Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
squistion

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news

For full disclosure, I care as little about patriotism as anyone you'll meet and think that anyone giving a rat's behind about the anthem is a silly goose. But I can see why Kaepernick's actions could be thought more meaningful to those that care about that sort of stuff than off-the-field criminal behavior, as they are done within the context of his role as a 49ers football player.

Edited by TakiToki

3 minutes ago, squistion said:

And how many of those challenged systemic racism in this country? Maybe that is why Kaep made Time's list but none of your cast of 1000s did.

How many school teachers challenge systematic racism in this country?  Did you really just ask that?  Thousands I imagine, every day. 

Edited by tonydead

I am already standing in line getting beers during the National anthem, or my hands are full from getting beers so at least I am standing or on my feet. 

5 minutes ago, squistion said:

:lmao: Funny you'd liked to lean on a strict interpretation of rule because you know I'm right. You're not that dumb that you don't get my point are you? 

Edited by tonydead

1 minute ago, tonydead said:

:lmao: Funny you'd liked to lean on a strict interpretation of rule because you know I'm right. You're not that dumb that you don't get my point are you? 

Do you even know the point you're trying to make?

2 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Funny you'd liked to lean on a strict interpretation of rule because you know I'm right. 

No, just along with others waiting for you to document your claim, to repeat Reg's question:

16 minutes ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

I want 1000 names

Edited by squistion

4 minutes ago, squistion said:

No, just along with others waiting for you to document your claim, to repeat Reg's question:

Look everybody someone else thought he was actually going to list out thousands of first and last names too!!  :lmao:

6 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Edited by tonydead

1 minute ago, tonydead said:

Look everybody someone else thought he was actually going to list out thousands of first and last names!!  :lmao:

Don't you hate it when someone quotes your exact words?

39 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I could name thousands of people more influential than this clown. 

6 minutes ago, squistion said:

Don't you hate it when someone quotes your exact words?

"School teachers" is a name for thousands of people.  Don't be obtuse. 

Never mind, forgot who I was taking to. Pigeons!

4 hours ago, Higgs said:

Are you serious?  You really think there needs to be an explicit rule dealing with something like this?  :lol:

Hint: Conduct detrimental to the league (which is very much in the CBA)

Don't quit your day job chief.

Is kneeling detrimental to the league? 

I'm curious, how many years did you serve in the military? I'm always amazed at the people that are bleeding red white and blue and know exactly how everyone should show their respect to the flag that have never served a day in their life.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Koya said:

I'd much rather the Giants have signed Kaep as their backup than Geno freakin' Smith. Geno is an immature selfish and self absorb ####### who is a cancer in his own locker room.  Kaep just let things get away from him with a well intended but poorly executed vein of protest (made much worse by the fact that the guy didnt even vote)

Even taking into account the difference in $$?  There's no way I'd want the Giants paying their backup the kind of money it was rumored Kaep was looking for. 

13 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

Is kneeling detrimental to the league? 

I'm curious, how many years did you serve in the military? I'm always amazed at the people that are bleeding red white and blue and know exactly how everyone should show their respect to the flag that have never served a day in their life.

You don't need to have served in the military to have the view that Americans should show respect for the flag and the national anthem.  And yes, Kaep's protest was detrimental to the League.  It resulted in boycotts and ratings declined.

7 minutes ago, Higgs said:

And yes, Kaep's protest was detrimental to the League.  It resulted in boycotts and ratings declined.

You haven't shown that at all. You provided ONE Rasmussen poll and one poll asking people about their perceptions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christo said:

You've got to be kidding. The old, white guys went ballistic. Kaepernick influenced a hell of a lot of people. Maybe not the way he wanted. But to say all he did was elicit a yawn is ignorant.

I guess. 

But in 1968, when those two track guys raised their fists (the best analogy we have) that was a huge huge deal, they were on the cover of every magazine. Compared to that this was pretty minor IMO. 

29 minutes ago, Higgs said:

913 people polled.

