What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (8 Viewers)

3 NFCCGs in a row, no rings. Theyve played better than their opponents to get there but not good enough to finish. THAT is whats soooo frustrating. But hey, at least hes not Jim Kelly...

3 NFCCGs in a row, no rings. Theyve played better than their opponents to get there but not good enough to finish. THAT is whats soooo frustrating. But hey, at least hes not Jim Kelly...
Is Jim Kelly a better QB if Scott Norwood makes the kick?

Riversco said:
BaBastage said:
Steve young made an interesting observation on Kaep this week on his KNBR show. Kaepernick took the super bowl down to a 4th quarter drive with time expiring... in his 10th start. And again in the Seahawks' NFC title game.
There are PLENTY of situations where you can point to Kapernick making plays and having a bright future, but its an awful idea for Steve Young to use the end of the Seahawks NFC title game as a Kapernick highlight reel and try to make him out to be a star. He threw two picks in his last two drives. That's terrible. The defense kept them in that game in the end, not Kapernick.
And lets also remember, he should have lost the Green Bay game, the guy on Green Bay dropped a walkaway Pick 6 right in his hands on the last drive.
Should've could've would've applies to every QB. You can drive yourself nuts if you subjected every QB in the history of the game with just one should've could've would've moment, in a single game. Defenders drop INTs and pick 6's all the time against some of the best QB's in the game.
I think that the point of bringing up the missed pick 6 in the Green Bay game was just to demonstrate his decision making in high pressure situations. I think that Kaep needs to protect the ball more and make less high risk throws.

Even the TD pass in the Seahawks game was an extremely high risk throw. The coverage was great, the window was small, and Kaep was on the run. It ended up being an awesome pass, but I don't want my QB trying to force that one in. It probably gets picked atleast as often as it is caught.

Riversco said:
BaBastage said:
Steve young made an interesting observation on Kaep this week on his KNBR show. Kaepernick took the super bowl down to a 4th quarter drive with time expiring... in his 10th start. And again in the Seahawks' NFC title game.
There are PLENTY of situations where you can point to Kapernick making plays and having a bright future, but its an awful idea for Steve Young to use the end of the Seahawks NFC title game as a Kapernick highlight reel and try to make him out to be a star. He threw two picks in his last two drives. That's terrible. The defense kept them in that game in the end, not Kapernick.
And lets also remember, he should have lost the Green Bay game, the guy on Green Bay dropped a walkaway Pick 6 right in his hands on the last drive.
Should've could've would've applies to every QB. You can drive yourself nuts if you subjected every QB in the history of the game with just one should've could've would've moment, in a single game. Defenders drop INTs and pick 6's all the time against some of the best QB's in the game.
I think that the point of bringing up the missed pick 6 in the Green Bay game was just to demonstrate his decision making in high pressure situations. I think that Kaep needs to protect the ball more and make less high risk throws.

Even the TD pass in the Seahawks game was an extremely high risk throw. The coverage was great, the window was small, and Kaep was on the run. It ended up being an awesome pass, but I don't want my QB trying to force that one in. It probably gets picked atleast as often as it is caught.
Yeah, you'd never want your young QB throwing a risky pass on the run under pressure.

Riversco said:
BaBastage said:
I think that the point of bringing up the missed pick 6 in the Green Bay game was just to demonstrate his decision making in high pressure situations. I think that Kaep needs to protect the ball more and make less high risk throws. Even the TD pass in the Seahawks game was an extremely high risk throw. The coverage was great, the window was small, and Kaep was on the run. It ended up being an awesome pass, but I don't want my QB trying to force that one in. It probably gets picked atleast as often as it is caught.
Yeah, you'd never want your young QB throwing a risky pass on the run under pressure.
That wasn't a risky pass, because (unlike typical Kaep throws) it was placed incredibly well, where only the WR had a shot at it. If only Kaep could place passes like that under pressure.

Riversco said:
BaBastage said:

Even that play was less risk than most of Kaep's. Montana put that extremely high. It had a 50% chance of being caught, 40% chance of sailing through the end zone, and only a small chance of a bad thing happening.

I'm not saying you can't throw on the run. I'm saying that Kaep needs to be wiser in a lot of situations. There are certain situations where it is OK to try a high risk throw, but you need to be aware of them. Russel Wilson was picked off a couple times this year on 3rd down long bombs. He threw it up for grabs and it got picked. It equated to a punt. It's a high risk throw, but the situation was OK for that throw.

