Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Dr. Awesome

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news

“I never meant to offend anyone, and I was not referring to our players,” McNair said in a statement on Friday. “I used a figure of speech that was never intended to be taken literally. I would never characterize our players or our league that way, and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/sports/football/bob-mcnair-texans.html?_r=0

Seems sincere.  I get why people are upset (particularly Texans), but doesn't seem like a big deal :shrug:

....until Trump tweets about it at least

13 minutes ago, squistion said:

Predominately black players versus predominately white players. People whose race has a history of enslavement can be a bit overly sensitive to be referred to as a prisoner, which has overtones of being regarded as chattel.

When does that end, never?

6 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

“I never meant to offend anyone, and I was not referring to our players,” McNair said in a statement on Friday. “I used a figure of speech that was never intended to be taken literally. I would never characterize our players or our league that way, and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/sports/football/bob-mcnair-texans.html?_r=0

Seems sincere.  I get why people are upset (particularly Texans), but doesn't seem like a big deal :shrug:

Agreed.  Even though it was in private, it probably wasn't the best choice of words, even though that is a take on a fairly common cliche.  The fact that some are taking his comments literally or spinning it to act like it translates to something else is sad.  Not surprising, but sad. 

13 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

yes, never.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Whenever racial inequality ends, which has been the main issue behind the protests since day one. 

Who was he talking about, if not the players?

I think it was just an unfortunate slip-up of a common cliche.  If he says "asylum" I don't think there's any issue.  Now maybe he's actually racist and having a team full of black guys is what made him think "prison" but that seems pretty unlikely.

Regardless, I have no idea why he has fallen back on "I wasn't talking about the players" as his defense, which seems like an obvious lie (the context seems clear that it was the players), when he doesn't need to lie to explain it properly.

The whole thing is weird.

It is pretty ridiculous anytime a QB gets hurt people are enraged that K Stink isn't given a chance to play.  He simply wasn't very good, and yeah, his stupid actions have made it worse.  Doubt he will ever play again.  Good riddance.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

It is pretty ridiculous anytime a QB gets hurt people are enraged that K Stink isn't given a chance to play.  He simply wasn't very good, and yeah, his stupid actions have made it worse.  Doubt he will ever play again.  Good riddance.

Do you think Colin Kaepernick is a bad person?

6 hours ago, squistion said:

Michael Skolnik‏ @MichaelSkolnik 3h3 hours ago

When a NFL owner says, “We can’t have inmates running the prison,” that’s

exactly why players should take a knee.

Shame on you, Bob McNair.

What’s the knee accomplishing in this scenario exactly?  Pretty sure the knee is what caused it. So the knee is doing harm?

Social justice is very tiring. 

Edited by RBM

3 minutes ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

Do you think Colin Kaepernick is a bad person?

Definitely selfish. Don’t know him well enough to say good or bad. 

1 minute ago, RBM said:

What’s the knee accomplishing in this scenario exactly?  Pretty sure the knee is what caused it. So the knee is doing harm?

Social justice is very tiring. 

Why are you posting on this topic right now while Mueller is throwing down indictments? 

2 hours ago, Gawain said:

For all the talk of the players not wanting to lose checks, I highly doubt owners want to lose cash either. There are owners where the team is their main source of income. Owners aren't locking out anymore than players are sitting out.

Which ones?

1 hour ago, Don't Noonan said:

16 touchdowns and 4 interceptions for the 2016 49ers with Torrey Smith as the #1 Wr is pretty awful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squistion said:

Predominately black players versus predominately white players. People whose race has a history of enslavement can be a bit overly sensitive to be referred to as a prisoner, which has overtones of being regarded as chattel.

And yet you are the guy who said apples to watermelons.........

I figured you could understand McNair’s gaff 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squistion said:

Whenever racial inequality ends, which has been the main issue behind the protests since day one. 

Who decides when that is?

19 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Some of the right-wingers are actually clinging to this thread.

So ####ing sad. 

You want sad, how about your near 12 month temper tantrum because you lost an election. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Why are you posting on this topic right now while Mueller is throwing down indictments? 

Mueller has zero credibility at this point. Trump should have sent him packing months ago. 

6 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

I think never is a safe assumption.

I asked who. Not when?

3 minutes ago, RBM said:

You want sad, how about your near 12 month temper tantrum because you lost an election. 

BST ran for office?

2 minutes ago, KCitons said:

I asked who. Not when?

White liberals that’s who. 

Just now, Cowboysfan8 said:

So...never

As long as they can still exploit it to their advantage, you’re right. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RBM said:

Mueller has zero credibility at this point. Trump should have sent him packing months ago. 

Well, let him Fire Mueller and see what happens. 

30 minutes ago, RBM said:

You serious Clark?

52 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

I figured you could understand McNair’s gaff 

I think you meant to say gaffe. A gaff is a stick with a hook, or a barbed spear, for landing large fish.

4 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

You serious Clark?

Very much so Edward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Which ones?

Halas, Bidwell, Mike Brown all seem to need the income football provides.

15 minutes ago, squistion said:

I think you meant to say gaffe. A gaff is a stick with a hook, or a barbed spear, for landing large fish.

screw you and your "proper english"

everyone knows grammar has a Liberal bias

• Like 1

I hope when I'm 80 I don't mix up a phrase.  By the time that day comes people will be getting shot on the spot for it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RBM said:

Very much so Edward. 

Then it’s hard to take anythjng you ever say seriously...because that is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, sho nuff said:

Then it’s hard to take anythjng you ever say seriously...because that is ridiculous.

Oh well. 

1 hour ago, RBM said:

So what will you do IF all of this ends very, very badly...like worse than Watergate...for Trump and friends?

32 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

So what will you do IF all of this ends very, very badly...like worse than Watergate...for Trump and friends?

Hide under a sheet. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Any day now..

45 minutes ago, urbanhack said:
2 hours ago, RBM said:

This was a screen shot on Fox you know from a few years ago.   Frauds. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNMR7U-VwAAKsqN?format=jpg&name=large

For Trump supporters, Mueller has only as much credibility as Trump says he does.  Fox News will follow suit until it's not financially advantageous for them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gawain said:

Halas, Bidwell, Mike Brown all seem to need the income football provides.

Source?

3 minutes ago, Underachievers said:

??????....to think this thread started because a spoiled black millionaire, raised by white folks, cried over being beat out by Blaine Gabbert

FYP

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RBM said:

Definitely selfish. Don’t know him well enough to say good or bad. 

ya the guy who gave up a multi-million dollar career to stand up against the mistreatment of people is selfish.  my god you people are just unbelievable.

12 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

well, to start, how about when school and housing segregation end.

20 hours ago, Limp Ditka said:

@Joe Bryant - It amazes me how you allow this Hell Toupee / Rambling Wreck / Squition slap fight continue on and on and on and on. They've argued over this nickname crap, ad nauseum, for over a month now and all that is is an extension of the petty bull#### bickering they've been doing for almost a year now.

Now I know that you've personally reached out to me in the past when my issues with other posters became, what you perceived to be, a problem on this site.

This is a problem. fix it.

Thanks for the post. I've been busy with football content this week. 

But agreed. Stop the slap fighting. Drop the dumb nicknames.

46 minutes ago, Underachievers said:

??????....to think this thread started because a spoiled black millionaire, raised by white folks, cried over being oppressed.

Yeah that would be a really silly thing to think, since it’s not what actually happened.  At all.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Dedfin said:

This is why players shouldn't blow their money like so many of them do.  They could live frugally, save their money so when they need to exercise the only power they have they can make it felt by the owners and league.  Instead, I bet many of them "need" their paychecks, so they'll play.

You could say this about everyone.