Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
squistion

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news

GoBirds said:

Fortunately he's a master of milking the system with the kneeling act so he should pad his account nicely and we shouldn't have to ever see him take a snap in an NFL game ever again.

Is this sarcasm, trolling, ignorance, or other?

If Kaepernick wanted to milk the system, he would have renegotiated his contract with the 49ers or he would have accepted Elway's offer. Both times, he chose to decline a guarantee to take a huge risk.

He's been mostly unpaid for the past 18 months and I very much doubt that he anticipated getting a payday from Nike when he started the kneeling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

You obviously haven't seen Black Panther yet.

That price tag includes 100% mark up to spend on celebrity endorsements.

Weebs210 said:

My guess would be unemployment.

"Hello, I am a teacher. Just to re-iterate once again, I am a teacher."

"You must be unemployed. I've come to this conclusion based on the fact that you are posting at 1:20 in the afternoon"

THAT'S OUR WEEBS!!

Edited by Joe Summer
  • Like 2

Just now, Joe Summer said:

"Hello, I am a teacher. Just to re-iterate once again, I am a teacher."

"You must be unemployed. I've come to this conclusion based on the fact that you are posting at 1:20 in the afternoon"

THAT'S OUR WEEBS!!

Is summer vacation over for teachers yet?

8 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Is this sarcasm, trolling, ignorance, or other?

If Kaepernick wanted to milk the system, he would have renegotiated his contract with the 49ers or he would have accepted Elway's offer. Both times, he chose to decline a guarantee to take a huge risk.

He's been mostly unpaid for the past 18 months and I very much doubt that he anticipated getting a payday from Nike when he started the kneeling.

So there isn't collusion to keep him out of the league, eh?

• Like 2

Ramblin Wreck said:

So there isn't collusion to keep him out of the league, eh?

You of all people should know the difference between "isn't" and "wasn't", Mr. Nobody-is-using-the-word-'snowflake'.

Anyway, the alleged offer from Elway was during the 2016 offseason, long before he ever kneeled.

15 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

You of all people should know the difference between "isn't" and "wasn't", Mr. Nobody-is-using-the-word-'snowflake'.

Anyway, the alleged offer from Elway was during the 2016 offseason, long before he ever kneeled.

You seem triggered

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Milking the system?

Nuisance lawsuit to get a settlement once league wants it to go away, play the puppet for Nike to cash in on the current political environment etc. etc. He’ll pad his account nicely even though he ruined his football career. 

1 minute ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

You seem triggered

Stupidity has a way of doing that to some people. Keep it up and see how much further you can push him. 

• Like 5

Props to whoever came up with replacing him with Pat Tillman on the ad.....seeing a lot more of those on social media than CK. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Quick question:

At a sewage plant, does the scum rise to the top or does it sink to the bottom? 

Need to nail the metaphor for this thread. TIA

3 hours ago, rodg12 said:

#BoycottStarbucks for hiring refugees and announcing they will no longer use straws. #BoycottWalmart because they sold an Impeach 45 shirt. #BoycottBudweiser due to their immigrant friendly super bowl ad. Etc, etc, etc. The #MAGA crowd specializes in hissy fits.

To be fair so does the left.  In'N'Out. Chik-Fil-A.  Hobby lobby.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

And it's our right to come here to criticize and complain about it all.  Fun, isn't it?

sure

thing about this subject is - you can't tell me what I find offensive and what I can't just as I can't tell you the same. so, its very valid that Kap offended a lot of people - they say he did by their actions, and equally true some people could care less. Some people could care less if you wiped your butt with the US flag too - there are just people like that

what we know for a fact, is the NFL lost after Kap did those antics ........ we know Kap lost his contract and elite job. We know fans were so pissed it pushed the NFL to make some kind of standing rule. We know that NIKE has taken a huge chance here

2 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

All of this is totally reasonable except maybe the bolded.  If the teams collectively decided together to make sure he didn't get on a roster (blackballed him, rather than individual teams making that decision) they're potentially in some trouble.

can never be proven

Ray Rice could still ball .... the negative that came with him? Not worth it. You will see this more and more in the future, thug behavior, inappropriate stuff, anything to stop that flow of money and players will be sent to the streets over higher quality guys that can play just as well and Kap ? he wasn't elite, he was a solid NFL player but he wasn't HOF by any means

3 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

can never be proven

Ray Rice could still ball .... the negative that came with him? Not worth it. You will see this more and more in the future, thug behavior, inappropriate stuff, anything to stop that flow of money and players will be sent to the streets over higher quality guys that can play just as well and Kap ? he wasn't elite, he was a solid NFL player but he wasn't HOF by any means

Do me a favor and go get me Ray Rice’s numbers for his final year. 

• Like 2

Remember when Air Jordan 1 (or Air Ship) was "banned" by the NBA and Nike used that controversy to drive epic sales during Jordan's rookie season. I still think that was one of the most clever ad campaigns of all time. This Kaepernick thing is like the opposite of all that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoBirds said:

Props to whoever came up with replacing him with Pat Tillman on the ad.....seeing a lot more of those on social media than CK. :thumbup:

Mrs. Tillman has already made a statement saying she doesn’t want people using her husband’s death to be used this way.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

Under Armour got killed when its CEO expressed support for President Trump after the election, and they were forced to bail on him (serving on one of his Councils) after the president's Charlottesville comments. They will steer as far away from this as possible.

As much as we all might hate to admit it, athletic apparel companies just don't give a #### about middle-aged white dads who buy a new pair of sneakers every two years and get their workout clothes at Target. I don't mean to disparage such people, since I am one of them. But we're basically irrelevant in their eyes, especially since Nike exited the golf equipment market two years ago. And people like us are basically the only people who are gonna get mad about this in significant numbers.

The main problem with Under Armour is that their sales were too concentrated in North America. I think it accounted for 80% of sales at the time and they took a US hit even as they grew international sales. Nike is a global brand with over half of sales outside North America. So even though I think this Kaepernick campaign will prove to be a failure in the US, the rest of the world probably isn't going to care very much either way.

2 minutes ago, Short Corner said:

As is Adidas, Puma....

Yeah, but nobody cares about Puma and Adidas is still chasing that high from the mid-90s Korn song. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Yeah, but nobody cares about Puma and Adidas is still chasing that high from the mid-90s Korn song. 

X2

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Mrs. Tillman has already made a statement saying she doesn’t want people using her husband’s death to be used this way.  

I respect that for sure, yet he would be a million times more deserving. Much respect that they wouldn’t. 

• Like 2

Just now, GROOT said:

I didn’t deny the validity of the news. I simply asked if you really should be posting anything from rt.com. It immediately outs you as non-trustworthy.

4 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

I respect that for sure, yet he would be a million times more deserving. Much respect that they wouldn’t. 

He truly made a sacrifice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

He truly made a sacrifice.

Tillman gave up his career to serve his country and made the ultimate sacrifice while seeking no attention for it and apparently his family honors that making no attempt to cash in.

Whoever came up with that couldn’t have corrected the Nike political exploit any better  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

wtf kind of shoes you rocking these days? 

That’s for me to know and you to find out.  Stylish.

Edited by bradyfan

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

As I recall Tillman was a big fan of Noam Chomsky and Howard Zinn. I'd guess someone with that ideology would be more likely to kneel with Kaepernick than condemn him. That's just a guess though.

• Like 5

He often mocked former national security adviser H.R. McMaster behind his back, puffing up his chest and exaggerating his breathing as he impersonated the retired Army general, and once said McMaster dresses in cheap suits, "like a beer salesman."

A real patriot this guy is. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Pretty disrespectful to use Tillman's image like that when people who knew him well have said he'd be kneeling right alongside Kaepernick. Using a dead man's image and legend as some kind of statement against a cause he'd probably have believed in if he were still alive is awful. 

Also, to your overall point, we all create our own curated social media bubble. Of course you're seeing more of stuff like that on your own timelines. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Workhorse said:

The more interesting question is this: If the campaign is successful and drives revenue for Nike, will an NFL team finally sign him?  To me, this is setting up a permission structure for his return to the NFL since it may show owners that bringing him aboard won’t negatively affect their bottom line.

Unfortunately I think it would negatively effect their bottom lines though.  At least in a lot of markets.

When Baltimore was rumored to be talking to Kaepernick you had people going insane over it locally.  Whole news cycle lasted maybe a half week but you immediately had people talking about ripping up season tickets, burning jerseys all that stuff.

I haven’t seen our fan base ever unite against a player like that without video evidence that they like to get drunk and sucker punch their girlfriends in random elevators.  But with Ray Rice it was mostly sadness where this was raw anger.

There’s something about Kaepernick lots of NFL fans find threatening, and the whole thing’s gotten too big for that to probably ever change while he’s young enough to make an NFL roster based on talent.

5 minutes ago, jtp1982 said:

There’s something about Kaepernick lots of NFL fans find threatening

Huh. Wonder what it could be?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Pure garbage. Whoever made that doesn’t know jack about Pat Tillman.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Officer Pete Malloy said:

Pure garbage. Whoever made that doesn’t know jack about Pat Tillman.

Your posting? Completely agree. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

I can competently see her point, her and her family did indeed sacrifice everything for something they believed in.  She has every right to hold this view and to make this statement. She has my respect.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Pretty disrespectful to use Tillman's image like that when people who knew him well have said he'd be kneeling right alongside Kaepernick. Using a dead man's image and legend as some kind of statement against a cause he'd probably have believed in if he were still alive is awful. 

Also, to your overall point, we all create our own curated social media bubble. Of course you're seeing more of stuff like that on your own timelines. 

Weird didn’t know you knew Tillman personally and how he would react as fact? Amazing. 

http://patrioticexpress.com/american-sniper-wife-ends-silence-goes-directly-after-nike-and-kaepernick/

If you don’t get it after this, I can’t help you.