23% say they are watching fewer games.  That's 210 people.

25% of that 210 say it's because of the Anthem crap.  That's 52.5 people. We'll round that up to 53.

53 out of 913 people say they are watching fewer games because of the Anthem protests.

That's about 5.8%

LESS THAN 6% OF THE PEOPLE POLLED SAID THEYRE WATCHING FEWER GAMES BECAUSE OF THE ANTHEM PROTESTS.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tonydead said:

How many school teachers challenge systematic racism in this country?  Did you really just ask that?  Thousands I imagine, every day. 

How many can you name?

49 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I guess. 

But in 1968, when those two track guys raised their fists (the best analogy we have) that was a huge huge deal, they were on the cover of every magazine. Compared to that this was pretty minor IMO. 

Why are you comparing it to that?  This list isn't the 100 most influential people in history.  If you don't think Kapepernick was influencing people last year, despite if you agreed or disagreed with his methods, you're fooling yourself.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shuke said:

Why are you comparing it to that?  This list isn't the 100 most influential people in history.  If you don't think Kapepernick was influencing people last year, despite if you agreed or disagreed with his methods, you're fooling yourself.

Great, now we know what the next list will be.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

913 people polled.

25% of that 210 say it's because of the Anthem crap.  That's 52.5 people. We'll round that up to 53.

53 out of 913 people say they are watching fewer games because of the Anthem protests.

That's about 5.8%

LESS THAN 6% OF THE PEOPLE POLLED SAID THEYRE WATCHING FEWER GAMES BECAUSE OF THE ANTHEM PROTESTS.

no one likes math

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

I hate math too...but it took about 3 minutes with my calculator to figure out those numbers.

OMG LOOK AT ME I HAVE A WATCH CALCULATOR

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

913 people polled.

That's about 5.8%

Wasn't the decline in NFL viewership this year about 11%, so according to your math, about half of that decline was due to Kap?  I'd say that's significant and could be considered "influential."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Buttonhook said:

Wasn't the decline in NFL viewership this year about 11%, so according to your math, about half of that decline was due to Kap?  I'd say that's significant and could be considered "influential."

No clue what the actual numbers were and those numbers weren't included in the poll that Higgs posted.

All I know is that he posted a poll showing that less than 6% of the people polled said they were watching less NFL because of the National Anthem protests.  

Protests during the national anthem 25%

Too many commercial interruptions 10%

Match-ups aren’t as good 10%

Too many games on TV 8%

More interest in the election 3%

Other (or don’t know) 44% 

And notice that 44% don't even know why in the hell they don't want to watch the games.  

Edited by Reg Lllama of Brixton

12 minutes ago, Buttonhook said:

He was also pretty influential in a lot of those 49er loses. 

36 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

He was also pretty influential in a lot of those 49er loses. '

His receivers didn't help him out much either:

Cian Fahey@Cianaf 

Colin Kaepernick:

Interceptable pass rate: 2.11% (2nd in NFL)

Accuracy: 74.92% (14th)

Receptions lost to receiver error: 11.78% (1st)

36 minutes ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

No clue what the actual numbers were and those numbers weren't included in the poll that Higgs posted.

All I know is that he posted a poll showing that less than 6% of the people polled said they were watching less NFL because of the National Anthem protests.  

And notice that 44% don't even know why in the hell they don't want to watch the games.  

And I'm sure that, when given the option, Joe Bob Yokel is going to allow words to be put in his mouth.

Pollster: If given these reasons (see ones noted above), why aren't you tuning into NFL games?

Joe Bob Yokel: 'Murica

13 hours ago, Limp Ditka said:

Hide contents

no one likes math

Boy you suck at math as much as English.  Did you go to any classes in high school?

A 5.7% loss is hugely significant.  The NFL's TV deal takes in $4.6 billion a year and depends on ratings remaining the same.  That's just one revenue stream for the League.  A 5.7% loss applied to $4.6 billion is $232 million.  This obviously isn't an exact number of the Kaepernick Effect but I'm using it to illustrate the scale of the numbers involved. 

You guys really want to keep arguing that Kaepernick didn't cost the league money?  Because you are looking extremely dumb right about now.

Edited by Higgs

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

Boy you suck at math as much as English.  Did you go to any classes in high school?

A 5.7% loss is hugely significant.  The NFL's TV deal takes in $4.6 billion a year and depends on ratings remaining the same.  That's just one revenue stream for the League.  A 5.7% loss applied to $4.6 billion is $232 million.  This obviously isn't an exact number of the Kaepernick Effect but I'm using it to illustrate the scale of the numbers involved. 

You guys really want to keep arguing that Kaepernick didn't cost the league money?  Because you are looking extremely dumb right about now.

You swing and miss more often than a little leaguer facing Kershaw would.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/01/04/tv-ratings-2016-season-cbs-fox-espn-nbc/96163230/

“Presidential elections have always had an impact on our ratings, so we were prepared for a dip this season,” Brian Rolapp, the NFL’s executive vice president of media, wrote in an email to USA TODAY Sports.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Higgs said:

It's still 5.7% no matter how much money is involved.  

24 minutes ago, Limp Ditka said:

And the number of viewers went up after the election.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

Wrong.  Again.  https://www.recode.net/2017/2/4/14508632/nfl-tv-ratings-down-moffettnathanson

A sure sign you are on the wrong side of an issue - when your main proponent is Squigeon.

23 minutes ago, Reg Lllama of Brixton said:

3 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Wrong.  Again.  https://www.recode.net/2017/2/4/14508632/nfl-tv-ratings-down-moffettnathanson

A sure sign you are on the wrong side of an issue - when your main proponent is Squigeon.

:lmao:

That's right. He's wrong. The numbers didn't go up after the election.

I believe it is time for a new element on the periodic chart. Hi for Higgsium.

[Maury] Osmium..... you are NOT the densest element. [/Maury]

12 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Screen_Shot_2017_02_04_at_11.28.30_AM.png

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5834d226/turbine/la-fi-ct-g-nfl-ratings-20161117/750/750x422

Week 10 was the first week after the election.

Wait...you're telling me that the number of views after the election was not higher than before the election?

4 minutes ago, Limp Ditka said:

:lmao:

That's right. He's wrong. The numbers didn't go up after the election.

I believe it is time for a new element on the periodic chart. Hi for Higgsium.

[Maury] Osmium..... you are NOT the densest element. [/Maury]

Wow.  Did you play high school football and take too many shots to the head?  Nah, my image of you is the wannabe jock, stat geek.

Ratings did not "ho up" relative to last year, even after the election.  Pre-election, ratings were down 12 percent over the previous year. And after the election — and including the playoffs — they were down 5 percent over the previous year.

But in your little mind I guess you think that because the ratings improved after the election, somehow this proves your larger point that Kaepernick didn't cost the NFL money?  Holy cow you are one ignorant dude.

To be fair, Higgs you never said where you stand on whether or not you think Colin Kaepernick was one of the 100 most influential people of 2016.

5 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

fixed, hth

Oh now you want a piece of this GI Joe?  You gonna join the three headed idiot squad?  You'll fit right in.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Wow.  Did you play high school football and take too many shots to the head?  Nah, my image of you is the wannabe jock, stat geek.

Ratings did not "ho up" relative to last year, even after the election.  Pre-election, ratings were down 12 percent over the previous year. And after the election — and including the playoffs — they were down 5 percent over the previous year.

But in your little mind I guess you think that because the ratings improved after the election, somehow this proves your larger point that Kaepernick didn't cost the NFL money?  Holy cow you are one ignorant dude.

22.62g/cm3

Edited by Limp Ditka

Just now, CGRdrJoe said:

To be fair, Higgs you never said where you stand on whether or not you think Colin Kaepernick was one of the 100 most influential people of 2016.

I think he was influential.  In a bad way.