What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

CSN Bay Area reports the 49ers would like to hammer out Colin Kaepernick's contract extension before the beginning of training camp.
The 49ers currently have just $592,000 in cap space, but will earn another $6.6 million when Carlos Rogers' deal comes off the books on June 1. Typically extensions lower cap numbers, but that won't be the case with Kaep this season, who's due just $973,766 in the final year of his rookie contract.

Source: CSN Bay Area

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

CSN Bay Area reports the 49ers would like to hammer out Colin Kaepernick's contract extension before the beginning of training camp.
The 49ers currently have just $592,000 in cap space, but will earn another $6.6 million when Carlos Rogers' deal comes off the books on June 1. Typically extensions lower cap numbers, but that won't be the case with Kaep this season, who's due just $973,766 in the final year of his rookie contract.

Source: CSN Bay Area
Man I really appreciate your updates.......But whenever I see you bump a thread of one of my Dynasty Players, I get a lump in my throat.

6 years and 100 million

This seems cheap to me

**ETA**

@RapSheet: For #49ers QB Colin Kaepernick: Its a 6-year extension worth up to $126M with $60M guaranteed, source says. Under contract through 2020

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaepernick gets a six year extension through 2020 for $110+ million.

Details TBA, but reportedly the contract is heavily guaranteed.

* Schefter announced on NFL Live, others mentioned $61 million guaranteed, which would be the highest among QBs (Ryan $59 million?).

* Schefter announced on NFL Live, others mentioned $61 million guaranteed, which would be the highest among QBs (Ryan $59 million?).
A lot of cash for a guy that threw for 58% completion percentage. :shrug:

Maybe they are paying for future growth, but I see a great athlete, yet a QB that struggles to read defenses.

6 years and 100 million

This seems cheap to me

**ETA**

@RapSheet: For #49ers QB Colin Kaepernick: Its a 6-year extension worth up to $126M with $60M guaranteed, source says. Under contract through 2020
I see it the other way, that's a lot of money to guarantee to a QB who regressed last year.

I'm interested to see the details and find out if it's essentially a 4 years/$60M deal.

Last year he had Boldin and Davis for most of the year.

This season, he starts the season with Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Ellington, Davis.

6 years and 100 million

This seems cheap to me

**ETA**

I see it the other way, that's a lot of money to guarantee to a QB who regressed last year.

I'm interested to see the details and find out if it's essentially a 4 years/$60M deal.
This regressed stuff is nonsense. Guy was playing with one arm behind his back with the crap at receiver he dealt with. Kap carried the team down the stretch and in the playoffs...again.

Dude is legit.

Big jump coming this year.

Maybe they are paying for future growth, but I see a great athlete, yet a QB that struggles to read defenses.
Running QB's are tough to gauge because they bring so more more to the table than a pocket passer. Cam is a horrible QB if you just judge him just on his passing but his running makes him very effective.

Kaep also had a lot of drops last year (26) and if his receivers had caught the ball at the same rate as Russell's did he'd have a 61% completion rate.

I wonder if the Packers think he is worth the money or regressed. :)

In six career playoff games, 7/5 TD/INT ratio not that impressive, but 507 rushing yards and 4 TDs is insane.

Against GB in two playoff games - 279 rushing yards and 2 TDs.

6 years and 100 million

This seems cheap to me

**ETA**

This regressed stuff is nonsense. Guy was playing with one arm behind his back with the crap at receiver he dealt with. Kap carried the team down the stretch and in the playoffs...again.

Dude is legit.

I feel like defenses figured him out. Blaming injuries for regression is weak sauce. He has trouble reading defenses, he locks his WR1 down and if he isn't open he takes off.

Russell Wilson was down his top two WR's for most the year and had multiple offensive line injuries yet he performed. Good QBs survive injuries to players......

Running QB's are tough to gauge because they bring so more more to the table than a pocket passer. Cam is a horrible QB if you just judge him just on his passing but his running makes him very effective.

Kaep also had a lot of drops last year (26) and if his receivers had caught the ball at the same rate as Russell's did he'd have a 61% completion rate.
Takes two people to complete a pass. Maybe with a little more touch on the ball some of those 26 would have been caught. His numbers are his numbers. Anything else is an excuse for failure.

6 years and 100 million

This seems cheap to me

**ETA**

I initially thought the deal was 6 for 100 and that seemed low to me

The 60 guaranteed and if the deal is in fact 126 than its a bad deal IMO

I'm not a fan of his at all

6 years and 100 million

This seems cheap to me

**ETA**

Dude is legit.

I feel like defenses figured him out. Blaming injuries for regression is weak sauce. He has trouble reading defenses, he locks his WR1 down and if he isn't open he takes off.

Russell Wilson was down his top two WR's for most the year and had multiple offensive line injuries yet he performed. Good QBs survive injuries to players......
I am shocked you would come to this conclusion.

6 years and 100 million

This seems cheap to me

**ETA**

Dude is legit.

We have a different definition of 'carried'. As the end of the season he played well but he had some easy ones like the Redskins, Bucs and Falcons.

In the playoffs:

The Packers defense was terrible and he completed just 53% of his passes, though he did run all over them for 7/98.

Then it was the 49ers run defense that completely shut down the Panthers run game (13/33 for their RB's). Again, Kaep completely just 53% of his passes, but had just 8/15/1 rushing.

Again the Seahawks he ran the ball great (11/130) but complete 58% of his passes and through 2 INT's in the loss.

6 years and 100 million

This seems cheap to me

**ETA**

Dude is legit.

We have a different definition of 'carried'. As the end of the season he played well but he had some easy ones like the Redskins, Bucs and Falcons.

In the playoffs:

The Packers defense was terrible and he completed just 53% of his passes, though he did run all over them for 7/98.

Then it was the 49ers run defense that completely shut down the Panthers run game (13/33 for their RB's). Again, Kaep completely just 53% of his passes, but had just 8/15/1 rushing.

Again the Seahawks he ran the ball great (11/130) but complete 58% of his passes and through 2 INT's in the loss.
though

but

but

:shrug:

A lot of cash for a guy that threw for 58% completion percentage. :shrug: Maybe they are paying for future growth, but I see a great athlete, yet a QB that struggles to read defenses.

Takes two people to complete a pass. Maybe with a little more touch on the ball some of those 26 would have been caught. His numbers are his numbers. Anything else is an excuse for failure.
Since the Seahawks are the best at everything in the history of the NFL, you should be comfortable with their having superior WR depth. Boldin is better than anybody SEA had without Harvin, but it would be better to have Tate, Baldwin and Kearse than Boldin and no other WR.

Davis is a great TE, but that is still just two weapons, SEA also had a viable Zach Miller.

A lot of cash for a guy that threw for 58% completion percentage. :shrug: Maybe they are paying for future growth, but I see a great athlete, yet a QB that struggles to read defenses.

Since the Seahawks are the best at everything in the history of the NFL, you should be comfortable with their having superior WR depth. Boldin is better than anybody SEA had without Harvin, but it would be better to have Tate, Baldwin and Kearse than Boldin and no other WR.

Davis is a great TE, but that is still just two weapons, SEA also had a viable Zach Miller.
Although you try to dismiss me with your first statement, I'll play as typically you are a little more classy.......just last year before people called the hawks receivers pedestrian, plenty also said they thought they couldn't win with the WR's they had especially when Harvin and Rice were down. If at the beginning of last year you gave people the choice of Boldin, Davis, and 49ers WR crew or Tate, Baldwin, Miller, and crew people would have taken the 49ers. :shrug: If you swapped Wilson for Kaep I would argue Tate, Baldwin and Miller wouldn't look as attractive to you. Wilson makes them better the same way all good QBs make their WR core better.

Not being dismissive, just recognizing you are the biggest SEA honk (the classy remark is ironic given the shrill kiss the ring shtick :) ). I do happen to think SEA had superior WR depth last year and it wasn't close. I'm surprised. The MUST win debate circuit is evidently more primal than the SEA is the awesomest at everything circuit. But by putting down the SEA WRs, that pumps up Wilson, which makes Kaepernick look worse in comparison. And that is what its really all about in this thread.

If Tate was a nothing that was purely a creation of greatest QB in the history of the NFL Wilson, it seems unlikely DET would have signed him to the contract they did.

Flip your thought experiment around. Which SF WR would you rather have after Boldin (with Crabtree out), than WRs like Tate, Baldwin and Kearse.

* We don't need to think of this in such a binary and black and white way. There are a spectrum or continuum of possibilities beyond Wilson's WRs are terrible but propped up by his awesomeness, and SF has great WR depth after Boldin but were dragged down by Kaepernick's terribleness. Those are caricatures of positions.

If Wilson is a wizard that turns nothings into dangerous WRs (that would conversely turn into pumpkins without Wilson), why sign Baldwin to an extension? They could just grab another in a stream of free agents, and slap any old WR in there with Wilson at QB. Is it possible Carroll is higher on Baldwin than you?

** When Kearse scored in the Super Bowl, that was a great play, right? Wilson didn't break the 2-3 tackles to get in the end zone. Do we really think A.J. Jenkins or Jonathan Baldwin make that play if Wilson had thrown it to them?

6 years and 100 million

This seems cheap to me

**ETA**

Dude is legit.

In the playoffs:

:goodposting:

Good for Kapernick, but I just don't think he's worth that type of money. I know the 49ers think he is, but man, that's an awful lot of loot for someone who is good, but not great. But then again, someone's paying Joe Flacco a ridiculous amount of money for average QB play.

Smart clause in his contract:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Colin Kaepernick specifically requested his deal allow 49ers flexibility to negotiate extensions with players such as WR Michael Crabtree.

The way contracts escalate every year, it could look like a bargain as soon as this year. Does anybody not expect him to do better with Crabtree from the beginning of the season and Stevie Johnson?

There is some risk, but what was the option? Let him walk, and completely hit the reset button on the position?

6 years and 100 million

This seems cheap to me

**ETA**

This regressed stuff is nonsense. Guy was playing with one arm behind his back with the crap at receiver he dealt with. Kap carried the team down the stretch and in the playoffs...again.Dude is legit.

I feel like defenses figured him out. Blaming injuries for regression is weak sauce. He has trouble reading defenses, he locks his WR1 down and if he isn't open he takes off. Russell Wilson was down his top two WR's for most the year and had multiple offensive line injuries yet he performed. Good QBs survive injuries to players......
I am shocked you would come to this conclusion.
:lmao: Is there a thread this guy doesn't ruin?

I don't understand why anyone thinks hes worth that kind of money.

This is just as bad as Flaccos contract, if not worse.

I think the Niners have hamstrung themselves for the next few years regarding salary cap. I don't think Kap was worth near that amount. Only time will tell, but this may mark a downward spiral for the Niners.

Alex Smith had a better W-L record with the Niners under Harbaugh than Kap did..... just sayin'.

Although you try to dismiss me with your first statement, I'll play as typically you are a little more classy.......just last year before people called the hawks receivers pedestrian, plenty also said they thought they couldn't win with the WR's they had especially when Harvin and Rice were down. If at the beginning of last year you gave people the choice of Boldin, Davis, and 49ers WR crew or Tate, Baldwin, Miller, and crew people would have taken the 49ers. :shrug: If you swapped Wilson for Kaep I would argue Tate, Baldwin and Miller wouldn't look as attractive to you. Wilson makes them better the same way all good QBs make their WR core better.
Just wait, Seattle will have to make a similar contract decision with Wilson in a year or 2. Will they also mortgage their future to retain an athletic, mobile QB who only puts up moderate passing numbers?

I'm sure the Niner fans hope so ;)

I don't understand why anyone thinks hes worth that kind of money.
He's not a starting caliber QB? OK.
I didn't realize qualifying to start for a team made you a top 5 contract player, with the most guaranteed money.
Any decent young starter from here on out is getting $100m, especially with the cap jumping. That's just how it is.
Glad the NFL spent so long trying to squelch rookie contracts so they could immediately begin overpaying every game managing QB that makes it deep in the playoffs on a good team.

Just wait, Seattle will have to make a similar contract decision with Wilson in a year or 2. Will they also mortgage their future to retain an athletic, mobile QB who only puts up moderate passing numbers?

It cracks me up that this is what the SF fans concern themselves with: Not if this was a horrible deal for SF, but rather what they hope this does to Seattle's decisions.

Glad the NFL spent so long trying to squelch rookie contracts so they could immediately begin overpaying every game managing QB that makes it deep in the playoffs on a good team.
As crazy as $20M a year to a guy who has played a year and a half is, it's way better than the old system.

It cracks me up that this is what the SF fans concern themselves with: Not if this was a horrible deal for SF, but rather what they hope this does to Seattle's decisions.
Where did a Niner fan say this?

Where did a Niner fan say this?
ninersnation.com for one, but this has been the mantra (or the thought that the Seahawks have no cap space) for a while now. To be fair, that last part has been many misinformed fans, not just SF fans.

You guys act as if the 49ers had any choice in the manner. This is something 32 out of 32 teams would have done. Its the nature of the beast in the NFL. If you have a good QB, you gotta pay him mega bucks. As a 49er fan, im very happy they locked him up.

shadyridr said:
You guys act as if the 49ers had any choice in the manner. This is something 32 out of 32 teams would have done.
Yes, they would have.

Here are contract details.

Technically, the deal has $61 million guaranteed, even though $6 million of the guaranteed salary could evaporate (more on that later). Either way, only $13.073 million is guaranteed at signing. It comes in the form of a $12.328 million signing bonus, a base salary of $645,000, and a workout bonus of $100,000.

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

The base salary for 2015 is $12.4 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2015.

For 2016, the base salary is $13.9 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2016.

For 2017, the base salary is $16.5 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2017.

For 2018, the base salary is $17 million, $5.2 million of which is guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2018.

The non-guaranteed base salary for 2019 is $18.8 million, and the non-guaranteed base salary for 2020 is $21 million.

In each year from 2015 through 2020, however, there’s a catch. A big one. The total payout potentially de-escalates by $2 million per year, with up to $12 million potentially going away.

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro. If he satisfies the requirement in 2014, the full $12 million remains. If he fails in 2014 but succeeds in 2015, $10 million stays. If he does it for the first time in 2016, $8 million remains. If he does it for the first time in 2017, $6 million stays — and so on until 2019, when if he satisfies the requirement that year for the first time $2 million stays in the deal for 2010.

It’s a convoluted way to pump up the base value of the deal artificially, allowing Kaepernick and his agents to claim that the deal is better than it will be, unless he satisfies the requirements to stop the de-escalator this year.

The contract also includes, starting in 2015, a whopping $2 million per year in per-game roster bonuses, an amount that one source characterized as “massive” in comparison to similar deals. It means that, for every game Kaepernick misses due to injury after the 2014 season, he loses $125,000.

Starting in 2015, $400,000 per year is tied to workout bonuses, which adds up to $2.4 million of the base value.

The contract also requires Kaepernick to purchase, with after-tax dollars, a disability policy that pays the 49ers $20 million if he suffers a career-ending injury.

As one source put it, Kaepernick can feel good about the deal because he has a lot more guaranteed money today than he had yesterday. But the same source also added that the 49ers are nevertheless “thrilled” with the contract, which allows them to control Kaepernick’s rights for seven years and to move on after any of the next six seasons, if they ultimately decide that Kaepernick is more like the guy who struggled at times during the 2013 regular season and less like the guy who found the gas pedal in the playoffs.

If they keep him, the average payout will be low in comparison to other franchise quarterbacks, and the difference will become glaring as other franchise quarterbacks get new deals under a salary cap that is expected to continue to spike.

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.
This makes the contract much less ridiculous, so I guess the Ravens maintain their deathgrip on the worst QB contract in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread