What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (8 Viewers)

Hands down, this was the most I have just been excited about a pleasant surprise all season.

I've always wondered about this kid. stashed him in a couple of leagues but honestly, even knowing he was going to play last noght, I was luke-warm to it all. I guess this late in the season, I'm kinda getting my fill of FF for the year.

But then I turn on the TV and started watching this game and (keep in mind, I'm not a Niners fan) it was like a breath of fresh air...no, a Gale of fresh air. this team looked REAL. They were just playing at a tempo that is FUN! You could tell the players were feeding off of it too. I think I saw Vernon Davis BOW to CK, like paying hommage. It was just a fun bunch.

And I'm not even talking fantasy potential and al that, I'm just saying it was really cool to watch that football performance. I hope it can keep rolling.

Bears fan here. Was cautiously optimistic going into last night. Young QBs first start. Wasn't even sure if Harbaugh was going to be there, after his heart stuff. I figured there would be a much scaled down playbook for the kid. He looked like a seasoned veteran out there. I told my wife, after playing and/or watching football for 30+ years, I saw something I had never seen before last night. The 9ers had 3 RBs in the backfield, and they all did some kind of shift where they followed each other in a circle, then broke out in formation. I couldn't believe the poise shown by the kid in his first start. I'm in.

*if* he gets another start then it will really get interesting. i really don't think he will though unless Smith is injured again. smith has played really pretty well deserves to play out the rest of the season.

dynasty folks that bought kaepernick must feel very happy after last night. we knew he was mobile. most observers knew he had a terrific arm. the accuracy and decision-making, however, were there last night. hopefully he will get some chances to play more in certain packages and mop up duty. confidence and experience can only help him.

alex smith can play well enough to get a contract in AZ, KC, and Jax next year.

I thought this was going to happen with Kaepernick once Harbaugh drafted him... just figured it was a matter of time. Honestly, it's happening faster than I expected, but I'm still not sure he's set to go the rest of the year.

2013 and beyond though, there's a lot of potential here. Harbaugh is a QB Guru much like Andy Reid in Philly... could be something really special in the long run with Kaep.

As a Niner fan, I love what I see for the future in Kaep but...

1) It's only one game.

2) Most of his deep balls were overthrown. His passing game is not that much unlike Smith's.

2) I'm not sure why everyone is forgetting that Smith has been one of the more efficient and highest rated QBs over the last season or two.

This really shouldnt be as slam dunk a decision for Harbaugh as people here seem to think.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on his Dynasty potential. He's a FA in my 16 team league and I'm considering taking a shot on bidding on him to back up Stafford for me. What are ya'll thoughts on his prospects for 2013 and beyond?

VERY impressive, but Alex Smith has also played extremely well. Kap has a definate future in this league, but it might be premature to think that future is NOW instead of next year.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on his Dynasty potential. He's a FA in my 16 team league and I'm considering taking a shot on bidding on him to back up Stafford for me. What are ya'll thoughts on his prospects for 2013 and beyond?
He's a free agent in a 16 team dynasty league? Who do you play with?!

I agree it's unlikely Alex Smith will get sent to the bench if he's healthy. As of right now. But if if if he sits another game and Kaepernick looks great again (he'd go against the Saints), things may change. It's not something I'd bank on but at this point in the season there aren't any sure things on the ww. If you're going to gamble, why not gamble on a qb who has top 5 fantasy potential if he's given the reigns?

I agree it's unlikely Alex Smith will get sent to the bench if he's healthy. As of right now. But if if if he sits another game and Kaepernick looks great again (he'd go against the Saints), things may change. It's not something I'd bank on but at this point in the season there aren't any sure things on the ww. If you're going to gamble, why not gamble on a qb who has top 5 fantasy potential if he's given the reigns?
The risk obviously is that he doesn't get the reigns, which means he has zero value (the rest of the way at least). If I'm pushing in the rest of my chips this week, I think I prefer to gamble on a player that is virtually guaranteed to get some form of opportunity/expanded role and accept the lower risk that they may not do as much as I'd hoped.

1) It's only one game.

2) Most of his deep balls were overthrown. His passing game is not that much unlike Smith's.

2) I'm not sure why everyone is forgetting that Smith has been one of the more efficient and highest rated QBs over the last season or two.

This really shouldnt be as slam dunk a decision for Harbaugh as people here seem to think.
1) It's one game that started a QB 'controversy' where there should not be one. 2) I give a pass for Kaep missing on only a couple of deep balls in his first start. At least the ball is going vertical instead of horizontal, and Kaep checks that at the line too.

3)Passing game was totally different from Smith's game. Even Steve Young saw that. Vernon Davis sees that.

4) Over the past season and a half, Smith has taken 68 sacks behind an expensive line considering draft picks and such. Sure he can have a game where he throws only one incompletion. Had he not taken sacks that got them deeper in the weeds on 3rd down by taking a sack after a 5 step drop by checking better at the line and tossed a couple away, then Harbaugh wouldn't have to try to change a lateral into a forward pass.

It won't be a slam dunk if Smith does what Kaep did last night. One thing he should try to do is find Vernon Davis, who he has been with for most of his career in SF. Start there, and maybe Smith can win Davis over again.

Is it me or did he just make Frank Gore even better? At the start of the game, they had 9 guys within a couple yards of the LOS. Their plan was to stop the run. After a few deep passes shredded them, Frank & Hunter had plenty of room and big holes to run thru.
:yes:

1) It's only one game.

1) It's one game that started a QB 'controversy' where there should not be one. 2) I give a pass for Kaep missing on only a couple of deep balls in his first start. At least the ball is going vertical instead of horizontal, and Kaep checks that at the line too.

3)Passing game was totally different from Smith's game. Even Steve Young saw that. Vernon Davis sees that.

4) Over the past season and a half, Smith has taken 68 sacks behind an expensive line considering draft picks and such. Sure he can have a game where he throws only one incompletion. Had he not taken sacks that got them deeper in the weeds on 3rd down by taking a sack after a 5 step drop by checking better at the line and tossed a couple away, then Harbaugh wouldn't have to try to change a lateral into a forward pass.

It won't be a slam dunk if Smith does what Kaep did last night. One thing he should try to do is find Vernon Davis, who he has been with for most of his career in SF. Start there, and maybe Smith can win Davis over again.
I love your enthusiasm but give Kaep 4-5 starts.... Something about the way he throws the ball makes me want to vomit....outside of that he played a great 1st game. I think Harbaugh is an offensive genius, I love what he is doing. Once teams have game film on Kaep and DC's adjust I will be interested in what he does. Not saying he won't be a good NFL QB as I thought he was the best QB in that class, but I need to see more than one good game where he was playing all game w/ the lead and the other team was aweful. Lets see him on the road against a QB that can complete a pass (or is allowed to actually throw).

Is it me or did he just make Frank Gore even better? At the start of the game, they had 9 guys within a couple yards of the LOS. Their plan was to stop the run. After a few deep passes shredded them, Frank & Hunter had plenty of room and big holes to run thru.
:yes:
:yes: I hope so (as a Gore owner), the threat of the QB run should help an already great running team.

Last edited by a moderator:
'drummer said:
Smith has also thrown a ridiculously low number of interceptions over the past year and a half. This team has proven it can win with a low turnover rate and great defense. I'm not as willing to throw that away prematurely. Let's see how Kaep does with a bigger sample size after teams see his stuff and adjust before proclaiming him the unquestioned starter and throwing Smith to the curb.

'renesauz said:
VERY impressive, but Alex Smith has also played extremely well. Kap has a definate future in this league, but it might be premature to think that future is NOW instead of next year.
Agreed.

'ImTheScientist said:
'drummer said:
'butcher boy said:

1) It's only one game.

I love your enthusiasm but give Kaep 4-5 starts.... Something about the way he throws the ball makes me want to vomit....outside of that he played a great 1st game. I think Harbaugh is an offensive genius, I love what he is doing. Once teams have game film on Kaep and DC's adjust I will be interested in what he does. Not saying he won't be a good NFL QB as I thought he was the best QB in that class, but I need to see more than one good game where he was playing all game w/ the lead and the other team was aweful. Lets see him on the road against a QB that can complete a pass (or is allowed to actually throw).
Sure, but what I see in Kaep (like I see in Wilson who I like a lot as well) is a ton of potential from the offense alone, not just in Kaep. Harbaugh can scale down with Kaep into Smith game manager mode, not having him drop back to pass as much because of the run game. The playbook can open up more with Kaep, and last night the 49ers were doing all kinds of crazy stuff with the run game alone. Besides, teams have all kinds of film on Smith. It wasn't that long ago where Smith's play was in question earlier this season.

Kaep and Wilson in the same division with former college rivals at Head Coach should be fun to watch in the future. I ahevn't been this excited over a 49er QB since Jeff Garcia emerged as a surprise. Yes, it's been a loooooong time.

'drummer said:
Smith has also thrown a ridiculously low number of interceptions over the past year and a half. This team has proven it can win with a low turnover rate and great defense. I'm not as willing to throw that away prematurely. Let's see how Kaep does with a bigger sample size after teams see his stuff and adjust before proclaiming him the unquestioned starter and throwing Smith to the curb.
Josh Freeman had a year where he threw more TD's to INTs than Smith did last season. He took less sacks too.

Very happy to have him in dynasty.

Cutting Rivers and rolling with RG3/Kaepernick in redraft. (Vick, Wilson, Ponder, Weeden on WW just in case).

SF schedule the rest of the way is sweet.

'ImTheScientist said:
'drummer said:
'butcher boy said:

1) It's only one game.

Sure, but what I see in Kaep (like I see in Wilson who I like a lot as well) is a ton of potential from the offense alone, not just in Kaep. Harbaugh can scale down with Kaep into Smith game manager mode, not having him drop back to pass as much because of the run game. The playbook can open up more with Kaep, and last night the 49ers were doing all kinds of crazy stuff with the run game alone. Besides, teams have all kinds of film on Smith. It wasn't that long ago where Smith's play was in question earlier this season.

Kaep and Wilson in the same division with former college rivals at Head Coach should be fun to watch in the future. I ahevn't been this excited over a 49er QB since Jeff Garcia emerged as a surprise. Yes, it's been a loooooong time.
Nfc west is the best division in football...only the cardinals are without a qbotf...probably draft one in the first next year.

'Banemorth said:
'traderallenpoe said:
He's a FA in my 12 team dynasty league. But we do have short benches. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth picking him up, as I'm already carrying Schaub and Wilson on my bench.

'Banemorth said:
'traderallenpoe said:
He's a FA in my 12 team dynasty league. But we do have short benches. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth picking him up, as I'm already carrying Schaub and Wilson on my bench.
I'd drop Wilson. I don't see him ever being a QB1. Not a fan of his. Last week for instance, they ran 40 times and threw 20.

'renesauz said:
VERY impressive, but Alex Smith has also played extremely well.
This is true, but it may in fact say more about Harbaugh's ability as a coach than it does about Alex Smith's abilities. Maybe we have seen Smith's ceiling?All I know is the "eye test" tells me that SF has played a much more conservative game plan when Smith was playing. Which makes me think they (the coaches) have seen something in practices that they couldn't wait to roll out in a game situation.I feel bad for Alex Smith... but i also felt bad for Drew Bledsoe and Trent Green (and others). This is what happens went talent meets opportunity.

All I know is the "eye test" tells me that SF has played a much more conservative game plan when Smith was playing.
I don't have a dog in this fight from a fantasy perspective but I agree with this. Last night was the first time I was impressed by the 49ers' offensive approach. The fact it came against a good Chicago defense was even more impressive. Maybe that wasn't all about the QB change but clearly Harbaugh saw something there that led him to come up with what I viewed as a far more creative offensive game plan than what we typically see from San Francisco.

'butcher boy said:
As a Niner fan, I love what I see for the future in Kaep but...1) It's only one game.2) Most of his deep balls were overthrown. His passing game is not that much unlike Smith's. 2) I'm not sure why everyone is forgetting that Smith has been one of the more efficient and highest rated QBs over the last season or two. This really shouldnt be as slam dunk a decision for Harbaugh as people here seem to think.
This. I was very pleased, but I thought he missed a few open receivers.

'butcher boy said:
As a Niner fan, I love what I see for the future in Kaep but...1) It's only one game.2) Most of his deep balls were overthrown. His passing game is not that much unlike Smith's. 2) I'm not sure why everyone is forgetting that Smith has been one of the more efficient and highest rated QBs over the last season or two. This really shouldnt be as slam dunk a decision for Harbaugh as people here seem to think.
This. I was very pleased, but I thought he missed a few open receivers.
At least Kaep is attempting throws down field, instead of easy dumpoffs and checkdowns for a few yards that get your completion rate high and is less risk adverse for INTs, yet still keeps the passing offense near the bottom of the League as far as total yards.

I'd drop Wilson. I don't see him ever being a QB1. Not a fan of his. Last week for instance, they ran 40 times and threw 20.
fwiw both the niners and seahawks are rush heavy teams. Kaep threw it 23 times. Seahawks average 25 att/g and the Niners average 26 att/g....your argument is not valid.

At least Kaep is attempting throws down field, instead of easy dumpoffs and checkdowns for a few yards that get your completion rate high and is less risk adverse for INTs, yet still keeps the passing offense near the bottom of the League as far as total yards.
1, he's in the top 5 for yards-per-attempt this season. 2. the 49ers are in the top half of the league in total offense. 3. top 10 for time of possession. 4. smith is in the top 3 with his QB rating.by almost every measurement, smith is enjoying an outstanding season. the only thing he is not doing is racking up yardage but then he's also only throwing the ball haf as much as, say, Stafford. Smith is enjoying one fo the best second act's to a QB career in recent memory thanks to Harbaugh. the sooner 9ers fans recognize that then the sooner they will stop blaming him for the failures of seasons past.

1, he's in the top 5 for yards-per-attempt this season. 2. the 49ers are in the top half of the league in total offense. 3. top 10 for time of possession. 4. smith is in the top 3 with his QB rating.by almost every measurement, smith is enjoying an outstanding season. the only thing he is not doing is racking up yardage but then he's also only throwing the ball haf as much as, say, Stafford. Smith is enjoying one fo the best second act's to a QB career in recent memory thanks to Harbaugh. the sooner 9ers fans recognize that then the sooner they will stop blaming him for the failures of seasons past.
Please don't lump the opinions of drummer in with all Niner fans. And best of luck trying to discuss Alex Smith with him.

Please don't lump the opinions of drummer in with all Niner fans. And best of luck trying to discuss Alex Smith with him.
Is it "cool" to use the "please don't lump the opinions of ________ " thing? Just because the guy has a different opinion than the masses doesn't make him wrong and doesn't make his opinion less worthy than yours.

By almost every measurement, smith is enjoying an outstanding season. the only thing he is not doing is racking up yardage but then he's also only throwing the ball haf as much as, say, Stafford. Smith is enjoying one fo the best second act's to a QB career in recent memory thanks to Harbaugh. the sooner 9ers fans recognize that then the sooner they will stop blaming him for the failures of seasons past.
The only people I still see calling Smith bad are drummer and people who don't really watch Niner games.

Please don't try to speak for all 49er fans either. You really do a poor job of that.

By almost every measurement, smith is enjoying an outstanding season. the only thing he is not doing is racking up yardage but then he's also only throwing the ball haf as much as, say, Stafford. Smith is enjoying one fo the best second act's to a QB career in recent memory thanks to Harbaugh. the sooner 9ers fans recognize that then the sooner they will stop blaming him for the failures of seasons past.
The only people I still see calling Smith bad are drummer and people who don't really watch Niner games.
So you are saying I don't watch 49er games? Are you the butcher boy who calls into KNBR? I sure hope not.

Is it "cool" to use the "please don't lump the opinions of ________ " thing? Just because the guy has a different opinion than the masses doesn't make him wrong and doesn't make his opinion less worthy than yours.
Dr. Awesome knows less about this team than my 14 year old nephew. But of course, we should listen to him!

So you are saying I don't watch 49er games? Are you the butcher boy who calls into KNBR? I sure hope not.
I'm not that guy, but want to beat him up for taking my name. You're not the first here to ask me that.I assume you do watch Niner games but perhaps the years of horrible QB play before Smtih got better is skewing your opinion. I dont know.

TOP and total offense really goes to the run game. If you look at the passer rating or whatever they don't include sacks. Of course by measurement Smith is having one of his best seasons. If you include 2005 to Jimmy Raye. The blame of season past really go to the 49ers not doing anything at the QB position, even during Eddie D's final years, and the debacle of Policy/Cerrato/Clark to Terry Donahue and his 3 7th round draft picks in 2004. Bill Walsh found them Jeff Garcia, who Smith still hasn't reached as far as numbers. The past two seasons, they went after Dalton but missed, traded up for Kaep, and went after Peyton Manning hard but lost out there too. So you tell me who isn't recognizing issues at QB.

I'm not that guy, but want to beat him up for taking my name. You're not the first here to ask me that.I assume you do watch Niner games but perhaps the years of horrible QB play before Smtih got better is skewing your opinion. I dont know.
I've seen so much of Smith that I can recite his entire career in a lullaby to sing you to sleep at night. But like I posted earlier, there was one guy who was totally taken by Kaep's game last night, and he was a guy who you either loved or hated, predicated on your loyalty to a guy named Joe.

I'm all for all kinds of differing opinions as long as they're generally respectful. saintfool was responding directly to drummer's criticism when he wrote "the sooner 9ers fans recognize that then the sooner they will stop blaming him for the failures of seasons past." Had it been someone other than drummer I would have written the same (minus the good luck discussing Alex with him comment). Some Niner fans fans can appreciate/recognize Alex Smith in his current form and don't hold his past against him to any significant degree. Others don't. It's not one collective. Lots of varying opinions among the fan base.Edit for spelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all for all kinds of differing opinions as long as they're generally respectful. saintfool was responding directly to drummer's criticism when he wrote "the sooner 9ers fans recognize that then the sooner they will stop blaming him for the failures of seasons past." Had it been someone other than drummer I would have written the same (minus the good luck discussing Alex with him comment). Some Niner fans fans can appreciate/recognize Alex Smith in his current form and don't hold his past against him to any significant degree. Others don't. It's not one collective. Lots of varying opinions among the fan base.Edit for spelling.
Right now the Bay Area media is feasting on this like it was an early Thanksgiving dinner. You wanna lump them with me as well?

Alright, the Alex-haters are still way overboard and new psychiatric help, but holy crap.

Kaep is the real deal.

I had no idea.

From the way he carries himself, to his reading of defenses, to his skills as a passer (re-watch the TD to Crabtree - running left, leading him perfectly, with just the right touch.)

Mindblowing that it was his first start.

Add me to the list of those that think Kaep gives the Niners the best chance to win and he should immediately take over the starter spot.

- A registered Alex Smith fan.

All I know is the "eye test" tells me that SF has played a much more conservative game plan when Smith was playing.
I don't have a dog in this fight from a fantasy perspective but I agree with this. Last night was the first time I was impressed by the 49ers' offensive approach. The fact it came against a good Chicago defense was even more impressive. Maybe that wasn't all about the QB change but clearly Harbaugh saw something there that led him to come up with what I viewed as a far more creative offensive game plan than what we typically see from San Francisco.
What I find interesting is it goes against the common grain which is "slowing things down for the rookie".Smith might be the safer pick but CK has a much higher ceiling imo. And like you I own neither.

Alex-haters
People still use the word 'hater'?
People still hate Alex Smith?
People still hate Jeff Garcia.ETA: and Steve Young, who wanted Bono over him.
Steve Young haters can go jump off a cliff.
If you recall, it wasn't just Joe vs. Steve back then. It was Joe/Bono vs. Steve. That's how much he was hated.

Alright, the Alex-haters are still way overboard and new psychiatric help, but holy crap.Kaep is the real deal. I had no idea.From the way he carries himself, to his reading of defenses, to his skills as a passer (re-watch the TD to Crabtree - running left, leading him perfectly, with just the right touch.)Mindblowing that it was his first start.Add me to the list of those that think Kaep gives the Niners the best chance to win and he should immediately take over the starter spot. - A registered Alex Smith fan.
This is where I am. I'm an Alex Smith fan. I wasn't a few years ago but he's made tremendous strides under Harbaugh and I'm thankful for the recent run he's given us. He doesn't suck. He's actually been very good. He's also carried himself with a lot of class and been respectful/well spoken throughout the years. But I'm interested in seeing how Kaepernick fares. If he had this game against a crappy defense I would be less enthusiastic. But he did it against the Bears. It's simply incredible. It's why I started this thread. Maybe he'll crash back to earth. Maybe he won't. If I'm Harbaugh I'd certainly find a way to give him at least one more game. He just looked too good. And if Colin crashes back to earth, we run Alex back out there. Wouldn't be the first time he was our fallback option. Maybe I'm simply obsessed with the grass on the other side of the fence. :shrug:

Alright, the Alex-haters are still way overboard and new psychiatric help, but holy crap.

Kaep is the real deal.

I had no idea.

From the way he carries himself, to his reading of defenses, to his skills as a passer (re-watch the TD to Crabtree - running left, leading him perfectly, with just the right touch.)

Mindblowing that it was his first start.

Add me to the list of those that think Kaep gives the Niners the best chance to win and he should immediately take over the starter spot.

- A registered Alex Smith fan.
This is where I am. I'm an Alex Smith fan. I wasn't a few years ago but he's made tremendous strides under Harbaugh and I'm thankful for the recent run he's given us. He doesn't suck. He's actually been very good. He's also carried himself with a lot of class and been respectful/well spoken throughout the years. But I'm interested in seeing how Kaepernick fares. If he had this game against a crappy defense I would be less enthusiastic. But he did it against the Bears. It's simply incredible. It's why I started this thread. Maybe he'll crash back to earth. Maybe he won't. If I'm Harbaugh I'd certainly find a way to give him at least one more game. He just looked too good. And if Colin crashes back to earth, we run Alex back out there. Wouldn't be the first time he was our fallback option. Maybe I'm simply obsessed with the grass on the other side of the fence. :shrug:
A few years ago you didn't even want him to wear a 49er Uni anymore. At least put that out there to keep it real.

Users who are viewing this thread