What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (6 Viewers)

I hope Krap has a backup plan for employment....Cause football is definitely over for him now ...
I'm guessing so too

If kap had come out, apologized for offending, been different about it all ....  in many ways he's like Trump, he knows what he's doing is going to piss everyone off, and he does it anyway

Then why do people keep asking it? To get a "gotcha" moment? As long as people keep asking, I'll keep answering the same way over and over and over
I think people mistakenly thought I was asking it on the past few pages when I was trying to get clarification from one poster as to whether he thought Kaepernick should be in the league based exclusively on physical ability (i.e. if the Anthem protest had never happened).

I'm guessing so too

If kap had come out, apologized for offending, been different about it all ....  in many ways he's like Trump, he knows what he's doing is going to piss everyone off, and he does it anyway
Trump, Kaepernick, and Dr. King--three peas in a pod. 

Edit: Pod, not pot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Malcolm Jenkins said Colin Kaepernick was invited to today's meetings with Goodell/NFL owners, but didn't attend. Jenkins didn't know why.
Shows a lot doesn’t it?
It doesn't show anything. Jenkins was wrong, Per his legal team he was not invited:

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/920381327249166336

Jason La Canfor @JasonLaCanfora 1m1 minute ago

Official statement from Colin Kaepernick's legal team.

He was not invited to today's NFL/NFLPA meeting

Of course that is if he is being punished. What was san fran's record last year with him? While i agree he is better than some of the backups out there that have been forced into action, he isnt good enough to carry a team.

His skill set isnt necessarily universally applicable to all offenses either. 

Also didn't he get benched  for Gabbert before all this began
Yes, but that was a Jim Tomsula decision and he himself was shown the door at the end of the year. Plus, there was a fear that Kaep might be injured in what was already a lost season for SFO at the time and they still would have had to honor most of his contract if he were hurt - which was the impetus for him agreeing to restructure it so he could play in 2016.

No one really thinks Gabbert is a better QB than Kaepernick, or at least no one has questioned or complained why Gabbert took a backup role again rather compete for a starting spot if he really was of league starter quality.

It doesn't show anything. Jenkins was wrong, Per his legal team he was not invited:

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/920381327249166336

Jason La Canfor @JasonLaCanfora 1m1 minute ago

Official statement from Colin Kaepernick's legal team.

He was not invited to today's NFL/NFLPA meeting
Carefully worded. 

Was not invited by “team executives or by any official of the NFL”

He was invited by players. The ones supporting his cause and he declined to go and never gave them a reason until a couple minutes ago. 

Carefully worded. 

Was not invited by “team executives or by any official of the NFL”

He was invited by players. The ones supporting his cause and he declined to go and never gave them a reason until a couple minutes ago. 
The fact that some players wanted him present (emphasis some as there was no formal invitation by the NFLPA) does not mean he would have been welcomed at the meeting by Goodell and the league office or by any owners attending the meeting.

The problem is that you are calling it just a song. As I stated earlier, it's a reminder that no matter who we are and where we come from we are all Americans first and it's a brief time out during an otherwise typically go-go-go kind of lifestyle to remind us of that and bring us all together. I take my hat off and put my hand over my heart because I was raised to respect our flag. I never served and I feel it's at least my duty to appreciate those who have to give me the benefits I have today. I feel very honored to have known personally and closely a WWII vet who played extremely significant roles in WWII including the landing at Normandy and Battle of the Bulge. Personally, I think of those people when the anthem plays. 
I worry that too many people see only the Flag and hear the Anthem and don't think about the principles behind those symbols.  They also seem to have a misguided (IMO) notion that the Flag and Anthem belong to or represent the military, they don't and we have been conflating them, with open help from the NFL in particular, for far too long.  They belong to all of us but even so they are really nothing more than symbols, it is what is behind those symbols that truly matters and I think that point is missed by too many.  We don't go to war over Flags and Anthems we do it over ideals; theirs vs ours.  We weren't attacked on 9/11 for no reason.  I used to think that we were truly about Liberty and Justice for All because, y'know, they used to make me say that every single day in school while holding my heart and facing the flag. But I am just not certain about that any more.  Let's be real, that was Nationalist indoctrination more than anything, wasn't it? I think more and more people feel "I want Liberty and Justice for ME and I really don't care what happens to the rest of you".  We are becoming more insular and isolated within our own lives and a sincere community minded perspective is slowly disappearing.  It makes me sad and I try very hard, often unsuccessfully, to not let it make me mad too.

The fact that some players wanted him present (emphasis some as there was no formal invitation by the NFLPA) does not mean he would have been welcomed at the meeting by Goodell and the league office or by any owners attending the meeting.
You mean the players who support him, wanted him there and he didn’t show and never told them why. 

It’s a bad look, period.

I’ll tell you what’s unamerican and unpatriotic: wrapping yourself in the very symbol of American freedom and liberty while claiming it only for yourself and casting disparity on those with whom you disagree. Accusing people of being unpatriotic because you don’t agree with them is despotic. 

This country was literally founded on revolution.  

There is nothing more patriotic than peaceful protest.

Yes, but that was a Jim Tomsula decision and he himself was shown the door at the end of the year. Plus, there was a fear that Kaep might be injured in what was already a lost season for SFO at the time and they still would have had to honor most of his contract if he were hurt - which was the impetus for him agreeing to restructure it so he could play in 2016.

No one really thinks Gabbert is a better QB than Kaepernick, or at least no one has questioned or complained why Gabbert took a backup role again rather compete for a starting spot if he really was of league starter quality.
Why was it a lost season? I mean if Kaeprnick was the starter up until that point, they had to have been like 6-2 right? 

You mean the players who support him, wanted him there and he didn’t show and never told them why. 

It’s a bad look, period.
We don't know how many players wanted him there. Two? Five? Twenty? The fact that some players wanted him there does not make it mandatory that he attend. If the NFLPA had issued a formal invitation and the league office had agreed, you would have a point, but not under the facts as we currently know them.

And did you miss that he filed a grievance yesterday against the NFL and the owners? I seriously doubt he would have been welcomed at the meeting by the league representatives with open arms and his attendance probably would have been viewed as a publicity stunt to advance his grievance/suit against the NFL.

We don't know how many players wanted him there. Two? Five? Twenty? The fact that some players wanted him there does not make it mandatory that he attend. If the NFLPA had issued a formal invitation and the league office had agreed, you would have a point, but not under the facts as we currently know them.

And did you miss that he filed a grievance yesterday against the NFL and the owners? I seriously doubt he would have been welcomed at the meeting by the league representatives with open arms and his attendance probably would have been viewed as a publicity stunt to advance his grievance/suit against the NFL.
I’d say it’s 20+ who would have wanted him to show up. Probably a lot more  

I also can’t imagine that the NFLPA invite would have helped since hes a FA. Not sure if he’s actually still in or not. 

I agree somewhat with the last paragraph in that it may have looked like a publicity stunt to some. But I’m sure it would’ve meant a lot to the people who are supporting him currently. 

Squis I admire your dedication to this thread, but if he had any conviction, he would have shown up and made the league either not let him in or kick him out. Just not showing up for no reason is the wrong move for his fellow players that wanted him there.

You are probably right that they wouldn't have let him in, but guess what--they wouldn't have let me in either. Of course, what do Kaep and I have in common? We both are not players in the NFL. 

I’d say it’s 20+ who would have wanted him to show up. Probably a lot more  

I also can’t imagine that the NFLPA invite would have helped since hes a FA. Not sure if he’s actually still in or not. 

I agree somewhat with the last paragraph in that it may have looked like a publicity stunt to some. But I’m sure it would’ve meant a lot to the people who are supporting him currently. 
There is a good chance he would have not been welcomed at the meeting by virtue of the fact that the grievance has yet to be heard and might be considered pending litigation, meaning that his situation could not be discussed by the league until the matter is resolved by whoever will hear the matter.

And although he is a FA he is still a dues paying member of the NFLPA, which is why they gave him an award in Week 1 for his charitable work/contributions that were done in the offseason. So the organization could have invited him, but due to the grievance they might not have wanted him there either.

Mathematically, they couldn't make the playoffs at that point and the 49ers would have had to eat his contract if he were hurt in the remaining meaningless games.
At 2-6? That is some interesting math you do there. Strange how great a QB that was 2-6 and then 1-10 with an interim benching in favor of blaine gabbert (who coincidentally went 3-5 and 1-4) has become. It is kind of amazing how he just keeps getting better and better the longer he is out of football. 

I cant wait to see the Jeff George collusion case and to see how good that guy becomes.   

It’s a bad look, period.
Sorry but if Kaepernick had attended the meeting you'd be screaming about how he invited himself without permission and you'd cite it as "proof" of his selfishness.

Squis I admire your dedication to this thread, but if he had any conviction, he would have shown up and made the league either not let him in or kick him out. Just not showing up for no reason is the wrong move for his fellow players that wanted him there.

You are probably right that they wouldn't have let him in, but guess what--they wouldn't have let me in either. Of course, what do Kaep and I have in common? We both are not players in the NFL. 
He wasn't invited, which is a very good reason to not show up. And I can imagine the comments from his critics if he showed up and was kicked out, confirming what they have been saying all along, that he has just been doing this for the publicity.

As I noted in the post above, he is still a dues paying member of the NFLPA, so he could not have been barred entry simply because he is not currently on an NFL roster. Whether he would have been eligible to attend anyway, I don't know, but it is a moot point IMO.

At 2-6? That is some interesting math you do there. Strange how great a QB that was 2-6 and then 1-10 with an interim benching in favor of blaine gabbert (who coincidentally went 3-5 and 1-4) has become. It is kind of amazing how he just keeps getting better and better the longer he is out of football. 

I cant wait to see the Jeff George collusion case and to see how good that guy becomes.   
OK, it was mathematically possible, but making the playoffs was not a realistic expectation, hence it was viewed as a lost season

I don't know i don't insult people when i'm angry
Actually you're insulting everyone's intellegence by suggesting that there aren't troops, both active and veterans, as well as their family members that support the protesters. 

So once you stop doing that.....

Actually you're insulting everyone's intellegence by suggesting that there aren't troops, both active and veterans, as well as their family members that support the protesters. 

What percentage are you suggesting Mr angry? And why do you think 2 of the largest veterans groups condem kneeling NFL players?.

What percentage are you suggesting Mr angry?
I guess that you missed the part where I told you surveys have been done. Shouldn't be too hard for you to find them. And since I'm not your gopher, and I'm not the one asking the question, I'll leave it to you to educated yourself on the matter. 

Jason La Canfora‏ @JasonLaCanfora 2h2 hours ago

There was some real anger and dismay among players that Colin Kaepernick

was not formally asked to be at meetings today, I'm told...

I'm a family member that doesn't support the protesters. That's the only one that matters. Even if it's 99% to 1%. My opinion is still my opinion. 

Why to people feel so compelled to change my opinion? Is it so hard to accept that?

Sorry but if Kaepernick had attended the meeting you'd be screaming about how he invited himself without permission and you'd cite it as "proof" of his selfishness.
Cool. Any other preconceived notions you’d like to spout about me?

I agreed that I think some would have taken it that way but I wouldn’t have. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/17/jed-york-colin-kaepernicks-message-has-been-lost/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Jed York: Colin Kaepernick’s message has been lost

Posted by Charean Williams on October 17, 2017, 7:33 PM EDT

49ers CEO Jed York called Tuesday’s meeting between the NFL and the NFL Players Association “one of his proudest days,” crediting Colin Kaepernick for inspiring the talks.

“[Kaepernick’s] message has been lost,” York said, via multiple tweets. “That’s the disappointing part of all of this. . . . The more you sit with players and hear what they’re fighting for, it’s hard to disagree with them.”

York said the four-hour discussion led to every NFL owner better understanding why players feel compelled to protest during the national anthem. He admitted being taken aback the first time Kaepernick protested during the national anthem last season, but after talking to the team’s former starting quarterback, York said he understood and offered his support.

“If we don’t care about the causes that make them tick, then what are we about?” York said.

York has continued to support his players and their right to protest.

I'm a family member that doesn't support the protesters. That's the only one that matters. Even if it's 99% to 1%. My opinion is still my opinion. 

Why to people feel so compelled to change my opinion? Is it so hard to accept that?
people drawing a line in the sand.  I thought it extremely chicken feed that the NFL decided to not show the anthem last Sunday.  protest all you want.   I have no problem with it, just don't have a problem when people stop watching & or buying NFL stuff. 

NFL owners are in a tough spot.  wonder what they are going to do?

The NFL has business deals with your local municipalities. The NFL is not apart of the state or federal government. Sounds like it is about your local authorities/politicians are making bad business deals with the NFL. Vote them out.
What about the military?

Which is more disrespectful to the military?

A:  Kneeling for the national anthem to protest police brutality

B:  The commander-in-chief telling the pregnant widow of a soldier "He knew what he signed up for"

Which is more disrespectful to the military?

A:  Kneeling for the national anthem to protest police brutality

B:  The commander-in-chief telling the pregnant widow of a soldier "He knew what he signed up for"
I love how you word those to push people to the option you want them to pick.

I hope you aren't currently working for any pollsters.

Users who are viewing this thread