squistion

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news

12,567 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Qanon said:

You better buy a lot of shirts, because Nike is going to lose big on their stupidity. Way too much competition in this field. 

Long after people, like you, buy extra Nike crap, many millions will not forget for years.

There are more of me than threre are of you in this country. The pendulum is going to swing back hard and your group is going to ##### and moan for a long time. Buckle up. 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, msommer said:

Oopsy. Seems like someone is making assumptions about Tillman and his opinions . Right, @Da Guru?

Yes..without a doubt.

If you have followed this at all I do not care who kneels. To say that Tillman would do this or do that years after his death is absurd as we have no idea what his thought process would be on this topic.

Edited by Da Guru
1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Jim Tan said:

Well, no.  I was banned, apparently, for using a term that means “nuts” or “sack”...or maybe it was the context.  

Maybe I was reported or maybe FBG Mod saw my post and did what they thought was prudent.  Either way, fine.

Anyone who has been around here for any considerable length of time knows I don’t hide.  Call me out, cool.  I stand by what I post. Especially if it has to do with pure BS/cognitive dissonance/jingoism.

There are, at minimum, 25 people that post here that know my name etc. My FB friends profile includes prolific and well respected  posters on this board and a few staff.  That’s not bragging.  I’m, to a certain extent, an open book.

Yep, I’ve crossed the line. I’ve violated the TOS. I’ve pissed off members and mods alike.  I’ve been banned more than Catcher in the Rye.  And I accept it.

But I don’t hide.  I don’t bait.  I use aliases only out of necessity.  

Sweetest name since my Steve handle was banned. Btw getting pinched for that is sad, you hooked a player and were given a match penalty 

11 hours ago, GoBirds said:

You are crushing it in mommy’s basement tonight!:lmao:

Don't

2 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Maybe you didn’t read the article? Also you are doing exactly what you say not to. 

How is saying what they want not what they want?

The new Lebrons are 10x more offensive than the Kaep campaign. 

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, Epic Problem said:

The new Lebrons are 10x more offensive than the Kaep campaign. 

"Ah. Thank you. A shoe for me. You made me a shoe! A basketball sneaker with gold accents, snakeskin trim and shackles. Just what women want."

:lmao:

12 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Whoa, guy was trying to help a mentally unstable veteran suffering from PTSD. I can't say 100% his reason in doing so, but I think it is reasonable to assume his role in the military brought him down a path trying to help other military guys suffering from some sort of mental disorder or PTSD. 

If I understand you correctly, a guy that served his country and was billed a hero, then afterwards used his hero status and tried to help other veterans (who he knew ahead of time could be dangerous) readjust to life, didn't die serving his country? That is your statement, correct? 

I think that we are a little off the beaten track here, but yes, I think it is a little weird to say that a private citizen who got shot by a deranged person died "in service to his country."  I mean, we can quibble, like you have, about whether volunteering with vets is acting "in service to your country."  If you want to call it that, that's your perogative and I won't object.  My main purpose for writing that it to point out that he didn't die in active duty.

But it's silly, because I don't really think it matters.  I don't think service-people have a monopoly on advocating for "american ideals."  And invoking the military here at all is misplaced.  So it's getting WAY off-track to talk about whether someone's military service is "good enough." 

Nike and Colin planned this from the beginning. It is so brilliant I cant even believe it. First you have to have Colin have some jaw dropping performances, like when he ran all over the field against the packers. Then you have to have a straight line regression and eventually cap it off with leading your team to one win in your final go round with them. Of course you need to show continued regression not just a sudden drop off otherwise teams may still try to sign you after you have just one bad year. Now here is where it gets tricky. You need to come up with a protest that is incredibly controversial, but that has a ton of support. They decided on the anthem and having Colin sit. They quickly realized the optics were really bad with Colin on his butt so they did a gentle shift to kneeling. Came up with a story about how a green beret came up with it, etc etc. 

Now they pretend that he still wants to play and mobilize all of the SJWs to take to the internet and point out some of his early career exploits and completely ignore the regression. The NFL scouts and execs of course realize that the 49ers went from the 12th ranked passing attack to consistently one of the bottom two. Then they see the controversy and realize, no freaking way. Colin goes unsigned for obvious reasons to those in the know, but not to people that buy nike. 

Wa lah. You have now created a martyr.

Well played Nike. Well played. 

6 minutes ago, Sweet J said:

I think that we are a little off the beaten track here, but yes, I think it is a little weird to say that a private citizen who got shot by a deranged person died "in service to his country."  I mean, we can quibble, like you have, about whether volunteering with vets is acting "in service to your country."  If you want to call it that, that's your perogative and I won't object.  My main purpose for writing that it to point out that he didn't die in active duty.

But it's silly, because I don't really think it matters.  I don't think service-people have a monopoly on advocating for "american ideals."  And invoking the military here at all is misplaced.  So it's getting WAY off-track to talk about whether someone's military service is "good enough." 

We left the path a while ago on this sidebar, we're out in the weeds straddling the fence line. With that being said, the comment came off as pretty disrespectful the way I read it and you said it twice. I'm not trying to be argumentative here either, but I find it extremely difficult (and somewhat oblivious) to say the guy didn't die serving his country. If he was on his way to Costco and got into a car accident, I can agree he didn't die while serving his country. He was using his military hero status to work with mentally destroyed veterans, knowing firsthand how dangerous these people can be if truly isolated. He wanted to help and rehabilitate people who have seen (same as him) some #### I couldn't imagine. To me, that is above and beyond service for your country and I can't fathom someone seeing it differently. To add, I'm very anti-gun, I think Japan is the only developed nation on Earth that has guns 100% correct, so the views Chris Kyle and FC42 have on guns are polar opposites of each other, I'm not some gun nut sitting around saying "Yay Sniper!"

About your second point, I agree, service people don't have a monopoly on advocating what can and can't be said or considered patriotic/right or wrong/etc.. However, if someone risks their life to provide a service for other Americans (while military is a large chunk of that, it also includes LEO & firefighters), that individual's opinion comes up slightly higher in the pecking order than any keyboard warrior in this thread (myself included). Those are my feelings - I wouldn't risk my life, leave my family, or anything close to that, nor do I think 99.9% of this forum would either, so by doing that, they've earned more respect than me, you, etc in this regard. Without them, our lives would be much different, and not for the better. 

The first part of my post I don't even really think is debatable, the latter can obviously be debated, but that is my opinion and nothing is going to move me off of it. 

4 people like this

In case his  voice is not recognizable to all, Kaepernick is not just featured in his part, but narrates throughout the ad.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Mystery Achiever said:

In case his  voice is not recognizable to all, Kaepernick is not just featured in his part, but narrates throughout the ad.

I did not pick up on that. Thanks for noting.

FYI the first guy in that ad I believe in Nyjah Houston, who is a skateboarding genius. He won some champs at like age 14 or something. Dude is nuts.

2 people like this

Local conservative radio guy this morning sounded genuinely sad and confused that Nike stock is on its way back up.

1 person likes this

Business Insider had a story yesterday about NKE being bought 300% more than sold on Robinhood, which skews young. Ownership of their stock among its users increased 18% in less than a week.

Edited by Mystery Achiever
1 person likes this

There is so much comedy here...there is a group unhinged because Kaepernick is in an ad and there is a group that is cheering on Nike for doing this...meanwhile there is a group of execs in Oregon laughing at both sides as they get ready to cash in...mission accomplished Nike...this maybe the most bi-partisan thing I have seen in years as both sides are being played for fools...

17 hours ago, Officer Pete Malloy said:

I can’t tell you how much I was hoping that Chris Kyle’s wife would jump in and clear things up.

Classless post here

2 people like this

40 minutes ago, Boston said:

There is so much comedy here...there is a group unhinged because Kaepernick is in an ad and there is a group that is cheering on Nike for doing this...meanwhile there is a group of execs in Oregon laughing at both sides as they get ready to cash in...mission accomplished Nike...this maybe the most bi-partisan thing I have seen in years as both sides are being played for fools...

I don’t see many people cheerleading Nike, but even if there were a lot of those people how exactly would they be getting “played for fools”?  The don’t care if Nike cashes in on the Kaepernick play. In fact they might even prefer it. 

Just now, TobiasFunke said:

I don’t see many people cheerleading Nike, but even if there were a lot of those people how exactly would they be getting “played for fools”?  The don’t care if Nike cashes in on the Kaepernick play. In fact they might even prefer it. 

Pass...I think my post speaks for itself...no need to get caught in the web...

9 minutes ago, Boston said:

As does his.  Nike backers aren't being played.  We know full well what is going on here.  But thanks for your concern.

10 minutes ago, Boston said:

It doesn't and I think I explained why, but OK.

14 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Wat?

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

It doesn't and I think I explained why, but OK.

I think the argument would be Nike is attempting to appear sympathetic to social issues so people buy their stuff. 

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I think the argument would be Nike is attempting to appear sympathetic to social issues so people buy their stuff. 

:yes:

8 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Well yeah, of course they are. But the people who are support them doing so aren't being played for fools.  They're laughing their ###es off at conservatives throwing the exact kind of snowflake-y hissy fits they frequently mock, and otherwise are unaffected.  Unless you mean those people are also running out and buying a bunch of expensive Nike stuff they don't need to show support?  Now that would be stupid and getting played, but I haven't seen it happening.

Edited by TobiasFunke

3 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Nike and Colin planned this from the beginning. It is so brilliant I cant even believe it. First you have to have Colin have some jaw dropping performances, like when he ran all over the field against the packers. Then you have to have a straight line regression and eventually cap it off with leading your team to one win in your final go round with them. Of course you need to show continued regression not just a sudden drop off otherwise teams may still try to sign you after you have just one bad year. Now here is where it gets tricky. You need to come up with a protest that is incredibly controversial, but that has a ton of support. They decided on the anthem and having Colin sit. They quickly realized the optics were really bad with Colin on his butt so they did a gentle shift to kneeling. Came up with a story about how a green beret came up with it, etc etc. 

Now they pretend that he still wants to play and mobilize all of the SJWs to take to the internet and point out some of his early career exploits and completely ignore the regression. The NFL scouts and execs of course realize that the 49ers went from the 12th ranked passing attack to consistently one of the bottom two. Then they see the controversy and realize, no freaking way. Colin goes unsigned for obvious reasons to those in the know, but not to people that buy nike. 

Wa lah. You have now created a martyr.

Well played Nike. Well played. 

Just the fact that this ad drives people THIS nuts makes it a great ad.

Good lord.

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Well yeah, of course they are. But the people who are support them doing so aren't being played for fools.  They're laughing their ###es off at conservatives throwing the exact kind of snowflake-y hissy fits they frequently mock, and otherwise are unaffected.  Unless you mean those people are also running out and buying a bunch of expensive Nike stuff they don't need to show support?  Now that would be stupid and getting played, but I haven't seen it happening.

How would you see it happen? Didn't you say yesterday you weren't their market and don't buy their stuff? 

I would agree with you that people likely aren't running out and buying extra stuff, but they also haven't released any of the merchandise that is coming with this campaign. 

I think a large segment of the population would agree that if you go out and buy merchandise based on an ad campaign rather than the merits of the products themselves, you have in fact been played for a fool. 

2 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Just the fact that this ad drives people THIS nuts makes it a great ad.

Good lord.

You got duped by their long con. 

Why did the ad have a bunch of elite athletes at the top of their game and then focus on a bottom tier ex-QB?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Dickies said:

Local conservative radio guy this morning sounded genuinely sad and confused that Nike stock is on its way back up.

It's going up and down, the change either way truthfully isn't significant.

1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

How would you see it happen? Didn't you say yesterday you weren't their market and don't buy their stuff? 

I would agree with you that people likely aren't running out and buying extra stuff, but they also haven't released any of the merchandise that is coming with this campaign. 

I think a large segment of the population would agree that if you go out and buy merchandise based on an ad campaign rather than the merits of the products themselves, you have in fact been played for a fool. 

Sure, if you want to say everyone who is influenced by advertising (ie everyone) is being played for a fool than I suppose both sides are being played for fools here. But come on. One side is pretty clearly getting worked in a more egregious/hilarious way. Everyone gets influenced by advertising. Not everyone ends up inadvertently boosting a company that is playing on their over the top hatred of a guy who kneels during a song for fun and profit.

5 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Why did the ad have a bunch of elite athletes at the top of their game and then focus on a bottom tier ex-QB?

Because Nike marketing smaht like that..

5 minutes ago, GROOT said:

It's going up and down, the change either way truthfully isn't significant.

I agree, but yesterday he was in a state of euphoria when the stock plummeted.  Strange behavior either way.

Good for Kaepernick that he has found an alternative source of income, as it seems NFL is not in the cards.

1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Classless post here

But don't you dare use an emoji or say a poster is posting from his mom's basement!!   This place is a joke.

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, msommer said:

Good for Kaepernick that he has found an alternative source of income, as it seems NFL is not in the cards.

I’m glad the dude is getting paid, i just wish people would get over the fact that he no longer has what it takes to be successful in the NFL and just move on