What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (4 Viewers)

Please point to the part of the flag code the I am in violation of? Keep in mind that my avatar is a picture of a flag and not an actual flag or material object. It's displayed properly and done so in a respectful manner. 

If you are saying that it offends you and that you want me to take it down, it solidifies your lack of patriotism and disrespect for our fallen troops. Good luck. 

Please point to the part of the flag code the I am in violation of? Keep in mind that my avatar is a picture of a flag and not an actual flag or material object. It's displayed properly and done so in a respectful manner. 

If you are saying that it offends you and that you want me to take it down, it solidifies your lack of patriotism and disrespect for our fallen troops. Good luck. 
Representations of the flag are treated as the flag.  You are violating Section 8 Part g at minimum.

Your last few sentences were awful.  I don't need anyone telling me how much I do or don't love this country.  I definitely don't need your wishes of luck.  I'll just wrap this up by saying you nothing about me, or my history.  Stick to what you do know.

Representations of the flag are treated as the flag.  You are violating Section 8 Part g at minimum.

Your last few sentences were awful.  I don't need anyone telling me how much I do or don't love this country.  I definitely don't need your wishes of luck.  I'll just wrap this up by saying you nothing about me, or my history.  Stick to what you do know.
May have been awful, but this is a pretty thin skinned reaction for someone who called him out and attacked something you knew he believed strongly in.  If you can't take it, you shouldn't have gone there.

But you asked me to remove my avatar. Why? Were you just trolling?

If you can't see that intent of my avatar, then why would I think you are anything else? Also, make sure you request other members remove the flag from their avatar as well. 

But you asked me to remove my avatar. Why? Were you just trolling?

If you can't see that intent of my avatar, then why would I think you are anything else? Also, make sure you request other members remove the flag from their avatar as well. 
I didn't ask you to remove it.  I didn't say it offended me.  I said you should remove it.  It's the same language as in the Flag Code.  It's the same language used when referring to conduct during the National Anthem.  These are all voluntary actions.  I started this because I thought you were being inconsistent with your application of these guildelines.  Are we back on track now?

I don't know what you are protesting.  I admit I was guessing, since you are disrespecting the flag like that.  You should change it.

I hope the refs don't get disciplinary action for walking off.  They should get disciplinary action for acting like babies after the game though.

I didn't ask you to remove it.  I didn't say it offended me.  I said you should remove it.  It's the same language as in the Flag Code.  It's the same language used when referring to conduct during the National Anthem.  These are all voluntary actions.  I started this because I thought you were being inconsistent with your application of these guildelines.  Are we back on track now?
Fair enough. I will take it down. 

They probably will be. But, they made the choice to protest even though it would cause them personal loss. You can't respect that?
Sure, as I respect Kaep's right to protest, who may never play another down in the NFL as a result. And I do hope their officiating days are over.

Sure, as I respect Kaep's right to protest, who may never play another down in the NFL as a result. And I do hope their officiating days are over.
They probably are. Maybe they felt the trade off was worth it. Maybe they have a union where they can file a grievance. Probably a losing battle. 

They probably are. Maybe they felt the trade off was worth it. Maybe they have a union where they can file a grievance. Probably a losing battle. 
Wasn't this a high school game?  If so they'll be on the field by next week.  Have a good friend responsible for scheduling about 50 games a week of high school football officials.  He has trouble finding people with a pulse to even show up.  If they want back in, they'll be on the field.  They might get fired from one association and have to go to work for another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah man.  No need to punish these guys.  Making the rift bigger for a small payoff doesn't sound like a smart call imo.

Wasn't this a high school game?  If so they'll be on the field by next week.  Have a good friend responsible for scheduling about 50 games a week of high school football officials.  He has trouble finding people with a pulse to even show up.  If they want back in, they'll be on the field.  They might get fired from one association and have to go to work for another.
No, probably not, according to was posted on the previous page.

Lunardelli, meanwhile, said he and his son were unassigned from working Saturday’s game between Spotswood and Raritan.
And why in the world would they assign these clowns to any game. who will walk off the field again if one player protests?

And why in the world would they assign these clowns to any game. who will walk off the field again if one player protests?
You really have trouble seeing the other side of this don't you?

When you have a shortage and problems finding warm bodies, if they haven't had any other issues they'll find a spot.  There's a lot of guys who my friend deals with who call off day of the game saying they can't come and send him scrambling all the time.  Frustrates him, but he's so short on numbers because there aren't that many guys certified, he has no choice but to keep on booking them.  He tells me all the time if I want in the game to let him know.  I tell him, nope I don't need that kind of abuse.

They'll likely be booked, whether it's with the same officials association or another one they move on to, on games with schools where they know there won't be anyone kneeling.  The officials know that in advance based on what's already occurred with the schools they call.

When you have a shortage and problems finding warm bodies, if they haven't had any other issues they'll find a spot.  There's a lot of guys who my friend deals with who call of day of the game saying they can't come and send him scrambling all the time.  Frustrates him, but he's so short on numbers because there aren't that many guys certified, he has no choice but to keep on booking them.  He tells me all the time if I want in the game to let him know.  I tell him, nope I don't need that kind of abuse.
Nope. Not at all. Won't happen. They have put the people who hired them on notice that they will do this again any time one single player kneels during the anthem. There is no way their bosses want a second week of publicity like this when the once again walk off the field in protest.

I think EVERYONE could be more understanding of these protests and their motivations behind them.  I think it would really suck if any of us support hurting anyone's financial or career well being because of it.  Just let people make their statement.

I have no problem, read the articled I posted They said they will not officiate and walk off their job if just one player only kneels during the anthem.
I wasn't responding to the article. Didn't you ask "who would walk off the field again if one player kneels"  Maybe I'm reading it wrong. 

The article also states that the ref gave notice of his protest 

Ernie Lunardelli said weeks ago he informed the officials assigner for the Greater Middlesex Conference, Thomas Paulikas, that he would walk off the field if any players knelt for the anthem before his games.
Seems like the league office was ill prepared. 

Nope. Not at all. Won't happen. They have put the people who hired them on notice that they will do this again any time one single player kneels during the anthem. There is no way their bosses want a second week of publicity like this when the once again walk off the field in protest.
I'd offer to make a wager with you but whenever I do that I get in trouble around here.  You obviously don't know high school officiating and how that works.  I've been around all that kind of stuff in some form or fashion my whole life.  You're assuming there's a lot more stable "boss structure" for lack of a better term than there is, at least around here where they take high school football pretty seriously.  Usually booking these guys is the responsibility of a white hat who just happens to be the guy the organization decided to put in charge of scheduling.  There is no company structure with a corporate office and a boss to answer to in the traditional sense.

I wasn't responding to the article. Didn't you ask "who would walk off the field again if one player kneels"  Maybe I'm reading it wrong. 

The article also states that the ref gave notice of his protest 

Seems like the league office was ill prepared. 
Yes, they probably were. They may have thought he was bluffing and wouldn't risk his job over this - or in the alternative that no players would kneel during the anthem.

Doesn't matter, they are history officiating any HS games so this publicity stunt on their part won't happen a second time.

Yes, they probably were. They may have thought he was bluffing and wouldn't risk his job over this - or in the alternative that no players would kneel during the anthem.

Doesn't matter, they are history officiating any HS games so this publicity stunt on their part won't happen a second time.
I doubt this was his full time job. Three hours a week of getting yelled at by parents probably wont be tough to replace. 

I doubt this was his full time job. Three hours a week of getting yelled at by parents probably wont be tough to replace. 
Yeah, you aren't gonna be doing this full time.  These guys all have day jobs or are retired.  They do it because they love it.  They get paid peanuts.

If they pay someone four times the salary he was getting they will be money ahead rather than dealing with the negative publicity and blowback after he walks off the field again after one player kneels.

Who in their right mind would want to continue this PR nightmare?

If they pay someone four times the salary he was getting they will be money ahead rather than dealing with the negative publicity and blowback after he walks off the field again after one player kneels.
Some people's principals aren't for sale. But, I get what you are saying. 

The more important question. What if a college or pro ref crew decides to make the same statement? 

Some people's principals aren't for sale. But, I get what you are saying. 

The more important question. What if a college or pro ref crew decides to make the same statement? 
They are professionals and do this full time for a living. The refs are supposed to be unbiased and apolitical - I just can't see this happening

Who in their right mind would want to continue this PR nightmare?
Seriously?  This is high school football.  The revenue model is based on parents and students coming to see their school's games.  High school officials are paid by the schools, basically the association is just a "pass through".  Unless it's changed since I had reason to know, officials were literally handed a check at the gate by the school administrators either when they showed up or at the end of the night.  There is no "salary" to pay 4x on, it's a fee that is typically standard across the board plus the standard mileage rate from the association's standard leaving spot.  Where is this PR nightmare going to be directed, at the home team who hosted the game?  I guarantee you the school has no idea who the officials' names even are unless the coaches already know them when they get there.  

They are professionals and do this full time for a living. The refs are supposed to be unbiased and apolitical - I just can't see this happening
Yeah, you're wrong here again, at least when it comes to the NCAA.  SEC officials typically have jobs during the week, I know one.  These guys even in Power 5 conferences aren't rolling in the dough.  

Yeah, you're wrong here again, at least when it comes to the NCAA.  SEC officials typically have jobs during the week, I know one.  These guys even in Power 5 conferences aren't rolling in the dough.  
Please. Do you honestly think that even one NCAA or NFL ref will walk off the field and refuse to officiate because one player protests the anthem by kneeling? Really?

PR stunt indeed. Wonder if his activist wife put him up to it.

Not yet but it is moving in that direction. These are professional men and women, no way any of them walk off the field and refuse to officiate an NFL game because one player kneels. Won't happen.
Those 24 full time positions will be filled over the next two years. The league isn't looking to add to it's payroll if it doesn't have to. 

Please. Do you honestly think that even one NCAA or NFL ref will walk off the field and refuse to officiate because one player protests the anthem by kneeling? Really?
I never said they would, never made an assertion to that effect.  You made a statement as fact these guys were full time officials which they aren't and I merely pointed that out.  Let me throw you a life jacket here as you're having a hard time tonight, there won't be a NCAA "kneeling protest" in major D1 football that I'm familiar with because the teams have never been on the field during the anthem.  It's always been protocol in the games I've been to for 35 years for the anthem to be played, and as the band clears the field then the teams come out.

Users who are viewing this thread