What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (2 Viewers)

Rich Eisen ‏@richeisenForget most ever by a QB in a playoff game. @Kaepernick7 183 rushing yards are the most ever for a QB in ANY game, regular season too.

I remember grading up in my fantasy draft to take this guy before Cam. I was laughed at by many even though I had Brees.

'tommyGunZ said:
'facook said:
'tommyGunZ said:
'facook said:
Read last night that Baalke w/ 49ers insisted they weren't moving up to take a QB today, and that they didn't even consider one yesterday. So of course they make the big move for Kaep. :rolleyes: As a fan, I'm a little unsure how I feel about this selection. If they'd managed to pull Dalton, I'd be doing backflips because he'd fit Harbaugh's West Coast so well. Just not sure about Colin K. Suppose "In Jim I trust" has to be the order of the day. Hope he can turn an elite athlete at the position into an winning NFL QB.
He did wonders with Josh Johnson at USD. :shrug:
True. I think I'm letting my love for Dalton cloud my feelings regarding Kaepernick, who I know very little about.
He's a BEAST. Best QB in this draft, IMO. But I'm not a college football expert, so who knows.
:goodposting:

I remember grading up in my fantasy draft to take this guy before Cam. I was laughed at by many even though I had Brees.
um, he had a good game and all, but still a bad move taking him before Cam, at least 2 years into their respective careers.

'tommyGunZ said:
'facook said:
'tommyGunZ said:
'facook said:
Read last night that Baalke w/ 49ers insisted they weren't moving up to take a QB today, and that they didn't even consider one yesterday. So of course they make the big move for Kaep. :rolleyes: As a fan, I'm a little unsure how I feel about this selection. If they'd managed to pull Dalton, I'd be doing backflips because he'd fit Harbaugh's West Coast so well. Just not sure about Colin K. Suppose "In Jim I trust" has to be the order of the day. Hope he can turn an elite athlete at the position into an winning NFL QB.
True. I think I'm letting my love for Dalton cloud my feelings regarding Kaepernick, who I know very little about.
He's a BEAST. Best QB in this draft, IMO. But I'm not a college football expert, so who knows.
The 49ers had Dalton on their draft board, then traded up for Kaep. So either way they would have had a good one on their hands.

great research above, but really all you need to do is watch the games. Kaep shouldn't be starting and outside of a couple nice plays in a couple games, he doesn't really look like he is going to be a good starter in the NFL. But hey, at least Alex Smith isn't starting anymore :rolleyes:
Lmfao

Where's the alex smith backer(s) lmfao
Not sure how many there were...but there was that one guy all week going off on the decision.
Again, it was butcher boy and his junk stats, thehornet and his milk and cookies, tjnc09 and his ZOMG ALEX VS. BILLS, then hoya. I got 'em all lined up in a row like guppies :shark:
:shrug: You guys can keep this thread to yourselves. The fascination with him is really creepy.Congrats, he had a very nice game aside from his INT against a team that gave up almost 500 yards to Minnesota two weeks ago on the road. It was like CK shredded the '85 Bears out there.

Not sure how many there were...but there was that one guy all week going off on the decision.
Again, it was butcher boy and his junk stats, thehornet and his milk and cookies, tjnc09 and his ZOMG ALEX VS. BILLS, then hoya. I got 'em all lined up in a row like guppies :shark:
:shrug: You guys can keep this thread to yourselves. The fascination with him is really creepy.Congrats, he had a very nice game aside from his INT against a team that gave up almost 500 yards to Minnesota two weeks ago on the road. It was like CK shredded the '85 Bears out there.
You still have Smith's Bills game to cuddle with.

Is admitting you are wrong really that difficult?"I.... was..... wrong" Say it with me.

You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run.

Is admitting you are wrong really that difficult?"I.... was..... wrong" Say it with me.
He played great. They still are no further than they were last year. If he leads the team to a SB this year, I will admit I'm wrong.

He played great. They still are no further than they were last year. If he leads the team to a SB this year, I will admit I'm wrong.
He piled 444 yards of offense with his arm and his legs alone. They are already further than they were last playoffs. So.....You're wrong.

'tommyGunZ said:
'facook said:
'tommyGunZ said:
'facook said:
The 49ers had Dalton on their draft board, then traded up for Kaep. So either way they would have had a good one on their hands.
I will take issue with you calling andy dalton a good qb though. He threw for 3 yds in a half last week...

'tommyGunZ said:
'facook said:
'tommyGunZ said:
'facook said:
Read last night that Baalke w/ 49ers insisted they weren't moving up to take a QB today, and that they didn't even consider one yesterday. So of course they make the big move for Kaep. :rolleyes:

As a fan, I'm a little unsure how I feel about this selection. If they'd managed to pull Dalton, I'd be doing backflips because he'd fit Harbaugh's West Coast so well. Just not sure about Colin K. Suppose "In Jim I trust" has to be the order of the day. Hope he can turn an elite athlete at the position into an winning NFL QB.
I will take issue with you calling andy dalton a good qb though. He threw for 3 yds in a half last week...
I guess you still don't see what Harbaugh can do with a QB can you? Yes, even Tannehill.

Fav quotes from this thread.

thehornet

this was a good team. thanks to harbaugh, it's looking like a throw away season to sacrifice for the future. great move.

great research above, but really all you need to do is watch the games. Kaep shouldn't be starting and outside of a couple nice plays in a couple games, he doesn't really look like he is going to be a good starter in the NFL. But hey, at least Alex Smith isn't starting anymore
cacksman

Press: "What did you learn from this game?"

Kaep: "We have to play better"

Press: "We all know that, but be specific about it..."

Kaep: "Well, you have to be asked a specific question to give a specific answer".

Wow, stay classy guy. I could NEVER imagine Russell Wilson giving an interview like that. I guess that's the difference between a mentally tough QB and a.... not so mentally tough QB.

'tommyGunZ said:
'facook said:
'tommyGunZ said:
'facook said:
Read last night that Baalke w/ 49ers insisted they weren't moving up to take a QB today, and that they didn't even consider one yesterday. So of course they make the big move for Kaep. :rolleyes:

As a fan, I'm a little unsure how I feel about this selection. If they'd managed to pull Dalton, I'd be doing backflips because he'd fit Harbaugh's West Coast so well. Just not sure about Colin K. Suppose "In Jim I trust" has to be the order of the day. Hope he can turn an elite athlete at the position into an winning NFL QB.
I guess you still don't see what Harbaugh can do with a QB can you? Yes, even Tannehill.
I'd take tannehill over dalton all day...i don't think Dalton will ever be a top 15 qb Edit: Speaking in real football talent here, not fantasy

Last edited by a moderator:
'tommyGunZ said:
'facook said:
'tommyGunZ said:
'facook said:

I'd take tannehill over dalton all day...i don't think Dalton will ever be a top 15 qb Edit: Speaking in real football talent here, not fantasy
My linkJust to keep you going off on another tangent about another QB in this Kaep thread.

Geeze, can y'all just stuff it? Will we have to get 30 posts about how great Kaepernick is every time he wins a game, followed by 30 posts about how much he sucks every time he loses?

Geeze, can y'all just stuff it? Will we have to get 30 posts about how great Kaepernick is every time he wins a game, followed by 30 posts about how much he sucks every time he loses?
I'm calling BS on who spent a lot of his Shark Pool career just to bash Alex Smith and the 49ers in any SF thread. Here is a clue. You don't have to read this thread.

I'm calling BS on who spent a lot of his Shark Pool career just to bash Alex Smith and the 49ers in any SF thread. Here is a clue. You don't have to read this thread.
Here is a clue: Colin Kaepernick is on my keeper league fantasy team. The Shark Pool is for NFL discussion. There's a specific thread for gloating and kvetching.

Here is a clue: Colin Kaepernick is on my keeper league fantasy team. The Shark Pool is for NFL discussion. There's a specific thread for gloating and kvetching.
This thread is NFL discussion, and you are not THE GUY to push the Holier Than Thou button.

I have no desire to keep posting in this thread either. If CK wins the SB this year, I will have no problem coming back here to admit I was wrong. Next week will be an entirely different situation for him either on the road vs a decent defense or at home vs a very solid defense. Sure, he is the QB of the future, but I care about winning the SB this year. SF won a divisional playoff game last year - it means nothing now.

Felt just like watching him kill Cal at Nevada. He makes defenses look silly.
Haha! I was at that game and it was sweet! Impressive game tonight for Kaep, especially starting off with a pick 6.I'm not gonna crown the guy yet, but I've been a believer since his Wolfpack days. He's just a helluva football player. Fun to watch.

I have no desire to keep posting in this thread either. If CK wins the SB this year, I will have no problem coming back here to admit I was wrong. Next week will be an entirely different situation for him either on the road vs a decent defense or at home vs a very solid defense. Sure, he is the QB of the future, but I care about winning the SB this year. SF won a divisional playoff game last year - it means nothing now.
But if Alex Smith had won this game...

Great game by Kaep. Too bad he's the flavor-of-the-month running QB, though.In a few years when he's knocked out of the NFL because of concussions or an ACL tear, Rodgers will still be trucking.I've seen plenty of young running QBs, but no old running QBs. We'll see how he does later in his career. My guess it will be short one. He'll be incredibly lucky to make it half as far as Steve Young (who was also a good running QB, for those that remember... see how his career ended (concussions)).

Great game by Kaep. Too bad he's the flavor-of-the-month running QB, though.In a few years when he's knocked out of the NFL because of concussions or an ACL tear, Rodgers will still be trucking.I've seen plenty of young running QBs, but no old running QBs. We'll see how he does later in his career. My guess it will be short one. He'll be incredibly lucky to make it half as far as Steve Young (who was also a good running QB, for those that remember... see how his career ended (concussions)).
He didn't end his career running the ball. It was a whiff block by Lawrence Phillips and the hit by Aeneas Williams.

...still going. :hophead:

...still going. :hophead:
...still :missing:

He didn't end his career running the ball. It was a whiff block by Lawrence Phillips and the hit by Aeneas Williams.
One concussion doesn't end a career. The dozens of undiagnosed concussions he took running the ball were the bigger factor in why he retired... a whiff block was the straw that broke the camel's back, IMO.

One concussion doesn't end a career. The dozens of undiagnosed concussions he took running the ball were the bigger factor in why he retired... a whiff block was the straw that broke the camel's back, IMO.
Any QB can suffer a concussion running or standing in the pocket. Which is what ended Young's career. standing in the pocket. QB's can get concussions on dropbacks or rollouts. Has Young not suffered that last concussion he would have played past that game. The other concussions were a factor in the long term, but Young wasn't a basket case out there before that final hit. I don't recall Troy Aikman being a running QB, but I dunno the situation of his concussions.

He'll be incredibly lucky to make it half as far as Steve Young (who was also a good running QB, for those that remember... see how his career ended (concussions)).
Aikman's career ended the same way -- nothing to do with running.
If a QB is flushed out of the pocket he is running, but not just to gain yardage with his feet, but to keep a play alive. If he is scrambling he can get a knock to the dome just as much as a running QB can. Alex Smith's concussion this season is thought to have happened on a QB sneak instead of the run play.

Now, the accolades:

SI's Jim Trotter

SAN FRANCISCO -- Perhaps 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh is a football savant, because his decision to change starting quarterbacks midway through the season is, for the time being, proving to be as cunning as it was calculated.

Colin Kaepernick was that good for Harbaugh and the 49ers on Saturday night, accounting for 444 yards and four touchdowns in a 45-31 victory over the Packers in Candlestick Park. The win advanced San Francisco to its second straight NFC Championship Game, where it will play the winner of Sunday's Atlanta-Seattle showdown. (The conference final will be in San Francisco if the Seahawks win, and in Atlanta if the Falcons prevail.)

Kaepernick was one of several critical questions facing the 49ers going into Saturday night, the others being the potential effectiveness of defensive end Justin Smith and kicker David Akers, who came in battling a triceps tear and a case of the yips, respectively. Smith played well but was nowhere close to his level of usual dominance, and Akers was good on each of his PATs and a 36-yard field goal. But the night belonged to Kaepernick, whose performance was sublime.

The former Nevada star showed none of the nerves normally associated with a QB in his first playoff start. His 181 yards rushing are an NFL record for quarterbacks in the regular season or playoffs, and his 263 yards passing were six more than celebrated counterpart Aaron Rodgers, the 2011 league MVP.

When Kaepernick took a knee following the final snap, he turned to running back Frank Gore, and the two nearly rested their helmets facemask to facemask. They smiled at each other, then Gore said: "You're a baller."

In football vernacular, the salutation was respect of the highest order. For good reason. Kaepernick definitely saved his best for when the games matter the most. In his final four outings of the regular season he rushed for a total of 117 yards, 64 fewer than he had against the Packers. He had 107 at the half, then broke a 24-24 deadlock with a 56-yard sprint untouched around right end midway through the third quarter.

As for his passing, his completion percentage was not otherworldly at 17 of 31, but some of his throws were Rodgers-esque, including a 12-yard touchdown laser to Michael Crabtree, who had two scores and 119 yards on nine catches.

It was the type of performance Harbaugh likely hoped for but didn't dare dream about when he made the controversial switch from Alex Smith, who took the 49ers to the NFC Championship Game last season. Harbaugh knew he could win with Smith, who had completed 25 of his last 27 passes with four touchdowns before sustaining a concussion on Nov. 11 against the Rams, but in Kaepernick he saw the potential for a more dynamic offense.

Even in his wildest fantasy he probably didn't see a unit that would put up 579 total yards, including a franchise-best 323 rushing. But that's what happens when you match a gifted athlete with supreme self confidence with a mad-scientist strategist like offensive coordinator Greg Roman, who began setting his plan in motion at the end of the regular season.

Instead of running the "pistol" offense that Kaepernick used in college -- it calls for the quarterback to line up five yards behind center, with a back directly behind him, then run the read-option out of the formation -- Roman opted to put it away and show other things for which San Francisco's playoff opponent would have to prepare.

It would be foolish to say he caught the Packers off guard with the formation, but it's a strong possibility that Green Bay did not stress defending it with the same intensity it might have if Kaepernick had had a big running game against the Cardinals in the season finale.

"If you noticed, we're definitely the type of people to hold our ace card under our leg and wait for the right time to pull it out," Roman said with a sly smile Saturday night."Green Bay is a great team and we have respect for them, but it was a run-and-pass game plan tonight. It was pretty balanced. We were able to hit some big plays and guys were dialed in."

Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers made a strategic mistake in the opening half by repeatedly blitzing Kaepernick and leaving his defensive backs in man coverage. San Francisco's receivers would then run upfield, forcing the defenders to run with their backs to Kaepernick, who consistently found uncluttered running lanes.

Roman guesstimated that the 49ers ran the "pistol" on just under 50 percent of their offensive snaps. Sometimes Kaepernick got free around the ends, and other times he found openings up the middle. The Packers had to be so concerned with his running in the second half that halfback Frank Gore gained 73 of his 119 yards rushing in the final one-plus quarters -- or, more specifically, after Kaepernick went 56 yards for a 31-24 lead the Niners would not relinquish.

"It was just another big game against another great quarterback where he showed up and played well," center Jonathan Goodwin said. "He's making people believers, I'll tell you that."

That wasn't the case on his first possession, when his second pass attempt was picked off by Sam Shields and returned 52 yards for a touchdown. But Kaepernick possesses an athletic arrogance that allows him to believe in himself even when others doubt him -- or particularly when others doubt him.

He responded to the turnover by leading the 49ers on an eight-play, 80-yard drive that concluded with his 20-yard run to tie the score.

"Every time there's been an interception that he's thrown, or a safety or turnover, he's responded with a scoring drive," Harbaugh said."That's rare, a rare quality."

After Green Bay regained the lead on an 18-yard run by DuJuan Harris, Kaepernick converted a fumbled punt by the Packers into a 12-yard touchdown strike to Crabtree. He followed that with a 20-yard toss to Crabtree for a 21-14 lead, as the teams went back and forth while staying within a touchdown of each other, until Kaepernick triggered 21 straight San Francisco points with his long run.

Kaepernick was quick to praise his line, backs and receivers, who all played a role in his success. But the key for any quarterback is taking advantage of his opportunities, and Kaepernick did that on Saturday, just as he has consistently done since moving into the starting lineup.

"It's been amazing," Kaepernick said."I couldn't ask for anything more."

Nor could his head coach, who is looking smarter by the game.

Rodgers doesn't run the ball??? That might haver just been the single most ignorant rant I've ever seen on the SP and that's saying a bunch.Back in another era you did have Fran Tarkenton who was one of the greatest running qb's of all time and also lasted long enough to hold the NFL passing yardage record for decades until it was broken during the modern passing era by Favre and will likely get passed by several other qb's during this inflated stats era.

From MN Fan perspective Colin Kaepernick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joe WebI might not put enough > in there... Last night Colin and 49'ers trashed GB who was starting to be media darlings to win it all. Congrats to him, the 49'ers..

From MN Fan perspective

Colin Kaepernick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joe Web

I might not put enough > in there... Last night Colin and 49'ers trashed GB who was starting to be media darlings to win it all.

Congrats to him, the 49'ers..
you'd have to line those >>> up to infinity :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: but point well taken; man did CK play a whale of a #######' game. just ... WOW. :thumbup:

most fun I've had watching a game I bet on in awhile ...thanks for the late Christmas bonus :banned:

they have got to catch him to hit him, at this point it doesn't look like the are able to. not to mention he appears smart enough to slide when needed. people are going to say... cam who....rg3 who.... also apparently you didn't see those pinpoint throws or you wouldn't be calling him just another running qb.

Because Rodgers hasn't had any concussion problems and is not a scrambling QB.

Users who are viewing this thread