What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (3 Viewers)

While Kaep looked good, it is a very small sample size. Obviously a good QB of the future can start out with a good game, but so can some random mediocre to bad QB like Kolb, Leinart, and Henne. Not to mention that once there is more film on a young QB, sometimes they regress quite a bit (Newton, Freeman). I think Harbaugh said they will go with the hot hand to throw off NO's planning, since they need to spend a little time focusing on each QB. I feel like Smith will be allowed to start the rest of the year, with maybe a few more plays going to Kaepernick than there were before Smith got injured. Now Harbaugh will be blamed for every loss because he played the wrong player (kind of like fantasy football). Play Smith and lose? Half the fans would blame him for not playing Kaepernick. Play Kaepernick and lose? Still blame from half of the fans. Plus, with all the new emphasis on concussion safety, it sets poor precedent for someone to lose their job by obeying the new rules. Smith could have probably stayed in the game and played this week if he hid the symptoms.
Well he certainly has motive to hide them now, doesn't he?So what is the story on Smith?

Are the 9ers playing coy with the concussion results? It sounds like Smith was good to go until the last day vs the Bears.

Is the idea to keep the Saints guessing in prepping for two completely different QBs and they really are just going with Smith?

It looks like he'll have two available quarterbacks for the game, as well. Harbaugh says he believes Alex Smith will be cleared for contact by the end of the week.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000098571/article/jim-harbaugh-alex-smith-should-be-cleared-this-week
He's going to wish that he had hid them, that's for sure. He was playing fine, so no one would have noticed if he hadn't volunteered the information himself.Look, I understand the reasons to stick with Smith. He's very safe and doesn't make many mistakes. He can be very accurate and at times even dynamic (see last year's divisional playoff against the Saints). But I also can't forget 1 pass for 3 yards to our wide receivers in last year's NFC Championship Game. People are acting like the Kapper is the only risk here. I would argue that there's a huge risk that Smith has another one of "those" games in the playoffs this year where he converts 1 third down all game and we lose because a ball bounces the wrong way. Sure, the Kapper is a risk too, but at least he comes with a ton of upside potential as well. And if we find ourselves down 14 in the NFC Championship Game this year to the Pack, from what little I've seen, I can already say I'd rather have Kaepernick back there to pull off the comeback.
It wasn't that long ago when Smith started to look like he was regressing back into "WE WANT CARR!" mode. Fans were even booing him like they did that game. Those Boos IMO will be always in his head. There are times when he plays like they are, and there were a few games when the offense looked totally confused, even during the game where he was 19 of 20, where the offense went into some real bad 3rd down situations (one where they had a delay of game, I think a false start along with it, then a sack on a 5 step drop that was over as soon as the ball was snapped). His stat line is more smoke and mirrors than what the real passing game is. They are still near the bottom in passing yards, and still poor on 3rd down. Kaep can have games like that too. But he doesn't have the past baggage in his head like Smith has. What can make Smith's head worse is the expectation of the offense Kaep already has established. The bar has been raised in the offense Monday night. If Smith goes out and runs it as well or better than Kaep did then there is no discussion anymore of who should start the rest of the way. The 49ers have a loaded expensive team (they are fast reaching the ceiling of the Salary Cap, with little cash to spare) that has a lot of weapons at any QBs disposal. If Kaep can take command of that offense already and cause a small controversy, than that says more about Smith than anything I can post.

Look, I understand the reasons to stick with Smith. He's very safe and doesn't make many mistakes. He can be very accurate and at times even dynamic (see last year's divisional playoff against the Saints). But I also can't forget 1 pass for 3 yards to our wide receivers in last year's NFC Championship Game. People are acting like the Kapper is the only risk here. I would argue that there's a huge risk that Smith has another one of "those" games in the playoffs this year where he converts 1 third down all game and we lose because a ball bounces the wrong way. Sure, the Kapper is a risk too, but at least he comes with a ton of upside potential as well. And if we find ourselves down 14 in the NFC Championship Game this year to the Pack, from what little I've seen, I can already say I'd rather have Kaepernick back there to pull off the comeback.
It's not really fair to dismiss how great Alex was in the Saints game and focus on his downside. That Saints game was incredible. If that's the upside of a quarterback it's nothing to sneeze at.
Are we back to one game sample size? Just wanted to check with a *cough cough* REAL 49er fan. :rolleyes:

Look, I understand the reasons to stick with Smith. He's very safe and doesn't make many mistakes. He can be very accurate and at times even dynamic (see last year's divisional playoff against the Saints). But I also can't forget 1 pass for 3 yards to our wide receivers in last year's NFC Championship Game. People are acting like the Kapper is the only risk here. I would argue that there's a huge risk that Smith has another one of "those" games in the playoffs this year where he converts 1 third down all game and we lose because a ball bounces the wrong way. Sure, the Kapper is a risk too, but at least he comes with a ton of upside potential as well. And if we find ourselves down 14 in the NFC Championship Game this year to the Pack, from what little I've seen, I can already say I'd rather have Kaepernick back there to pull off the comeback.
It's not really fair to dismiss how great Alex was in the Saints game and focus on his downside. That Saints game was incredible. If that's the upside of a quarterback it's nothing to sneeze at.
Are we back to one game sample size? Just wanted to check with a *cough cough* REAL 49er fan. :rolleyes:
You just used a one game sample size to say that Alex Smith was beginning to regress earlier in the season. :lmao:

You just used a one game sample size to say that Alex Smith was beginning to regress earlier in the season. :lmao:
I think I used the "WE WANT CARR" Boo game as a reference there funny guy. Or did you watch that game?

I think I used the "WE WANT CARR" Boo game as a reference there funny guy. Or did you watch that game?
You posted a link as your source and the title of the article at said link is "Is there something wrong with Alex Smith? – a one game analysis"

You posted a link as your source and the title of the article at said link is "Is there something wrong with Alex Smith? – a one game analysis"
Yeah, I think that was after the Giants game. You know, the team they played after the Saints last postseason, where they completed only one pass against NYG. How is that sample size now?

Here's a better sample size.

The 49ers have a .800 winning percentage with Smith at QB under Harbaugh. Way to pick up on the two bad games Smith has had in that timespan though. :thumbup:

Here's something else I've been thinking. I agree that a QB controversy is not the best thing for Smith mental game. That's another reason I think it's best to go with Alex right now. The 49ers are in a better situation if they start Smith right now and he struggles than if they start Kaep right now and he struggles. Starting Smith right now, you basically have nothing to lose since you have a great backup in Kaep.

But if they go the reverse path and they start Kaep now and he struggles once defenses catch up to his game, who knows where Smith's head will be if they need to go back to him further down the road. And by "further down the road" I mean the playoffs.

:lmao:

Here's a better sample size. The 49ers have a .800 winning percentage with Smith at QB under Harbaugh. Way to pick up on the two bad games Smith has had in that timespan though. :thumbup: Here's something else I've been thinking. I agree that a QB controversy is not the best thing for Smith mental game. That's another reason I think it's best to go with Alex right now. The 49ers are in a better situation if they start Smith right now and he struggles than if they start Kaep right now and he struggles. Starting Smith right now, you basically have nothing to lose since you have a great backup in Kaep. But if they go the reverse path and they start Kaep now and he struggles once defenses catch up to his game, who knows where Smith's head will be if they need to go back to him further down the road. And by "further down the road" I mean the playoffs.
I don't think anybody can tell me wins are a Smith stat, especially since quite a few 49er wins under Harbaugh have donut holes as far as passing TD's (like this season against NYJ, where Smith wasn't that much better than Sanchez), and are still near the bottom in passing yards. Last season they won 5 games with donut holes for passing TDs. They won several with just 1 passing TD. This in a season where Smith took 44 sacks, ten less than the previous high water mark of Mike Martz's offense with JTO and Shaun Hill. Taking 44 sacks in Roman's offense is a good way to keep that INT ratio down too. Add the defensive T/G ratio in there also. As well as Akers being the leading scorer....Earlier this season they tried to shoehorn Kaep in a few plays with Smith starting that disrupted Smith's rhythm. If Smith is this mentally fragile after being the starter for the 49ers since 2005 (save one and a half seasons injured, or a season where Shaun Hill got the nod over Smith to start the season) then that's a huge problem going forward. Already Harbaugh has messed with his head by going after Peyton. But that's the NFL. Smith is damn fortunate to have a NFL franchise hold onto him as long as they have, and now has the coaching, playbook, defense, run game, and weapons at WR that makes a whole lot of QBs salivate (except Peyton I guess). Despite all this, the 49ers are still looking for the QBOTF. It's 49er football finally. The team that had both Joe Montana and Steve Young on the same team. Smith's mental game since Harbaugh is "not to screw it up". Either that comes from Harbaugh, or it's just coded into Smith's head knowing that this is it for him in SF. Now that everyone has seen a second year QB out of college go in and run this offense with ease (in just one game but still, even the players got excited over how the offense was rolling) and not miss Smith at all, the next game Smith will play has the expectation for him higher. That's just how it is in SF. That's how high the bar is there.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:
You put the suit on Bubba. I'm just making sure the knot in your tie is perfect.

