What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (3 Viewers)

If Smith played, he would've taken a couple more sacks, but would not have made rookie mistakes and the Niners probably pull off a 13-10 win.
Would he have completed the dead drop that Delanie Walker had for the game winner.
Receivers dropped balls when Smith was QB too. Funny how Smith haters never seem to acknowledge that. And without Kaep giving up those 10 points, the actual game winner would've been the TD scored in the first half.
We're talking about this specific game. How can you dismiss the drop that was layed into Walkers hands that would have won the game if completed?
butcher boy dropped the "Smith haters" on ya. He is a "Kaep hater".
Not a Kaep hater. I'm a "decision to start kaep this year instead of next" hater.
Well then drop the "Smith hater" schtick. The 49ers aren't guaranteed a Championship with either.
This may be the most factual post in this thread.
Last season the 49ers cruised to 13-3. This season at best they will be 12-3-1. They have struggled in games with both Smith and Kaep, and now they are less 2 weapons on offense with Akers struggling big time, as opposed to last season where he had a huge impact. Both the defense and especially ST's have dropped a bit from last season. If Gore get's dinged or now has to take on a bigger load the rest of the season and in the post, then the 49ers have problems big time. The 49ers last season had the benefit of short FP yet still struggled in RZ and on 3rd down. It's gonna take an arm that can stretch a defense out vertically in order for them to have a shot.

The 49ers aren't guaranteed a Championship with either.
Last season the 49ers cruised to 13-3. This season at best they will be 12-3-1. They have struggled in games with both Smith and Kaep, and now they are less 2 weapons on offense with Akers struggling big time, as opposed to last season where he had a huge impact. Both the defense and especially ST's have dropped a bit from last season. If Gore get's dinged or now has to take on a bigger load the rest of the season and in the post, then the 49ers have problems big time. The 49ers last season had the benefit of short FP yet still struggled in RZ and on 3rd down. It's gonna take an arm that can stretch a defense out vertically in order for them to have a shot.
Im wondering if we will see the rookies this week. We NEED to fill the gaps from injury, and now is a good a time as ever to get them some reps. Jacobs isnt the answer as a change of pace back, in fact Ive said it all seaosn, he was a complete waste of money. As far as Akers goes....I just dont know. Every time he lines up for a kick I get nervous, which never happened last year. Weird how some kickers just "lose it" from one year to the next (see Gramatica, Rackers, etc).

Im wondering if we will see the rookies this week. We NEED to fill the gaps from injury, and now is a good a time as ever to get them some reps. Jacobs isnt the answer as a change of pace back, in fact Ive said it all seaosn, he was a complete waste of money. As far as Akers goes....I just dont know. Every time he lines up for a kick I get nervous, which never happened last year. Weird how some kickers just "lose it" from one year to the next (see Gramatica, Rackers, etc).
Moss seems a bit wasted out there too. If Moss is any indication of what Harbaugh will do with the rooks, is that he will only put them in certain downs. What the hell happened to Dixon? I dunno about Akers either, but for sure they will find another K. Like I said, he may have shot all his bullets last season.

While I would also like to see SF bring in another kicker, talking about these things is better suited for the Niners thread. This thread should focus a bit more on Kaepernick. :thumbup:

OK, to keep the on-topic conversation going here's a question for anyone supporting the change to Kaepernick.

If Kaep continues to go through rookie growing pains like he did last week, and it costs us both the first round bye and results in an early exit from the playoffs, will you still be in support of the decision Harbaugh made? If this scenario happens, do you think it'll have been worth effectively sacraficing this year to give Kaep some valuable late season/playoff experience?

OK, to keep the on-topic conversation going here's a question for anyone supporting the change to Kaepernick.If Kaep continues to go through rookie growing pains like he did last week, and it costs us both the first round bye and results in an early exit from the playoffs, will you still be in support of the decision Harbaugh made? If this scenario happens, do you think it'll have been worth effectively sacraficing this year to give Kaep some valuable late season/playoff experience?
Is anybody questioning Pete Carroll right now?

While I would also like to see SF bring in another kicker, talking about these things is better suited for the Niners thread. This thread should focus a bit more on Kaepernick. :thumbup:
My link

OK, to keep the on-topic conversation going here's a question for anyone supporting the change to Kaepernick.If Kaep continues to go through rookie growing pains like he did last week, and it costs us both the first round bye and results in an early exit from the playoffs, will you still be in support of the decision Harbaugh made? If this scenario happens, do you think it'll have been worth effectively sacraficing this year to give Kaep some valuable late season/playoff experience?
No, but the Seahawks weren't two fumbled punt returns from the Superbowl last year either. Completely different situation.

OK, to keep the on-topic conversation going here's a question for anyone supporting the change to Kaepernick.

If Kaep continues to go through rookie growing pains like he did last week, and it costs us both the first round bye and results in an early exit from the playoffs, will you still be in support of the decision Harbaugh made? If this scenario happens, do you think it'll have been worth effectively sacraficing this year to give Kaep some valuable late season/playoff experience?
No, but the Seahawks weren't two fumbled punt returns from the Superbowl last year either. Completely different situation.
But the 49ers had only one completion for a 1st down in that game. Try to keep up here, since this was discussed already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I would still support the decision. Everyone is talking about how the Rams loss cost us the 2nd seed. Lets say they won that game, but lose in NE next week or in SEA the week after. There goes the 2nd seed again. Any loss form last week on could cost them a the 2nd seed. Too much focus is on that Rams game. Fisher had a solid plan against us - stop the run and make the young QB beat them. Plan executed. Second, like Drummer said, the 49ers arent guaranteed a ring with either QB. I felt like Kaep would beat Alex out next season anyway, so for me, Id rather see him starting now, and get some playoff experience to build on, EVEN IF IT MEANS NO RING THIS YEAR. Yes Id like to see them get one this year, but with the injuries mounting up, it would be tough sledding even with steady Alex in there. Personally, going into this season I believed they would regress a bit from last season, and in year #3 of Harbaugh's reign we would see a serious SB run with all the pieces in place. All of a sudden, that looks like it could be the case. This season feels more like "Lets show them last year wasnt a fluke" instead of "This is our season". The rookies should be involved next year, Kaep will have valuable playoff experience, as well as a full offseason under Harbs as a starter to build chemistry/timing with his receivers and the offense in general, and it will be Super Bowl or bust. Could it mean we get bounced in the playoffs this season? Absolutely. But Im fine with that if it means wee will have a good young QB entrenched as the starter for years to come.

But the 49ers had only one completion in that game. Try to keep up here, since this was discussed already.
Tough to keep up when you never seem to get the point. If the Niners were in the Seahawks position this year, that is, if they weren't a Superbowl front-winner, I'd have a much different opinion about the change. Can't compare it to Carrol's situation. I'm all for Kaep being the starter next year.

You also still havent really answered the question I posted. It's not meant to be an argument. Just genuinely curious.

Yes I would still support the decision. Everyone is talking about how the Rams loss cost us the 2nd seed. Lets say they won that game, but lose in NE next week or in SEA the week after. There goes the 2nd seed again. Any loss form last week on could cost them a the 2nd seed. Too much focus is on that Rams game. Fisher had a solid plan against us - stop the run and make the young QB beat them. Plan executed. Second, like Drummer said, the 49ers arent guaranteed a ring with either QB. I felt like Kaep would beat Alex out next season anyway, so for me, Id rather see him starting now, and get some playoff experience to build on, EVEN IF IT MEANS NO RING THIS YEAR. Yes Id like to see them get one this year, but with the injuries mounting up, it would be tough sledding even with steady Alex in there. Personally, going into this season I believed they would regress a bit from last season, and in year #3 of Harbaugh's reign we would see a serious SB run with all the pieces in place. All of a sudden, that looks like it could be the case. This season feels more like "Lets show them last year wasnt a fluke" instead of "This is our season". The rookies should be involved next year, Kaep will have valuable playoff experience, as well as a full offseason under Harbs as a starter to build chemistry/timing with his receivers and the offense in general, and it will be Super Bowl or bust. Could it mean we get bounced in the playoffs this season? Absolutely. But Im fine with that if it means wee will have a good young QB entrenched as the starter for years to come.
:thumbup: Thanks. This makes a lot of sense.

But the 49ers had only one completion in that game. Try to keep up here, since this was discussed already.
Tough to keep up when you never seem to get the point. If the Niners were in the Seahawks position this year, that is, if they weren't a Superbowl front-winner, I'd have a much different opinion about the change. Can't compare it to Carrol's situation. I'm all for Kaep being the starter next year.

You also still havent really answered the question I posted. It's not meant to be an argument. Just genuinely curious.
I did answer the question. You wanted to boot back into last season's NFCC blaming the game on KW. VD had the biggest impact out of all the receivers in that game. The rest of the targets had meager yards. Really meager yards. Carroll is rolling the dice with a rook. Many other teams are rolling the dice with a rook this season. Many did last season. Kaep isn't a rook. He has been exposed to the same offense Smith has outside of "Camp Alex". If Harbaugh spent a lot of time trying to work the kinks out of Smith's poor game from years past, he doesn't have that with Kaep. Harbaugh can mold Kaep more into the QB he needs than he can with Smith's ceiling. The passing offense has improved with Kaep already.

We've been over this already time and time again in this thread. You wanna boot it back into what you want to hear. Just go back and read this thread from the first page to the last. The answer is already there. You just can't let it go.

I did answer the question. You wanted to boot back into last season's NFCC blaming the game on KW. VD had the biggest impact out of all the receivers in that game. The rest of the targets had meager yards. Really meager yards. Carroll is rolling the dice with a rook. Many other teams are rolling the dice with a rook this season. Many did last season. Kaep isn't a rook. He has been exposed to the same offense Smith has outside of "Camp Alex". If Harbaugh spent a lot of time trying to work the kinks out of Smith's poor game from years past, he doesn't have that with Kaep. Harbaugh can mold Kaep more into the QB he needs than he can with Smith's ceiling. The passing offense has improved with Kaep already.

We've been over this already time and time again in this thread. You wanna boot it back into what you want to hear. Just go back and read this thread from the first page to the last. The answer is already there. You just can't let it go.
No. You answered it with another question "Is anybody questioning Pete Carroll right now?" Contrast this to attache case who actually answered it in a way that could further the discussion rather than being argumentative.

No. You answered it with another question "Is anybody questioning Pete Carroll right now?" Contrast this to attache case who actually answered it in a way that could further the discussion rather than being argumentative.
Are you asking me if I'm on board with this decision? Seriously?

Are you asking me if I'm on board with this decision? Seriously?
No, that's not what I was asking. Probably best if we just forget about it at this point. Not worth it.

My whole 49er mantra for years was "Get a real QB and #1 WR". So far Harbaugh and the FO are doing that. Now all of the sudden 49er fans are questioning the very same "In Harbaugh We Trust" mantra for he making a move that makes more sense than it doesn't, with the numbers backing it up. Bill Walsh told Bruce Allen while visiting TB years ago - not long before he passed on - to keep stockpiling QBs because you could never have enough of them. Now that we've seen Harbaugh do that, it seems his visits with Walsh have the same effect. How many QB's did Walsh have in his stable? He had Montana, Young, and Bono all at once. They all could run his offense, with Bono more 'Montana like' in delivery than the fiery Young. Since Walsh, the 49ers haven't found a 'real QB'. They did have Garcia, Rice and Owens, which was the last time the 49er passing offense put up real numbers. Who knows if Kaep is a 'real QB' at this point, but IMO he has the upside to become one. It doesn't mean that I don't want them to stop trying to find either a real QB or #1 WR either.

On the safety, let's not forget that Kaep ran backwards about 8 yards into the end zone. If he stays in the pocket, he either throws the ball away or takes the sack. Either way: No Safety.There was plenty of fault to go around.. coaches and playcalling, Kaep's performance, Walker's missed catch, Aker's missed field goal, and Goldson's horrible decision to go after a sliding QB (which put them in FG range.)Overall, I'm still behind Kaep and will chalk this up to inexperience. But Norcalhoya brings up a good point.. if Smith made the same mistakes that Kaep did today, he gets completely lambasted for it.
Kaep has the luxury of making a few mistakes in his 3rd start. Smith doesn't have the luxury of making those kind of mistakes because he was making them in 2005, 2006, 2007, WE WANT CARR! game, etc.ETA: gotta include 2012 against NYG too.

My guess is Harbaugh knows a little bit more then us in regards to his Quartebacks and football in general, so yes I support his move regardless of the outcome.

Lunchtime Sando on Kaep

Colin Kaepernick was conservative and at times overwhelmed by pressure in Week 13.

His average pass length was 5.8 yards downfield against the St. Louis Rams, a substantial decrease from how he aired it out in his first two starts.

Colin Kaepernick PassingThis Season as StarterAvg Pass Length<<Week 13 5.8Week 12 7.4Week 11 10.2>>Alex Smith: 7.5 this seasonKaepernick had one pass gain more than 30 yards in the game after five such plays in his first two starts.A deeper dive into the game using coaches’ film (which shows all 22 players on the field) reveals how the Rams’ defensive strategy dictated the 49ers’ conservative passing attack.

How the Rams took away Kaepernick’s arm

Kaepernick faced at least five pass rushers on 24 of 40 (60 percent) dropbacks against the Rams. That is the highest percentage of pressure the Rams have sent in a game over the last two seasons.

With fewer defenders in coverage because of additional pass rushers, the Rams provided the 49ers with plenty of cushion to sacrifice underneath throws rather than big plays. Specifically, their cornerbacks gave 49ers wide receivers at least five yards of space with no jam coverage on 33 of Kaepernick’s 40 dropbacks.

The 49ers adjusted to the Rams’ strategy by getting the ball out of Kaepernick’s hands quicker and keeping their routes short to avoid pressure and take what was open.

In the first quarter, the 49ers ran multiple routes further than 15 yards downfield on five of seven passing plays. After realizing they would not find the same downfield success as in Kaepernicks’ previous two starts, the 49ers had multiple receivers running such deep routes on six of 27 passing plays the rest of the game (excludes passing plays inside 10 yard line).

On average, Kaepernick released his pass 3.2 seconds after the snap, compared with 4.2 seconds in Week 12 against the Saints.

The Rams also bottled Kaepernick up when he escaped pressure and left the pocket (excluding his 50-yard scramble in the fourth quarter).

When outside the pocket, Kaepernick failed to complete any of his three passes, was sacked twice and was flagged for intentional grounding that resulted in a safety.

How will the Dolphins fare on Sunday in containing Kaepernick?

The Dolphins have allowed the second-highest completion percentage and Total QBR to quarterbacks on plays outside of the pocket this season.

Russell Wilson exposed the Dolphins’ problems against athletic quarterbacks in Week 12, completing 8-of-9 passes outside the pocket with a touchdown. Earlier this season, Andrew Luck completed all six of this passes outside the pocket for 89 yards against Miami.

While the Dolphins may struggle containing Kaepernick, he will have to make adjustments as defenses continue to adapt to his strengths.

The pressure isn’t going away, as no quarterback has seen a higher percentage of dropbacks against at least five pass rushers this season. Kaepernick hasn’t handled the pressure as well as Alex Smith, who has completed a league-best 72.2 percent of his passes against such pressure.

Code:
49ers QBs Facing 5+ Pass RushersThis Season	                Smith 	KaepernickPct of dropbacks 	34.1 	40.9<<Comp pct 	        72.2 	55.6Yds per att 	        8.5 	7.6TD-Int 	                8-1 	1-0Total QBR 	        83.6 	69.1>>Highest in NFL, min. 100 dropbacks

I'd be interested in seeing Kaep's YAC numbers vs. Smith. Alternatively, is there a stat that measures average pass length without YAC included? I've noticed our receivers getting about as much YAC under Kaep as they did under Smith.

I'd be interested in seeing Kaep's YAC numbers vs. Smith. Alternatively, is there a stat that measures average pass length without YAC included? I've noticed our receivers getting about as much YAC under Kaep as they did under Smith.
There are stats posted earlier in this thread on passes attempted over 15-20 yards. Smith faced defenses like in AZ and BUF that had a lot of YAC due to the both poor defenses respectively. It may or may not be a true representation between QB's because of the playcalling, and Kaep's 'fastball' game vs. Smith's 'slow pitch'.

Kaep's teammates firmly behind him

SANTA CLARA -- Colin Kaepernick said teammates encouraged him to "move on" from his first loss as the 49ers' starting quarterback and focus on the upcoming visit by the Miami Dolphins.

Among Kaepernick's boosters is left tackle Joe Staley, who hasn't let his friendship with Alex Smith cause any hint of a divided locker room.

"Colin is our quarterback, and I support him 100 percent," Staley said Wednesday. "The whole team is behind him and wants him to succeed, and help the team succeed. We're happy to have him back there."

