What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (10 Viewers)

Ray Rice should have tried this strategy. Can you believe people stopped supporting his charity? 
Seriously, I am in awe of the craftsmanship here. Bayless and Stephen A. get paid seven figures to spew hot garbage takes for hours at a time every day and they can't touch what you pulled off in less than 20 words.  If you're not in the hot take biz you should think about making a career move.

TobiasFunke said:
Seriously, I am in awe of the craftsmanship here. Bayless and Stephen A. get paid seven figures to spew hot garbage takes for hours at a time every day and they can't touch what you pulled off in less than 20 words.  If you're not in the hot take biz you should think about making a career move.
If you wouldn't have spewed garbage, I wouldn't have been able to pile on. Every one of these guys checks the charity box. For you to come in here and pretend it actually means something was really lame. 

squistion said:
Kneeling silently during the anthem should be treated the same as Rice knocking his fiancé unconscious in an elevator?
Yep. That is exactly what I said. Yep. Exactly. Good call! Way to go buddy! Woohooooo. You are really smart. So proud of you.  

Yep. That is exactly what I said. Yep. Exactly. Good call! Way to go buddy! Woohooooo. You are really smart. So proud of you.  
You compared people not supporting Reid's charity with people not supporting Rice's charity. 

Let's look at the actions of both Reid and Rice which led to people not supporting their respective charities:

1) Kneeling silently in protest during playing of the anthem

2) Spousal abuse

See a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
You compared people not supporting Reid's charity with people not supporting Rice's charity. 

Let's look at the actions of both Reid and Rice which led to people not supporting their respective charities:

2) Spousal abuse

See a difference?
No.

Rice hits his wife.  Sponsors don't want negative publicity and pull sponsorship.

Reid protest during anthem.  Sponsors don't want negative publicity and pull sponsorship. 

Actions have consequences.  They may be different actions but they can have the same consequence. 

2) Spousal abuse

See a difference?
Please don't explain the hot take to death.  It's perfect as it is.  Let it breathe.

2) Spousal abuse

See a difference?
Why would we look at a difference in the actions? I thought this was about the kids? Why do you care less about the kids Ray Rice was helping than the kids that Eric reid was helping? What did they ever do to you?

No.

Rice hits his wife.  Sponsors don't want negative publicity and pull sponsorship.

Reid protest during anthem.  Sponsors don't want negative publicity and pull sponsorship. 

Actions have consequences.  They may be different actions but they can have the same consequence. 
:mellow:

Reid was a backup on a crappy 49ers team.  Very few are going to roll the dice on a disruptive backup.

He was a good player prior to the protests though.  It seems like it’s difficult for these players to maintain their focus on football while simultaneously running social justice campaigns.  I guess that shouldn’t be too surprising.

Reid was a backup on a crappy 49ers team.  Very few are going to roll the dice on a disruptive backup.

He was a good player prior to the protests though.  It seems like it’s difficult for these players to maintain their focus on football while simultaneously running social justice campaigns.  I guess that’s shouldn’t be too surprising.
He would be a starter in Green Bay so hopefully the packers can get him at a nice discount. 

He was a good player prior to the protests though.  It seems like it’s difficult for these players to maintain their focus on football while simultaneously running social justice campaigns.  I guess that’s shouldn’t be too surprising.
Correlation does not imply causation.

Silently kneeling during the anthem for a couple minutes is hardly running a social justice campaign.

All that activism really ruined Malcolm Jenkins' season too.

I can't believe I've been ignoring this thread lately. I'm a hot take aficionado, and this is apparently a gold mine.

JuniorNB said:
I like the fact that Squizz seems to be glued to Twitter and posts relevant tweets in the political threads. To me, I like what he contributes. Sounds like he annoys you because you disagree with his politics so you want him gone. While that seems like a pretty weak-minded stance, you are certainly free to put him on ignore so he doesn't continue to throw your day off. 
No, I have no issue with his politics.  I disagree with his reporting of people and needless bumps of threads.  This thread has a lot of discussion on that.  His constant posting of articles/tweets without any actual commentary while annoying can be ignored. 

He’s good enough to be playing somewhere with a reasonable contract.  I’m not sure how the antics would be received in Green Bay though.  Maybe they’re OK with them.
What antics? He has said publically he will no longer participate in the anthem protests.

Eric Reid's bigger issue is he never lived up to the hype of a 1st round pick after year 1.  The 49ers have always been supportive, tolerant, whatever word you want to use for protests.  He's a complimentary player, but hasn't lived up to what they hoped he would be on the field.  

Mark Dresslar‏ @MarkDresslar 3h3 hours ago

If you don't understand why Colin Kaepernick isn't playing in the NFL today, then you don't know #### about football.

SloppyFirsts‏ @statsDude 8h8 hours ago

Eric Reid, Colin Kaepernick and other NFL players: "I am more than just a football player and want to be viewed as such." Those same guys: "When it comes to owners acquiring players, I just want to be viewed as a football player and nothing more than that."

Mark Dresslar‏ @MarkDresslar 3h3 hours ago

If you don't understand why Colin Kaepernick isn't playing in the NFL today, then you don't know #### about football.
Or perhaps Mr. Dresslar doesn't understand there is also a political element to this.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/eric-reid-colin-kaepernick-blackballed-protests-free-agency-players-coalition/1cezelienyzgy1ji55qek15ju0

NFL Players Coalition agrees: Eric Reid, Colin Kaepernick out of work for being 'outspoken'

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Devin McCourty, one of the faces of the NFL Players Coalition, does not mince words about Eric Reid, very definitely not a member. Reid is a free agent after two seasons of kneeling in support of former 49ers teammate Colin Kaepernick’s protest, and like with Kaepernick, teams are not touching him.

"Whether its about Kap or whether it’s about Eric Reid," the Patriots safety told Sporting News on Friday, "all the guys in the Coalition have said the same thing, that those guys deserve a job. And we truly believe like everyone else, it’s because of them being outspoken."

McCourty said that at Harvard Law School’s criminal justice reform symposium, attended by no fewer than five active Coalition members and several retired members, and others asked about it did agree. McCourty said the same to ESPN’s Outside the Lines the day before. There was no reason to deny it or tiptoe around it.

"I mean, we’re not going to sit back and say, ‘No, I just think it’s football,'" McCourty said. “We agree on that, and we speak on that. But we also make sure our goals, our focus on the community, is what you’re gonna hear the most about from us.

"But when you ask us, we’re very upfront and truthful about how we feel about that."

[...]

Master Tesfatsion‏Verified account @MasterTes 3h3 hours ago

The NFL has tweeted two Johnny Manziel stories since his workout at the University of San Diego on Thursday.

It hasn’t tweeted about Colin Kaepernick since August 2017, even as footage from a private workout surfaced last Thursday.

https://twitter.com/MasterTes/status/977542096931508225
 it must be cause Manziel is white and Kappernick is black. Very obvious

it must be cause Manziel is white and Kappernick is black. Very obvious
Actually, people haven't been saying the NFL tweets (or lack thereof) are in any way race related, but thanks for playing, though.

However it does suggest that past character issues or playing ability may not be the problem, while perhaps exercising free speech is.

Johnny Manziel was an admitted drug/alcohol addict and has committed domestic abuse. His career numbers are 7 TDs/7 INTs and has reportedly 12 teams looking at him. Meanwhile  Kaepernick, comparatively has a pretty clean background record, has career numbers of 72 TDs/30 INTs, and took his team to the Super Bowl with 0 teams expressing any interest.

Johnny Manziel‏ @JManziel2 Mar 24

This will probably cause an uproar, but I’m tired of the @Kaepernick7 vs myself comparisons and anger. Kap is doing amazing things right now changing lives and donating millions of dollars. His impact off the field from a societal standpoint is legendary and straight admirable.

Standing up for people who often don’t get heard and for a race that continually deals with problem after problem in this country for CENTURIES. This world we live in is absolutely crazy and I believe what he’s doing has an amazing impact.

Standing up for people who often don’t get heard and for a race that continually deals with problem after problem in this country for CENTURIES. This world we live in is absolutely crazy and I believe what he’s doing has an amazing impact.

In my opinion the guy still has a lot in the tank but it’s not my place to say what he wants to do with his career. All I can speak for is myself and trying to turn my life around from the depths it was in. God bless and have a great Saturday...

I rock with you @Kaepernick7 you’ve always been good to me and I appreciate that. All the best in your journey my friend wherever that takes you.

https://twitter.com/JManziel2/status/977602423773523969

Actually, people haven't been saying the NFL tweets (or lack thereof) are in any way race related, but thanks for playing, though.

However it does suggest that past character issues or playing ability may not be the problem, while perhaps exercising free speech is.

Johnny Manziel was an admitted drug/alcohol addict and has committed domestic abuse. His career numbers are 7 TDs/7 INTs and has reportedly 12 teams looking at him. Meanwhile  Kaepernick, comparatively has a pretty clean background record, has career numbers of 72 TDs/30 INTs, and took his team to the Super Bowl with 0 teams expressing any interest.
Manziel is just a more interesting story than a whipped guy trying to impress his girlfriend.

RG3 signs with the Ravens. I bet his girlfriend didn't call the owner a racist either.
Saw a recent interview with RGIII and the guy has his head on straight.  Said he was going to keep working hard, forget about the past, and keep his mouth shut and hope he gets a chance to get back in the NFL.  Good for him as he got his chance. Plus he is still young enough.

Saw a recent interview with RGIII and the guy has his head on straight.  Said he was going to keep working hard, forget about the past, and keep his mouth shut and hope he gets a chance to get back in the NFL.  Good for him as he got his chance. Plus he is still young enough.
Sure he does.

Why does this thread keep getting bumped? A trash QB who makes terrible decisions. What is the point on discussing this guy.

Texans decided that kaepernick had a substandard arm That is why they didnt want him according to the owner. 
Greg Rajan‏ @GregRajan 10h10 hours ago

Most disturbing take from the Bob McNair WSJ story may be that #Texans coaches allegedly didn't like how Colin Kaepernick threw the ball, but were copacetic with Tom Savage being their starter.

Users who are viewing this thread