What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (6 Viewers)

They wouldn’t be just peaceful barging into the stage.  This would be an apt comparison if it was fans protesting by running out into the field or a kid doing so.  But you’d have issues that the kid would be supposed to be performing and not protesting.  I don’t find this a very good comparison.
Ok, so they stood in their seat and did it?

Heck lets say that ten of them stood in the back. Only while your kid was playing. Then they left.

I mean so what if it is a bit disruptive, right? This is america, they are just peacefully protesting.

Ok, so they stood in their seat and did it?

Heck lets say that ten of them stood in the back. Only while your kid was playing. Then they left.

I mean so what if it is a bit disruptive, right? This is america, they are just peacefully protesting.
If they stood in their seat and didn’t block someone else’s view.  Why would I care?

If it’s disruptive as far as noise or commotion...that would also be far different than the NFL players form of protest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for those who find NFL players kneeling to be disrespectful to the National Anthem and flag...what are your opinions on...

• During the anthem...fans inserting their team name to the end of the anthem?  (and the home of the...BRAVES! or BLUES...or whatever?)
  • Chicago Blackhawks fans cheering during the anthem (btw...I have no problem with this)?
  • The flag being displayed on the field horizontally against US Flag code?

If the reporting there is accurate and the threshold is just two teams to qualify as collusion, this could get super interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't happen frequently. I would guess lots of owners have a couple of owners they're close to who would "go along" with their friend. Not saying it's right. I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't happen frequently. 
I think CK's case is going to come down to finding emails or written proof that there was a conspiracy to keep him out of the league.  I agree that the owners will back each other verbally if there's no written evidence that they should have destroyed a long time ago.

To be clear, you have no answer and are choosing to sidetrack the discussion?  I should move on and realize not to engage you in a serious discussion?
Ignore is a valuable feature of this board if you choose to use it.  I won't stop you, but will suggest again CK has said why the anthem numerous times.

Ignore is a valuable feature of this board if you choose to use it.  I won't stop you, but will suggest again CK has said why the anthem numerous times.
I'm not asking CK.  I'm asking you since you claimed "So it doesn't interfere with the work they have to do and they can deliver the product they are paid to deliver.".  Doing it during the anthem is certainly considered disrespectful to some and kneeling before pregame stretching likely will not offend anyone.  So again, why choose to do it during the anthem?

I'm not asking CK.  I'm asking you since you claimed "So it doesn't interfere with the work they have to do and they can deliver the product they are paid to deliver.".  Doing it during the anthem is certainly considered disrespectful to some and kneeling before pregame stretching likely will not offend anyone.  So again, why choose to do it during the anthem?
Oh sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.   The reason I believe they do it during the anthem and not game time is so it doesn't interfere with the work they have to do and they can deliver the product they are paid to deliver

So again, why choose to do it during the anthem?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691077/article/colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-sat-during-national-anthem

Colin Kaepernick explains why he sat during national anthem

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

[...]

Kaepernick said that he is aware of what he is doing and that he knows it will not sit well with a lot of people, including the 49ers. He said that he did not inform the club or anyone affiliated with the team of his intentions to protest the national anthem.

"This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," he said. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."

Kaepernick said that he has thought about going public with his feelings for a while but that "I felt that I needed to understand the situation better."

He said that he has discussed his feelings with his family and, after months of witnessing some of the civil unrest in the U.S., decided to be more active and involved in rights for black people. Kaepernick, who is biracial, was adopted and raised by white parents and siblings.

People show up to a football game to watch what the players do during the anthem?

When did this happen?

Psst...the anthem isn't the even people show up for.
You think people show up at piano recitals to hear other people's kids?

You are claiming that peaceful protest is always acceptable and that people should never be offended by it. 

I am simply pointing out how silly of a statement that is sInce there are literally thousands of scenarios where peaceful protest would still be totally improper and you would never admit it in this thread of course, but there are tons of scenarios you would be upset about too. 

It is a perfectly reasonable stance to find what Kaepernick does to be offensive and still believe he should be allowed to do it by law.  

The real problem we have here is that people can't dissociate with Colin's message. They think that since they agree with his message that it makes it ok. It happens the other way too. They think that because they disagree with his message it is ok to slam him for what he is doing. 

It doesnt have to be that way. You can also agree with his message and still think he is being an idiot. Or you can disagree with his message but think he is behaving completely fine.

What isn't fine though is telling any one of those stances they need to leave the country simply because he is being peaceful. That just makes zero sense.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691077/article/colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-sat-during-national-anthem

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

[...]

Kaepernick said that he is aware of what he is doing and that he knows it will not sit well with a lot of people, including the 49ers. He said that he did not inform the club or anyone affiliated with the team of his intentions to protest the national anthem.

"This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," he said. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."

Kaepernick said that he has thought about going public with his feelings for a while but that "I felt that I needed to understand the situation better."

He said that he has discussed his feelings with his family and, after months of witnessing some of the civil unrest in the U.S., decided to be more active and involved in rights for black people. Kaepernick, who is biracial, was adopted and raised by white parents and siblings.
Thanks for the quote.  I was always under the impression that it was a protest against police brutality.  It appears it is a protest against the entire country.  I wonder how he feels about all the services that are provided to him by this country.

You keep conflating a protest before the games start with a protest during a piano recital.

If you want an apt analogy it is like someone holding up a protest sign in front of the stage before the recital begins. That is not disruptive to the performance of the recital. Now, doing it during the recital would be disruptive to those watching the recital as would the players doing some sort of protest during the games which would be disruptive or distracting to those watching the games.

[...]

He was sulking like a petulant little kid because Gabbert beat him out and invented the reason

You keep conflating a protest before the games start with a protest during a piano recital.

If you want an apt analogy it is like someone holding up a protest sign in front of the stage before the recital begins. That is not disruptive to the performance of the recital. Now, doing it during the recital would be disruptive to those watching the recital as would the players doing some sort of protest during the games which would be disruptive or distracting to those watching the games.
A piano recital is a fine example. Almost nobody goes to a piano recital to see all the other kids perform. They are there for their kids performance. Just because they dont care about the other kids, doesn't mean somebody else doesnt.

Question for those who find NFL players kneeling to be disrespectful to the National Anthem and flag...what are your opinions on...

• During the anthem...fans inserting their team name to the end of the anthem? (and the home of the...BRAVES! or BLUES...or whatever?)
• Chicago Blackhawks fans cheering during the anthem (btw...I have no problem with this)?
• The flag being displayed on the field horizontally against US Flag code?
I'm sure they'll say that it's not about the fans, it's about the players. But the players have been "disrespecting the flag" by violating the Flag Code for years:

• all present should stand at attention (sure they are standing, but is it really "at attention"?)
• face the flag (this rarely happens unless there's a giant flag in the middle of the field, which itself is a violation of the Flag Code)
• right hand over the heart
• remove headdress and hold it at the left shoulder (most players remove their helmets but they almost never hold it at their left shoulder)
• No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform (oops Patriots)

None of this stuff seemed to ever bother conservatives, because, quite frankly, it's pretty minor stuff. But apparently the Flag Code is a little bit like the Bible -- certain groups are allowed to pick and choose which verses are important to follow, and which verses can be ignored. Also, certain people are given more leeway when it comes to violating the code. If you are deemed to be a "pious" person, then your transgressions are excused and forgiven; but if you are deemed to be a troublemaker or nonconformist, then the exact same transgressions are considered to be sacrilege. Those who selectively hide behind the Flag Code are allowed to occupy a higher moral ground, even when they choose to violate the same codes that they supposedly consider to be sacred.

A piano recital is a fine example. Almost nobody goes to a piano recital to see all the other kids perform. They are there for their kids performance. Just because they dont care about the other kids, doesn't mean somebody else doesnt.
Again, there would be no interference with any kids performance if the protest was done before, not during the recital.

You spelled "so they can get their face on the news" wrong
To some extent this is true, but that's because all protests work this way.  If you have a problem with people seeking to bring attention to their cause than you have a problem with the very concept of a protest.

Still, it's worth pointing out that Kaepernick, who started the anthem protests, didn't tell anyone in the media it and it actually went unnoticed for a couple weeks.

It's amazing how often people who seem to have a problem with Kaepernick make incorrect assumptions about him- he's not intelligent, he doesn't put his money where his mouth is and give to charity, he doesn't go the extra mile and do community outreach, he just wants to get his face on the news.  All of them said at some point in this thread, and all of them wrong.

I'm sure they'll say that it's not about the fans, it's about the players. But the players have been "disrespecting the flag" by violating the Flag Code for years:

• all present should stand at attention (sure they are standing, but is it really "at attention"?)
• face the flag (this rarely happens unless there's a giant flag in the middle of the field, which itself is a violation of the Flag Code)
• remove headdress and hold it at the left shoulder (most players remove their helmets but they almost never hold it at their left shoulder)
• No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform (oops Patriots)

None of this stuff seemed to ever bother conservatives, because, quite frankly, it's pretty minor stuff. But apparently the Flag Code is a little bit like the Bible -- certain groups are allowed to pick and choose which verses are important to follow, and which verses can be ignored. Also, certain people are given more leeway when it comes to violating the code. If you are deemed to be a "pious" person, then your transgressions are excused and forgiven; but if you are deemed to be a troublemaker or nonconformist, then the exact same transgressions are considered to be sacrilege. Those who selectively hide behind the Flag Code are allowed to occupy a higher moral ground, even when they choose to violate the same codes that they supposedly consider to be sacred.
You are ignoring intent. I think most people would find it inappropriate if somebody wore a shirt that had somebody wiping their butt with the flag. Somebody just wearing a shirt with the flag would only upset a few people that were strict followers of flag code.

It doesn't make the people upset with the first shirt wrong because they didnt get upset at the second. 

Again, there would be no interference with any kids performance if the protest was done before, not during the recital.
Kind of like how there would be no interference if kneeling was done before the anthem. You are trying to make some warped inference that nobody cares about the anthem and that it is some lala land of before the game and it isnt actually a performance. It is an event. It is televised. People talk about it, people replay it. They get special guests to do it. They replay and count on chicago radio all the time how long a singer held certain notes. It is disingenuous to argue otherwise.  

And yes I acknowledge this still upset some people, which I disagree with.

"Intent to draw attention" is not the same as "intent to offend".

You are creating intent where none exists, to justify your faux moral outrage.
LOL at moral outrage nonsense.  Come on man  @timschochet has mentioned several times that point of most protests are to make people uncomfortable so action gets taken.  They are protesting during the anthem because they know it's considered disrespectful by many people and making people angry gets them attention. Otherwise if they were protesting police brutality they would protest at the police station.  Or if they are protesting laws that aren't fan to black people they would protest at city hall or governor's office or somewhere where people actually make laws.  But NFL pregame during the anthem gets the most people pissed off and the most attention.  

"Intent to draw attention" is not the same as "intent to offend".
From a position in the middle - not pro- or anti-Kaep:

When has "intent to offend" ever mattered when offense is invoked? That has never been a exculpatory defense.

Sometimes, drawing attention is offensive -- and I expect that Kaepernick weighed and measured that possible response and in the end, was OK with offending some people to make his larger point. Causing offense is common in protest ... it is what it is.

Actually almost everyone goes to see other kids perform. I only know me and a couple other to go see my kid.

You are claiming that peaceful protest is always acceptable and that people should never be offended by it. 

I am simply pointing out how silly of a statement that is sInce there are literally thousands of scenarios where peaceful protest would still be totally improper and you would never admit it in this thread of course, but there are tons of scenarios you would be upset about too. 

It is a perfectly reasonable stance to find what Kaepernick does to be offensive and still believe he should be allowed to do it by law.  

The real problem we have here is that people can't dissociate with Colin's message. They think that since they agree with his message that it makes it ok. It happens the other way too. They think that because they disagree with his message it is ok to slam him for what he is doing. 

It doesnt have to be that way. You can also agree with his message and still think he is being an idiot. Or you can disagree with his message but think he is behaving completely fine.

What isn't fine though is telling any one of those stances they need to leave the country simply because he is being peaceful. That just makes zero sense.  
I think they show up to see their kid...and are expected to not disrupt while other kids are playing...so others can enjoy their kids.

Im claiming that being offended by kneeling for the national anthem...a peacful form of protest...seems to be an issue with that person.  And perhaps they would be happier in countries that don't allow such behavior.

Your recital example has been bad from the start (as I and others have shown)...and just gets worse.

To claim it is offensive and therefore he should stop doing it (or others should stop) is what I took exception to.

But your example would still be disruptive to others who wish to watch the performance.

I also notice that none of them even attempted answering those questions I asked.

You are ignoring intent. I think most people would find it inappropriate if somebody wore a shirt that had somebody wiping their butt with the flag. Somebody just wearing a shirt with the flag would only upset a few people that were strict followers of flag code.

It doesn't make the people upset with the first shirt wrong because they didnt get upset at the second. 
What is the intent of the kneeling?  Is it's intent to disrespect the flag, soldiers, anthem?  
Psst...its not...never has been.

Kind of like how there would be no interference if kneeling was done before the anthem. You are trying to make some warped inference that nobody cares about the anthem and that it is some lala land of before the game and it isnt actually a performance. It is an event. It is televised. People talk about it, people replay it. They get special guests to do it. They replay and count on chicago radio all the time how long a singer held certain notes. It is disingenuous to argue otherwise.  

There is no interference during the anthem either.

Yes it is an event but the purpose of the televised event is patriotic propaganda that was encouraged by the DOD in the form of payments to teams for many years for having the anthem played/performed before games. (and some teams may still be receiving funds, but I can't swear to that and don't have the time to research it). Now, promoting patriotism is a fine purpose but for many teams the goal may have been more monetary that patriotic (if one wishes to be cynical).

Also, until the protests started, the anthem had not been televised in recent years for most games, instead the networks ran commercials. Playoffs and special games (like Thanksgiving day) had televised anthems. but they were the exception not the rule.  

Yes it is an event but the purpose of the televised event is patriotic propaganda that was encouraged by the DOD in the form of payments to teams for many years for having the anthem played/performed before games. (and some teams may still be receiving funds, but I can't swear to that and don't have the time to research it). Now, promoting patriotism is a fine purpose but for many teams the goal may have been more monetary that patriotic (if one wishes to be cynical).

Also, until the protests started, the anthem had not been televised in recent years for most games, instead the networks ran commercials. Playoffs and special games (like Thanksgiving day) had televised anthems. but they were the exception not the rule.  
Are you honestly going to stand there and tell me nobody enjoys watching the anthem or the anthem being played doesn't have special meaning for some people?

You do know that people absolutely loved the Whitney houston performance and that happened way before the DOD deal. Do you really only think they loved it because it is just such a catchy tune? 

This video predates this protest by a ton. Just read the comments in the thread and listen to what the interviewees are saying. Here is a comment(from 3 years ago)..

People must keep in mind that this was during the height of Desert Storm Desert Shield and a very emotional time for our country. As a Combat Veteran I can’t do anything but let the tears fall while listening to Whitney put her heart and soul into her rendition of the National Anthem. Many sing the anthem to showcase their talents but Whitney sung this to touch the hearts and spirits of the American people and bring comfort, strength and pride during that difficult time.
Yeah, it is only because of the deal from 2009 that people care about the performance. just stop already. 

Are you honestly going to stand there and tell me nobody enjoys watching the anthem or the anthem being played doesn't have special meaning for some people?
Um, no, despite you continually accusing me of that, I have never said that no one enjoys watching the anthem, nor that it doesn't have speical meaning for some people. I am sure that there are many people that do and that it does - but that begs the question: Why were they not complaining about the lack of most regular season games not televising the anthem prior to the kneeling protests becoming newsworthy?

If you disagree, please provide one pre-Kaepernick kneeling protest link where someone/anyone is saying, "Why aren't the networks televising the playing of the anthem for all NFL games?"

You do know that people absolutely loved the Whitney houston performance and that happened way before the DOD deal. Do you really only think they loved it because it is just such a catchy tune? 

This video predates this protest by a ton. Just read the comments in the thread and listen to what the interviewees are saying. Here is a comment(from 3 years ago)..

Yeah, it is only because of the deal from 2009 that people care about the performance. just stop already. 
And they were looking at the flag or Whitney.  Not some guy kneeling in the sidelines who is no distraction from what Whitney lip synced.

Um, no, despite you continually accusing me of that, I have never said that no one enjoys watching the anthem, nor that it doesn't have speical meaning for some people. I am sure that there are many people that do and that it does - but that begs the question: Why were they not complaining about the lack of most regular season games not televising the anthem prior to the kneeling protests becoming newsworthy?

If you disagree, please provide one pre-Kaepernick kneeling protest link where someone/anyone is saying, "Why aren't the networks televising the playing of the anthem for all NFL games?"
Hmmmmm... Seems like I have seen this argument before. Interesting that this is the side you come down on. Will definitely make a note of that. 

And they were looking at the flag or Whitney.  Not some guy kneeling in the sidelines who is no distraction from what Whitney lip synced.
Pretty sure nobody was kneeling, but just to be clear. Are you saying that if one of the players would have kneeled that nobody would have noticed it? 

I was talking about your first example of going on stage.

I clearly stated I had no problem of someone quietly stood in the back.

Try again.
I remember you saying you didn't have an issue with somebody standing in their seat as long as they didn't block the view or cause any commotion (it would inevitably block the view and no matter where they were if they were protesting in that scenario it would cause a commotion.) 

I didn't see where you addressed the scenario of a bunch of guys standing in the back holding signs.  I just reread a bit and I don't see where you clearly said that. I will concede that doesnt mean you didnt say it though since I made a mistake earlier confusing a tim post too. Which post stated that?

Users who are viewing this thread