Here's a better sample size. The 49ers have a .800 winning percentage with Smith at QB under Harbaugh. Way to pick up on the two bad games Smith has had in that timespan though. :thumbup: Here's something else I've been thinking. I agree that a QB controversy is not the best thing for Smith mental game. That's another reason I think it's best to go with Alex right now. The 49ers are in a better situation if they start Smith right now and he struggles than if they start Kaep right now and he struggles. Starting Smith right now, you basically have nothing to lose since you have a great backup in Kaep. But if they go the reverse path and they start Kaep now and he struggles once defenses catch up to his game, who knows where Smith's head will be if they need to go back to him further down the road. And by "further down the road" I mean the playoffs.
I wouldn't worry about Smith's state of mind. He's played with a seeming fire in his belly since the "We want Carr" chants. He was treated with indifference while we were showing interest in Peyton this offseason. There are things to like about his play and there are some legitimate complaints. I don't think his mental state is one of the criticisms.

I wouldn't worry about Smith's state of mind. He's played with a seeming fire in his belly since the "We want Carr" chants. He was treated with indifference while we were showing interest in Peyton this offseason. There are things to like about his play and there are some legitimate complaints. I don't think his mental state is one of the criticisms.
Yeah but I wonder what his breaking point is. Losing your job when your team is winning, you have a great QB rating, and you really havent done anything wrong would suck for anyone and if they bench him I wouldn't be surprised if his mind started drifting towards where he'll be playing next year.

BTW, thanks for the credit on the subtitle. Now you can step out for the Big Dance. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Just saving folks the trouble of disagreeing with you when it's clear you have every answer and everyone else is wrong and much stupider than you. If you could wrap up your next monologue and history lesson before we get to the next page so this thread can get back on track that would be great, mmmkay? Thanks in advance, sport. :thumbup:

BTW, thanks for the credit on the subtitle. Now you can step out for the Big Dance.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Just saving folks the trouble of disagreeing with you when it's clear you have every answer and everyone else is wrong and much stupider than you. If you could wrap up your next monologue and history lesson before we get to the next page so this thread can get back on track that would be great, mmmkay? Thanks in advance, sport. :thumbup:
Yeah, I guess "teh true fanz" don't care to know about things like 49er Football. Like you for instance.

BTW, thanks for the credit on the subtitle. Now you can step out for the Big Dance. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
After reading through this thread its clear Dr. Awesome is drummer's e-stalker. Im going to have to agree 100% with drummer on pretty much everything he has said ITT. :thumbup: I went ahead and snagged Kaepernick in free agency today, not to start...but to keep his potential away from other fantasy owners in need of a QB. Its not yet clear if he will start this week but better to be safe than sorry.

After reading through this thread its clear Dr. Awesome is drummer's e-stalker. Im going to have to agree 100% with drummer on pretty much everything he has said ITT. :thumbup: I went ahead and snagged Kaepernick in free agency today, not to start...but to keep his potential away from other fantasy owners in need of a QB. Its not yet clear if he will start this week but better to be safe than sorry.
Looks like you picked up an e-stalker too. Look out! We're taking over!

Is the idea to keep the Saints guessing in prepping for two completely different QBs and they really are just going with Smith?
I don't have any inside information, but I'm leaning towards this. Internally to the team, Harbaugh has probably announced to Smith and Kaep that Smith is the starter, and to ignore the media this week.But I've been wrong before, quite frequently to be honest.

BTW, thanks for the credit on the subtitle. Now you can step out for the Big Dance.

That shows how big of a dummy you are as well.

That shows how big of a dummy you are as well.
Spent all thread just to post that?

This is a pretty important FF thread to be getting trashed here. My link. After reading that, it appears to me like there will be no clear answer until maybe even gameday.

This is a pretty important FF thread to be getting trashed here. My link. After reading that, it appears to me like there will be no clear answer until maybe even gameday.
This will be no fun with a 4pm game looming on Sunday. Those who have 1 pm backup qbs may just have to hope that Kaepernick has a good game if he starts--for future use.

i am concerned about them using both qbs in the same game. kinda kills the value...i want to start kap if he gets the start but would feel a whole lot better about it if Smith is inactive...maybe this week since Smith is coming off the concussion its all kap...

This will be no fun with a 4pm game looming on Sunday. Those who have 1 pm backup qbs may just have to hope that Kaepernick has a good game if he starts--for future use.
my other qb is rivers who plays at 4 so i am hoping to hear kap is starting. we all know rivers sucks. kind of lucked out they both play about the same time

i am concerned about them using both qbs in the same game. kinda kills the value...i want to start kap if he gets the start but would feel a whole lot better about it if Smith is inactive...maybe this week since Smith is coming off the concussion its all kap...
I hope Harbaugh isn't this dumb. QBBC just doesn't work and I'm sure he knows it. If Smith starts, I could see Kaep getting 3 or 4 snaps under center (like he has done a few times this year) but hopefully no more than that.

I hope Harbaugh isn't this dumb. QBBC just doesn't work and I'm sure he knows it. If Smith starts, I could see Kaep getting 3 or 4 snaps under center (like he has done a few times this year) but hopefully no more than that.
if Smith starts i could see that. if kap starts why bring Smith in? and if so when would you bring him in?

interview with Steve Young on KNBR just now, they went over how Alex might be a better start under the noise at the Dome this weekend. I tend to agree that Kap might have a harder time than Alex in those conditions.

interview with Steve Young on KNBR just now, they went over how Alex might be a better start under the noise at the Dome this weekend. I tend to agree that Kap might have a harder time than Alex in those conditions.
I remember a game where Steve was concussed but played through it in that same Dome and won. They didn't know it until after the game IIRC. I expect a heavy dose of the run no matter who starts. If Smith still has a bit of symptoms left over, it's safer to start Kaep and go into game manage mode. That's the beauty of that offense.

if Smith starts i could see that. if kap starts why bring Smith in? and if so when would you bring him in?
I wouldn't. If Kaep starts, we will not see Alex on the field at all.

:thumbup: :goodposting:

:thumbup: :goodposting:
This is a thread about Kaep ya know.

Jim Trotter ‏@SI_JimTrotterBREAKING: Jim Harbaugh has informed Alex Smith that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday, per source. Said decision not based on health.
great boost to this offense

I'm probably nuts and am going to regret this but if kaep really is official names the starter I'm gonna play him per newton and henne in a win or go home matchup. My team needs a serious shot in the arm. <gulp>

All in!

Jim Trotter ‏@SI_JimTrotter

BREAKING: Jim Harbaugh has informed Alex Smith that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday, per source. Said decision not based on health.
WOW! I really hope this is true, both as a Niners fan and as a Kap owner. Rotoworld link :football:
From the link:
According to Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter, head coach Jim Harbaugh has named Colin Kaepernick the 49ers' starting quarterback.

Trotter reports that Harbaugh informed Alex Smith of the decision, and it has nothing to do with health. All signs pointed to this being the case after Harbaugh refused to commit to Smith following Monday night's thrashing of the Bears. Kaepernick showed off his underrated passing skill set in the victory and made some throws that Smith wouldn't even typically be asked to attempt. Kaepernick has QB1 upside in fantasy while Alex Smith was no more than a high-end QB2 on a good day. Smith can be dropped in all fantasy leagues. Kaepernick has a date with New Orleans' league-worst defense on Sunday. Nov 21 - 10:18 P

Jim Trotter ‏@SI_JimTrotterBREAKING: Jim Harbaugh has informed Alex Smith that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday, per source. Said decision not based on health.
So stoked :thumbup:Kap has a great matchup, but bc of Harbaugh and the Thus-Sun difference, Ill probably just roll with Romo over Kap. In m other league with Rivers, ill wait til Sunday.

wow so hes an instant QB1 this week. who we starting him over?
Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be a HUGE letdown for everyone (speaking only fantasy-wise). Pat Kirwan had a great point on Moving the Chains today. He said it's likely that the Bears were preparing for a gigantic dose of run, run, pistol, run, run and everything else you can think of that didn't include downfield passing. He wasn't taking anything away from Colin... he just suspected that the Bears didn't think the kid would dare try to pass on them the way he did.So now "it's on tape" as they say. The Saints defense stinks, yes. But Colin won't surprise them now.

Hold on..

Well, well, well. It looks like we’ve got a little ESPN-on-SI crime.

In response to a report from Jim Trotter of SI.com that 49ers quarterback Alex Smith has been told that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday at New Orleans regarding of Smith’s health, ESPN producer Seth Markman has posted via Twitter that Smith has informed ESPN’s Trent Dilfer that the veteran quarterback has been told only that Kaepernick will get the first-team practice reps this week.

Per Dilfer (via Markman), Smith says that he still has a chance to start based on how he and Kaepernick perform in practice.

So it’s possible a decision hasn’t been made. And the situation already is taking on a life of its own, which won’t make it any easier for coach Jim Harbaugh to make a decision (if a decision hasn’t been made) and to get his team to support it without doubt or question or second-guessing.
Dilfer was Smith's mentor when he was on the team *chuckle*, so he is tight with Smith.

Hold on..

Well, well, well. It looks like we’ve got a little ESPN-on-SI crime.

In response to a report from Jim Trotter of SI.com that 49ers quarterback Alex Smith has been told that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday at New Orleans regarding of Smith’s health, ESPN producer Seth Markman has posted via Twitter that Smith has informed ESPN’s Trent Dilfer that the veteran quarterback has been told only that Kaepernick will get the first-team practice reps this week.

Per Dilfer (via Markman), Smith says that he still has a chance to start based on how he and Kaepernick perform in practice.

So it’s possible a decision hasn’t been made. And the situation already is taking on a life of its own, which won’t make it any easier for coach Jim Harbaugh to make a decision (if a decision hasn’t been made) and to get his team to support it without doubt or question or second-guessing.
Dilfer was Smith's mentor when he was on the team *chuckle*, so he is tight with Smith.
This is more in line with my PFT tweet, several posts up.

wow so hes an instant QB1 this week. who we starting him over?
Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be a HUGE letdown for everyone (speaking only fantasy-wise). Pat Kirwan had a great point on Moving the Chains today. He said it's likely that the Bears were preparing for a gigantic dose of run, run, pistol, run, run and everything else you can think of that didn't include downfield passing. He wasn't taking anything away from Colin... he just suspected that the Bears didn't think the kid would dare try to pass on them the way he did.So now "it's on tape" as they say. The Saints defense stinks, yes. But Colin won't surprise them now.
this is true but his running would still be gold and he didnt even do that vs the bears. its like tebow last year. if he stinks his floor is still around 20pts cuz of the running. plus its the ####in saints

Users who are viewing this thread