What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (6 Viewers)

Michael Wilbon - "I hope many more players take a knee when the NFL resumes"

I hope so too... I mean look how the week started before George Floyd. We had Armaud Arberry, we had the NYC guy who had the police called on him by a white woman because he told her to leash her dog (unleashed dogs are illegal in The Tangle). It's just insane but at some point you're not surprised by it anymore... you just want something to be done. 
My guess that there are tons that do including more white players and coaches.  

Interesting in that Dak Prescott said about the anthem protests: "I don't think that's the time or the venue to do so"

NFL Update @MySportsUpdate 38m

#Cowboys QB Dak Prescott posted a 4-page statement on Instagram:

“I plan to take action and pledge $1,000,000 to improve police training and address systematic racism through education and advocacy.”

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1268212518557802496
Now that is actually doing something.  Kneeling is the easy thing to do..getting out in the community, investing your time and money to make actual change is difficult.  Kudos to Dak!! :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that is actually doing something.  Kneeling is the easy thing to do..getting out in the community, investing your time and money to make actual change is difficult.  Kudos to Dak!! :yes:
Um, Kaep set up a foundation and invested a million dollars of his own money into various charities helping the African American community and other minority groups.

Um, Kaep set up a foundation and invested a million dollars of his own money into various charities helping the African American community and other minority groups.
I am talking about guys who are still in the league actually doing something with their time and money.

:(  Apparently Drew Brees is still tone deaf.

https://sports.yahoo.com/drew-brees-addresses-nfl-players-kneeling-in-2020-i-will-never-agree-with-anybody-disrespecting-the-flag-164423496.html

Drew Brees addresses NFL players kneeling in 2020: 'I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag'

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees will not be happy if NFL players take a knee in protest during the 2020 season. Brees told Yahoo Finance he viewed the gesture as disrespectful to the flag, which is something he “will never agree with.”

Brees, 41, also compared the sacrifices of those in the military to the sacrifices made by those who fought for civil rights.

[...]

If it’s not disruptive why would an employer object? I could take a knee at my job anytime I want.
I also high five people and do a dance when I turn a report in or finish up a particularly good email.

This is awkward though in that I work mostly from the house and only with one business partner and we usually aren't together except when meeting with a client.

https://sports.yahoo.com/drew-brees-addresses-nfl-players-kneeling-in-2020-i-will-never-agree-with-anybody-disrespecting-the-flag-164423496.html

Drew Brees addresses NFL players kneeling in 2020: 'I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag'

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees will not be happy if NFL players take a knee in protest during the 2020 season. Brees told Yahoo Finance he viewed the gesture as disrespectful to the flag, which is something he “will never agree with.”

Brees, 41, also compared the sacrifices of those in the military to the sacrifices made by those who fought for civil rights.

[...]
I won't call him tone deaf at all.  Not everyone has to agree with the manner of protest.

[...]
Well maybe that is why the protest need to be progressive and change, find a fresh avenue.  If people kneel during the NA then right or wrong it will turn into a anti NA, anti military protest again after one game and the message gets lost just as fast as it did the last time. Nobody was even talking about why anymore. 

Get creative, be progressive and find a fresh new avenue that only concentrates on what the protest is about.

How about right before the opening kickoff have both teams kneel  for 5 seconds.  The protest does not have to be tied to the NA where all the energy gets lost.

Well maybe that is why the protest needs a fresh avenue.  If people kneel then right or wrong it will turn into a anti NA, anti military protest again after one game and the message gets lost just as fast as the last time. Nobody was even talking about why anymore.  Find a fresh new avenue that only concentrates on what the protest is about.

How about right before the opening kickoff have both teams kneel  for 5 seconds.  The protest does not have to be tied to the NA where all the energy gets lost.
I tend to agree with this take

Much like everything the NFL has bungled the kneeling issue brutally especially now.  It's hard to know what they can do to accommodate but not look weak (to the right) and not look like the are ignoring it or sweeping it under the rug.  With the angst being shown by players and even some coaches something is going to happen.  My guess...they will bungle it

sho nuff said:
I won't call him tone deaf at all.  Not everyone has to agree with the manner of protest.
It is not the manner of protest. He doesn't have a clue what the George Floyd protests are about and I felt never knew where Kaep was coming from.

killface said:
sho nuff said:
He is also gearing up for a political career as a republican...
Was set to go into broadcasting. Though I guess he could have been looking down the road, too. 

Though in all reality I don't see Drew as GOP, his mom was an ardent Austin Democrat and he's a union guy. I don't see it myself.

Though in all reality I don't see Drew as GOP, his mom was an ardent Austin Democrat and he's a union guy. I don't see it myself.
From all public accounts, Brees is going to be placed into the "conservative" bucket due to his stances on Christianity, public prayer, and the issues surrounding American-flag protests. Maybe he could be somewhat of an "Edwardsian" Democrat (John Bel, not Edwin :D  ) in Louisiana. Unclear if that kind of conservative Democrat can play nationally, though.

Unless you are 100 % on the same side as the SJW who love the cancel culture, I’m not sure why anyone would opine on this topic. If you say anything they disagree with, you’re suddenly worthless. Brees should’ve known this. 
I'm kidding for any who couldn't tell. I'm fanatical on all things Brees and Saints.

Unless you are 100 % on the same side as the SJW who love the cancel culture, I’m not sure why anyone would opine on this topic. If you say anything they disagree with, you’re suddenly worthless. Brees should’ve known this. 
Brees has stepped in it a few times in the recent past and pretty much gotten away with it scot-free. Not sure he's going to be quite as lucky this time. Still ... I wouldn't be exactly shocked if this all blew over for him after a heart-to-heart with teammates and (somehow) a good press conference on the matter.

From all public accounts, Brees is going to be placed into the "conservative" bucket due to his stances on Christianity, public prayer, and the issues surrounding American-flag protests. Maybe he could be somewhat of an "Edwardsian" Democrat (John Bel, not Edwin :D  ) in Louisiana. Unclear if that kind of conservative Democrat can play nationally, though.
No, not in 2020 or the foreseeable future.

It's a reasonable question to ask if white players voicing greater support for the injustices fostered upon their teammates would have a positive impact on the perspective NFL fans have on this whole "disrespecting the flag" thing. I have no idea what the answer to that question is.

Brees has stepped in it a few times in the recent past and pretty much gotten away with it scot-free. Not sure he's going to be quite as lucky this time. Still ... I wouldn't be exactly shocked if this all blew over for him after a heart-to-heart with teammates and (somehow) a good press conference on the matter.
Don’t be so sure. Michael Thomas appears to be Antonio Brown Part 2 in many ways and I could see him throwing a massive fit over this and becoming a problem. 

sho nuff said:
Of course this is correct

The poster you are addressing feels that anyone that doesn’t agree with him on this subject is wrong. That’s clear 

From sports broadcaster Nick Wright:

nick wright @getnickwright 43m

Drew Brees didn’t get the message. But at least he’s proving my point that for some folks, there is *no* acceptable way for Black people to demand their full rights as American citizens & equal protection under the law.

https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/1268277479464148993 (video clip at link)
Nick Wright is mildly entertaining, especially when he’s on The Herd and he banters with Cowherd, but his white guilt is very strong. He refers to almost every black QB by their first name, yet rarely does it for white ones. It’s like he’s terrified of offending anyone by referring to the black quarterbacks by their last name. It’s weird. Cris Carter used to school him all the time, but he was released for unknown reasons, and now Wright and his often-bizarre opinions mostly go unchecked. 

No he isn't - he is not quoting Brees, he is saying that Brees is proving the point he made in the video
Brees is speaking too narrowly to prove that point. Had Brees rattled off a bunch of different types and manner of protest and said "none of these are appropriate", then I could get behind Wright's tweet.

IG: JosinaAnderson
@JosinaAnderson

Saints Cam Jordan to me just now re Drew Brees’ comments: “When I saw (a portion) of the clip I immediately felt some type of way. I remembered back in (2017) we discussed it & took a knee before the flag & we showed that we were unified by the time t/ National Anthem started.1/3

@JosinaAnderson

Cam Jordan [Cont] "But that was (several) years ago…& you saw a unification of the team. But in the offseason we don’t have the same access to each other every day…So I’m going to partake in the full interview he did w/Yahoo Finance first & then discuss how emotions feel...2/3

@JosinaAnderson

[Cam Jordan cont to me] "I do know I’ve had an open dialogue with some of my teammates the entire time. We haven’t got to include Drew yet. I dropped the ball there. I’m my brother’s keeper. That’s on me for not being more aware. Still, I want to watch this full interview.” 3/3
The situation between Brees and the team will be nuanced. Some teammates Brees will probably never win back. For others, the door seems open ... Brees needs to recognize that and walk through.

Brees is speaking too narrowly to prove that point. Had Brees rattled off a bunch of different types and manner of protest and said "none of these are appropriate", then I could get behind Wright's tweet.
Then Brees should probably issue a clarification, if he wants avoid people reading things into it that he did not intend.

Drew Brees is the top trending hashtag in the country right now and I don't think this will go away if Brees chooses to ignore it - particularly since there is a video out there of Saints safety Malcolm Jenkins speaking his mind about Brees.

Jenkins on video: (warning NSFW with uncensored profanity)

https://twitter.com/BiionFN/status/1268302204538105864 (video at link is in 2 parts)

Then Brees should probably issue a clarification, if he wants avoid people reading things into it that he did not intend.

Drew Brees is the top trending hashtag in the country right now and I don't think this will go away if Brees chooses to ignore it - particularly since there is a video out there of Malcolm Jenkins speaking his mind about Brees.

Jenkins on video: (warning NSFW with uncensored profanity at the beginning)

https://twitter.com/BiionFN/status/1268302204538105864
Pretty classy of him to call out his teammate on twitter

Can't figure out who this guy is, but his message seems fair-minded and inclusive. Looks like he is an NBA writer, but I can't find who he's associated with (maybe free-lance).

Michael McNamara
@michael_stokley · 26m

Learn from Drew Brees. I think we all can agree he doesnt have ill will for people of a different color. He is caring and compassionate -- more than most. So, how could he said what he said?

Because he is ignorant to the conversation most are having. He is having his own convo

Michael McNamara
@michael_stokley

This is the case for tens of millions of Americans. They are well intentioned but unable to step outside of their own limited perspective.

Dont write them off. Dont shame them or yell at them or get angry at them. The lightbulb just hasnt gone on yet. Keep flicking the switch.

8  4:48 PM - Jun 3, 2020

I strongly support the right of people to burn the flag if they want, but I think it's kind of a #### move.  It's also counter-productive in the sense that as soon as you start burning the flag, whatever message you thought you were sending is going to get overwhelmed by the whole why-are-you-burning-the-flag angle.

To Brees and a lot of other people, protesting during the national anthem is a less extreme version of flag burning.  And it got the same response.  CK's attempt to raise awareness about police brutality just turned into a debate about freedom of speech, what's acceptable speech, the rights of employees to speak on their employer's dime, etc.  The whole police brutality thing took a back seat to all the second-order issues.  There's a reason why the (peaceful) protesters are moving the needle on this issue and CK didn't.

From sports broadcaster Nick Wright:

nick wright @getnickwright 43m

Drew Brees didn’t get the message. But at least he’s proving my point that for some folks, there is *no* acceptable way for Black people to demand their full rights as American citizens & equal protection under the law.

https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/1268277479464148993 (video clip at link)
Isn't this the same guy who thinks Lebron is the GOAT? This guy is a clown.

:facepalm:

EDIT: That's the takeaway from that tweet you come away with? Look, whether LeBron is the GOAT is surely a hotly contested topic, but I feel you're burying the lead here.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/03/backlash-from-michael-thomas-among-others-forces-drew-brees-to-clarify-comments/

Backlash from Michael Thomas, among others, forces Drew Brees to clarify comments

Posted by Mike Florio on June 3, 2020, 2:10 PM EDT

Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who possibly has political aspirations, may be rethinking his future career choices after jumping onto a third rail with both feet on Wednesday.

Brees, at a critical moment in American history that has caused many to reconsider the message arising from the anthem protests launched by Colin Kaepernick in 2016, has reiterated his objection to the method.

“I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country,” Brees said.

Apart from the remark making “Drew Brees” on the Twitter’s top trending topics as of this posting, one of his most important teammates has posted a couple of tweets that, given the context, seem to be a message to Brees.

“He don’t know no better,” Thomas initially said.

Thomas later added: “We don’t care if you don’t agree and whoever else how about that.”

Brees has since provided a statement to Mike Triplett of ESPN.com.

“I love and respect my teammates and I stand right there with them in regards to fighting for racial equality and justice,” Brees said. “I also stand with my grandfathers who risked their lives for this country and countless other military men and women who do it on a daily basis.”

Brees may have more to do to put the toothpaste back in the tube on this one. There’s a chance that, ultimately, he may just have to find a way to coexist with the uncontained dental product.

Users who are viewing this thread