What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (4 Viewers)

Serious question - is he as good as Wilson? Can he be?

Line up the Seahawks and the 49ers rosters position by position. Where is the biggest differences? RB? WRs? QB?

Before last night, Kaeps ONLY negative result in the post season was falling a bit short on the last play in a super bowl. He was 4-1 in the postseason with 3 road wins. He's now 4-2. Is he great? No. Can he be? I think so. Will he be? Remains to be seen. Coaching has as much to do with the loss last night as Kaep. Sure he threw an INT and lost a fumble before the final INT...but the fact is we were still in it and had a chance to win at the end. Harbaugh should have used a TO and called a different play, or at least told him not to throw Sherman's way.

Yeah the throw is on Kaep...but he played much better this trip to Seattle than his last 2...to me that shows growth. He still makes questionable decisions and needs to be coached during the games, and Harbaugh didn't do that last night. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on the kid yet, he has too much raw talent. What worries.me is whether or not Harbaugh and company can turn that talent into an elite QB.
Not to nitpick but I think the SF D had much to do with this. Before that final drive Kap was 9-17 for like 91 yards I believe. I would be very interested to see what Kap could be (better or worse) without having arguably the best D in the NFL backing him. I dont know that he has "it" when it comes to passing the ball

Before last night, Kaeps ONLY negative result in the post season was falling a bit short on the last play in a super bowl. He was 4-1 in the postseason with 3 road wins. He's now 4-2. Is he great? No. Can he be? I think so. Will he be? Remains to be seen. Coaching has as much to do with the loss last night as Kaep. Sure he threw an INT and lost a fumble before the final INT...but the fact is we were still in it and had a chance to win at the end. Harbaugh should have used a TO and called a different play, or at least told him not to throw Sherman's way.

Yeah the throw is on Kaep...but he played much better this trip to Seattle than his last 2...to me that shows growth. He still makes questionable decisions and needs to be coached during the games, and Harbaugh didn't do that last night. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on the kid yet, he has too much raw talent. What worries.me is whether or not Harbaugh and company can turn that talent into an elite QB.
Not to nitpick but I think the SF D had much to do with this. Before that final drive Kap was 9-17 for like 91 yards I believe. I would be very interested to see what Kap could be (better or worse) without having arguably the best D in the NFL backing him. I dont know that he has "it" when it comes to passing the ball
I didn't mean to sound like I was saying he had a good game per se...but he didn't look frazzled as he did in the previous games and he handled the crowd noise pretty well (I think we only had one delay of game?). On top of that, the run game was nonexistant, which directly affects the passing game, hence the anemic passing numbers. The only runs that were effective were when Kaep scrambled. The designed QB runs didn't work well at all. So given the fact that we couldn't run the ball, I think Kaep did OK until the 4th quarter. He still needs to improve, and next season will be the definitive test. If he doesn't take a big step in progressing, then he probably never will.

CK played well but I really thought he rushed that last throw. First down with 3 TOs is an eternity. I really thought they would work the middle and get close for 3 good shots at the EZ.

People get too caught up in the running. 150 yards passing and three turnovers is awful. Wilson was the better QB and that was the difference in the game.

That is something that has to be recognized. He also was pretty much the whole offense and led in rushing. The 49er offense is flawed and we all see this. The 49er coaching staff need to get this fixed since the passing offense has stunk since 2011, heck even before that, and now the run game comes up short in a game like last night.

PFT noted in six playoff games, Kaepernick has three games with 95+ yards.

All other QBs have two COMBINED (Vick and McNabb).

He may be the greatest running QB in league history. If he becomes a more consistent passer, and SF adds younger receiving weapons to Crabtree and Davis, he will be very hard to stop.

People get too caught up in the running. 150 yards passing and three turnovers is awful. Wilson was the better QB and that was the difference in the game.
Wilson had a key TO himself.
One, not three.
And he wasn't moving the ball much in the first half as well.
Wilson gets it done. He shouldn't have lost last year against the Falcons, who needed two big plays with 25 seconds left to win.

He may be the greatest running QB in league history. If he becomes a more consistent passer, and SF adds younger receiving weapons to Crabtree and Davis, he will be very hard to stop.
Being a Philly fan I can't tell you enough how much phrases like this sicken me. People had this same thought with Randall, McNabb and Vick for years and it never came to be. You are either accurate or you are not. This isnt something thats learned at this level IMO.

Wilson had a key TO himself.
One, not three.
And he wasn't moving the ball much in the first half as well.
Wilson gets it done. He shouldn't have lost last year against the Falcons, who needed two big plays with 25 seconds left to win.
LOL, I get confused between you and jonessed because of your avatar's.

I like Wilson, and think he is better than Kaep right now. I give Kaep credit for competing to the end of big games too. He faced the best secondary while on the road in a big game, and challenged their best CB. He just came up short.

I didn't mean to sound like I was saying he had a good game per se...but he didn't look frazzled as he did in the previous games and he handled the crowd noise pretty well (I think we only had one delay of game?). On top of that, the run game was nonexistant, which directly affects the passing game, hence the anemic passing numbers. The only runs that were effective were when Kaep scrambled. The designed QB runs didn't work well at all. So given the fact that we couldn't run the ball, I think Kaep did OK until the 4th quarter. He still needs to improve, and next season will be the definitive test. If he doesn't take a big step in progressing, then he probably never will.
I still think the 49ers would be smart to possibly draft a qb i nthe 3rd or 4th next year in an effort to groom him and put a little pressure on Kaep. Sure that was a top D but his numbers were terrible (outside the running) and more importantly to me is he only completed 50 odd % of his passes against one of the worst pass D's in the league two games ago...he finished the playoffs with 55% completion and as numerous other people have mentioned if GB or CAR actually caught his errant passes they aren't even in seattle.

I am a big believer that the 49ers are stacked at the receiving position with crabtree, boldin and davis...there is no reason not to be able to connect with these guys on a regular basis.

I'm not saying pull the guy by any means but i think there is enough there to be moderately concerned with him.

I still think the 49ers would be smart to possibly draft a qb i nthe 3rd or 4th next year in an effort to groom him and put a little pressure on Kaep. Sure that was a top D but his numbers were terrible (outside the running) and more importantly to me is he only completed 50 odd % of his passes against one of the worst pass D's in the league two games ago...he finished the playoffs with 55% completion and as numerous other people have mentioned if GB or CAR actually caught his errant passes they aren't even in seattle.

I am a big believer that the 49ers are stacked at the receiving position with crabtree, boldin and davis...there is no reason not to be able to connect with these guys on a regular basis.

I'm not saying pull the guy by any means but i think there is enough there to be moderately concerned with him.
I think I read this at the Webzone.

ETA: you do realize that Boldin, Davis, and Crabs all play better with Kaep under center, don't you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Being a Philly fan I can't tell you enough how much phrases like this sicken me. People had this same thought with Randall, McNabb and Vick for years and it never came to be. You are either accurate or you are not. This isnt something thats learned at this level IMO.
That's a little melodramatic. Nuclear weapons proliferation and world hunger sicken me.

First two years completion percentage (in a starting role)...

Kaepernick - 60% (used 2012 and 2013, first years starting, 11 INTs in 23 regular season starts)

Cunningham - 54% (brought along slowly first two years, but in first five, not more than 54%, began playing full time year three, 28 INTs in 28 starts year three and four)

Mcnabb - 58% (only 100 attempts his rookie season, so used year two and three, 25 INTs first two years starting)

Vick - 55% (an average, had a few 100 attempt seasons with six starts combined in season one and three, 20 INTs seasons two and four, 30 starts)

Kaepernick more accurate and careful with the ball than all of them, significantly better than Cunningham and Vick in accuracy, and Cunnngham and McNabb in INT.

BTW, by stating being more consistent, I wasn't speaking of accuracy as much as better decision making to reduce INTs. I think we would find this is something QBs are capable of improving on. Especially is they are smart and work hard, which by all accounts describes Kaepernick. Conversely, Cunningham and Vick were notorious for not being students of the game and relying on their admittedly formidable athleticism. I'm not sure McNabb was a student of the game like Manning, Brady, Brees, etc., either.

Kaepernick - 60% (used 2012 and 2013, first years starting, 11 INTs in 23 regular season starts)

Cunningham - 54% (brought along slowly first two years, but in first five, not more than 54%, began playing full time year three, 28 INTs in 28 starts year three and four)

Mcnabb - 58% (only 100 attempts his rookie season, so used year two and three, 25 INTs first two years starting)

Vick - 55% (an average, had a few 100 attempt seasons with six starts combined in season one and three, 20 INTs seasons two and four, 30 starts)

Kaepernick more accurate and careful with the ball than all of them, significantly better than Cunningham and Vick in accuracy, and Cunnngham and McNabb in INT.

BTW, by stating being more consistent, I wasn't speaking of accuracy as much as better decision making to reduce INTs. I think we would find this is something QBs are capable of improving on. Especially is they are smart and work hard, which by all accounts describes Kaepernick. Conversely, Cunningham and Vick were notorious for not being students of the game and relying on their admittedly formidable athleticism. I'm not sure McNabb was a student of the game like Manning, Brady, Brees, etc., either.
I'm aware of their accuracy, my point was that you dont see it improve. See the below which also goes for the ones I mentioned.

You are either accurate or you are not. This isnt something thats learned at this level IMO.
When you said consistent I took that the same way it was used for the other QB's I mentioned, which mainly meant they needed to be more accurate and make better decisions with the ball. Next year will be very telling for Kap, if he regresses like he did from '12-'13 SF will be in a very difficult situation.

Wilson had a running game, with Lynch over 100 yards.

Kap had no running game support, with Gore averaging 1ypc.

Wilson was a supporting actor in the Lynch show. JSmith and the pass rush slowed down in the 2nd half when they had to read run first each time. No such threat excited for Kap, and the DL just teed off on him. Kap had to shoulder the load and was the entire offense.

I don't see how any discerning NFL fan could compare the two based on last night's game.

WIlson made the few plays he needed to...but did not look very good at all much of the time.

Kaep just made some awful mistakes that cost them big time.

Wilson hasnt played great in 6 weeks. Him and Kap both have warts and both have great potential to be stars. Im very happy with kaep as the qb of the future of the niners and the seahawks should be ecstatic about wilson.

I'm aware of their accuracy, my point was that you dont see it improve. See the below which also goes for the ones I mentioned.

You are either accurate or you are not. This isnt something thats learned at this level IMO.
When you said consistent I took that the same way it was used for the other QB's I mentioned, which mainly meant they needed to be more accurate and make better decisions with the ball. Next year will be very telling for Kap, if he regresses like he did from '12-'13 SF will be in a very difficult situation.
I don't know what you are or aren't aware of (or to what degree of accuracy) if you don't state it, and anyways, sometimes I put up stats for the benefit of the thread, as it is likely everybody doesn't know everything relevant to this matter. If Kaepernick is more accurate than the other running QBs (he is), than to that extent your lumping them all in the same category could be misplaced, respectfully and IMHO.

You are right, more consistent could be typically construed and interpreted in the sense of accuracy, so I could have made it clearer that I meant it in the broader and more inclusive sense of smarter decision making. I might have been wrong even on that point, as his INT percentage is very low (especially compared to the others in your "lumped" cohorts), and based on that, you could conclude he does make good decisions most of the time.

It might be instructive for the thread and a potential learning opportunity for both of us to expand on the theme... "you are accurate or you aren't" and "it can't be learned at this level". Is there an unspoken qualifier there? Did you intend to say "running QBs"? I don't want to misrepresent you, but I know sometimes what people "mean" or "intend" is something larger than what they actually write or say (for what it is worth, I'm sympathetically giving you the benefit of the doubt that this could be an oversight or miscommunication, if not, please correct me). If you really meant ALL QBs with no qualifiers and restrictions, than clearly that thought or belief is wrong. I just took a cursory a look at the top four QBs, and Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers did improve (markedly and pronouncedly in some cases) after their first year or two starting, at a comparable stage of development to Kaepernick. Doesn't it intuitively accord more with our experience that as a QB becomes acclimated to the NFL pressure cooker and speed of the game, it would slow down for them, and this should enable them to be more efficient and productive?

