What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (4 Viewers)

Los Angeles Times‏ @latimes 36m36 minutes ago

Colin Kaepernick was honored tonight at the ACLU Bill of Rights Dinner in Beverly Hills. He received the Eason Monroe Courageous Advocate Award. Watch his full acceptance speech: 

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-colin-kaepernick-20171203-story.html
Just as I predicted.    Kaeps life as a martyr is going to be much better than a run of mill starter or backup NFL QB. No need to ever play football again.

ACLU SoCal‏ @ACLU_SoCal 10

Our Bill of Rights honoree @Kaepernick7:

"We all have an obligation no matter the risk, and regardless of reward, to stand up for our fellow men and women who are being oppressed with the understanding that human rights cannot be comprised." 

https://twitter.com/ACLU_SoCal/status/937538063562969088
"We all have an obligation no matter the risk, and regardless of reward, to stand up for our fellow men and women who served in the military with the understanding that dying for one's country cannot be replaced by a political agenda"

Twitter Groot

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel Dale‏ @ddale8 18h

America's most famous critics of the American justice system are Colin Kaepernick and Donald Trump, right?

Da Guru said:
Just as I predicted.    Kaeps life as a martyr is going to be much better than a run of mill starter or backup NFL QB. No need to ever play football again.
I have no idea which is more rewarding for him, but from a financial perspective it’s hard to beat NFL QB (starter or backup).

I have no idea which is more rewarding for him, but from a financial perspective it’s hard to beat NFL QB (starter or backup).
If he never plays another down in the NFL, he will probably be able to make a good living in speaking fees for the rest of his life. However, that won't be close to the $5-6 million a year he could make as a backup or the $12-15 million as a starter.

If he never plays another down in the NFL, he will probably be able to make a good living in speaking fees for the rest of his life. However, that won't be close to the $5-6 million a year he could make as a backup or the $12-15 million as a starter.
He doesn’t seem all that comfortable speaking publicly.  Not in a speech format anyway. From what I can tell he prefers working behind the scenes.

That could change with coaching and practice though.

He doesn’t seem all that comfortable speaking publicly.  Not in a speech format anyway. From what I can tell he prefers working behind the scenes.

That could change with coaching and practice though.
You are right there as despite playing the most visible position in the NFL he has been described as being somewhat shy and introverted. I don't think he has given any interviews in 2017, his public comments have been in the form of Tweets and his appearances at events have not been announced ahead of time (like at the Un-Thanksgiving day for Native Americans on Alcatraz Island).

However rather than speaking at Berkeley or other college campuses, he could go around the country speaking exclusively to a lot BLM and African American groups and that could be somewhat lucrative (Ann Coulter would be analogous as she does speak to a lot of private conservative groups at dinners and the like, besides her high profile speaking gigs).

You are right there as despite playing the most visible position in the NFL he has been described as being somewhat shy and introverted. I don't think he has given any interviews in 2017, his public comments have been in the form of Tweets and his appearances at events have not been announced ahead of time (like at the Un-Thanksgiving day for Native Americans on Alcatraz Island).

However rather than speaking at Berkeley or other college campuses, he could go around the country speaking exclusively to a lot BLM and African American groups and that could be somewhat lucrative (Ann Coulter would be analogous as she does speak to a lot of private conservative groups at dinners and the like, besides her high profile speaking gigs).
He should have also stockpiled a fair amount of money from his last contract.  He doesn’t seem like the type to blow it on stupid things.  He probably never has to work again if he doesn’t want to.

I don’t know what his aspirations are now.  The SJW thing seems to have been relatively new, prompted by his girlfriend, and so fast moving he really didn’t really have much of a say once it got rolling. 

I have no idea what he would have chosen had he could have done it over.  I doubt many do.

He should have also stockpiled a fair amount of money from his last contract.  He doesn’t seem like the type to blow it on stupid things.  He probably never has to work again if he doesn’t want to.

I don’t know what his aspirations are now.  The SJW thing seems to have been relatively new, prompted by his girlfriend, and so fast moving he really didn’t really have much of a say once it got rolling. 

I have no idea what he would have chosen had he could have done it over.  I doubt many do.
I posted earlier in the thread that his activism started way before he met Nessa Diab, going back to his days at UNR, participating in African American student groups and joining a fraternity that was predominately if not exclusively comprised of black members.

I agree his protest was not well thought out in advance, as he never advocated specific goals he wanted to achieve (which Tim has brought up on several occasions). It may be that he naively thought that it wouldn't get much, if any, attention and he did go a couple of preseason games before the press picked up on it. Similarly, Marshawn Lynch claims he hasn't stood for the anthem for years and no one noticed, but those who have looked can't find video documentation to back up his claims and the few clips that have surfaced have shown him standing.

He seems to have saved most of NFL earnings, at least enough so to donate $1 million in charity. I think even with that he is financially set for life, but we will see.

Would he do it over again? I think so, as he has brought more attention to the issue of some LEO's shooting unarmed black men and racial inequality than would have been achieved with press conferences or organizing/participating in BLM type rallies and protests.

That said, his activism has, in all probability, ended his NFL career. I think he is too toxic now for just about any team to take on the inevitable media circus that would result from his signing. Perhaps things will cool down in 2018, so this will fade somewhat from public consciousness and he gets another shot on some team (particularly if the NFL changes the rules and requires teams to remain in the locker room until after the anthem is played).

https://rotoden.com/2017/12/02/houston-texans-missed-colin-kaepernick/

Colin Kaepernick could have helped the Texans

By James Mastrucci, Head of Cleveland Sports

[...]

If the Texans would have signed Kaepernick, they would have been able to compete this year instead of essentially mailing it in. The offense would not revert to the pre-Watson style. Instead it could have allowed the team to continue playing in the same offense with a similar quarterback in Kaepernick. Kaepernick would be able to thrive in this offense which would allow the team to get ready for Watson’s return next season. More experience running these plays would only increase their effectiveness.

Of course it is worth mentioning the possibility that Watson’s recovery does not go as planned. Even though his progress is reportedly going well, there is always the possibility of a setback. If a setback were to occur, having a player in Kaepernick would allow the Texans to continue running the same offense. Consistency from year to year is essential in the NFL and Kaepernick would provide that this year and next if needed.

Preparation in the NFL is key, without it a team ends up playing an inadequate quarterback and falling out of the playoff picture. Bringing in Kaepernick would have preserved the season and kept the playoff hopes alive. It would also provide a fallback plan if Watson is not ready to come back next season. Houston is truly the only situation that would work for Kaepernick. They run an offense where Kaepernick could make plays and lead the team to wins.

The fact of the matter is that the Texans truly blew it. Deciding to go back to Savage has ended their season. Kaepernick would be able to at least keep the team competitive and alive in the playoffs. Instead the Texans did not sign Kaepernick and the team will finish with a losing record. Instability at the quarterback position remains and the team has given up. Kaepernick would be able to keep the team entertaining and fans engaged. Instead sub-par quarterback play remains in Houston as they finish the season on a down note
365 and 1 for Savage sunday

Good news: It was his first ever 300+ passing yards day.

Bad news: They lost and for the second week in a row he threw an interception on what would have been the game winning drive.
So him and Kap both lose games, but Savage at least has them in position to win at the end

So him and Kap both lose games, but Savage at least has them in position to win at the end
Four of the 49ers losses last year were within one score. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KaepCo00/gamelog/2016/

Last game of the season they played Seattle. At 8:04 left in the 4th quarter, Kaep started at Seattle 35 and drove the team the length of the field throwing a TD to Garrett Celek with 5:51 remaining, bringing the score to 25-23 in favor of Seattle.

Seattle took over with 5:37 remaining and the 49ers never got the ball back, so you can't blame that on Kaep. Embarrassingly, the 49ers defense couldn't stop Trevone Boykin (who was subbing for Russell Wilson) from running out the clock. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201701010sfo.htm#all_pbp

Four of the 49ers losses last year were within one score. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KaepCo00/gamelog/2016/

Last game of the season they played Seattle. At 8:04 left in the 4th quarter, Kaep started at Seattle 35 and drove the team the length of the field throwing a TD to Garrett Celek with 5:51 remaining, bringing the score to 25-23 in favor of Seattle.

Seattle took over with 5:37 remaining and the 49ers never got the ball back, so you can't blame that on Kaep. Embarrassingly, the 49ers defense couldn't stop Trevone Boykin (who was subbing for Russell Wilson) from running out the clock. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201701010sfo.htm#all_pbp
So more than half were more than one score

So more than half were more than one score
Yes, but your point was that he unlike Savage he never had them is position to win a game at the end. Also does anyone seriously believe that the 2016 49ers were as good a team on either side of the ball as the 2017 Texans? Even Gabbert has looked better in AZ this year than for his starts for SFO.

Yes, but your point was that he unlike Savage he never had them is position to win a game at the end. Also does anyone seriously believe that the 2016 49ers were as good a team on either side of the ball as the 2017 Texans? Even Gabbert has looked better in AZ this year than for his starts for SFO.
:lmao:  "never"

It's not that difficult of a concept:   Pig Socks > Kevin Hogan > Pig Socks with Baggage.    Congratulations Kevin Hogan, you're the third string quarterback for the Cleveland Browns!

He is the only quarterback who isn't in the NFL to still have his thread bumped here on FootballGuys!

More pages than the Alex Smith thread too!

He is the only quarterback who isn't in the NFL to still have his thread bumped here on FootballGuys!

More pages than the Alex Smith thread too!
I know, it a bizarre obsession he has isn't it? Almost sexual. 

Total disgrace that JJ Watt lost to an unemployed athlete 
What JJ did was absolutely awesome and deserving of the award but if Kaepernick actually succeeds in doing what he claims he wants to do then it will be greater.  JJ helped an entire city but Kaepernick is trying to help an entire race.  I know you don't believe any of it at all and I'm sure you'll mock this comment but if people honestly believe in what Kaepernick is doing then the award makes sense.

Total disgrace that JJ Watt lost to an unemployed athlete 
:mellow:

Um, you are aware that SI named Watt the 2017 Sportsperson of the Year along with Jose Altuve? That is their top award.

https://www.si.com/sportsperson/2017/12/05/si-sportsperson-year-2017-jj-watt-jose-altuve

Kaepernick was given a lesser award from the same people, the Muhammad Ali Legacy Award. which is an award which celebrates athletes who use their platform to bring about social change. http://time.com/5051685/beyonce-colin-kaepernick-muhammad-ali-legacy-award/

If you think that Watt was more deserving of the Muhammad Ali Legacy Award than Kaepernick, please explain your reasoning as while raising multi millions in charity for Hurricane victims is admirable and helps people, it is not using a platform to bring about any social change.

What JJ did was absolutely awesome and deserving of the award but if Kaepernick actually succeeds in doing what he claims he wants to do then it will be greater.  JJ helped an entire city but Kaepernick is trying to help an entire race.  I know you don't believe any of it at all and I'm sure you'll mock this comment but if people honestly believe in what Kaepernick is doing then the award makes sense.
We should probably wait for them to accomplish something before handing out awards for it, imo.

We should probably wait for them to accomplish something before handing out awards for it, imo.
Is trying to accomplish something not commendable?  Not all people we honor we successful in what they did but we commemorate what they stood for and tried to accomplish.  I don't see what's so terrible about what Kaepernick is doing.

Is trying to accomplish something not commendable?  Not all people we honor we successful in what they did but we commemorate what they stood for and tried to accomplish.  I don't see what's so terrible about what Kaepernick is doing.
Not if you're going to compare it to what JJ already accomplished, no.

Users who are viewing this thread