What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (8 Viewers)

Rolling with Romo over Kaepernick. Really hard decision given how unreliable Romo and the entire Cowboy team has been, but going for a solid floor rather than a potential ceiling.

Not sure if it's the right move, but it's the way I'm going right now. NE D may not be all-world, but they were able to shut down one of the best backs in the league and force Houston to become one-dimensional and beat them through the air.

Seems like the game plan vs Kaeptain America is exactly the same....

Rolling with Romo over Kaepernick. Really hard decision given how unreliable Romo and the entire Cowboy team has been, but going for a solid floor rather than a potential ceiling.Not sure if it's the right move, but it's the way I'm going right now. NE D may not be all-world, but they were able to shut down one of the best backs in the league and force Houston to become one-dimensional and beat them through the air.Seems like the game plan vs Kaeptain America is exactly the same....
wouldn't that benefit Kaep?

Rolling with Romo over Kaepernick. Really hard decision given how unreliable Romo and the entire Cowboy team has been, but going for a solid floor rather than a potential ceiling.Not sure if it's the right move, but it's the way I'm going right now. NE D may not be all-world, but they were able to shut down one of the best backs in the league and force Houston to become one-dimensional and beat them through the air.Seems like the game plan vs Kaeptain America is exactly the same....
Kaep's passing stats are similar to Smith's in that they are very average, so not really, So far, the only benefit Kaep has brought over Smith is his running ability.

Kaep's passing stats are similar to Smith's in that they are very average, so not really, So far, the only benefit Kaep has brought over Smith is his running ability.
I won't fight you over the results too much, but Kaepernick has seemingly looked deep far more often than Smith has. Combine that with the running ability and it's a lot more upside than Smith offers. I will admit there are valid arguments/concerns/criticisms for each side of the Kaepernick/Smith camps but hopefully Colin will connect on a few of those deep attempts this game.

Might start this guy since rg3 is out. Have to decide between him, Weeden and Wilson.

I like the rushing wildcard, but I'm worried about starting this guy in a semi final for cash. Anyone rolling with him with confidence??

Might start this guy since rg3 is out. Have to decide between him, Weeden and Wilson.I like the rushing wildcard, but I'm worried about starting this guy in a semi final for cash. Anyone rolling with him with confidence??
I feel very good about him this week. His numbers have been pretty conservative I think with a good running game and great DEF. Now he's going to have to keep pace and/or play catch up with Tom Brady. He'll have good fantasy numbers.

Can't trust either but have Romo in over him right now.

Thinking BB may have something up his sleeve for the rook.

Does anyone think that if he struggles, he could get pulled for Smith? That is one fear I have since BB definitely has the ability to devise a scheme to make this guy look bad.

Does anyone think that if he struggles, he could get pulled for Smith? That is one fear I have since BB definitely has the ability to devise a scheme to make this guy look bad.
While that's a possible outcome, being benched for Alex would be very, very, very low on my list of concerns. Really doubt that would happen. Would actually be stunned if Harbaugh opened up that can of worms and blew this qb controversy wide open.

How is Kaepernick getting sacked all of a sudden? He was moon-walking away from free-rushing Saints defenders. :confused:

Are teams now playing him differently? Or is just the effect of studs like Chris Long and Cameron Wake? The Rams and Dolphins (both top 5 in sacks) have much better pass-rushing lines than the Saints, granted.
It's worrisome since avoiding sacks was supposed to be one of the things he did better than Smith. He also hasn't resurrected VDs season which was something that was supposed to happen. Honestly, I think defenses are catching on and adjusting after his two good games earlier in the season. Exact situation I was worried about when the switch was made. As it is now, Kaep is basically Alex Smith with the ability to get a long run on occasion and a greater chance of making mistakes.
This is so wrong on so many levels that it's great that you have the ignorance to post it. God Bless America.
And you make such a compelling counter-argument!!! At least it took as many as 16 pages before you resort to personal attacks.
If you were in the game thread last game you would read my amateur play by play. There was nothing from Kaep that said Alex Smith from that game. You guys are looking at a basic stat line that I already fleshed out earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
So against the 20th ranked defense...

- the 49ers couldn't really move the ball and scored their first TD on a special teams gift from Miami.

- the 49ers converted only 20% of their third down plays

- Kaep was sacked 4 times.

...this type of QB play sounds familiar. I know, they won and I should be happy (I am), but still waiting for that break out game to match the hype.
Aside from the rushing touchdown, this wasn't terribly different from an Alex Smith performance. But you can't dismiss the rushing touchdown. Alex has some mobility but nothing like Kaepernick.
You and butcher boy speak the same language. God Bless America once more.
Colin completed 18 of 23 passes. 185 yards. Zero touchdowns, zero interceptions. 8.04 ypa. Now let's go with the last full game Alex played before getting hurt and losing his job:

18 of 19 passes. 232 yards. 12.2 ypa. 3 touchdowns, zero interceptions.

HALLELUJAH!!1!!!!
How about his games against NYG, NYJ, MIN, and last season, etc? They even tried to make a lateral into a forward pass in that game.... and Smith is still BENCHED.

Go back to starting your Alex Smith Bandwagon thread, since you crapped the bed in this LOOK AT ME, I'M A 49ER FAN thread who still knows nothing about the QBs on said team he doesn't root for.

ETA: AZ just got 58 points scored against them last weekend. With Russell Wilson posting a classic Smith stat line.

Dare I :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: at your post? Of course I will.
In your haste to ignore a point and attack a poster, you somehow missed the fact butcher boy was talking about one game. And one game only. Kaepernick has more upside. He's come to a similar point faster. Smith has had bad games. Colin can scramble. Yadda yadda yadda. Doesn't change the fact he was talking about that one game, so bringing up other games is asinine. Which of course is something we've all come to expect from you. Keep up the quality work, buddy.
In case you hadn't noticed, you started a Kaep Bandwagon thread. All I have done was post articles, info, stats, on the very subject you started this thread on, and kept it's legs going. You get pissy and edit the subtitle attacking me for arguing Kaep over Smith. You need to get off the pot and on the right bandwagon. It's not my problem if don't you know how.

If Smith struggles in the same game, then it's worse for Harbaugh.

Count me in the all in category.SF did a great job completely taking Graham out of the NO/SF game with their elite LB corp. If Gronk was healthy, would be a different story but I think SF will take Hernandez out of the equation. I know the two have different skill sets and catch the ball differently. Definitely don't see runaway potential from NE side.
If Graham lined up in as many different places as Hernandez, then I might buy this, but Hernandez is all over the place. I would tend to think that they move him around more than the Saints do Graham
It's more about the matchup against the linebackers. Willis and bowman are fast enough to keep up with some of these speedier pass catching tight ends. I think it's more likely that welker goes nuts, SF has problems with that type of slot WR.
:goodposting:

I am just going to assume that BB's football wisdom, and Tom Brady's experience are going to render Kaep a little bit ordinary. I can see the Pats getting a lead, and then pinning their ears back to get after the QB. They have been covering very well in the 2ndary, and those linebackers have been above average.
San Francisco's strength is their running game. Everyone gushes about how the hoodygenius takes away his opponents strength. That would lead me to believe Belichick is going to try and shut down the run and make the young QB beat them. It's up to Kaepernick to find the open man.Talking heads and gurus are all on Belichick's Jock right now. "It's that time of year and the Pats are now the best team in the NFL." Everyone is going ape nuts about the Pats' dominant performance against Houston. Personally, I still think Houston is soft and NE has had issues against smash mouth teams in the past. San Francisco is going to give Tom Terrific all he can handle, and then some. I think this is a close game and don't expect NE to pass down the field and score at will like they did against Houston.I think Kaepernick has a good night against NE, similar to Chicago.
:banned:

How is Kaepernick getting sacked all of a sudden? He was moon-walking away from free-rushing Saints defenders. :confused:Are teams now playing him differently? Or is just the effect of studs like Chris Long and Cameron Wake? The Rams and Dolphins (both top 5 in sacks) have much better pass-rushing lines than the Saints, granted.
His first reads are no longer open? I'm not too worried about the regression (it was expected). Now we get to see how he is able to rebound and adjust his game through what is obviously better prepared opponents from having more tape to study.I just hope to goodness that Vic Fangio dials up the heat on Sunday night, instead of selling out for the pass and rushing only 3. Brady will eat SF up alive if they stick with that gameplan.
I'm more concerned about Roman's gameplan against BB's defense.

:wall:

It would be a great test for the 49ers as a whole to see how their passing game would matchup. This is one of the reasons for Kaep over Smith, along with the added dimension of the read-option with Kaep behind center. I'm hoping Moss has a bigger game than he has all-season long. Which would mean more than 2 catches. Kaep has been trying to get him the ball (Moss has been fired up with Kaep back there, telling him to keep throwing the rock), so I hope to see a huge play between them.

Wow, such a tough decision given there are so many variables -- how SF game-plans for NE and especially vice versa, how well-prepared Kaep is for BB's schemes, how Kaep fares on the road (SF has been a good road team, but most of that was with Smith under center).

For me, the Rams D collapsed and I'm up by 40 points with my opponent having most of his squad go, including Cam Newton, Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant and Dwyer.

I am so tempted to go for Kaep's upside, but my conservative nature keeps creeping in to take Romo's relatively higher floor.

I know I'll regret not playing Kaep, but that's my cross to bear.

Might start this guy since rg3 is out. Have to decide between him, Weeden and Wilson.I like the rushing wildcard, but I'm worried about starting this guy in a semi final for cash. Anyone rolling with him with confidence??
:wall: Wilson clearly going to be the play here. Hope this guy can put some point up and save my ###.

Rolling with Romo over Kaepernick. Really hard decision given how unreliable Romo and the entire Cowboy team has been, but going for a solid floor rather than a potential ceiling.

Not sure if it's the right move, but it's the way I'm going right now. NE D may not be all-world, but they were able to shut down one of the best backs in the league and force Houston to become one-dimensional and beat them through the air.

Seems like the game plan vs Kaeptain America is exactly the same....
It would be a great test for the 49ers as a whole to see how their passing game would matchup. This is one of the reasons for Kaep over Smith, along with the added dimension of the read-option with Kaep behind center. I'm hoping Moss has a bigger game than he has all-season long. Which would mean more than 2 catches. Kaep has been trying to get him the ball (Moss has been fired up with Kaep back there, telling him to keep throwing the rock), so I hope to see a huge play between them.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Just now saw the graphic on Kaepernick's high school baseball photo. Dude is from my hometown. Something to cheer for!

Love how he's shredding the Pats secondary. Glad I started him. Onto the championship. :banned:

Just now saw the graphic on Kaepernick's high school baseball photo. Dude is from my hometown. Something to cheer for!

Love how he's shredding the Pats secondary. Glad I started him. Onto the championship. :banned:
Shredding? He's got 90 yards through a quarter and a half. I'll take it but not exactly shredding.

Shredding? He's got 90 yards through a quarter and a half. I'll take it but not exactly shredding.
The numbers really should be better. Vernon Davis dropped one on his finger tips in the end zone. The NE Corners look like they are playing on ice skates. Watch Kappy continue to exploit the matchups. It'll be good, you'll see.

Man, he is going to make it hard to decide between him and Matt Ryan next week. Both put up great scores this week.

Users who are viewing this thread