What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (4 Viewers)

The other polls have no more validity than the JD Power voluntary online poll you swear by and think is gospel.

You always have to get in the last word, don't you? I let you have it so as to make your day.
Squis...no offense but I think you are obsessed with Kappy. It has been over a year since he has even been on a roster.  I actually hope he gets a backup job so you can let it go.

noun: obsession

the state of being obsessed with someone or something.

"I think about him every minute of everyday him with a devotion bordering on obsession"

an idea or thought or person that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind.

plural noun: obsessions

"he was in the grip of an obsession he was powerless to resist"

Squis...no offense but I think you are obsessed with Kappy. It has been over a year since he has even been on a roster.  I actually hope he gets a backup job so you can let it go.
His protest and issues he has raised are still important to many people such as myself, well beyond what is happening with his playing career. And he seems to have become a martyr for what he believes.

Also he was a finalist for Time Magazine person of the year, was given the SI Muhammad Ali Legacy Award, plus his $1 million in chartable contributions (actually putting his money where his mouth) in addition to his grievance filed against the league which could void the CBA. I have simply been keeping up keeping up with the breaking news which has been on a weekly, sometimes daily, basis.

His protest and issues he has raised are still important to many people such as myself, well beyond what is happening with his playing career. And he seems to have become a martyr for what he believes.

Also he was a finalist for Time Magazine person of the year, was given the SI Muhammad Ali Legacy Award, plus his $1 million in chartable contributions (actually putting his money where his mouth) in addition to his grievance filed against the league which could void the CBA. I have simply been keeping up keeping up with the breaking news which has been on a weekly, sometimes daily, basis.
Do you ever notice that nobody else bumps this this thread though?

Why do you guys reward a poster like squisy, a guy with zero life experience, with nothing to contribute, who has never had an original thought?  Why?  Why?@SaintsInDome2006 @TobiasFunke @Koya @Slapdash @sho nuff @timschochet @lakerstan @Sheriff Bart and anyone else who regularly encourages this guy

Why are you encouraging someone who reports other posters at a rate that has never been equaled in these forums, someone who is against freedom of speech?  This is why people hate "liberals," because just like Westboro Baptist Church guy supporter, you are supporting the absolute worst we as a people have produced.  Stop it, stop doing that. 

I'd like to spend 50 hours a day posting re-tweets of political fodder, I really would.  I have a job though,.  Until you people stop feeding the squisys and jamesbrownkids of the forum, you will be stuck in a cycle of mediocrity. 

I've been known to excel at confronting the far-right, but I also can stand back and recognize the impotence of the really far...and unreasonable left.  It's good to be like that, you know, because I'm actually quite normal. 

I remember years and years of "Tim is destroying the forum, Tim sucks, Tim is a butthead."  Yeah, Tim has never been this extreme or completely abhorrent.  I would generally just let this go but the insistence on non-stop posting, reporting, and awful shtick should be addressed.  No way this is allowed in any social setting in this society, or in any other.  Those of you allowing him to continue his vile exhibit of hate and ineptitude are just as bad as he is, as I see it. 

Don't care if this post gets me suspended (squisy has reported me 3 dozen times) or banned, you guys really need to understand what community is.  :bye: At this point we are letting the animals run the zoo, complete zeros in charge of the entire show.  I report you, no matter what kind of poster I am, I get the upper hand.  Ok, that's cool...IN NORTH KOREA! 

For the sake of the internet, I plead with you to not encourage this guy.  Most of you are bright and get it, don't follow the herd into the ditch.  TIA. 

:thumbup:

Why do you guys reward a poster like squisy, a guy with zero life experience, with nothing to contribute, who has never had an original thought?  Why?  Why?@SaintsInDome2006 @TobiasFunke @Koya @Slapdash @sho nuff @timschochet @lakerstan @Sheriff Bart and anyone else who regularly encourages this guy

Why are you encouraging someone who reports other posters at a rate that has never been equaled in these forums, someone who is against freedom of speech?  This is why people hate "liberals," because just like Westboro Baptist Church guy supporter, you are supporting the absolute worst we as a people have produced.  Stop it, stop doing that. 

I'd like to spend 50 hours a day posting re-tweets of political fodder, I really would.  I have a job though,.  Until you people stop feeding the squisys and jamesbrownkids of the forum, you will be stuck in a cycle of mediocrity. 

I've been known to excel at confronting the far-right, but I also can stand back and recognize the impotence of the really far...and unreasonable left.  It's good to be like that, you know, because I'm actually quite normal. 

I remember years and years of "Tim is destroying the forum, Tim sucks, Tim is a butthead."  Yeah, Tim has never been this extreme or completely abhorrent.  I would generally just let this go but the insistence on non-stop posting, reporting, and awful shtick should be addressed.  No way this is allowed in any social setting in this society, or in any other.  Those of you allowing him to continue his vile exhibit of hate and ineptitude are just as bad as he is, as I see it. 

Don't care if this post gets me suspended (squisy has reported me 3 dozen times) or banned, you guys really need to understand what community is.  :bye: At this point we are letting the animals run the zoo, complete zeros in charge of the entire show.  I report you, no matter what kind of poster I am, I get the upper hand.  Ok, that's cool...IN NORTH KOREA! 

For the sake of the internet, I plead with you to not encourage this guy.  Most of you are bright and get it, don't follow the herd into the ditch.  TIA. 

After I heard the latest round of shenanigans and reportings I've diligently stopped encouraging. Was trying to do it on the DL, limit the friendly fire so to speak, but I did it for you man.

I DID IT. FOR YOU.

(actually I did)

https://www.thestar.com/sports/football/analysis/2018/03/18/quarterbacks-cashing-in-except-for-the-unwelcome-colin-kaepernick.html

Quarterbacks cashing in — except for the unwelcome Colin Kaepernick

The NFL seems determined to banish peaceful protest from the playing field and owners don’t appear to want players who have engaged in protests or might be likely to going forward.

As free agency kicked off the start of a new football season, the NFL sent a clear message to anyone paying attention:

Colin Kaepernick, you’re still not wanted.

Probably not ever.

Oh, and while we’re at it, it’s pretty clear the owners have every intention of clamping down on any other players who try to carry on Kaepernick’s legacy.

Rattled by another big dip in the television ratings and an increasing number of empty seats, the league seems determined to banish peaceful protest from the playing field.

While it’s quite a stretch to say those trends are intimately related — injuries, bad games and poor showings by several of the league’s most popular teams were surely bigger factors in the waning popularity — the guys sitting on what remains an enormous cash cow aren’t taking any chances.

Since Kaepernick is the one who got this whole thing started by having the audacity to silently kneel during the national anthem to protest racial injustice — the nerve of that guy! — his career could very well be over.

Never mind that he’s undoubtedly more talented than many of the quarterbacks who still have paying jobs.

Just look at those who have already agreed to new deals heading into the 2018 season.

— Kirk Cousins, who has a losing career record as a starter and has yet to win a playoff game.

— Case Keenum, coming off a marvelous season with the Minnesota Vikings but definitely a candidate for one-year wonder.

— AJ McCarron, who has just three starts in four years.

— Mike Glennon, saddled with an awful career record of 6-16.

— Tom Savage, who went 1-6 as the Texans’ starter last season.

— Chase Daniel, the epitome of a journeyman.

— Josh McCown, who is 38 years old and, despite the lack of any apparent success over his long career, keeps landing on his feet.

While all those guys keep cashing cheques, Kaepernick was working out privately on a field in Houston, quietly going through the grind with only the help of his personal trainers, apparently still hopeful of restarting his career.

His optimism is likely misplaced.

While there’s always a chance of some owner breaking ranks to sign Kaepernick, the possibility grows less likely with each passing day. If anything, the owners are intent on nipping social consciousness in the bud.

Stephen Ross of the Miami Dolphins probably spoke out loud what most owners are saying behind closed doors when he was quoted as saying his players would be required to stand for the national anthem this season.

Ross quickly backtracked, saying his comments were “misconstrued,” but a statement explaining his position left no doubt that he’s had enough of taking a knee.

“I’m passionate about the cause of social justice, and I feel that kneeling is an ineffective tactic that alienates more people than it enlists,” he said.

There was also a report from the Houston Chronicle that Texans owner Robert McNair doesn’t want to acquire players who have engaged in protests or might be likely to going forward. While the team quickly denied the report, McNair’s stance on such issues is apparent to everyone. At an owners meeting last year, he grumbled that “we can’t have the inmates running the prison” — a remark that prompted most of his players to join arms and kneel before their next game.

Meanwhile, the Seattle Seahawks cut ties with two of their most outspoken players, Michael Bennett and Richard Sherman. While a point could be made that these moves were strictly designed to clear room under the salary cap and rebuild an aging defence, one couldn’t help but wonder if their support of Kaepernick’s protest contributed to the moves.

After clearly being blackballed last season, Kaepernick filed a grievance alleging the owners colluded to keep him out of the league. But it would probably take a mass walkout by all the fellow players to get him back on the field, and that’s not happening.

There’s too much money at stake to risk it all for a single player, no matter how unjustly he’s been treated. Even if all the players could come together as one, chances are their protest would collapse as soon as they miss a few paycheques, just as it did during the infamous 1987 strike when a plethora of big-name players crossed the picket line.

So, as we get started on a new NFL season, Kaepernick can expect to keep working out in solitude, at least until he decides on another line of work.

A bunch of less-qualified quarterbacks will continue to hold jobs.

The only message we can send:

Shame on you, NFL.

Not just this thread gb.  Not just this thread. 
I’m not as frequent a poster as others, so I’m not aware of any shenanigans, reporting issues, etc, so thanks for the awareness.  Going back in my history, it appears I replied to him on March 2 in the Donald Trump thread.  While I don’t think I will win any awards for supporting such a scoundrel, I’m thankful you included me so I have the additional context.  

I pray that you're smart enough to realize that any and all interaction with him is encouragement for him to continue doing what he's doing. To not call out the likes of Da Guru, Rambling Wreck, Dopie and Megaton in this is so extraordinarily short-sighted that I just insulted short-sightedness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pray that you're smart enough to realize that any and all interaction with him is encouragement for him to continue doing what he's doing. To not call out the likes of Da Guru, Rambling Wreck, Dopie and Megaton in this is so extraordinarily short-sighted that I just insulted short-sightedness.
They know LD, they aren’t excluded at all. Jon mx can’t help himself and I’ve already talked to most of the others at our secret Instagram forum. :mellow:  

I take responsibility... honestly I did not know about all the reporting to the mods. That makes it even worse.

Hard not ignore..when it falls off the first page it will be bumped right away by the OP. 

This has been discussed in length on our invite only secret FB page.

It seems like so long ago...

Since you asked:

I guess that, putting aside all other considerations, I disagree with your premise that squistion has nothing to contribute. As I've stated several times, I find his posting of tweets to be quite informative. I realize I could get them elsewhere, but I enjoy being able to read them all in one place.

New Ole Miss basketball head coach Kermit Davis: "We're going to be a team that respects the flag and the National Anthem."

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/20/17142676/new-ole-miss-basketball-coach-kermit-davis-team-will-respect-the-flag

There is no record of any Ole Miss player, in any sport, not respecting the flag or refusing to stand for the National Anthem.
More on that from Deadspin:

https://deadspin.com/confederate-army-no-longer-the-only-thing-ole-miss-glor-1823921723

Confederate Army No Longer The Only Thing Ole Miss Glorifies After Coach Vows To Respect American Flag And National Anthem

Kermit Davis, the new head coach of a college basketball team with a mascot named after confederate secessionists who wanted to destroy the union of American states, has vowed his team will respect the flag and the national anthem of the United States of America.

Brad Logan @BradLoganCOTE

"We're going to be a team that respects the (United States) flag and the National Anthem," #OleMiss head coach Kermit Davis

3:50 PM - Mar 19, 2018
Davis, who was just hired away from Middle Tennessee State last week, wasted no time getting to the flag humping. He laid out his vision for the program in his introductory press conference, and touched on the level of anthem respect his team will have.

What is Ole Miss Basketball going to look like? It’s going to be relentless, athletic, explosive, a team that’s going to have to play on and on and on to beat. It’s going to be a team that’s going to be unselfish. We’re going to play fast and smart in transition. We’re going to try to get easy baskets. We’re going to try to play with great body language. We’re going to be a respectful team that respects the flag and the National Anthem. All those things from culture is what we’re about. It’s who we’re going to be.
What’s more patriotic than positive attitudes and transition buckets?

timschochet said:
Since you asked:

I guess that, putting aside all other considerations, I disagree with your premise that squistion has nothing to contribute. As I've stated several times, I find his posting of tweets to be quite informative. I realize I could get them elsewhere, but I enjoy being able to read them all in one place.
Well here's the rub, in life you need to consider all the variables.  If I left out crucial details to a problem, people might die.  So I don't do that, because people might die.  So I apply that to all endeavors in life.  If someone's a liar, a scoundrel, someone who would sell their mother for a song and they posted the funny twitters, I'd probably consider that they were still a lying, scoundrel, mother-hater.  That's me though, I have standards and stuff. 

You seem like someone with standards, you're just ignoring the giant voice here telling you what is obvious. 

Well here's the rub, in life you need to consider all the variables.  If I left out crucial details to a problem, people might die.  So I don't do that, because people might die.  So I apply that to all endeavors in life.  If someone's a liar, a scoundrel, someone who would sell their mother for a song and they posted the funny twitters, I'd probably consider that they were still a lying, scoundrel, mother-hater.  That's me though, I have standards and stuff. 

You seem like someone with standards, you're just ignoring the giant voice here telling you what is obvious. 

Nailed it...at least for me.

Hopefully now we can stop talking about this guy.  
This thread was never just supposed to be only about Kaep playing in the NFL. It was also about the issues he raised: unarmed black men shot and killed in disproportionate numbers by LEOs and oppression of racial minorities. Also about free speech, of silently kneeling in protests and the reaction to them. If you think that discussion of this thread is over, well, then perhaps you could just not click on this thread title in the future, as it is not like someone is forcing you to do so.

:goodposting:   He should be on ignore by everyone and maybe he disappears. 

This thread was never just supposed to be only about Kaep playing in the NFL. It was also about the issues he raised: unarmed black men shot and killed in disproportionate numbers by LEOs and oppression of racial minorities. Also about free speech, of silently kneeling in protests and the reaction to them. If you think that discussion of this thread is over, well, then perhaps you could just not click on this thread title in the future, as it is not like someone is forcing you to do so.
Weird thread title then

He should be on ignore by everyone and maybe he disappears. 
Um, well, you obviously don't currently have me on ignore, so perhaps you can follow your own suggestion and others will follow. And even if they don't, by putting me on ignore yourself, as you recommend, my posts will disappear from your view, so you won't feel compelled to comment and then this discussion can hopefully continue to be about Colin Kaepernick and related issues to his social activism and protests.

:goodposting:   He should be on ignore by everyone and maybe he disappears. 
I like the fact that Squizz seems to be glued to Twitter and posts relevant tweets in the political threads. To me, I like what he contributes. Sounds like he annoys you because you disagree with his politics so you want him gone. While that seems like a pretty weak-minded stance, you are certainly free to put him on ignore so he doesn't continue to throw your day off. 

Imagine hating on Eric Reid:

Sometimes doing what is right means standing up for what you believe in and other times it means stepping up when others step away. 

The Eric Reid Invitational golf tournament, which started in 2015 to benefit the Baton Rouge Sickle Cell Anemia Foundation, was canceled last May after "five to six" major sponsors of the event pulled their financial backing following Reid's protests according to tournament director Lorri Burgess. 

Burgess, who is also the executive director of the Baton Rouge Sickle Cell Anemia Foundation, did her best to tell the sponsors they were only hurting kids as the tournament was designed to help fund a summer camp for children with sickle cell disease in the Baton Rouge area. 

When Reid found out about the sponsors pulling out of the tournament - and the ultimate cancellation of the tournament - he jumped into action.

Reid pledged an additional $10,000 to the Foundation to ensure the summer camp could go on for 50 kids. Reid covered travel expenses for field trips and lunches for the camp.

Going forward, he's looking at starting an annual basketball game at his alma mater Dutchtown between police and fire departments from local parishes. 
link

Must feel great to be one of the snowflake fans whose outrage at peaceful protest is driving sponsors away from a charity event and compelling owners to turn him away.

Users who are viewing this thread