But I kind of see what you may have meant. "Good" or "great" QBs that are capable of improvement, tend to improve if they apply themselves. Less talented QBs, or ones that don't put in the work, can't or won't improve. The trick is figuring out which is which.

Maybe you looked at Cunningham, McNabb and Vick and generalized to all QBs from that narrow, restricted data set? Maybe another distinction would be to compare "complacent" and "lazy" and hard working, diligent QBs. Clearly Cunningham and Vick (put VY here, too, imo) got by on their God-given athleticism and were not students of the game. So I think another level where your "lumping" Kaepernick with the other running QBs is misplaced is in this area of football IQ. Kaepernick caught flak for doing the video game commercial (but didn't Wilson, also, without criticism?), as well as for showing up to the ESPY awards (don't know if Wilson was invited, but if not and he had been, would he not have attended?). But I heard after the Super Bowl loss last year, instead of taking a break, he got right back to work.

Also, I didn't want to emphasize it so as to avoid a separate discussion about comparitive receiving weapons of Cunningham, McNabb and Vick, but there does seem to be a pattern with Kaepernick. It is well known that Crabtree is his favorite target, and that was removed from him in the first 11 games. This affected his accuracy, as you might expect (DBs could blanket a lesser WR taking his place, and committ extra attention to Boldin and Davis). His accuracy was better in the last five weeks, once Crabtree returned. I won't be surprised if he gets to 63%-64% in 2014 if he has Crabtree for a full season or something close.

We should remember, he hasn't even played two full seasons yet, so he is little more experienced than a rookie after their first season (though he is about to enter his fourth year in the NFL, he didn't play much the first year and a half - so basically he didn't play about the same length of time he has played, if you look at it like that?). Is it possible the absence of Crabtree had a lot to do with his "regression". I agree 2014 is a big year for him, but other than a handful of QBs, every year is a big year for everybody, he isn't exempt from that process of evaluation, but not necessarily exceptional in that respect, either.

* Kaepernick's 2013 game log

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KaepCo00/gamelog/2013/

Wilson had a running game, with Lynch over 100 yards.Kap had no running game support, with Gore averaging 1ypc.

Wilson was a supporting actor in the Lynch show. JSmith and the pass rush slowed down in the 2nd half when they had to read run first each time. No such threat excited for Kap, and the DL just teed off on him. Kap had to shoulder the load and was the entire offense.

I don't see how any discerning NFL fan could compare the two based on last night's game.
It's actually pretty easy to compare the two as both teams are built similarly. Wilson was actually under a lot more pressure the entire game yet still made better decisions.Seattle had an effective running game in the second half because they continued to pound the ball even when they couldn't net the yardage in the first. San Francisco probably could have had similar luck had they decided to run their backs instead of their QB.

Wilson was the better regular season QB, the better post-season QB , and the better QB in head-to-head match- ups. He's just better right now. Kap always has next year to catch up though.

Wilson was the better regular season QB, the better post-season QB , and the better QB in head-to-head match- ups. He's just better right now. Kap always has next year to catch up though.
I get maybe he was better in the regular season, but post season I think Kaepernick's performances were better considering the opponents and situations. Not sure how you can be so convinced considering if Kearse didn't catch that ball on 4th and 7 or if Crabtree caught the last pass this wouldn't even be a conversation.

I get maybe he was better in the regular season, but post season I think Kaepernick's performances were better considering the opponents and situations. Not sure how you can be so convinced considering if Kearse didn't catch that ball on 4th and 7 or if Crabtree caught the last pass this wouldn't even be a conversation.
Kearse caught a great pass, Crabtree didn't catch a poor pass.

jonessed said:
chinawildman said:
jonessed said:
Or maybe Rogers didn't make a play on the ball, and Sherman made a great play… Guess it depends on who you ask.

jonessed said:
chinawildman said:
jonessed said:
Or maybe Rogers didn't make a play on the ball, and Sherman made a great play… Guess it depends on who you ask.
One SEA TD pass, the defense quit on the offsides.

jonessed said:
5Rings said:
jonessed said:
Wilson had a running game, with Lynch over 100 yards.Kap had no running game support, with Gore averaging 1ypc.

It's actually pretty easy to compare the two as both teams are built similarly. Wilson was actually under a lot more pressure the entire game yet still made better decisions.Seattle had an effective running game in the second half because they continued to pound the ball even when they couldn't net the yardage in the first. San Francisco probably could have had similar luck had they decided to run their backs instead of their QB.

How did you gather that Wilson was the better post-season QB? Go take a look at Kap's stats starting with the GB game and get back to us. If by better you mean not asked to do as much then sure. When your RB goes off for 250 and 3TD's in those two games and you have that defense, special teams and HF advantage you don't need to do as much.

The biggest thing impeding Kap's growth is Greg Roman. 49er fans can only hope that he gets a new job soon.

You're all funny. None of those guys are ever going to be elite passers. you keep citing their completion percentages and compair them to traditional passers as if they are asked to do the same responsibilities.

You're all funny. None of those guys are ever going to be elite passers. you keep citing their completion percentages and compair them to traditional passers as if they are asked to do the same responsibilities.
Greg Cosell had some interesting thought's similar to this on KNBR today. If I can find a direct link to the podcast, I'll post it later.

jonessed said:
5Rings said:
jonessed said:

How did you gather that Wilson was the better post-season QB? Go take a look at Kap's stats starting with the GB game and get back to us. If by better you mean not asked to do as much then sure. When your RB goes off for 250 and 3TD's in those two games and you have that defense, special teams and HF advantage you don't need to do as much.

The biggest thing impeding Kap's growth is Greg Roman. 49er fans can only hope that he gets a new job soon.
He has better overall stats for the post-season and he performed better head - to- head.

jonessed said:
chinawildman said:
jonessed said:
Or maybe Rogers didn't make a play on the ball, and Sherman made a great play Guess it depends on who you ask.
Crabtree's pass was underthrown, Kearse's wasn't.

One of the most relevant stats for QB's in the post season is INT's. If the QB throws zero picks, the stats show that he has a 78% chance of winning. If he throws one pick he has a 55% chance. It goes way down from there.

personally, i think he will be fine. another year with harbaugh coaching will do him wonders. he played well down the stretch of the regular season. he made costly mistakes against arguably the best defense - especially their secondary - in the league. it proves that he is merely mortal and that's fine. some adjustments in personnel and he'll be back.

Joe Montana thinks Kaepernick comes up short as a pocket passer.

"I like his mobility and that he's getting the ball downfield," Montana told USA TODAY Sports in a wide-ranging interview. "But sometimes, he needs to be more accurate in the pocket with pressure.

"The game is changing. Nobody wants to throw with pressure anymore. But the guys who can win in this league are the ones who can make throws from the pocket."

Overreact much? Yea Kaepernick turned it over in the 4th quarter, but the seahawks only got 3 pts off of turnovers. Kaep had nothing to do with giving up a a 50 yd pass to baldwin, a 46 yd TD run to lynch, a 60+ yard return to baldwin, or a 40yd 4th and 7 TD heave to Kearse, each leading to points. He drove them down the field against the best defense in the league in the most hostile road environment in the 3rd quarter putting them up by a TD at the time, and almost did it again at the end of the game. Save for the one long run, he was consistent enough to win the game. The niners were in position at the end to score 20 pts, and that IMO is enough to beat the seahawks given the 49ers defense.

A bit to silly to think that the outcome of the game was decided by one or 2 plays and yet somehow if those plays ended differently that an entire player's career is somehow validated by it. C'mon, I'd like to think we're a bit better than that here.

Joe Montana thinks Kaepernick comes up short as a pocket passer.

"I like his mobility and that he's getting the ball downfield," Montana told USA TODAY Sports in a wide-ranging interview. "But sometimes, he needs to be more accurate in the pocket with pressure.

"The game is changing. Nobody wants to throw with pressure anymore. But the guys who can win in this league are the ones who can make throws from the pocket."
:goodposting:

Wilson was not significantly better in the post season or the head to head matchups. In SF, Kaep had more yards than Wilson, the same number of TD/Ints, and of course won the game. There is no way you can say Wilson was significantly better unless you just like Wilson a whole lot and are biased.

In Seattle, where a QB can't call an audible due to crowd noise, Kaep had 283 yards, 1 TD and 2 Int, and Wilson had 215 yards, 1 TD. Wilson is obviously ahead on turnovers, but overall his performance was very Alex Smithian and not significantly better than Kaep's. Without Kaep, the Niners had no offense, period. The Niners are not even in that game without Kaep. Whereas Wilson has the luxury of being mediocre/below average and and just not turn the ball over.

The joke here is how anyone outside of Seattle could have called Wilson the MVP.

Im pretty sure San Fran had a time outs left, and if so should have used it prior to the last interception. They wasted 20 + seconds and rushed the play. I was screaming after the completion to Davis call time out! call time out! I felt like 1st and ten with approximately 45 seconds left they needed to settle down and talk it over. Nope interception. Harbaugh blew it.

Wilson was not significantly better in the post season or the head to head matchups. In SF, Kaep had more yards than Wilson, the same number of TD/Ints, and of course won the game. There is no way you can say Wilson was significantly better unless you just like Wilson a whole lot and are biased.

In Seattle, where a QB can't call an audible due to crowd noise, Kaep had 283 yards, 1 TD and 2 Int, and Wilson had 215 yards, 1 TD. Wilson is obviously ahead on turnovers, but overall his performance was very Alex Smithian and not significantly better than Kaep's. Without Kaep, the Niners had no offense, period. The Niners are not even in that game without Kaep. Whereas Wilson has the luxury of being mediocre/below average and and just not turn the ball over.

The joke here is how anyone outside of Seattle could have called Wilson the MVP.
You are leaving out the other regular season game in Seattle where Kap had 4 turnovers. That's 8 turnovers in three games compared to Wilson's 3.

That's huge.

Kaep is extemely athletic but still very raw as a QB...his clock management is really bad, he's not a good pocket passer but he was a couple plays from the super bowl at the end of the day. His scrambling ability is amazing and he runs like a gazelle...still a young player with all the tools and put in a position to succeed.

Overreact much? Yea Kaepernick turned it over in the 4th quarter, but the seahawks only got 3 pts off of turnovers. Kaep had nothing to do with giving up a a 50 yd pass to baldwin, a 46 yd TD run to lynch, a 60+ yard return to baldwin, or a 40yd 4th and 7 TD heave to Kearse, each leading to points.
I'm a little confused at what you're trying to prove with this. The fact that the drive ended with every turnover he made (3 by the way) is on him each time. It prevented any opportunity for them to score points and gave SEA a prime opportunity to capitalize on it. The fact that SEA only scored 3 off those turnovers means that his defense bailed him out on those turnovers. Yeah the Def gave up 2 big plays and didn't play perfect, but they played well enough to win. Kaep had (1) great throw to Boldin for his lone TD pass (and it was a great one) but the rest of the game his passing was inconsistent and never opened up the run game for Gore. Kaep just isn't a very good passer yet which explains his 192 ypg passing this year in the playoffs.

Im pretty sure San Fran had a time outs left, and if so should have used it prior to the last interception. They wasted 20 + seconds and rushed the play. I was screaming after the completion to Davis call time out! call time out! I felt like 1st and ten with approximately 45 seconds left they needed to settle down and talk it over. Nope interception. Harbaugh blew it.
Instead of acting like every second was needed, they acted as though they were going to make sure that they were going to score and leave 0 seconds on the clock. What an egomaniac Harbug is. They wasted time and caused a deep out against Sherman. Horrible coaching. They could have dinked and dunked and gotten inside the 15 with 4 shots at the endzone but Harbug thinks he is the big ####. They moved the ball nicely but wasted the clock.

I think the had all 3 of their TOs left. At least 2. Thought the whole play was rushed.

I think the had all 3 of their TOs left. At least 2. Thought the whole play was rushed.
They had two; Crabtree had stupidly failed to get out of bounds on his earlier reception, forcing them to call timeout.

I do agree that a TO seemed warranted in that situation.

They had two; Crabtree had stupidly failed to get out of bounds on his earlier reception, forcing them to call timeout.

I do agree that a TO seemed warranted in that situation.
He did get a good 7-8 more yards (and possibly more if he broke a tackle) so it wasn't as terrible a decision as your post makes it out to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread