What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (4 Viewers)

Anyone still giving a rat's ### about sitting/standing/kneeling/twerking during anthems needs to get off the twitter or the NewsHole or whatever and step out for some fresh air.
I went to the Saints/Skins game with a friend and her husband. She's a self-described Liberal. She sat purposefully for the Anthem. FYI I'm the kind of guy who stands, sings, the whole bit, always have been. Anyway my friend had zero problems. No one gave her any problem, I mean the people standing around us, and honestly that's how it's always been. I'm old enough to remember when people sitting, walking, getting beer, talking, etc., during the anthem wasn't noticed. And for the first time I can remember others in the crowd were singing, not just me the eccentric nut.

Last edited by a moderator:
The better question is why Trump has attacked Lynch, Kapernick, Hill, Ball, and Steph Curry but NOT Popovich, Steve Kerr and Stan Van Gundy.

Or I guess the better argument, since the answer to the question is fairly obvious to anyone whose head isn't so far up their ### they can see out their belly button.
That was graphic.  You sound like you have experience with that

I went to the Saints/Skins game with a friend and her husband. She's a self-described Liberal. She sat purposefully for the Anthem. FYI I'm the kind of guy who stands, sings, the whole bit, always have been. Anyway my friend had zero problems. No one gave her any problem, I mean the people standing around us, and honestly that's how it's always been. I'm old enough to remember when people sitting, walking, getting beer, talking, etc., during the anthem wasn't noticed. And for the first time I can remember others in the crowd were singing, not just me the eccentric nut.
I don't know.  Seems like the anthem hat police have been around for a long time.  Pretty sure we had a big thread on it here about 15 years ago.  

I don't know.  Seems like the anthem hat police have been around for a long time.  Pretty sure we had a big thread on it here about 15 years ago.  
The only times I ever saw stories about it in the past is if the people sitting looked like foreigners.  Other than that most people just kept to themselves.

:yes:

Ted Lieu‏ @tedlieu 2h2 hours ago

What makes America great is that Marshawn Lynch and the free people of America don't have to listen

to @realDonaldTrump. We can stand, sit, kneel, dance or read the US Constitution during our national anthem.

The only times I ever saw stories about it in the past is if the people sitting looked like foreigners.  Other than that most people just kept to themselves.
I've definitely heard people shout "take your hat off!" during the anthem.  Which is, ironically, also disrespecting the anthem.

My position for well over a decade is that someone's feelings about the flag or the country are deeply personal and not really my business to judge.  But I've often felt in the minority in that position.  

Last October (pre-Trump win), some dip#### Dodgers fan hassled me for not removing my hat ... while I was standing ... during God Bless America.

Claiming holier-than-thou patriotism through empty gestures is nothing new.

Last October (pre-Trump win), some dip#### Dodgers fan hassled me for not removing my hat ... while I was standing ... during God Bless America.

Ugh. I can't stand the God Bless America BS at sporting events. Let's bring in religiously biased faux patriotism into the fold why don't we.

And I do recognize that much of that was due to 9-11... it's the the wrong answer to how we should come together as a people. I am in solidarity not of Americans who believe in God nor Americans who pledge some allegiance to a symbol - I simply stand in allegiance with my fellow American, period. More so those who will fight for true equality and freedom, not the cowardly appearance of patriotism that amounts to little more than false bluster.

Ugh. I can't stand the God Bless America BS at sporting events. Let's bring in religiously biased faux patriotism into the fold why don't we.

And I do recognize that much of that was due to 9-11... it's the the wrong answer to how we should come together as a people. I am in solidarity not of Americans who believe in God nor Americans who pledge some allegiance to a symbol - I simply stand in allegiance with my fellow American, period. More so those who will fight for true equality and freedom, not the cowardly appearance of patriotism that amounts to little more than false bluster.
This is quite ironic given the point of over 100 pages that this thread is supposedly about.

Are there any requirements to remove hats and stand at attention for God Bless America?  I know it's suggested that we do and I would but I don't know of any protocol we're suppose to follow.

I don't get the Lynch thing.  He only wants to protest police treatment of minorities in America?  Mexico has a bigger problem with police brutality than we do.  I don't understand what his point was. 

Seems like the anthem hat police have been around for a long time.  Pretty sure we had a big thread on it here about 15 years ago.  
There was a thread about it. I specifically remember somebody saying that if he saw somebody fail to remove his hat during the Anthem, he would punch them. Like, physically. He sounded serious.

Max Power said:
I don't get the Lynch thing.  He only wants to protest police treatment of minorities in America?  Mexico has a bigger problem with police brutality than we do.  I don't understand what his point was. 
I have a feeling Marshawn Lynch isn't really an expert on foreign police forces and their treatment of black people.

TobiasFunke said:

This doesn’t surprise me

Hawkeye21 said:
Are there any requirements to remove hats and stand at attention for God Bless America?  I know it's suggested that we do and I would but I don't know of any protocol we're suppose to follow.
Beats me. I don’t even think they suggested people remove hats, I think they just asked people to rise. 

The whole thing is pretty dumb.  It started as a nice gesture immediately after 9/11, but now it’s just a waste of time that lengthens an already too-long game.  And of course nobody wants to be the one to take action and incur the temporary wrath of the snowflake religious nationalists.  Maybe they should announce they’re getting rid of it the day the Starbucks holiday cups come out since they know they’re bound to get super-outraged by that.

Beats me. I don’t even think they suggested people remove hats, I think they just asked people to rise. 

The whole thing is pretty dumb.  It started as a nice gesture immediately after 9/11, but now it’s just a waste of time that lengthens an already too-long game.  And of course nobody wants to be the one to take action and incur the temporary wrath of the snowflake religious nationalists.  Maybe they should announce they’re getting rid of it the day the Starbucks holiday cups come out since they know they’re bound to get super-outraged by that.
People get outraged by starbucks holiday cups? Why? 

:lmao:

For a guy that is always offended by something someone is doing you sure don't mind attacking other groups of people.  Good work, as always

I have a feeling Marshawn Lynch isn't really an expert on foreign police forces and their treatment of black people.
The reason people don`t care is that Lynch has zero respect from the fans about any of his viewpoints. "I am just here so I won`t get fined" comes across plain ignorant.

Kap sat and then spoke about why he sat and the fact that people responded the way they have in both support and anger shows he voice was heard.

Nobody cares about what Lynch does..he is a non-story. Plus the fact that he is now a fading talent does not help his cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
Max Power said:
He doesn’t have a point.  Have you heard him speak?  He’s as dumb as a rock.

What about listening to him speak, exactly?  Does he say things that are incorrect or ignorant?
Both.  Although it’s hard to separate humor from seriousness.   People can form their own opinions.

I can post some interviews and we can analyze them if you like.

Both.  Although it’s hard to separate humor from seriousness.   People can form their own opinions.

I can post some interviews and we can analyze them if you like.
I was just curious as to the basis of your opinion, considering it conflicted with what I know about the man.

Sure is odd how the people who cry out "snowflakes" are the ones who get all riled up about stupid chit so easily. 
Funny.  Quick search of the board shows the last people to use snowflakes are you (this post), culdeus, Bucky86, Koya, Doug B, Bucky86 again, James Daulton, Tobias, Tobias, Dickies, Tobias, and Bucky86.  That covers the last month.  Looks like Bucky and Tobias need to learn to chill, right?

There was a thread about it. I specifically remember somebody saying that if he saw somebody fail to remove his hat during the Anthem, he would punch them. Like, physically. He sounded serious.
Yes, we have at least one otherwise fairly liberal poster here who is pretty adamant that anything less than a quiet, respectful posture during the anthem is a slap in the face of our servicemen and women and is enraged by anything less. 

Personally, I don't think the anthem belongs to our military personnel. And I'd really like all the ####### flag waving in this country to just stop.

Yes, we have at least one otherwise fairly liberal poster here who is pretty adamant that anything less than a quiet, respectful posture during the anthem is a slap in the face of our servicemen and women and is enraged by anything less. 

Personally, I don't think the anthem belongs to our military personnel. And I'd really like all the ####### flag waving in this country to just stop.
Yeah, I don't think you get to decide who can wave their flag and when they do it.

Listening to him speak.
https://www.thesportster.com/entertainment/top-15-athletes-you-wouldnt-expect-to-be-geniuses/

While Marshawn Lynch’s vocabulary during Super Bowl media appearances may be misleading, the man is actually an intelligent and savvy individual. Lynch used his widely publicized interviews to help launch his BeastMode clothing line, which was in full view while he doled out his canned responses. Demand for these items was so extraordinary that all of his men’s apparel is currently on back order, proving the stunt was an overwhelming success. In a recent interview, Marshawn discussed his intention to return to the University of California: Berkeley to complete his degree in social welfare. Lynch said that he plans to use this knowledge to further his Fam First Foundation to assist youth in the Bay Area.

Funny.  Quick search of the board shows the last people to use snowflakes are you (this post), culdeus, Bucky86, Koya, Doug B, Bucky86 again, James Daulton, Tobias, Tobias, Dickies, Tobias, and Bucky86.  That covers the last month.  Looks like Bucky and Tobias need to learn to chill, right?
:lol:

:yes:

Ted Lieu‏ @tedlieu 2h2 hours ago

What makes America great is that Marshawn Lynch and the free people of America don't have to listen

to @realDonaldTrump. We can stand, sit, kneel, dance or read the US Constitution during our national anthem.
Disagree with your friend here. I think what makes us great is that we can join our President in calling out Lynch as a lousy SOB.  

Users who are viewing this thread