Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
squistion

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news

12 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Knight sounded great..for 75 years of age she still has it.

Levine was better than I thought he would be...

Gladys was great...Levine sounded terrible.  That halftime show was awful...the best thing about it was Big Boi's coat.

9 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Gladys was great...Levine sounded terrible.  That halftime show was awful...the best thing about it was Big Boi's coat.

And Caddy...

• Like 1

Cardi B says she would have performed at the Super Bowl if the NFL had rehired Colin Kaepernick.

"He's standing up for minorities and, it's like, if we don't support who's standing up for us, then, it's like, who's going to support us? And they need to understand why."

Via ABC

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1092452784388091904 (video clip at link)

16 minutes ago, squistion said:

Cardi B says she would have performed at the Super Bowl if the NFL had rehired Colin Kaepernick.

"He's standing up for minorities and, it's like, if we don't support who's standing up for us, then, it's like, who's going to support us? And they need to understand why."

Via ABC

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1092452784388091904 (video clip at link)

Oh yeah, she really took a stand this weekend...

She's a hypocrite. 

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:44 AM, squistion said:

Yes, just a coincidence I'm sure... :coffee:

https://www.rt.com/sport/450415-kaepernick-mural-demolished-atlanta-super-bowl/

Kaepernick mural gets the boot in Atlanta ahead of Super Bowl (VIDEO)

A mural featuring NFL anthem protestor Colin Kaepernick has been demolished in Atlanta just days before the New England Patriots and Los Angeles Rams meet in Super Bowl LIII in the city.

David Dennis Jr.‏ @DavidDTSS 21h21 hours ago

Over the weekend an iconic @Kaepernick7 mural was mysteriously torn down in Atlanta near where the Super Bowl will be played. Today they are painting 7 more across the city. #kaeperbowl

https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/1092145716007456773 (photo of new mural at link).

#Kaeperbowl  :lmao:

Are we allowed to post tweets that make up nicknames for him?  I thought those kind of names were banned.   Anyway, this guy begging to make the Super Bowl about him is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, squistion said:

Over the weekend an iconic @Kaepernick7 mural was mysteriously torn down in Atlanta near where the Super Bowl will be played. Today they are painting 7 more across the city. #kaeperbowl

https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/1092145716007456773 (photo of new mural at link).

Nessa constant tweets bashing the NFL is destroying this guys career. Makes you wonder is she is doing it on purpose to build the martyr brand?

18 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

#Kaeperbowl  

Are we allowed to post tweets that make up nicknames for him?  I thought those kind of names were banned.   Anyway, this guy begging to make the Super Bowl about him is one of the most hilarious things I've seen in a while.

It's not a nickname for Kaepernick. It is a hashtag having to do with the phenomenon of  Kaep murals popping up all around Atlanta before the Super Bowl in response to that mural being destroyed.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23kaeperbowl&src=tyah

Edited by squistion

1 minute ago, squistion said:

I don't think it is a nickname for Kaepernick. It is a hashtag having to do with the phenomenon of  Kaep murals popping up all around Atlanta before the Super Bowl in response to that mural being destroyed.

There are hashtags like #CrapperNick and #Kraepernick out there too.   I was pretty sure somewhere in this thread we were all told not to use (or post) anything but his name.

If we combine hashtags, CrapperBowl is a good explanation of this years game.

8 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

There are hashtags like #CrapperNick and #Kraepernick out there too.   I was pretty sure somewhere in this thread we were all told not to use (or post) anything but his name.

If we combine hashtags, CrapperBowl is a good explanation of this years game.

But the hashtag is not being used as a nickname, unlike #CrapperNick. No one in that hashtag is calling him Kaeperbowl, or using it as a substitution for his name, they are simply using a shorthand to describe all the Kaep related murals that have been going up in Atlanta in response to the building with the mural being knocked down during SB week.

Edited by squistion

Just now, squistion said:

But the hashtag is not being used as a nickname, unlike #CrapperNick. No one in that hashtag is calling him Kaeperbowl, or using it as a substation for him name, they are simply using a shorthand to describe all the Kaep related murals that have been going up in Atlanta is response to the building with the mural being knocked down.

Fair enough but when I think kaeperbowl I think of that dog yesterday that too a dump during the anthem.  Just saying

5 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Fair enough but when I think kaeperbowl I think of that dog yesterday that too a dump during the anthem.  Just saying

He’s so desperate to keep talking about this washed up QB, I just don’t get it. 

2 hours ago, squistion said:

It's not a nickname for Kaepernick. It is a hashtag having to do with the phenomenon of  Kaep murals popping up all around Atlanta before the Super Bowl in response to that mural being destroyed.

Just go with Kappy..that is what Harbaugh called him.

5 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Nessa constant tweets bashing the NFL is destroying this guys career. Makes you wonder is she is doing it on purpose to build the martyr brand?

Duh

Oh amber....

Hi there while you’re enjoying this mediocre Maroon 5 halftime please remember a football legend was blacklisted from this entire sport for merely putting his knee on the ground in protest of black people being murdered. Enjoy your pop music!

Lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, squistion said:

Lord leave it to Atlanta to put up murals of another NFC team’s QB. How many Bartkowski murals are there? 

3 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Lord leave it to Atlanta to put up murals of another NFC team’s QB. How many Bartkowski murals are there? 

Just saw this mural. Sure as #### looks like a Mike Vick mural that someone put Kaep's head on at a later time. The glove on his hand is a style worn when Vick was playing and Kaep wasn't in the league yet. His arms are darker and thicker and lacking the visible tats like Kaep. The head just looks weird. 

Is any story real anymore?

• Like 1

Not only did Gladys kill the anthem but she won both sides of the Pre-game NA bettors some cash.:thumbup:

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Gladys Knight's rendition of the national anthem at the Super Bowl on Sunday caused a headache for one sports betting company after the singer extended the end of the song, the length of which had drawn intense wagering interest.

BetOnline.AG had set the length of the song, which ends with the word "brave," at one minute and 50 seconds and Knight completed singing the word at one minute and 49 seconds.

But after a pause she sang the word again and was clocked at one minute, 53 seconds.

BetOnline.ag said they would pay out both sides, losing an estimated six-figures on the bet, the company said.

Money wagered on the length of the national anthem is by far the largest pre-game proposition bet, far exceeding the coin toss and others combined, the company said.

On 2/1/2019 at 1:45 PM, tjnc09 said:

Why?  Ratings suffered for two years during the protests and finally increased again this year when they essentially stopped.  The SB average viewership last year hadn't been that low since 2009 (2010-2017 were noticeably higher).  The NFL is a business and needs to continue to separate itself from the protests.

This Superbowl had the lowest rating in about a decade.

Were the anthem protest to blame?

Was there more "support" for Kaepernick than most thought? 

Just now, Yenrub said:

This Superbowl had the lowest rating in about a decade.

Were the anthem protest to blame?

Was there more "support" for Kaepernick than most thought? 

If I was a kaepernick supporter I wouldnt be using the ratings for this super bowl as an argument in my favor. 

• Like 2

Ben Pritchett‏ @naturalslugger 16h16 hours ago

If Colin Kaepernick actually cared about being an NFL quarterback, he’d be starting this weekend for an AAF team.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 11:18 PM, Courtjester said:

Ugh..can’t believe this thread is still going....

:goodposting:

2 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Ben Pritchett‏ @naturalslugger 16h16 hours ago

If Colin Kaepernick actually cared about being an NFL quarterback, he’d be starting this weekend for an AAF team.

Surprised he is not showcasing his skills in the AAF for NFL scouts.  Would be a free audition plus he could try and knock off the rust from 2 years of not playing.

Edited by Da Guru
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

watched some of the AAF last night, I legitimately think he could start in that league 

HA! WILLIE! 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:30 PM, Da Guru said:

Surprised he is not showcasing his skills in the AAF for NFL scouts.  Would be a free audition plus he could try and knock off the rust from 2 years of not playing.

It's almost as if he doesn't want people to see where his skill level is at these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, squistion said:

https://twitter.com/ashstro/status/1095033004886577154

“Knowing what I know, my hope tank is on E”

- Eric Reed on his hopefulness that Colin Kaepernick willl have the opportunity to play in the NFL this upcoming season.

That is why Kappy needed to get out there in the AAF to show he is willing to work his way back into the NFL. The guy has not played in 2 years and needs game action, playing against lower level talent would be a plus. Everybody in that league is busting their ### to get a shot at the NFL again.  Puzzling as to why Kappy is not doing the same.

Do you think it is because you are not allowed to kneel in the AAF?

Edited by Da Guru

1 hour ago, JuniorNB said:

It's almost as if he doesn't want people to see where his skill level is at these days.

AAF would be a no win proposition for Kaep. If he is being blackballed it doesn't matter how good his skill level is, because they still will consider him toxic and it won't change anything, since IMO it is not his lack of talent (taking his team to two NFC conference games) that has kept out NFL. This is not a Luis Perez situation, where he actually has to prove he can play at the NFL level, Kaep has already done that.

Secondly if he does poorly for whatever reason, such as being rusty, poor offensive line, inadequate receiving corps or not enough time to work with them, etc., his critics will use that as confirmation that the NFL was not blackballing him, it was indeed his playing ability all long.

I see him going the AAF has as a no upside proposition, but plenty of downside for him.

38 minutes ago, squistion said:

AAF would be a no win proposition for Kaep. If he is being blackballed it doesn't matter how good his skill level is, because they still will consider him toxic and it won't change anything, since IMO it is not his lack of talent (taking his team to two NFC conference games) that has kept out NFL. This is not a Luis Perez situation, where he actually has to prove he can play at the NFL level, Kaep has already done that.

Secondly if he does poorly for whatever reason, such as being rusty, poor offensive line, inadequate receiving corps or not enough time to work with them, etc., his critics will use that as confirmation that the NFL was not blackballing him, it was indeed his playing ability all long.

I see him going the AAF has as a no upside proposition, but plenty of downside for him.

Right now most football execs remember that he led the league his last two years in off target passes and was almost last in completion % and has now been out of football for two years. 

Maybe he could help some fears. 

1 hour ago, squistion said:

How can there be more downside than not playing for 2 seasons?  Now maybe 3?

The AAF wanted him and were more than willing to give him a QB job..   Kappy goes out there and tears it up and shows a good attitude then he puts the pressure on the NFL teams to take a look at him. I thought Kappy said "Believe"  He has to believe in himself first.

Edited by Da Guru

13 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

How can there be more downside than not playing for 2 seasons?  Now maybe 3?

The AAF wanted him and were more than willing to give him a QB job..   Kappy goes out there and tears it up and shows a good attitude then he puts the pressure on the NFL teams to take a look at him. I thought Kappy said "Believe"  He has to believe in himself first.

He does and that is why he hasn't signed with the CFL, AAF or Arena League with nothing to gain and the only thing he risks tearing up would be an ACL, which could well mean for all intents and purposes the end of career (see Daunte Culpepper and RG3 who were never quite the same after their knee injuries).  

Speak For Yourself‏Verified account @SFY 3h3 hours ago

Whitlock: The Symbol formerly known as Colin Kaepernick, doesn’t care about playing football. His interest is in protecting himself as a brand. @WhitlockJason

On 2/11/2019 at 5:55 PM, squistion said:

He does and that is why he hasn't signed with the CFL, AAF or Arena League with nothing to gain and the only thing he risks tearing up would be an ACL, which could well mean for all intents and purposes the end of career (see Daunte Culpepper and RG3 who were never quite the same after their knee injuries).  

Oh come on--now you are just making excuses for this guy. An ACL?? You don't need a good ACL to make speeches, Squis.

His career is all but over now--his only hope is to get a payday from the NFL settlement to remain relevant. 

BUT and this a big BUT (assuming he actually "wants" to play in the NFL), if he goes out there and is everything you believe he is and tears up the AAF (or heck is even competent), it just bolsters his claim that he should be in the NFL and the owners colluded against him. It would also give him a bigger platform to make this point.

• Like 1

Checkmate, LIBS.

Alexander Supertramp‏ @JustMuteMeNow

FollowFollow @JustMuteMeNow

More

They guy who pulled all Nike gear from his store in Colorado Springs because of the Kaepernick ad? He is closing down his store. “...perhaps there are more [Kaepernick] supporters out there than I realized.”

https://koaa.com/news/2019/02/11/prime-time-sports-forced-to-close-after-removing-nike-apparel-from-store/

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

I have been in his store many times because I buy sports memorabilia.  The bottom line is his prices were fairly high. His location in the mall was terrible-he was located in a side area next to an area rug shop and a nail salon  that just didn’t see much foot traffic. The size of his store was huge. I can’t imagine how much rent he was paying for that space. That mall is struggling as Sears is closing now and they already lost the JcPennys and Borders years ago. 

I have never met the owner,  but if I had to guess, he did the whole Kap angle to try and get some (heck any) business to his store.

• Like 1

Los Angeles Times‏ @latimes 8m8 minutes ago

Some Republican lawmakers in Wisconsin successfully forced Milwaukee-born Colin Kaepernick’s name to be removed from a resolution honoring prominent African Americans in recognition of Black History Month.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-colin-kaepernick-wisconsin-black-history-20190213-story.html

Jamil Smith‏ @JamilSmith 2h2 hours ago

Not one Republican member of the Wisconsin Assembly is black. Yet they saw fit to tell their African American colleagues which black leaders they could honor during Black History Month, deleting Kaepernick for “obvious reasons.” They’re obvious, all right.

:unsure: 

From the same state where the boys HS class did a Nazi salute for a class prom photo.

Kaepernick has reached iconic status among African Americans. His name was removed because Republicans thought him "too controversial" to be included in a list of influential black leaders. Odd criteria, since most black leaders from a historical standpoint were considered controversial in their day.

Yeah this made the news tonight. Brilliant move by the Wisconsin GOP. 

Years ago I read, in a biography about Muhammad Ali, that in order for white America to revere a black rebel, he had to be either dead, or (in the case of Ali) his faculties so weakened that he was no longer considered a threat. Guess Colin may have to wait several more decades...

And Cleveland signed Kareem Hunt. Why not, right? It’s not like he kneeled in front of a flag. All Hunt did is beat up a woman. That’s not nearly as bad right? 

10 minutes ago, timschochet said:

And Cleveland signed Kareem Hunt. Why not, right? It’s not like he kneeled in front of a flag. All Hunt did is beat up a woman. That’s not nearly as bad right? 

Hunt is a good player.  HTH

• Like 1

13 hours ago, timschochet said:

Yeah this made the news tonight. Brilliant move by the Wisconsin GOP. 

Years ago I read, in a biography about Muhammad Ali, that in order for white America to revere a black rebel, he had to be either dead, or (in the case of Ali) his faculties so weakened that he was no longer considered a threat. Guess Colin may have to wait several more decades...

You obviously didn't watch him throw in 2016. 

45 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Flacco to Denver.  Thought Kappy would have a chance to hook up with Broncos.

Elway burned his bridges, painted himself in a corner (or whatever metaphor is appropriate) when he said of Kaepernick that “he had his opportunity here and he turned it down” by not taking a paycut and giving up $11 million guaranteed for a $3 million a year non guaranteed 3 year contract. After that statement he would probably rather sign Tebow again rather than Kaep.

Matt Harmon had my favorite reaction to the Flacco signing yesterday:

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/1095722550410108929

19 hours ago, squistion said:

Jamil Smith‏ @JamilSmith 2h2 hours ago

Not one Republican member of the Wisconsin Assembly is black. Yet they saw fit to tell their African American colleagues which black leaders they could honor during Black History Month, deleting Kaepernick for “obvious reasons.” They’re obvious, all right.

They didn't tell their black colleagues who they could honor. They are free to honor whoever they want. 

21 hours ago, Bucky86 said:

Checkmate, LIBS.

Alexander Supertramp‏ @JustMuteMeNow

The guy who pulled all Nike gear from his store in Colorado Springs because of the Kaepernick ad? He is closing down his store. “...perhaps there are more [Kaepernick] supporters out there than I realized.”

https://koaa.com/news/2019/02/11/prime-time-sports-forced-to-close-after-removing-nike-apparel-from-store/

From the Twitters:  :hophead:

Being a sports store without Nike is like being a milk store without milk.

He used the idea to kneel from a Marine to show respect. Now the store owner employees can stand in an unemployment line.

I can’t even bring myself to send thoughts and prayers.

Edited by squistion

1 hour ago, Da Guru said:

Flacco to Denver.  Thought Kappy would have a chance to hook up with Broncos.

My favorite lines from twitter:

Flacco beat Kaepernick again

People talking #### on Joe Flacco forgetting he outplayed and beat Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Colin Kaepernick in the playoffs throwing 11 td's and no picks also recording the highest QBR in Super Bowl history against a historic 49ers defense.