What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (11 Viewers)

Now it is clear the reason he was never signed had a lot to do with his lawsuit against the NFL.  No team was going to sign him while he was in the middle of a lawsuit. 
Which is patently absurd statement since Reid was also in the lawsuit and the Panthers signed him.

The lawsuit?

As opposed to what?
Social change, right to protest, the way the NFL treats stood to gain a lot more traction if he goes for the win.  And I'm not so sure a loss would have been bad either, who knows what the backlash would have been.

Rhymes -  Now it just kind of all goes away because the NFL paid for a NDA.

Social change, right to protest, the way the NFL treats stood to gain a lot more traction if he goes for the win.  And I'm not so sure a loss would have been bad either, who knows what the backlash would have been.

None of those things would have been ordered by a court after a trial.  Money would have. 

Also @Ramblin Wreck, I think you owe squistion an apology. You’ve spent the last year or so in this thread mocking him for arguing that this lawsuit has merit. He was right. You were wrong. And it was rude to mock him. You should own up to it. 
Apology?  No one is right or wrong here.  Corporations settle all the time for reasons other than being guilty.  They paid roughly 1 good player contract out of 1700 in the NFL for this to all to go away.   That's cheap insurance to protect their image.

Apology?  No one is right or wrong here.  Corporations settle all the time for reasons other than being guilty.  They paid roughly 1 good player contract out of 1700 in the NFL for this to all to go away.   That's cheap insurance to protect their image.
Yeah OK. No one is right or wrong. That’s probably why most of you predicted it would end in a settlement. Sure thing. 

I’d say he has created more attention to social change through all of this than had he not done any of it.  In addition he has already given a lot out of his own pocket to advance that cause and more money will likely help him do even more.

Yeah OK. No one is right or wrong. That’s probably why most of you predicted it would end in a settlement. Sure thing. 
I had no idea how it would end, but this ends well for both parties.  Kaepernick gets paid, and the NFL pays what is pennies to them to move on from a lawsuit.   Settlements like this happen all the time and I think those saying the NFL settling means they are admitting that collusion actually took place don't understand how these things work.  

I had no idea how it would end, but this ends well for both parties.  Kaepernick gets paid, and the NFL pays what is pennies to them to move on from a lawsuit.   Settlements like this happen all the time and I think those saying the NFL settling means they are admitting that collusion actually took place don't understand how these things work.  
:goodposting:

Was Squiz predicting a settlement with a NDA?  Apologies if I missed that.  It never crossed my mind.
Nope. He just kept arguing that the lawsuit was justified. 

I didn’t agree with him. I thought it was dumb myself. I was wrong about that, obviously. But I never mocked squistion. Several people here did, consistently, especially Rambling Wreck. 

Nope. He just kept arguing that the lawsuit was justified. 

I didn’t agree with him. I thought it was dumb myself. I was wrong about that, obviously. But I never mocked squistion. Several people here did, consistently, especially Rambling Wreck. 
You're going to have to define what you mean by "justified".   Settling is not admission.

Justified to me feels like an act and nothing is resolved about whether the NFL acted inappropriately or not.

I don’t think anyone’s saying they are admitting that it took place. In fact the settlement agreement will clearly state they aren’t admitting it.

I think they’re admitting he had a case, though. And evidence.  And a shot at ringing the bell.  Which means while they aren’t admitting to fault, they’re admitting he may be able to prove fault in court. 

Who knows what the amount was?  Just heard both sides have a confidentiality clause.

Also what happens if the clause is violated?
The amount I used was the low number speculated by team officials in an article ($60-80 million.)

If the clause is violated, there can either be liquidated damages or eve a cancelation of the settlement.  

Also @Ramblin Wreck, I think you owe squistion an apology. You’ve spent the last year or so in this thread mocking him for arguing that this lawsuit has merit. He was right. You were wrong. And it was rude to mock him. You should own up to it. 
I wish I could have a dollar for every :lmao:  I got defending the collusion grievance suit from Wreck and the usual, um, crowd.

The main argument for almost 200 pages was that Kaep was not signed to any team because he is a terrible player or too much of a distraction and that there was absolutely no collusion and he was not being blackballed.

If indeed there was no merit to Kaep's collusion suit, the NFL never would have settled. Never. Instead they just would have waited for the grievance hearing officer to rule that all 32 teams acted independently and reasonably concluded that Kaep either did not have the requisite talent to merit being signed, or if he did, was not worth the media distraction and circus like atmosphere his signing would bring.

We will never know what evidence Kaep's attorney's found during discovery or was given in deposition testimony, but it must have been damning enough to panic the NFL to make them take out their checkbook to the tune of $60-$80 million to just make this all go away, permanently. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could have a dollar for every :lmao:  I got defending the collusion grievance suit from Wreck and the usual, um, crowd.

The main argument for almost 200 pages was that Kaep was not signed to any team because he is a terrible player or too much of a distraction and that there was absolutely no collusion and he was not being blackballed.

If indeed there was no merit to Kaep's collusion suit, the NFL never would have settled. Never. Instead they just would have waited for the grievance hearing officer to rule that all 32 teams acted independently and reasonably concluded that Kaep either did not have the requisite talent to merit being signed, or if he did, was not worth the media distraction and circus like atmosphere his signing would bring.

We will never know what evidence Kaep's attorney's found during discovery or was given in deposition testimony, but it must have been damning enough to panic the NFL to make them take out their checkbook to the tune of $60-$80 million to just make this all go away, permanently. 
Nobody has any idea what kind of settlement was reached.   In terms of salary lost it won`t be nearly that much but we will never know.

So you admit signing him would be a media distraction and circus,  What do you think it would have been for the NFL if he had continued on and ultimately won this case?  The NFL got off cheap and he sold out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Like using the NFL who colluded against him as the gray white shinning example of black oppression. Using it to further right to protest, even at work. It would have been a media disaster for the NFL. Repeat the rhyme here. 
I have no idea how you think a win would do that. 

Seriously what in the hell are you talking about?  I said there was no collusion.  The NFL was not found guilty of collusion.  What, exactly, was I wrong about?   

It's funny how many of you guys didn't care one bit about this thread for a year and now your all the experts on everything.  Every.  Single.  Thread.

This is yet another falsehood.  So you're latest claim is that company's that settle are always guilty?  :lmao:

Seriously what in the hell are you talking about?  I said there was no collusion.  The NFL was not found guilty of collusion.  What, exactly, was I wrong about?   

It's funny how many of you guys didn't care one bit about this thread for a year and now your all the experts on everything.  Every.  Single.  Thread.
If there was absolutely no evidence to Kaep's claims of collusion they never would have taken out their checkbook to pay multi-millions to buy his silence. If it was a frivolous lawsuit, that had no merit, as you implied, then they never would have settled. Never.

I don’t think anyone’s saying they are admitting that it took place. In fact the settlement agreement will clearly state they aren’t admitting it.

I think they’re admitting he had a case, though. And evidence.  And a shot at ringing the bell.  Which means while they aren’t admitting to fault, they’re admitting he may be able to prove fault in court. 
I think the NFL was far more worried about having to produce millions of emails and text messages that had nothing to do with Kaepernick, but could have revealed a lot of private and/or embarrassing stuff about the league.  In essence, the NFL was protecting themselves from god--knows-what by settling.  It simply wasn't worth their time to fight this battle any more; better to just pay chump change (which whatever they paid certainly is to them) and move on. 

Ramblin Wreck said:
Got his pay day which is all he wanted.  Now go away. 

irish eyes said:
Regardless of his bank account,  he will always be garbage.

He sold out?  Holy cow, and people are spinning this a good thing for his cause?  Best possible scenario for the NFL.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeezCdF4mk

If there was absolutely no evidence to Kaep's claims of collusion they never would have taken out their checkbook to pay multi-millions to buy his silence. If it was a frivolous lawsuit, that had no merit, as you implied, then they never would have settled. Never.
Link me to the collusion evidence?  Or a judge/arbitrator finding them guilty of collusion?  

Link me claiming it was frivilous?  I've just said there's no collusion and he's not a good enough player to deal with the distractions.  You could play your mental gymnastics all you want.

Not really.  We have no idea what the settlement was.  Without that confirmation it’s hard to know how much validity the case had.

I suppose we might find out at some point.  Until then...

matttyl said:
If Kaep wanted to stand for something, why settle?  Sure, a crap ton of money - but from the sounds of it, he was going to get that either way.
Because he is not standing for (against) the league, he is standing against racist cops.  The lawsuit vs the NFL was to end the blackballing and get paid, not to "take a stance".

You have really been invested in Kappy on a daily basis for 2 years...are you happy this has been settled?

Bojang0301 said:
It was all about the money from day 1.
100%
It was about money for both sides.

Kaepernick wanted to recover the money he would have earned if he hadn't been cut.

The NFL wanted to retain the money that they would have lost if the CBA had been voided.

So, the NFL ended up paying $80 million to avoid losing potentially billions. Maybe they consider that to be a good deal, but it's still a disaster. They could have convinced the Cardinals or some other loser team to sign him to the veteran's minimum and then cut him after a year, and they would have saved themselves $75 million.

Link me to the collusion evidence?  Or a judge/arbitrator finding them guilty of collusion?  

Link me claiming it was frivilous?  I've just said there's no collusion and he's not a good enough player to deal with the distractions.  You could play your mental gymnastics all you want.
Because of the hush money payoff by the NFL, we will never see it. The deposition testimony and the discovery evidence was not made public and never will because Goodell and company paid Kaep off to keep quiet.

I stated you implied that the claim was frivolous, as Tim alluded to and others will confirm, not that you made that an actual statement to that effect.

If it was a frivolous lawsuit, that had no merit, as you implied

Because of the hush money payoff by the NFL, we will never see it. The deposition testimony and the discovery evidence was not made public and never will because Goodell and company paid Kaep off to keep quiet.

I stated you implied that the claim was frivolous, as Tim alluded to and others will confirm, not that you made that an actual statement to that effect.
So there is no evidence of collusion?  Just as I've been stating.  And Tim is trolling claiming I owe someone an apology?  200 something pages of nonsense and Tim comes up with that garbage post tonight.  Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread