What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (5 Viewers)

From Peter King today...

5. I think I do not mean to be cruel, but this is the truth: Brock Osweiler has gotten two offensive coordinators (George Godsey, Mike McCoy) fired from two teams (Houston, Denver) in consecutive seasons. Also:

• Osweiler has played so poorly in Houston that he had to be traded to Cleveland along with a second-round pick so the Browns would take him. He played so poorly in training camp in Cleveland that the Browns, desperate for a placeholder quarterback, fired him anyway. He played so poorly in Denver in relief of Trevor Siemian that he was demoted the other day from number one to number three quarterback.

Osweiler is employed in the NFL today. Colin Kaepernick is not. It helps explain why so many people are rooting hard for Kaepernick’s longshot collusion case against the NFL.
Anybody can cherry pick somebody like osweiler, but it makes no sense. Brock was brought in for minimum salary to be a backup. He knew the offense. He can help the younger guys in study. Isnt lynch 6'7" also? 

Remember when case keenum was considered an example for this. People acted like it was a no brainer that he was better. Remember when people gave bruce arians crap about not signing him? Remember the brett hundley talk? Those decisions arent all so crystal clear anymore in kaep's favor.

It also really makes zero sense once he filed a grievance against the whole darn league. Everything after that point is irrelevant. I dont think anybody is going to talk to him until that goes away. Imagine how annoying that would be. Bring him in for a tryout and pass on him or sign him and then the next day get discovery requests asking for all emails between you and other teams.

I didn't get this gist (that he was their guest). If that is indeed the case, I totally take back what I've said on this one.
Tyler Chancellor says he was invited to sit with his coworkers in the VIP section of the Camp Jordan arena Saturday. On Monday, he said his employer fired him because he sat during the National Anthem.

She said because you sat down, you were a part of a 9Round event, and you sat during the national anthem," Chancellor said. "We no longer want to continue business with you. There was no sugar coating.

Collinsworth said last night that even if Rogers was healthy he didn't know if he would have played any better than Hundley did. 

Anybody can cherry pick somebody like osweiler, but it makes no sense. Brock was brought in for minimum salary to be a backup. He knew the offense. He can help the younger guys in study. Isnt lynch 6'7" also? 

Remember when case keenum was considered an example for this. People acted like it was a no brainer that he was better. Remember when people gave bruce arians crap about not signing him? Remember the brett hundley talk? Those decisions arent all so crystal clear anymore in kaep's favor.

It also really makes zero sense once he filed a grievance against the whole darn league. Everything after that point is irrelevant. I dont think anybody is going to talk to him until that goes away. Imagine how annoying that would be. Bring him in for a tryout and pass on him or sign him and then the next day get discovery requests asking for all emails between you and other teams.
Knew the offense?  He played under a different HC and OC in Denver. On what planet was he a better QB than Kaep?  In any stat you want to use, tell me how a guy who flamed out magnificently with Houston first and then the worst team in professional football history second was more deserving of an NFL job than a guy who took his team to the brink of a Super Bowl victory and was damn close to taking his team to another SB?  Because he is 6'7"?  

How does Osweiler have a job and Kaep not?  Oh, right....he kneeled. THE HORROR!

Knew the offense?  He played under a different HC and OC in Denver. On what planet was he a better QB than Kaep?  In any stat you want to use, tell me how a guy who flamed out magnificently with Houston first and then the worst team in professional football history second was more deserving of an NFL job than a guy who took his team to the brink of a Super Bowl victory and was damn close to taking his team to another SB?  Because he is 6'7"?  

How does Osweiler have a job and Kaep not?  Oh, right....he kneeled. THE HORROR!
CJ Anderson when he resigned with Denver 9-4-17.

He was drafted into this system, got to play in it. He's super smart. So, I'm all the way in on the decision.

CJ Anderson when he resigned with Denver 9-4-17.
And how did that decision work out, CJ?  It was an abject failure.  Brock has been a miserable QB for 2 seasons now and yet, he still has a job. 

And if we're going to punish players for stupid comments made by wives/SOs, why does Brent Grimes have a job?

It's asinine that Osweiler has a job in this league while Kaep does not.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted that quote to backup my comment that he knew the offense. I think CJ Anderson probably at least knew the offense on Sept. 4th. Or do you disagree with that? 
I'd argue that nobody knows their offense which is why they fired their OC and have no idea what to do at QB.  

It's why Kaep has taken the fight to the courts and why writers like Peter King continue to tout the injustice of it all.  It's complete horsecrap that Osweiler gets to work in the NFL and Kaep doesn't.  

And how did that decision work out, CJ?  It was an abject failure.  Brock has been a miserable QB for 2 seasons now and yet, he still has a job. 

And if we're going to punish players for stupid comments made by wives/SOs, why does Brent Grimes have a job?

It's asinine that Osweiler has a job in this league while Kaep does not.  
I'm not claiming Osweiler is the next Dan Marino but dude was 8-6 last year as a QB.  You have a strange definition of abject failure.  Kaep was like 1-10 last year and won just 3 of his last 19 starts.  

I'd argue that nobody knows their offense which is why they fired their OC and have no idea what to do at QB.  

It's why Kaep has taken the fight to the courts and why writers like Peter King continue to tout the injustice of it all.  It's complete horsecrap that Osweiler gets to work in the NFL and Kaep doesn't.  
No, it's politics.

If you want to play false equivalence games and bring up Grimes then explain why Kaep is blackballed for kneeling but Malcolm Jenkins, Kenny Stills, Eric Reid, and others that kneel are still playing.

No, it's politics.

If you want to play false equivalence games and bring up Grimes then explain why Kaep is blackballed for kneeling but Malcolm Jenkins, Kenny Stills, Eric Reid, and others that kneel are still playing.
I didn't bring up a girlfriend at all, another poster did.  There are other players in the NFL with wives who are outspoken.  That's not a good reason to keep Kaep out.  

Kaep was the first not to stand.  Maybe that is his problem. It's not because he can't play in this league.  He can.  If  Osweiler can continue to find employment, then so should Kaep. He's better.  He's not a druggie, not a criminal, not a wife beater.   He exercised his freedom of speech and is blackballed because of it.  Take it up with Peter King who gets paid to write about the NFL.  He agrees this is B.S.  I merely copy/pasted what he wrote today. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't bring up a girlfriend at all, another poster did.  There are other players in the NFL with wives who are outspoken.  That's not a good reason to keep Kaep out.  

Kaep was the first not to stand.  Maybe that is his problem. It's not because he can't play in this league.  He can.  If  Osweiler can continue to find employment, then so should Kaep. He's better.  He's not a druggie, not a criminal, not a wife beater.   He exercised his freedom of speech and is blackballed because of it.  Take it up with Peter King who gets paid to write about the NFL.  He agrees this is B.S.  I merely copy/pasted what he wrote today. 
I'm sure King has source confirming his "opinion" especially during a pending collusion case.  Makes sense.

Remember when peter king said word was kaep may not even want to play football anymore and be a full time activist?

The argument is already over when you have to cherry pick brock osweiler. A guy that was signed for the minimum to go to a place that he knew the system and lots of the players and got his starts long after kaep had filed his grievance.

Good job peter king.

The argument is already over when you have to cherry pick brock osweiler. A guy that was signed for the minimum to go to a place that he knew the system and lots of the players and got his starts long after kaep had filed his grievance.

Good job peter king.
He got his OC fired.  2nd one in 2 seasons.  But sure, Peter King is "cherry picking" when he points this out while a much better QB can't find work because he didn't stand for the anthem.  

He got his OC fired.  2nd one in 2 seasons.  But sure, Peter King is "cherry picking" when he points this out while a much better QB can't find work because he didn't stand for the anthem.  
You forgot that he got in a fight with somebody on his own team while at practice, that he trolled cops, that he trolled cubans while in miami, that he may not even really want to play, and that his girlfriend trolled an owner. All the while being a media circus. 

Yeah. Definitely should brush all that aside to sign him as your third string qb instead of a guy that helped your organization win a super bowl.

Your keenum argument earlier in this thread is actually better than this. 

Yes. Trolling. That is exactly what you would call it if i went into a political thread and started defending castro and changed my profile pic to castro. 
Except contrary to your false assertion, Kaepernick did not "troll Cubans while in Miami" unless you consider playing in Miami trolling them, which being a member of the 49ers he had no control over.

The Malcolm X/Castro t-shirt was worn by Kaep, only once publically, in August 2016. When the 49ers played the Dolphins the following November he was booed on the field by the fans because of the t-shirt and then grilled by some of the Miami press about it. But he did not wear the t-shirt with the intent specifically to antagonize or troll the Cubans in Miami.

Except contrary to your false assertion, Kaepernick did not "troll Cubans while in Miami" unless you consider playing in Miami trolling them, which being a member of the 49ers he had no control over.

The Malcolm X/Castro t-shirt was worn by Kaep, only once publically, in August 2016. When the 49ers played the Dolphins the following November he was booed on the field by the fans because of the t-shirt and then grilled by some of the Miami press about it. But he did not wear the t-shirt with the intent specifically to antagonize or troll the Cubans in Miami.
 That is exactly what you would call it if i went into a political thread and started defending castro and changed my profile pic to castro.
How do you think he answered those questions in Miami?

squistion said:
This is how he answered them with reporters in a pre-game conference call (he also spoke after the game which I alluded to earlier).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2677957-colin-kaepernick-praises-fidel-castro-comments-on-support-of-malcolm-x

Kaepernick told reporters he was "not talking about Fidel Castro and his oppression" and added he was instead "talking about Malcolm X and what he’s done for people." 
So he didnt say this 

"One thing that Fidel Castro did do is they [Cuba] have the highest literacy rate because they invest more in their education system than in our prison system which we do not do here [in the United States],” 

Right after saying the part you quoted? I am not talking about castro, well except for when i talk about castro.

So he didnt say this 

"One thing that Fidel Castro did do is they [Cuba] have the highest literacy rate because they invest more in their education system than in our prison system which we do not do here [in the United States],” 

Right after saying the part you quoted? I am not talking about castro, well except for when i talk about castro.
Yes, he did say that because he was asked by reporters to explain why he wore the Malcom X/Castro t-shirt.

Yes, he did say that because he was asked by reporters to explain why he wore the Malcom X/Castro t-shirt.
So now we are back full circle to where he defended castro, in miami.

So you either didnt actually read all of his comments or you were trying to fabricate a tale. Which one?

So now we are back full circle to where he defended castro, in miami.

So you either didnt actually read all of his comments or you were trying to fabricate a tale. Which one?
Reporters asked him why he wore the t-shirt that depicted Malcom X and Castro (among others) on one occasion in August. In his answer he gave his opinion about Castro (I don't agree with his take on that, but giving an explanation as to why he wore the shirt was not trolling the Cubans, unless you think he should have refused to answer all questions about it).

It amazes me that you still don't have an understanding of your favorite term.
While your point may be true, it is a fine use of the word here. Had Kaepernick not made the odd comments afterwards and just wore the socks, then no. But when you attempt to say that you are wearing them in part because of the bad cops putting the good cops in danger, I think it is pretty obvious.

That is one of the points, but they are also unhappy that it appears to be money that would be controlled by a group they dont have a say in. 
The NFL isn’t going to hand the players $100M to invest in whatever they like.  It still has the NFL name attached to it.  That would be a PR nightmare.

I guess I should have phrased my thoughts better.  Some players took a knee in protest and to raise social awareness of the issue.  The NFL comes back with a plan to offer the largest financial commitment it has ever made to a cause.  I think this has to be a big win in their book.  Yet they are talking about being unhappy and it may still lead to continued kneeling/protesting.  I think they lose a lot of sympathy if they continue. 

The NFL isn’t going to hand the players $100M to invest in whatever they like.  It still has the NFL name attached to it.  That would be a PR nightmare.
I think you misunderstood me. I meant players like reid and thomas are upset that they wouldnt have a say in it, not the NFl. 

I guess I should have phrased my thoughts better.  Some players took a knee in protest and to raise social awareness of the issue.  The NFL comes back with a plan to offer the largest financial commitment it has ever made to a cause.  I think this has to be a big win in their book.  Yet they are talking about being unhappy and it may still lead to continued kneeling/protesting.  I think they lose a lot of sympathy if they continue. 
So money from the league equals everything is ok?

You realize they were not protesting league charity, right?

So money from the league equals everything is ok?

You realize they were not protesting league charity, right?
They are protesting police brutality at an NFL game (which in and of itself sounds pretty stupid in the first place).  You realize the NFL cannot stop police brutality, right?  The NFL has graciously offered a lot of money to assist with organizations that directly relate to the protest.  Who said everything was ok?  What more can the NFL do?  Players who are not happy with the NFL's response are ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread