What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (10 Viewers)

They're welcome to walk away and fall back on their communications and general studies degrees 
I think Hopkins has a little more leverage than you think, which is one reason I bet we'll hear more from McNair before Sunday.

Also the vast majority of this thread is people talking about how upset they get when total strangers kneel instead of stand during a two minute song they are likely listening to while seated themselves.  Everything else pales in comparison to elite whining like that.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 10m10 minutes ago

Texans HC Bill O’Brien apprised his team of Bob McNair’s comments at morning meeting today so they would not be blinsdsided, per source.

Many of the Texans players wanted to leave facility and not attend practice, and Pro Bowl WR DeAndre Hopkins actually did, per sources.

Bill O’Brien, GM Rick Smith and asst. HC Romeo Crennel then led 90-minute team meeting in which players were given platform to speak out.

Expectation now is all Texans, including Hopkins, will be with team Saturday, when it is scheduled to leave for Seattle. But we’ll see.
:moneybag:  talks 

They're welcome to walk away and fall back on their communications and general studies degrees 
I'm pretty sure Hopkins majored in sports management.  Which would probably teach him how to, you know, deal with players without causing them to want to walk out on their jobs.  Maybe McNair should check out a course or two.

I think we'll see some do just that.  As Richard Sherman has pointed out, some players are beginning to understand the contempt that fans seem to hold them in.  Fantasy football has certainly exacerbated that.  Now the owners don't just view them as disposable commodities, but the fans do too.  Players waking up to that is, IMO, the real story here.  Now, the owners have all the financial leverage in the world, but I wouldn't discount the power of a labor movement that feels that it is fighting for more than just a few percentage points of the league's profits. 

Michael Skolnik‏ @MichaelSkolnik 3h3 hours ago

When a NFL owner says, “We can’t have inmates running the prison,” that’s

exactly why players should take a knee.

Shame on you, Bob McNair.
McNair used a poor choice of words.  With NFL players getting arrested almost weekly on a year round basis and all the domestic violence that hit too close to home and made them uncomfortable. "Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians" would have been much better.

I'm pretty sure Hopkins majored in sports management.  Which would probably teach him how to, you know, deal with players without causing them to want to walk out on their jobs.  Maybe McNair should check out a course or two.

I think we'll see some do just that.  As Richard Sherman has pointed out, some players are beginning to understand the contempt that fans seem to hold them in.  Fantasy football has certainly exacerbated that.  Now the owners don't just view them as disposable commodities, but the fans do too.  Players waking up to that is, IMO, the real story here.  Now, the owners have all the financial leverage in the world, but I wouldn't discount the power of a labor movement that feels that it is fighting for more than just a few percentage points of the league's profits. 
Also, the owners are welcome to fall back on all those other world class football players who aren't currently in the NFL.

"Those people are making a lot of money, so they can't have negative opinions"  is such a dumb, childish, easily refuted argument it's boring have to read the same back and forth. 

It's the argument your uncle, who everyone agrees is a moron, makes after 5 beers.
This is an inaccurate and offensive post.  I assure you that my uncle says something moronic way before his fifth beer. 

Also, the owners are welcome to fall back on all those other world class football players who aren't currently in the NFL.
As we see in college sports the game  always goes on.  Players come and go and are interchangeable.  Plus the player pool is endless and there will always be another to step in.

With short careers to maximize income and only 16 paydays a year I doubt many will risk missing game checks.

As we see in college sports the game  always goes on.  Players come and go and are interchangeable.  Plus the player pool is endless and there will always be another to step in.

With short careers to maximize income and only 16 paydays a year I doubt many will risk missing game checks.
I don't know how old you are, but I remember the strike season in 1987.  Go watch some game tape of Sean Payton playing QB for the Bears and tell me the game will go on like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
More on the anger in the Texans’ organization over owner Bob McNair’s comments:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21185499/houston-texans-players-considered-walkout-bob-mcnair-comment

Texans players considered walkout over Bob McNair comment

HOUSTON -- Some Texans players considered staging a walkout following a comment by team owner Bob McNair that compared NFL players to "inmates," a source told ESPN.

About 10 players, including Pro Bowl wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, left the facility Friday, the source said. Sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter that Hopkins' absence from practice was directly related to McNair's comment.

Most of the players who left returned to the facility, the source said, and the remaining players were talked out of their protest by the coaching staff.

"When it happened, there's a thousand emotions going through your mind," left tackle Duane Brown said. "Obviously, one of the emotions is to leave the building immediately. [But] we decided to go to work. The situation's not over. It's something that we'll reconvene and talk about again, but we had practice today."

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said Hopkins had taken a "personal day."

"I'm 100 percent with these players," O'Brien said. "I love these players, I love this coaching staff. We will show up in Seattle and play. We will play very hard. Seattle is a great football team with a great coaching staff. But we will be there when the ball is kicked off in Seattle."

O'Brien said he expects Hopkins to be on the team plane to fly to Seattle on Saturday and that the wide receiver will play Sunday against the Seahawks.

[...]

I don't know how old you are, but I remember the strike season in 1987.  Go watch some game tape of Sean Payton playing QB for the Bears and tell me the game will go on like that.
It did for a short period of time.  You can't bundle the likelihood of someone like Richard Sherman or a longer term veteran with years of making millions under their belts with rookies and soon to be drafted players.  Do you think it's likely that a Saquon Barkley would give up a path to millions?  Guys who have only been on rookie deals or first contracts aren't likely to go anywhere either.  I agree the NFL owners don't prefer that situation, but let's not overstate it to where the league is going to be entirely made up of replacement player level talents.

The funniest part about the making too much money dumbest argument of all time is:

No one cares if a poor person protests by themselves. 

That they make a lot of money and are successful is why one individual can make people listen.

It's a tough call. Most fans can't really discern much about talent (not meant degradingly, I doubt I'd be able to pick out the salient differences between the best will LB and the 50th best). Ugly QB play stands out to the casual eye, and I think they would need to prominently stand with their fellow players. But if talent among the other positions uniformly degraded to a slight degree throughout the league, I don't know if that would be all that noticeable.

Plus, it's a lot to ask to give up game checks. These guys have a limited time to make money.

There's not a tack the owners can take that won't lose them money.  Even if a majority of the fans want the players to stand, mandating it and penalizing players for not doing so is just going to make the whole story stay front and center longer.  I think trying to placate both sides, as Goodell has (perhaps to his credit) done is also lengthening the dispute and protracting the economic pain. 

Which is why, even though  it would probably hurt the league in the short term, I think the league should just drop the requirement for all players to be present for the national anthem.  If it did that, it could then have a stronger basis to prevent protests during the anthem, because they're not compelling any player to stand for the anthem.  And the league can still do all its pro-patriotism/military marketing.  They can just draw a distinction between the players and the league.  "The NFL supports the troops, but the NFL can't force its players to support them."  And the major advantage is that the story is basically over.  Sure, Trump may keep tweeting about it and keep it alive for another couple of weeks, but eventually it becomes the new normal.  They lose the fans they lose and can work on winning over new fans or getting some back as the issue becomes less fresh.  As an added bonus, it shows a degree of understanding for the players' perspective.   

It did for a short period of time.  You can't bundle the likelihood of someone like Richard Sherman or a longer term veteran with years of making millions under their belts with rookies and soon to be drafted players.  Do you think it's likely that a Saquon Barkley would give up a path to millions?  Guys who have only been on rookie deals or first contracts aren't likely to go anywhere either.  I agree the NFL owners don't prefer that situation, but let's not overstate it to where the league is going to be entirely made up of replacement player level talents.
Yeah that's not happening. And it shouldn't.

Players don't have to give up their careers to make a point. 

What's everyone else's degree in?  I know Watsons is in communications...maybe he can get a job broadcasting about these injustices? 

Looked at Fuller, Foreman and Blue next but looks like none of them finished school and I got bored after that

It will never happen that way. Maybe I am wrong but I don`t see Antonio Brown giving up a million dollar a game payday. Or Suh giving up 1.5 million a game. Then you have the lower paid guys who are clawing for 20-50K per game checks that they need to live on.

knowledge dropper, why are you still allowed to post in these forums after you made blatantly racist statements in the White Nationalist thread? Yeah I know that your post got deleted (as did every response which named you -- gee, I wonder who authorized that??). But that shouldn't have prevented you from being permabanned.
Did a grown man tattle on me for something because he felt offended?  

A permaband for a joke in the same thread Trump supporters were called every derogatory name in the book?   Makes sense.....

College football is pretty popular.  

If the few dozen protesting players want to hang their helmets up I don’t think it would have much of an impact at all.  The only QB that protested is already gone and the quality in SF seems about the same.

Most of the players aren’t rolling in money and actually need the paycheck.

College football is pretty popular.  

If the few dozen protesting players want to hang their helmets up I don’t think it would have much of an impact at all.  The only QB that protested is already gone and the quality in SF seems about the same.

Most of the players aren’t rolling in money and actually need the paycheck.
A few dozen open roster spots in the NFL would be an unacceptable dilution of the talent pool.  At least, that's what the owners say when expansion gets brought up.

Did a grown man tattle on me for something because he felt offended?
I suspect that Joe Bryant was offended when you made a crack about black people drinking malt liquor, but I could be wrong. The mods deleted your post in addition to a bunch of posts which criticized you, so you were obviously getting some special protection there.

No we wont

More on the anger in the Texans’ organization over owner Bob McNair’s comments:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21185499/houston-texans-players-considered-walkout-bob-mcnair-comment

Texans players considered walkout over Bob McNair comment

HOUSTON -- Some Texans players considered staging a walkout following a comment by team owner Bob McNair that compared NFL players to "inmates," a source told ESPN.

About 10 players, including Pro Bowl wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, left the facility Friday, the source said. Sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter that Hopkins' absence from practice was directly related to McNair's comment.

Most of the players who left returned to the facility, the source said, and the remaining players were talked out of their protest by the coaching staff.

"When it happened, there's a thousand emotions going through your mind," left tackle Duane Brown said. "Obviously, one of the emotions is to leave the building immediately. [But] we decided to go to work. The situation's not over. It's something that we'll reconvene and talk about again, but we had practice today."

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said Hopkins had taken a "personal day."

"I'm 100 percent with these players," O'Brien said. "I love these players, I love this coaching staff. We will show up in Seattle and play. We will play very hard. Seattle is a great football team with a great coaching staff. But we will be there when the ball is kicked off in Seattle."

O'Brien said he expects Hopkins to be on the team plane to fly to Seattle on Saturday and that the wide receiver will play Sunday against the Seahawks.

[...]
This is why players shouldn't blow their money like so many of them do.  They could live frugally, save their money so when they need to exercise the only power they have they can make it felt by the owners and league.  Instead, I bet many of them "need" their paychecks, so they'll play.

This is why players shouldn't blow their money like so many of them do.  They could live frugally, save their money so when they need to exercise the only power they have they can make it felt by the owners and league.  Instead, I bet many of them "need" their paychecks, so they'll play.
Unfortunately most likely true. Instead of a $600-700k house they buy a 2mil + house etc. Their money but financial education should be stresssed by agents etc

I'm genuinely shuked by the McNair controversy. I'm usually on the team of the people who are offended by what he said, but isn't it just a really commonly used expression*? The people who say we get offended by everything are talking about stuff like this. 

*I mean, he kind of screwed it up but I've heard it prison also. 

I'm genuinely shuked by the McNair controversy. I'm usually on the team of the people who are offended by what he said, but isn't it just a really commonly used expression*? The people who say we get offended by everything are talking about stuff like this. 

Yeah, I tend to agree.  I do think any person who owns or runs a company would catch flak for referring to its employees in that analogy if became public.  Because of the highly tense situation this has become, he certainly should be more careful. 

There isn't any reason think McNair meant any offense though. 

For all the talk of the players not wanting to lose checks, I highly doubt owners want to lose cash either. There are owners where the team is their main source of income. Owners aren't locking out anymore than players are sitting out.

Michael Skolnik‏ @MichaelSkolnik 3h3 hours ago

When a NFL owner says, “We can’t have inmates running the prison,” that’s

exactly why players should take a knee.

Shame on you, Bob McNair.
What do you think would have happened had the owner of the Penguins said this, or any other NHL team?

Context is everything. Yes, it is a commonly used expression (running an asylum that is) but his team has predominately black players and to refer to them as prisoners has negative racial and racist overtones from their perspective. Here is a comment on social media from an AA woman, which is an overreaction, but is typical of what I have been seeing today:

April N. Barksdale‏ @april_nachelle 3m3 minutes ago

Bob McNair comment translation through the eyes of black people;

‘We can’t let the slaves run the plantation.’ I can’t believe this is 2017.

This Bob McNair thing is great. He's a terrible person. Love this.
Terrific guy. Very charitable. 
Yeah, not really sure what @massraider is referring to there.  McNair gave $1mm to Harvey and has long been generous towards higher education.  My alma mater, in particular, has received a great deal over the years.  I was friends with many people on scholarships bearing his name, so I've been more aware of him than most owners at least.

Not sure what he has done for people to think he is a terrible person.  This comment was poor choice and I'm sure he has or will apologize for that.  He has donated a decent chunk to Republicans (including Trump) over the years, but so what?

Context is everything. Yes, it is a commonly used expression (running an asylum that is) but his team has predominately black players and to refer to them as prisoners has negative racial and racist overtones from their perspective. Here is a comment on social media from an AA woman, which is an overreaction, but is typical of what I have been seeing today:

April N. Barksdale‏ @april_nachelle 3m3 minutes ago

Bob McNair comment translation through the eyes of black people;

‘We can’t let the slaves run the plantation.’ I can’t believe this is 2017.
What a time to be alive

“I never meant to offend anyone, and I was not referring to our players,” McNair said in a statement on Friday. “I used a figure of speech that was never intended to be taken literally. I would never characterize our players or our league that way, and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/sports/football/bob-mcnair-texans.html?_r=0

Seems sincere.  I get why people are upset (particularly Texans), but doesn't seem like a big deal :shrug:

....until Trump tweets about it at least

“I never meant to offend anyone, and I was not referring to our players,” McNair said in a statement on Friday. “I used a figure of speech that was never intended to be taken literally. I would never characterize our players or our league that way, and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/sports/football/bob-mcnair-texans.html?_r=0

Seems sincere.  I get why people are upset (particularly Texans), but doesn't seem like a big deal :shrug:
Agreed.  Even though it was in private, it probably wasn't the best choice of words, even though that is a take on a fairly common cliche.  The fact that some are taking his comments literally or spinning it to act like it translates to something else is sad.  Not surprising, but sad. 

Who was he talking about, if not the players?

I think it was just an unfortunate slip-up of a common cliche.  If he says "asylum" I don't think there's any issue.  Now maybe he's actually racist and having a team full of black guys is what made him think "prison" but that seems pretty unlikely.

Regardless, I have no idea why he has fallen back on "I wasn't talking about the players" as his defense, which seems like an obvious lie (the context seems clear that it was the players), when he doesn't need to lie to explain it properly.

The whole thing is weird.

It is pretty ridiculous anytime a QB gets hurt people are enraged that K Stink isn't given a chance to play.  He simply wasn't very good, and yeah, his stupid actions have made it worse.  Doubt he will ever play again.  Good riddance.

Users who are viewing this thread