Kaepernick won his first two starts before Sunday's 16-13 overtime loss at St. Louis. Asked if he's willing to commit to Kaepernick for the rest of the season, coach Jim Harbaugh replied: "We've got faith in Colin and the way he plays. Therefore, another start this week."

Kaepernick said the biggest thing he learned in defeat was he "can't make mistakes." He was pleased, however, with how well he read defenses and went through his receiving progressions.

Kaepernick sounded unfazed by recent publicity over his widespread tattoos, his birth mother's wish to reconnect and his pet tortoise, which has its own Twitter account. "It's not a problem for me," Kaepernick said of those off-field matters. "I don't read any of that stuff. I'm here for football."

- Harbaugh was still agonizing over Sunday's call that resulted in an errant pitch and the Rams' tying touchdown. "It's like somebody reached into your chest and stomach and started pulling the innards out without using any anesthesia," said Harbaugh, adding that coaches didn't provide an audible option for that play.

Harbaugh didn't take offense to Rams coach Jeff Fisher's postgame comment, in which Fisher wondered what the 49ers were "trying to accomplish" on that play. Harbaugh thought Fisher was merely being "quizzical" rather than disrespectful, though he added: "That's low-hanging fruit -- 'What the heck were they doing?' "

- With Smith's career seemingly in limbo again, that conjures up memories of his free-agency visit March 11 to Miami. "He's a first-class individual and an excellent football player," Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said Wednesday. "You can tell he's a team guy, an unselfish guy, loves the game."

Did the Dolphins love Smith enough to make him an offer? "We had a great visit, and we'll leave it at that," Philbin responded. "Any relationship takes two sides to tango."

Two days later, Smith re-signed with the 49ers on a three-year, $24 million deal.

- Harbaugh said his brief acting career "has been all downhill" since a 1996 cameo in "Saved By The Bell: The New Class," an episode that's gone viral this week on YouTube. Appearing as himself during his Indianapolis Colts heyday, Harbaugh preached a familiar message in the show: "People think I'm a hero because I can throw a football. But I wouldn't be anything without my teammates."

In the episode's conclusion, Harbaugh delivers a powerful slap to the back of his cousin Screech (played by Dustin Diamond). It's a scene Harbaugh reenacted 15 years later in a controversial postgame encounter with Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz. "There's the evidence that it's just a normal handshake!" Harbaugh joked Wednesday.

- Cornerback Tarell Brown did not practice for the first time this season after aggravating a knee injury Sunday. Chris Culliver, his likely replacement in the starting lineup, suited up for practice but left at the start after apparently becoming ill.

- Wide receiver Mario Manningham's aggravated shoulder injury kept him out of practice. Kicker David Akers (pelvis) and linebacker Aldon Smith (shoulder) were limited. New to to the injury report but fully practicing were guard Mike Iupati (shoulder), linebacker NaVorro Bowman (shoulder) and cornerback Carlos Rogers (knee).

Matt Barrows article comparing Kaep and RG3 that isn't from Barrows' blog

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — On Sunday, Colin Kaepernick and the San Francisco 49ers died by the option play. On Monday, Robert Griffin III and the Washington Redskins flourished with it.

Washington rushed for 207 yards -- 72 by Griffin -- as the Redskins toppled the defending Super Bowl champion Giants 17-16 on national television.

Why has Jim Harbaugh staked so much -- the season, his credibility -- on Kaepernick? Just look at what Griffin did against New York.

No team has been a bigger thorn in the 49ers' side the last two seasons than the Giants, and they are a towering obstacle on any team's path to the Super Bowl. But for the second time this season, they showed they have trouble keeping up with Griffin.

The Redskins blended Griffin's ability to dart to the outside and to run the option with a stout, up-the-gut running game. They have 450 rushing yards in two games against New York this season and lead the league in rushing.

"This offense puts so much stress on the defense," lamented Giants defensive end Justin Tuck, who was caught pass rushing to the inside when Griffin was darting free to the outside.

Harbaugh and the 49ers have the same kind of quarterback.

Griffin and Kaepernick can throw, they can run, and they can throw on the run, especially deep down field. Kaepernick averages 8.38 yards per attempt, the best of any starting quarterback. Carolina's Cam Newton is next, followed by Griffin at 8.19 yards an attempt.