BaBastage said:
Riversco said:
BaBastage said:
If you listened to the Steve Young broadcast, he had plenty of criticism of Kaepernick. His point was that it was unfair to blast him because he didn't make those two plays.

And I'd argue that Kaep's 130 yards of rushing helped keep them in the game too. Don't get me wrong, it was amazing the defense held Seattle to 3 points after the two 4th quarter turnovers, but Kaepernick did his part.
I don't see it as unfair at all. Kapernick is trying to reach the pinnacle of his profession. He was closing in on a super bowl appearance. When you are trying to be #1 in your field, everything should be fair game. If not then, when is it fair game?

If Kapernick is some college QB in division 1-AA somewhere, I would cut him a lot of slack. When he is leading his NFL team deep into the playoffs, looking at maybe winning hardware and getting compared to the all-time greats at what he does professionally, I don't cut him any slack.

One of the ways we do separate quarterbacks at the very top is how they perform in the 4th quarter, with everything on the line, with the season on the brink, and little time left. Kapernick threw 2 interceptions in that situation this time. Its very valid to criticize him for that.
I don't think anyone disagrees to a point. All we're doing here is putting a QB's very very short career as a starter into context.
All QBs have very short careers and very short sample sizes at this level. No QBs goes to 25 conference championship games. They get 1-2, some like Brady get 5+. And that's all we get to judge them on. Its a tough way to grade them, but they are all in the same boat.

Kapernick may never get that far in his career ever again, even if he becomes the next Steve Young.
Yeah, that's a possibility which makes Kaep's situation so unusual. Yet at the same time I don't blame him for the losses in the post season. I put that more on Harbaugh, which is a whole 'nother conversation. I agree that these opportunities don't come along often, and Kaep's situation for his age, lack of fundamental QB skills and experience worked against him on key plays.

There is also a possibility that he becomes a very good, more complete QB who keeps a lesser team in the future competitive as well. It's hard to tell if he is a franchise QB at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riversco said:
BaBastage said:
I think that the point of bringing up the missed pick 6 in the Green Bay game was just to demonstrate his decision making in high pressure situations. I think that Kaep needs to protect the ball more and make less high risk throws. Even the TD pass in the Seahawks game was an extremely high risk throw. The coverage was great, the window was small, and Kaep was on the run. It ended up being an awesome pass, but I don't want my QB trying to force that one in. It probably gets picked atleast as often as it is caught.
That wasn't a risky pass, because (unlike typical Kaep throws) it was placed incredibly well, where only the WR had a shot at it. If only Kaep could place passes like that under pressure.
Dude, watch the footage. Montana has no visibility on what's happening in the end zone (he's got a defender leaping in his face), and he heaves it up while leaning backwards. And at the time it was thrown, Clark was double-covered, with the Cowboys' best corner between him and Montana. Clark made a great cut, Walls reacted a beat late. The ball wound up in a great place but it was absolutely an extremely risky throw.

All good QBs make risky throws. Great ones score TDs on risky throws.

Riversco said:
BaBastage said:
Dude, watch the footage. Montana has no visibility on what's happening in the end zone (he's got a defender leaping in his face), and he heaves it up while leaning backwards. And at the time it was thrown, Clark was double-covered, with the Cowboys' best corner between him and Montana. Clark made a great cut, Walls reacted a beat late. The ball wound up in a great place but it was absolutely an extremely risky throw.

How do you know what Montana's visibility was?And really: telling anyone to watch the footage of one of the most famous plays of all time is ridiculous.

How do you know what Montana's visibility was?And really: telling anyone to watch the footage of one of the most famous plays of all time is ridiculous.
Joe was great but I haven't seen evidence of X-ray vision. And it's one of the most famous plays of all time because it was a risky throw. If Montana were sitting calmly in the pocket and Clark was wide open in the end zone, it wouldn't have the fame that it has.

Joe was great but I haven't seen evidence of X-ray vision. And it's one of the most famous plays of all time because it was a risky throw. If Montana were sitting calmly in the pocket and Clark was wide open in the end zone, it wouldn't have the fame that it has.
It was also 3rd down. Again, it's about time and place. That may have been a risky throw (although in most cases it sails through the end zone), but considering the down it was worth it.

If that throw was made on 1st and goal with two timeouts in your pocket and a minute left in the game then it would have been unnecessarily risky. Joe would have probably tossed it out of bounds in that case.

It was also 3rd down. Again, it's about time and place. That may have been a risky throw (although in most cases it sails through the end zone), but considering the down it was worth it.

If that throw was made on 1st and goal with two timeouts in your pocket and a minute left in the game then it would have been unnecessarily risky. Joe would have probably tossed it out of bounds in that case.
Kapernick's throw wasn't first and goal, it was first and 10 from the 18.

And Montana threw at least two balls on The Catch drive (not including the TD throw) which could have been intercepted. When you're playing against a top defense, you have to be willing to throw the ball into small windows. Unless you're Alex Smith, still trying to get kudos for throwing the ball away 8 years into his career.

Rotoworld:

Colin Kaepernick said he wants there to be a "balance" between his upcoming contract and the 49ers' ability to sign free agents.

It doesn't sound like Kaepernick is going to try to squeeze every dollar out of the 49ers in negotiations. "You want to be paid fairly for what you feel like you're doing in comparison to your peers," he said. "But at the same time, you have to realize, if we want to get Anquan Boldin back, if we want Donte Whitner to come back, we're going to have to make moves to get them back." In addition to those two unrestricted free agents, plenty of other core 49ers are eligible for extensions. Michael Crabtree, Aldon Smith and Mike Iupati will each be seeking monster paydays.

Source: Sacramento Bee

I don't know how anyone can call that that a risky throw. Montana saw Clark coming back and literally no one could have caught it besides him.

Rotoworld:

Colin Kaepernick admits he consciously decides to run more in the postseason.

Kaep has averaged 5.8 rushing attempts per game for his regular-season career, compared to 9.9 in the playoffs. "When you get to the postseason, it’s one-and-done, if you’re not winning," Kaepernick said. "So we’re going to do everything we can to try to win those games." Kaepernick was criticized for not scrambling enough during the regular season, but racked up 243 yards on 26 postseason carries (9.34 YPC). That was 46.4 percent of his regular-season total. Kaep is at his best when he mixes in a healthy amount of runs, but is wise to avoid gratuitous hits in September-December.

Source: CSN Bay Area

Rotoworld:

Kaep has averaged 5.8 rushing attempts per game for his regular-season career, compared to 9.9 in the playoffs. "When you get to the postseason, its one-and-done, if youre not winning," Kaepernick said. "So were going to do everything we can to try to win those games." Kaepernick was criticized for not scrambling enough during the regular season, but racked up 243 yards on 26 postseason carries (9.34 YPC). That was 46.4 percent of his regular-season total. Kaep is at his best when he mixes in a healthy amount of runs, but is wise to avoid gratuitous hits in September-December.

He's a better runner than he is passer so good call to run more.

Both of those quotes are from the KNBR Kaepernick podcast at http://www.knbr.com/common/page.php?pt=Podcast%3A+49ers+QB+Colin+Kaepernick+talks+49ers+season%2C+offseason+plans%2C+and+what%27s+next+for+SF&id=7153&is_corp=0

My favorite sound bite? "So, when do you get back to work for next year?"

"Monday."

:thumbup:
I listened for about 5 minutes, but Murph and Mac are just awful radio. They lead into something worse, Gary and Larry. KNBR outside of Tolbert sucks.

Rotoworld:

Kaep has averaged 5.8 rushing attempts per game for his regular-season career, compared to 9.9 in the playoffs. "When you get to the postseason, its one-and-done, if youre not winning," Kaepernick said. "So were going to do everything we can to try to win those games." Kaepernick was criticized for not scrambling enough during the regular season, but racked up 243 yards on 26 postseason carries (9.34 YPC). That was 46.4 percent of his regular-season total. Kaep is at his best when he mixes in a healthy amount of runs, but is wise to avoid gratuitous hits in September-December.

He's a better runner than he is passer so good call to run more.
There is something called "the regular season" that you're missing here. That along with the 11th grade.

Nice kid.

Great athlete.

Above average QB who like RGIII will be out of the league when they can no longer run at an elite level and their lack of passing ability isn't hidden by their threat to run .

You guys can post all the completion percentages for these type of QBs all day, they are irrelevant. The only reason they complete the majority of their passes is because they are temporarily a threat to run and it has very little to do with their ability to read a defense pre-snap.

cstu said:

I don't know how anyone can call that that a risky throw. Montana saw Clark coming back and literally no one could have caught it besides him.
Obviously, where it ended up no one else could have caught it. But there's no way, with the form he had on that throw, that he could have had good control of where it ended up.

And in case you'd forgotten, Montana had already thrown three interceptions that day.

Nice kid.

Great athlete.

Above average QB who like RGIII will be out of the league when they can no longer run at an elite level and their lack of passing ability isn't hidden by their threat to run .

You guys can post all the completion percentages for these type of QBs all day, they are irrelevant. The only reason they complete the majority of their passes is because they are temporarily a threat to run and it has very little to do with their ability to read a defense pre-snap.
I agree with this. At the same time, he might be able to run at an elite level into his 30s. That is a long time from now. Over the next 5 years, he is in the mix with Newton and Luck as the young, good QBs, with running bonuses who I would want to own in a dynasty league.

Nice kid.

Great athlete.

I agree with this. At the same time, he might be able to run at an elite level into his 30s. That is a long time from now. Over the next 5 years, he is in the mix with Newton and Luck as the young, good QBs, with running bonuses who I would want to own in a dynasty league.
Kaep's overall regular season number's are close to Wilson's numbers also as far as passing. These QB's actually create offense more than people realize. Defenses really have to adjust to them. If they keep improving their overall skills fundamentally, mentally as well as physically, their is a huge amount of possibility there.

Nice kid.

Great athlete.

Kaep's overall regular season number's are close to Wilson's numbers also as far as passing. These QB's actually create offense more than people realize. Defenses really have to adjust to them. If they keep improving their overall skills fundamentally, mentally as well as physically, their is a huge amount of possibility there.
Lol. It's like talking to a brick wall.

Nice kid.

Great athlete.

Lol. It's like talking to a brick wall.
It's be great if you could pass a thought through that firewall in your brain too.

Rotoworld:

Profootballtalk reports extending Colin Kaepernick's contract is among the 49ers' offseason priorities.
It's not a surprise. Due just $973,766 in 2014, Kaep is wildly underpaid going into the final year of his rookie contract, but the 49ers would do well to get out in front of the situation. Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson and Robert Griffin III will all be eligible for extensions in 2015, sending quarterback prices further skyward. Coming off an uneven season, Kaep's value also isn't quite as sky high as it was after last year's Super Bowl. Kaepernick isn't going to be cheap, but he's not going to get any cheaper.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Rotoworld:

The San Jose Mercury News reports that "it sounds like" $15-16 million annually is the "floor" in a potential Colin Kaepernick-49ers contract extension.

That would put Kaepernick in the top-ten at his position in terms of annual average. The 49ers and Kaepernick's representation met at the Combine over the weekend, and all indications are that talks have gotten off on the right foot. There's still a long way to go in these negotiations, but both sides have expressed a desire to get something done before the season. Kaepernick is currently scheduled to earn just $973,766 in the final year of his rookie deal.

Source: San Jose Mercury News

Rotoworld:

Colin Kaepernick had an accuracy rating of 54.6 percent under pressure last season, the worst mark in the NFL.
Kaepernick was also sacked on 20.2 percent of snaps when under duress, the fourth-worst rate among starters. 49ers president Paraag Marathe admitted that advanced stats will "play a big role" in Kaepernick's contract extension, where he's reportedly seeking a deal worth $15-16 million annually. The two sides have begun preliminary talks and are expected to get a deal done before the season.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Colin Kaepernick had an accuracy rating of 54.6 percent under pressure last season, the worst mark in the NFL.

Kaepernick was also sacked on 20.2 percent of snaps when under duress, the fourth-worst rate among starters. 49ers president Paraag Marathe admitted that advanced stats will "play a big role" in Kaepernick's contract extension, where he's reportedly seeking a deal worth $15-16 million annually. The two sides have begun preliminary talks and are expected to get a deal done before the season.

This strikes me as negotiating tactics than anything else. Played a big chunk of the year without Crabtree. Take Kaepernick off the niners and they are nowhere near as good and they know it. They just want to pay him as little as possible.

Gandalf said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

This strikes me as negotiating tactics than anything else. Played a big chunk of the year without Crabtree. Take Kaepernick off the niners and they are nowhere near as good and they know it. They just want to pay him as little as possible.
It may be tactics, but it backs up what we all see with our eyes too.

Gandalf said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Sure but it really doesn't matter. SF needs to lock him up. I mean where do you think the team heads without Kaep? With him they are a Super Bowl contender. That much we know. And he should improve with more experience in the league.

Gandalf said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Sure but it really doesn't matter. SF needs to lock him up. I mean where do you think the team heads without Kaep? With him they are a Super Bowl contender. That much we know. And he should improve with more experience in the league.
Honestly, I think he is just a guy. With an above average QB, and the other talent on that team, I think they are better than today. In other words, a whole lot of QBs could take them to a title with higher likelihood than Kaep.

Gandalf said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Honestly, I think he is just a guy. With an above average QB, and the other talent on that team, I think they are better than today. In other words, a whole lot of QBs could take them to a title with higher likelihood than Kaep.
Kaepernick is more than just a guy but less than a complete QB. I do agree that it is fallacy to think that he is the only answer in San Francisco. Let's not forget that the 49ers got to the NFC championship game with Alex Smith in 2011. The greater problem for this team is age and the FO/coaching drama. If Harbaugh leaves after this year I would think all bets are off for Kaepernick as the starting QB and San Francisco could be looking at a major overhaul.

Nice kid.

Great athlete.

Above average QB who will be out of the league when they can no longer run at an elite level and their lack of passing ability isn't hidden by their threat to run .

Are you describing Steve Young?

Nice kid.

Great athlete.

Above average QB who will be out of the league when they can no longer run at an elite level and their lack of passing ability isn't hidden by their threat to run .

No, Steve Young is also highly intelligent.

He's also 26 and played all year without his best weapon. And just a guy means to me an average QB. Maybe we have different standards. I think kaep has potential to develop into one of the best QBs in the league. So I would sign him to a good deal.

He's also 26 and played all year without his best weapon. And just a guy means to me an average QB. Maybe we have different standards. I think kaep has potential to develop into one of the best QBs in the league. So I would sign him to a good deal.
His accuracy is below average, and he struggles to make good throws under pressure. How does that make him above average?Perhaps you could point out examples of why you think he is above average?

So you think he is below average? Really? I mean I don't have film to send you but when I watch him I see a player who can win with his feet or arm. He has taken his team deep into the playoffs his first 2 years. He seems really fast when he run and also to have a cannon for an arm. I dunno I guess I just think kaep is really good and a big part of the ninety offensive success.

Okay i lied...I do have film. He looks pretty good in this YouTube compilation.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1QtZbOvGpqk

So you think he is below average? Really? I mean I don't have film to send you but when I watch him I see a player who can win with his feet or arm. He has taken his team deep into the playoffs his first 2 years. He seems really fast when he run and also to have a cannon for an arm. I dunno I guess I just think kaep is really good and a big part of the ninety offensive success.
He struggles to make basic throws. He makes bad decisions under pressure. He doesn't move the chains the way above average QBs do.

Do I think he's below average? No, I think he's average. At best.

Do you think he's above average? Really? Once again, why do you think he's above average? How many QBs do you rank above him?

How many do I rank above him? Real nfl or FF? And if FF, redraft or dynasty?

In dynasty, my rankings are:

Rodgers

Luck

Kaepernick

Newton

RGIII

Wilson

Brees

What can I say, I like QBs that can run and have cannon arms.

Nice kid.

Great athlete.

No, Steve Young is also highly intelligent.
Have you seen him broadcasting?

How many do I rank above him? Real nfl or FF? And if FF, redraft or dynasty?
In the real NFL.
Real nfl is tougher. So that would essentially be more like redraft. And one where leadership and accuracy are more valuable for sure. So I can see what you are saying about kaep's accuracy bothering you. Hmmm... Then my rankings change.

Real nfl:

Brady - sorry I can't help it. If he just had weapons

Manning

Brees

Wilson

Luck

Kaepernick

I see your point though. My rankings change if I am drafting a QB for the real nfl. That said, I do think kaep has potential to be the best in the league. Maybe he won't ever be the most accurate but he does have other elite skills.

Let me ask you this? If kaep walks, who do you see SF replacing him with? I mean it would seem like he's better than any QB they could get in the draft or free agent.

He struggles to make basic throws. He makes bad decisions under pressure. He doesn't move the chains the way above average QBs do.

Do I think he's below average? No, I think he's average. At best.

Do you think he's above average? Really? Once again, why do you think he's above average? How many QBs do you rank above him?
FINALLY I have found another guy on this board who knows football. Copernicus is yet another guy playing out of position.

Users who are viewing this thread