What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (6 Viewers)

Honest question. For someone that is so invested in pointing out police violence that you post multiple times a day in the Kaepernick thread, I noticed you had not as much interest in the thread about the police shooting in Mesa.  Why is that?
I posted this from Shaun King, on page 1 of the thread when the news first broke:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/763454-arizona-police-shooting/

squistion said:
Shaun King‏ @ShaunKing 16h16 hours ago

The Brutal Police Execution of Daniel Shaver

Sadly I've studied 100s of videos of American police executing non-violent, unarmed people. This is one of the worst I've ever witnessed.

This happened in January of 2016, but the judge just released the video.

A grave injustice.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/939014159726870530

He was one of the first posters in that thread and liked at least 4 posts, including two by Joe. Didn't you read it?
I saw that one post, but based upon his interest and respected commentary on police violence the Mesa thread would be in his wheelhouse.  Was there something different about the Mesa case?

I saw that one post, but based upon his interest and respected commentary on police violence the Mesa thread would be in his wheelhouse.  Was there something different about the Mesa case?
I am not sure what more I could have said than the bolded that was posted:

The Brutal Police Execution of Daniel Shaver

Sadly I've studied 100s of videos of American police executing non-violent, unarmed people. This is one of the worst I've ever witnessed.

This happened in January of 2016, but the judge just released the video.

A grave injustice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. Everybody didnt argue with him in that thread and not that many people he follows on twitter tweeted about it weekly. 

Eric Phillips‏ @EricFPhillips 6m

.@Kaepernick7 visited young adults at Rikers Island this morning. Spent two hours w/ a group of young men & their mentors. No cameras. No promotion. He’s just helping turn around lives many people have given up on. He’s the real deal.

Eric Phillips‏ @EricFPhillips 6m

.@Kaepernick7 visited young adults at Rikers Island this morning. Spent two hours w/ a group of young men & their mentors. No cameras. No promotion. He’s just helping turn around lives many people have given up on. He’s the real deal.
I commend his efforts. I really do.

He still is a below average QB and his NFL days are over. Now he can use his wealth to further his social causes or whatever his heart desires. He lived the dream, made a fortune and awesome for him.

Good for him. And he can go get a job like the rest of us if he pleases. There comes a day when athletes are told they can't play anymore. All of them are all told this at some point. His day came sooner than maybe it should have. But he brought that upon himself. And he did it for a cause he felt was worthwhile and important. 

He made his bed. Now he is sleeping in it. I did not agree with his method of kneeling. But again, full respect for it. But playing in the NFL is not a right. It is a privilege. It is a business. He is bad for business in the NFL.

Done.

New Orleans Saints fan suing team over national anthem protests

A New Orleans Saints season-ticket holder is suing the team because some of the players took a knee during the national anthem.

Lee Dragna said that actions of some players, who are taking a knee to raise awareness for police brutality and racial inequality, prevented he and his family from enjoying Saints games at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Dragna filed his lawsuit at the 24th Judicial Court in Jefferson Parish and he's seeking a refund for his season tickets and attorney's fees.

New Orleans Saints fan suing team over national anthem protests

A New Orleans Saints season-ticket holder is suing the team because some of the players took a knee during the national anthem.

Lee Dragna said that actions of some players, who are taking a knee to raise awareness for police brutality and racial inequality, prevented he and his family from enjoying Saints games at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Dragna filed his lawsuit at the 24th Judicial Court in Jefferson Parish and he's seeking a refund for his season tickets and attorney's fees.
Mark Ingram II‏ @MarkIngram22 21h21 hours ago

The one time we protested an anthem was an away game. After a team meeting we decided to kneel as one BEFORE the anthem was played and STAND united as one DURING the anthem! Good luck dude

https://twitter.com/MarkIngram22/status/940735958366019584

Getting into the holiday spirit...

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2017/12/police-union-decides-to-cancel-christmas-because-colin-kaepernick-visited-inmates-at-rikers-island/

Police Union Decides to Cancel Christmas Because Colin Kaepernick Visited Inmates at Rikers Island

Rikers Island inmates are losing Christmas over backlash from a visit by Colin Kaepernick.

Kaepernick, who visited to discuss police brutality and offer encouragement to inmates, presence was an unwanted sight for the Correction Officers Benevolent Association.  Several factors played a role into their disdain for Kaepernick’s Tuesday visit. Regardless, The New York Daily News details why Union officials canceled a scheduled Christmas tree lighting celebration for inmates.

“This will only encourage inmates to continue to attack Correction Officers at a time when we need more protection,” said Elias Husamudeen, president of the Correction Officers Benevolent Association.

The tree lighting ceremony is being held on Rikers Island in front of the Samuel L. Perry Center on Tuesday night. The union typically pays for a coffee truck and also supplies doughnuts for officers in attendance.

New York City Hall spokesman Eric Phillips meanwhile applauded Kaepernick .

This is a guy using his celebrity to help young adults turn their lives around, to his own significant professional cost. He should be applauded.
The New York Post gave an extensive breakdown of Kaepernick’s day with inmates and his work to creative productive change.

The morning started off with Kaepernick attending breakfast in the warden’s office before heading over to the “Peace Center” where he conducted two 45 minutes sessions with prisoners clad in gray jumpsuits. The first group included 14 inmates including six adults and eight adolescents.

A volunteer at the jail introduced Kapernick, who gave a 10 minute talk before fielding questions and signing autographs. “They were basic questions, like what’s it like to play in the NFL,” said the source. “Then they asked him about taking a knee, why was he doing it. He said he was doing it to call attention to police brutality. He said he felt that, being a man of means, he felt obligated to take a stance on what he believes in.”

In the second session, which consisted of four adults and 10 adolescents, Kaepernick was more direct on his feelings about police brutality, the source said. “He came out of the gate with the police brutality… and he said the NFL was keeping him out of the game for speaking out.”

The source described the atmosphere in the room as calm and added that Kaepernick did not say anything derogatory about the police or corrections officers. “He was telling them how they could do better in life, that they’ve made mistakes, that this wasn’t the end for them, that they could go on to do good things,” he said.
The visit was arranged by “100 Suits for 100 Men” which helps inmates with suits upon leaving prison.  Kaepernick has previously donated toward the non-profit organization.

Getting into the holiday spirit...

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2017/12/police-union-decides-to-cancel-christmas-because-colin-kaepernick-visited-inmates-at-rikers-island/

Police Union Decides to Cancel Christmas Because Colin Kaepernick Visited Inmates at Rikers Island

Rikers Island inmates are losing Christmas over backlash from a visit by Colin Kaepernick.

Kaepernick, who visited to discuss police brutality and offer encouragement to inmates, presence was an unwanted sight for the Correction Officers Benevolent Association.  Several factors played a role into their disdain for Kaepernick’s Tuesday visit. Regardless, The New York Daily News details why Union officials canceled a scheduled Christmas tree lighting celebration for inmates.

“This will only encourage inmates to continue to attack Correction Officers at a time when we need more protection,” said Elias Husamudeen, president of the Correction Officers Benevolent Association.

The tree lighting ceremony is being held on Rikers Island in front of the Samuel L. Perry Center on Tuesday night. The union typically pays for a coffee truck and also supplies doughnuts for officers in attendance.

New York City Hall spokesman Eric Phillips meanwhile applauded Kaepernick .

The New York Post gave an extensive breakdown of Kaepernick’s day with inmates and his work to creative productive change.

The visit was arranged by “100 Suits for 100 Men” which helps inmates with suits upon leaving prison.  Kaepernick has previously donated toward the non-profit organization.
Hopefully these guys can get jobs and kneel on the job too

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-f-kennedy-foundation-celebrates-colin-kaepernick-harry-belafontes-activism-1067599?utm_source=twitter

Robert F. Kennedy Foundation Celebrates Colin Kaepernick, Harry Belafonte's Activism

Although dozens of CEOs, actors and activists came together Wednesday night to honor Harry Belafonte at the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights awards dinner, the highlight remained on surprise attendee, Colin Kaepernick.

The Ripple of Hope Awards dinner, which took place in New York City and was hosted by Alec Baldwin, invited big names from various entertainment, retail and tech companies to pay homage to the humanitarian work of celeb-turned-activists like Belafonte and Kaepernick.

“I think that he has focused our country on racism in the criminal justice system and that is very important, and I am eternally grateful to him for that,” said Kerry Kennedy, the president of the Robert F. Kennedy Foundation.

Kennedy’s recent work in releasing detainees in Rikers Island aligned her agenda with Kaepernick’s, who visited the controversial facility on Tuesday.

Danny Glover, a board member of the foundation and another celebrity-turned-activist, also lauded Kaepernick’s declarations after he met the football player at a visit to the 49ers camp.

"I admire him greatly. He’s in the tradition of Muhammad Ali and in the tradition of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and all of those athletes who stood up for justice,” Glover said.

The performer for the evening, Usher Raymond, also spoke frankly about Kaepernick and how he feels about the NFL’s unwillingness to sign the former quarterback after he began kneeling during the national anthem as a protest to police brutality against African Americans.

“Turn your TV off, turn your f—ing TV off. When you have a chance to not watch the NFL then don’t f—ing watch it,” Raymond said. “Don’t say that you f—ing support [Kaepernick] but you turn your TV on every Saturday and Sunday whenever there is a game.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-f-kennedy-foundation-celebrates-colin-kaepernick-harry-belafontes-activism-1067599?utm_source=twitter

Robert F. Kennedy Foundation Celebrates Colin Kaepernick, Harry Belafonte's Activism

Although dozens of CEOs, actors and activists came together Wednesday night to honor Harry Belafonte at the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights awards dinner, the highlight remained on surprise attendee, Colin Kaepernick.

The Ripple of Hope Awards dinner, which took place in New York City and was hosted by Alec Baldwin, invited big names from various entertainment, retail and tech companies to pay homage to the humanitarian work of celeb-turned-activists like Belafonte and Kaepernick.

“I think that he has focused our country on racism in the criminal justice system and that is very important, and I am eternally grateful to him for that,” said Kerry Kennedy, the president of the Robert F. Kennedy Foundation.

Kennedy’s recent work in releasing detainees in Rikers Island aligned her agenda with Kaepernick’s, who visited the controversial facility on Tuesday.

Danny Glover, a board member of the foundation and another celebrity-turned-activist, also lauded Kaepernick’s declarations after he met the football player at a visit to the 49ers camp.

"I admire him greatly. He’s in the tradition of Muhammad Ali and in the tradition of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and all of those athletes who stood up for justice,” Glover said.

The performer for the evening, Usher Raymond, also spoke frankly about Kaepernick and how he feels about the NFL’s unwillingness to sign the former quarterback after he began kneeling during the national anthem as a protest to police brutality against African Americans.

“Turn your TV off, turn your f—ing TV off. When you have a chance to not watch the NFL then don’t f—ing watch it,” Raymond said. “Don’t say that you f—ing support [Kaepernick] but you turn your TV on every Saturday and Sunday whenever there is a game.”
I don't know who Usher Raymond is but he seems like a classy gentleman 

:lmao:   Wait, Saturday games haven't even started yet (Thursday or Monday maybe?).  I'm guessing Usher doesn't know much about football in the first place.

Have to laugh. Keep in mi d this is New Orleans - a well known place here specializes in bowling and music. Anyway the owner has taken to playing the national anthem before the start of a band's set. It's a video of him, a former singer, in front of a big digital USA flag, singing the anthem, and almost everyone stops, and lots put their hand over their heart, but lots of people are sitting down, and some people keep bowling, and others just keep drinking & talking.

https://thinkprogress.org/2017-was-the-year-of-colin-kaepernick-27c99bd72dee/

2017 made it clear there is no end in sight to Colin Kaepernick’s movement

In 2016, Colin Kaepernick changed the trajectory of political activism in sports when he refused to stand during the national anthem at a San Francisco 49ers preseason NFL game in order to protest police brutality and systemic racism.

That action directly inspired a movement that spread across the NFL, the sports community at large, and even the world, as everyone — from politicians to NBA players, pee-wee football players to college women’s volleyball players, veterans to referees — followed Kaepernick’s lead and took a knee, an action that provoked outrage from many on the right and adoration from many on the left.

But while 2016 was the beginning of Kaepernick’s movement, 2017 was the year that it became clear that there is no end in sight. Even in one of the most tumultuous news cycles in recent American history, Kaepernick’s refusal to stand for the national anthem continued to resonate with Americans of every race, class, and gender, on both sides of the political spectrum.

Kaepernick managed to be the most impactful athlete of the year despite not playing a single down of football (yes, he’s still unemployed). He managed to be one of the most high-profile and influential activists as well, despite not giving any major interviews. He let his actions, his charity contributions, and occasionally his social media posts, do all the talking.

He continued to fulfill the $1 million pledge he announced last year, donating $100,000 a month to benefit oppressed communities. He continued to hold camps to teach children of color their legal rights. He helped raise money to get a Turkish Airlines plane flown to drought-stricken Somalia to deliver food, water, and assistance to the country. He donated $50,000 to Meals on Wheels, days after Trump announced he wanted to cut funding to the program. He’s supported Native American communities, fought for criminal justice reform, donated to Black Veterans for Social Justice, and reminded everyone that women’s rights are human rights. He didn’t give an interview to GQ when they named him Man of the Year, but he did pose in a shirt featuring the names of Americans murdered by police, [...]

Kaepernick isn’t the first athlete activist, but it’s impossible to deny that he changed the game. He chose a ceremony that means a lot to this nation to peacefully bring up a problem that many don’t want to face. Those who are furious and insulted are only amplifying his message; and by refusing to clap back at every racist tirade directed his way and verbally spar with every critic, he’s let his actions and the power of the movement speak for him. That’s only heightened his impact, and strengthened his coalition.

Kaepernick is currently pursuing a collusion lawsuit against the NFL that could have historic implications for the future of labor relations in the league. He is accusing the NFL owners and league office from conspiring to keep him out of the league because of his protest, and if he wins, the case could trigger the early termination of the current collective bargaining agreement, which has been widely panned for being overly generous to management. This would merely add another facet to his already indelible legacy.

Perhaps Beyonce summed it up best (when does she not?) when she presented Kaepernick with Sports Illustrated’s Muhammad Ali Legacy Award earlier this month.

“Colin took action with no fear of consequence or repercussion, only hope to change the world for the better,” Beyonce said. “To change perception, to change the way we treat each other, especially people of color. We’re still waiting for the world to catch up.”

Depends on your definition of success. He took his team to two NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl - I would call that succeeding.

He has certainly regressed after Harbaugh left, but I don't buy the narrative that he was never any good.

I personally think he is better than any QB on the Jets roster right now. He might be better Bortles too, if preseason games are any indication.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:  

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/262053/nfl-players-who-protested-during-national-anthem-in-week-15

NFL players who protested during national anthem in Week 15  [...]

Here are the players who protested in Week 15 (most recent updates first):

New York Giants: Olivier Vernon continued to be the only Giants player to protest, kneeling during the anthem before Sunday's game against the Eagles. It was his sixth game back after missing four games with an ankle injury. Vernon has done so at every game since Week 3 in Philadelphia. He said recently he plans to continue kneeling until the real message behind the protests is understood by the public. -- Jordan Raanan

New Orleans Saints: Most of the Saints players briefly kneeled in unity before the national anthem against the Jets, as they have done in their past 10 games. They then all stood during the anthem, with some players and coaches locking arms. -- Mike Triplett

Miami Dolphins: Wide receiver Kenny Stills and tight end Julius Thomas took a knee on the field during the national anthem before the Dolphins' game against the Bills. Safety Michael Thomas, who has joined Stills and Thomas this season, did not make the trip to Buffalo due to a knee injury. The trio previously stayed in the locker room for the anthem against the Jets in Week 7, but they have kneeled the past few weeks. Dolphins coach Adam Gase had established a team rule requiring players to either stand for the anthem or stay in the tunnel, but Gase recently told players that if they wanted to come out and kneel, they could do it and they won't be punished for it. -- James Walker

Los Angeles Chargers: Left tackle Russell Okungstood with the rest of his teammates during the national anthem before Saturday's game against the Chiefs, raising his right fist for the fourth straight week. Okung had not raised his fist the two weeks before that as the NFL honored the military, but he did earlier this season. Okung said earlier this year that despite an agreement in principle between the NFL and the Players Coalition to address criminal justice reform, he will continue to protest during the national anthem on game days. He attended a meeting in October with NFL owners and commissioner Roger Goodell to discuss how the league would handle anthem protests. Earlier this season, Okung wrote an open letter to other NFL players on The Players' Tribune, with the goal of overcoming "uncharted territory" by opening a line of communication and responding with "one voice" as players. -- Eric D. Williams

Kansas City Chiefs: Cornerback Marcus Peters came out of the tunnel after the national anthem was over before the Chiefs' game against the Chargers on Saturday. This was the sixth game in a row he had done this, though he was suspended in Week 14. Peters had previously sat on a bench on the sideline for the anthem this season. -- Adam Teicher

On a lighter note... :hophead:

http://sportspickle.com/nfl/nfl-video-replay-reveals-colin-kaepernicks-knee-never-hit-ground-kneeling.html

NFL video replay reveals Colin Kaepernick’s knee never hit the ground while kneeling

(SP) – After a video replay review of Colin Kaepernick kneeling during the national anthem last season, it has been determined that Kaepernick never actually did fully kneel down or did not “complete a kneeling act” under the league’s full definition of the rule.

“I know a lot of people were angered by him kneeling and many even said they stopped watching the NFL because of it,” said commissioner Roger Goodell. “But upon review, we now know that what we all thought we saw did not actually occur. Kaepernick did not officially kneel per league kneeling rules and so everyone can like the NFL again.”

Per NFL rules, an anthem kneel must last throughout the duration of the song and a player must make an additional “protest move,” such as raising a fist. Kaepernick never did, meaning his kneel was not official.

In the wake of the ruling, the NFL has received many apologies from those who ripped the league over allowing Kaepernick to kneel, including from President Trump. Early this morning the president tweeted:

“After review, it is revealed Kaepernick never actually kneeled. AMERICA IS GREAT AGAIN,” he wrote.

Kaepernick said he was surprised by the outcome.

“I thought I had kneeled, but it turns out I didn’t,” he said. “There’s nothing I can do about it now. Rules are rules. The outcome stands and so I officially don’t think there are any racial problems in America. “

49ers also won their fourth game of the year yesterday.  I'm shocked they improved since last year after getting rid of that terrible QB

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/262053/nfl-players-who-protested-during-national-anthem-in-week-15

NFL players who protested during national anthem in Week 15  [...]

Here are the players who protested in Week 15 (most recent updates first):

New York Giants: Olivier Vernon continued to be the only Giants player to protest, kneeling during the anthem before Sunday's game against the Eagles. It was his sixth game back after missing four games with an ankle injury. Vernon has done so at every game since Week 3 in Philadelphia. He said recently he plans to continue kneeling until the real message behind the protests is understood by the public. -- Jordan Raanan

New Orleans Saints: Most of the Saints players briefly kneeled in unity before the national anthem against the Jets, as they have done in their past 10 games. They then all stood during the anthem, with some players and coaches locking arms. -- Mike Triplett

Miami Dolphins: Wide receiver Kenny Stills and tight end Julius Thomas took a knee on the field during the national anthem before the Dolphins' game against the Bills. Safety Michael Thomas, who has joined Stills and Thomas this season, did not make the trip to Buffalo due to a knee injury. The trio previously stayed in the locker room for the anthem against the Jets in Week 7, but they have kneeled the past few weeks. Dolphins coach Adam Gase had established a team rule requiring players to either stand for the anthem or stay in the tunnel, but Gase recently told players that if they wanted to come out and kneel, they could do it and they won't be punished for it. -- James Walker

Los Angeles Chargers: Left tackle Russell Okungstood with the rest of his teammates during the national anthem before Saturday's game against the Chiefs, raising his right fist for the fourth straight week. Okung had not raised his fist the two weeks before that as the NFL honored the military, but he did earlier this season. Okung said earlier this year that despite an agreement in principle between the NFL and the Players Coalition to address criminal justice reform, he will continue to protest during the national anthem on game days. He attended a meeting in October with NFL owners and commissioner Roger Goodell to discuss how the league would handle anthem protests. Earlier this season, Okung wrote an open letter to other NFL players on The Players' Tribune, with the goal of overcoming "uncharted territory" by opening a line of communication and responding with "one voice" as players. -- Eric D. Williams

Kansas City Chiefs: Cornerback Marcus Peters came out of the tunnel after the national anthem was over before the Chiefs' game against the Chargers on Saturday. This was the sixth game in a row he had done this, though he was suspended in Week 14. Peters had previously sat on a bench on the sideline for the anthem this season. -- Adam Teicher
Been fizzling out for a couple of months now. Months ago Jim Caldwell told the Lions players just do the right thing and stand because we as a team do not need distractions. They listened.   

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sean-diddy-combs-carolina-panthers_us_5a3774b9e4b01d429cca2a69?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004

Diddy Wants To Buy The Panthers, Then Hire Colin Kaepernick As Quarterback

Hip-hop mogul and entrepreneur Sean “Diddy” Combs says he’s going to try to buy the Carolina Panthers and possibly hire Colin Kaepernick, the out-of-work quarterback who popularized the “take a knee” protests for racial justice. 

The NFL team is being put up for sale amid allegations of workplace misconduct against owner Jerry Richardson. The claims include sexually suggestive comments and the use of a racist slur.  

Diddy fired off a series of tweets and Instagram posts on Sunday saying that he’d like to buy the team, and that it’s “no joke.” 

Diddy ✔ @Diddy 5:51 PM - Dec 17, 2017

Replying to @Diddy @Panthers

There are no majority African American NFL owners. Let’s make history.
“I will be the best NFL owner that you can imagine,” he told Panthers fans in an Instagram video. “I will immediately address the Colin Kaepernick situation and put him in the running for next year’s starting quarterback.”

Colin Kaepernick‏ @Kaepernick7 3h3 hours ago

I want in on the ownership group! Let’s make it happen!

Diddy‏ @Diddy 16h16 hours ago

I would like to buy the @Panthers. Spread the word. Retweet!

“Even if you don’t find that it’s true”

:lmao:

dont let the facts get in the way 
I take it you’re not a big fan of newt geingrich and his “well, it’s a fact that many of us feel that immigration is a problem in this country” nonsense?

squistion said:
Colin Kaepernick‏ @Kaepernick7 3h3 hours ago

I want in on the ownership group! Let’s make it happen!
Neither he nor puffy (or whatever Mr Combs calls himself these days) has the money to buy the Panthers

Users who are viewing this thread