That Griffin did a lot of his damage against the Giants from the "pistol" formation only hammers home the comparison. Kaepernick has a Ph.D. in the pistol, having run it for 3 1/2 seasons at Nevada. He could teach a graduate course on the subject.

Kaepernick, of course, threw away his most recent option opportunity, and the mistake turned what was shaping up to be a comfortable win over the St. Louis Rams into an overtime defeat.

But it doesn't sound as if the experience will deter the 49ers. On Thursday, offensive coordinator Greg Roman said that having the option in the offensive arsenal is the wave of the future.

"I do -- felt that way for a while," Roman said. " ... I can remember Pittsburgh ran an option play against the Packers in the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. It's in a lot of people's playbooks. Some people teach it more than others. But those type of plays put a lot of pressure on a defense."

It's obvious now that Harbaugh has always wanted a quarterback who can vex defenses with his legs as well as his arm, always coveted a quarterback who can force defensive ends like Tuck and Sunday's opponent, Cameron Wake, to analyze instead of being aggressive.

After all, Harbaugh recruited Griffin when he was coaching at Stanford. Griffin went to Baylor, and Harbaugh went with another kid from Texas, Andrew Luck.

It's also worth revisiting Harbaugh's pre-draft comments from 2011.

The 49ers had the No. 7 selection and were expected to take a quarterback early. Harbaugh was asked about Newton, the most athletic -- and controversial -- passer in that draft class.

"That's plutonium-grade raw material, you know?" Harbaugh said. "I haven't seen upside like with this guy in probably the last 10 years."

Harbaugh never got a chance to mold that raw material; Newton was taken No. 1 overall by the Panthers. So Harbaugh obtained his own batch of plutonium in the second round in Kaepernick.

Plutonium is such a wonderful word for the occasion because it connotes volatility and danger. And that's what Harbaugh's decision to go with Kaepernick instead of the safer, more stable Alex Smith has been about.

It could blow up in his face just as the decision to call a pitch-option late in the fourth did on Sunday.

Or Kaepernick could be the weapon the 49ers need to go deep into the playoffs and defeat a defense like the Giants'.

I see lots of comparisons to Cam Newton and RG3. Let's look at each QBs stats through their first 3 games as starters.

RG3

747 yards, 4 TDs. 198 rushing yards, 3 TDs

Cam Newton

1012 yards, 4 TDs. 98 rushing yards, 2 TDs

Colin Kaepernick

682 yards, 3 TDs. 121 rushing yards, 1 TD

Small sample size yes, and Kaep's numbers are certainly "good", but at this point, comparing him to RG3 and Cam Newton is almost setting him up for failure. He hasn't played at that level yet. I know I'd be a lot more content with the QB change if he had.

I see lots of comparisons to Cam Newton and RG3. Let's look at each QBs stats through their first 3 games as starters.

RG3

Cam Newton

Colin Kaepernick

Small sample size yes, and Kaep's numbers are certainly "good", but at this point, comparing him to RG3 and Cam Newton is almost setting him up for failure. He hasn't played at that level yet. I know I'd be a lot more content with the QB change if he had.
I may be wrong, but both Newton and RG3 didn't replace another starting QB during the season. I think both of them were the de-facto starters from TC onto the Pre-Season forward. That's kinda important.

RG3

Cam Newton

Colin Kaepernick

I may be wrong, but both Newton and RG3 didn't replace another starting QB during the season. I think both of them were the de-facto starters from TC onto the Pre-Season forward. That's kinda important.
I agree, but it's not exactly an endorsement for changing QBs mid-season in a playoff run though. I want to eat crow on this so bad. I want Kaep to torch Miami for 350 yards and another 80 rushing. :thumbup: Make it happen Kaepernicus.

One can only hope your QB aspires to do Superman impersonations down 20 and constantly quit on teammates

RG3

Cam Newton

Colin Kaepernick

4 of the 5 highest weekly passing yard totals in the HISTORY of the NFL where in the first 5 weeks of 2011. Newton had 374 yds and 2 400+ yd games in his 4 games. There was an article written that showed that there was an abnormal amount of YAC which I assume was due to the lack of training camps for the defense. Newton has only thrown for 3 300 yds in 25 games since (barely surpassing 300 in those 3) despite having a career starter record of 9-19. If you are losing games, you should be throwing for more yards, but yet, he isn't.I am not impressed with Newton as a QB and especially as a team leader. I think RG3 is something special, but everything that surrounds Newton is negativity.

RG3

Cam Newton

Colin Kaepernick

I agree, but it's not exactly an endorsement for changing QBs mid-season in a playoff run though. I want to eat crow on this so bad. I want Kaep to torch Miami for 350 yards and another 80 rushing. :thumbup: Make it happen Kaepernicus.
Reading the Barrows article makes more sense on why Harbaugh did. Not because of the comparisons to Newton and RG3, it's more what they have in the playbook and the type of QB Harbaugh has always sought after. The switch is all about the playbook and offense itself. With Smith opposing teams would see more of the same as they had. With Kaep they can exploit the offense more.ETA: Let's not forget Josh Johnson, another Harbaugh QB in this as well.

if SF loses to Miami tomorrow and harbaugh sticks with kaepernick, then harbaugh is essentially telling us he is throwing in the towel on the 2012-2013 season to "see" if he has a future starting QB.

if SF loses to Miami tomorrow and harbaugh sticks with kaepernick, then harbaugh is essentially telling us he is throwing in the towel on the 2012-2013 season to "see" if he has a future starting QB.
Maybe he is trying out a new caddie for Pebble

Did drummer jump of the Golden Gate Bridge? :unsure:
I don't live in SF anymore. Sorry i've been away from posting bad nicknames and stuff.No credit to Jeff Fisher anyone? In his first two games as Head Coach of division rival STL, he has a tie and a win against JHarb (stole that one off of a Kawakami troll) while taking out Smith the first game, and then bringing Kaep down to Earth. He has Harbomb's number (I just made that one up) so far this season.
Rams were built to compete with the best team in the division. Props to Jeff Fisher for his early success :thumbup:

RG3

Cam Newton

Colin Kaepernick

4 of the 5 highest weekly passing yard totals in the HISTORY of the NFL where in the first 5 weeks of 2011. Newton had 374 yds and 2 400+ yd games in his 4 games. There was an article written that showed that there was an abnormal amount of YAC which I assume was due to the lack of training camps for the defense. Newton has only thrown for 3 300 yds in 25 games since (barely surpassing 300 in those 3) despite having a career starter record of 9-19. If you are losing games, you should be throwing for more yards, but yet, he isn't.I am not impressed with Newton as a QB and especially as a team leader. I think RG3 is something special, but everything that surrounds Newton is negativity.
Yeah, Kaepernick is a similar style QB to RG3 & Newton, the main difference is that he is working with a top ranked defense. I'm not sure that any 49er QB is going to put up gaudy stats as long as the defense continues to function at a top tier level. Not that he won't have big games, just overall I wouldn't expect him to have the huge numbers that QB's coupled with bad defenses will have.

Not sure why they are so conservative with him. If they wanted to be conservative they should've kept Alex smith in there.

Good to know I won't be starting him next week. Later, loser.
Even beyond the 50 yard TD, he did what he needed to do. If 18-23 for 185 yards and no picks constitutes a loser, from a NFL perspective, sign me up - even if not a huge fantasy day.

Kaep today - 18-23 for 185 yards passing, 6-53 yards rushing, 1 td rushing, 0-tds passing, 0-ints. Out of the 321 net yards of offense, Kaep was responsible for 238 of them with his arm and legs. He was second in rushing yards to Gore who had 63.

Kaep today - 18-23 for 185 yards passing, 6-53 yards rushing, 1 td rushing, 0-tds passing, 0-ints. Out of the 321 net yards of offense, Kaep was responsible for 238 of them with his arm and legs. He was second in rushing yards to Gore who had 63.
Waiting patiently to see how hornet can spin this to a negative.

Waiting patiently to see how hornet can spin this to a negative.
Someone at PFT is doing his work for him in the comments section:
blabidibla says: Dec 9, 2012 7:20 PM

Another pedestr1ian effort from Kaepernick. This guy is NOT a star in the making. PUT ALEX BACK IN!
My link

Not sure why they are so conservative with him. If they wanted to be conservative they should've kept Alex smith in there.
In the 'right' scenario, SF can afford to be conservative all game. If they are forced to lean on the pass, Kaepernick has a higher upside. That's why you won't see a lot of pass attempts but it's also why the switch was made. That's a crude and simple summary but relatively accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread