What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (10 Viewers)

The impact of Kaepernick's kneeling still reverberating in 2021.

NBC News @NBCNews 49m

The Dallas Mavericks have stopped playing the national anthem before home games at the direction of owner Mark Cuban, a Mavericks spokeswoman say.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1359536125585588231
I like it!  :thumbup:      

The NA should only be played for a huge game like the Superbowl or in the Olympics.  No need to play it every single game.  Funny thing is they did not play it at X games or all their homes games and nobody noticed until a couple days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing is they did not play it at X games or all their homes games and nobody noticed until a couple days ago.
I think the reason that nobody noticed is because there were no fans in the arena. Monday's game was the first one with a limited number of fans in attendance, and that's when the story broke.

I think the reason that nobody noticed is because there were no fans in the arena. Monday's game was the first one with a limited number of fans in attendance, and that's when the story broke.
Maybe but they still had media there.   If I were at a game I probably would not notice, just tip the ball or drop the puck and play.

Other than the Super Bowl nobody talks about nor will they miss it. Cuban probably did not want to deal with the BS and distractions anymore.

NBC News @NBCNews 49m

The Dallas Mavericks have stopped playing the national anthem before home games at the direction of owner Mark Cuban, a Mavericks spokeswoman say.

Congratulations. You've begun process of destroying BLM's largest and most cost-effective messaging platform.

Exactly how does that help your cause?

BTW, the NBA just changed their position and will now require the Mavericks to play the anthem at all games.
Yeah, that didn't last long.  :kicksrock:

Sports Illustrated @SInow 11m

After the NBA announced it would require all teams to play the national anthem, Mark Cuban said the Mavericks will resume playing it tonight

Yeah, that didn't last long.  :kicksrock:

Sports Illustrated @SInow 11m

After the NBA announced it would require all teams to play the national anthem, Mark Cuban said the Mavericks will resume playing it tonight
This is stupid. Playing the anthem before games is a bit stupid, compelling owners to do it is extra stupid. Cuban comes out a winner here. The players will sympathize with his position, not the league's.

NBC News @NBCNews 49m

What we wanted: criminal justice reform and a demilitarization of the police

What we got: more controversy at sports events

I stopped caring about this a while ago. There’s no unity in the country anymore, so why pretend with a unifying act like singing the NA together?

NBC News @NBCNews 49m

On ESPN they said that it was because there are 108 foreign born players in the NBA this season from many different countries and that Cuban felt it did not represent all of those players.  Had nothing to do with CK or kneeling.  So there is no reverb.

On ESPN they said that it was because there are 108 foreign born players in the NBA this season from many different countries and that Cuban felt it did not represent all of those players.  Had nothing to do with CK or kneeling.  So there is no reverb.
If Kaep had not started and then continued the kneeling protests, Cuban's actions today never would have happened. 

NBC News @NBCNews 49m

Wait, I was told over and over that Kaepernick was pro America and was just protesting for a cause he believed in.

Why would he have wanted the platform to protest for that cause removed?

If Kaep had not started and then continued the kneeling protests, Cuban's actions today never would have happened. 
Well we have no idea other than what Cuban said about all the players from all over the world.

Whats has happened now though is that nobody or very few people even care or are upset if anyone kneels, sits or stands, does not come out or whatever.

Kneeling still has a meaning to those who kneel but it is no longer looked at as defiance. When everyone kneels or has knelt, when everyone is used to seeing it the act in itself has lost the power it held.  It is normalized.  Nobody in the media cares much about it or talks about anymore. It is not a hot story anymore.

You can't make this stuff up :lmao:

Oklahoma prep game broadcaster denounced for using racial epithet

OKLAHOMA CITY -- An announcer for a livestream of an Oklahoma girls' high school basketball game cursed and called one team by a racial epithet as the players kneeled during the national anthem.

The incident occurred Thursday before the Norman High School-Midwest City quarterfinal game in Sapulpa as "The Star-Spangled Banner" began to play. The broadcasters told listeners on the NFHS Network stream they would return after a break and then one, apparently not realizing the audio was live, used an expletive and the epithet as the Norman players kneeled.

"They're kneeling? [Expletive] them," one of the men said, video of which later went viral. "I hope Norman gets their ### kicked ... [Expletive] [epithet]."

The broadcaster who made the remarks later identified himself as Matt Rowan. In a statement in which he apologized, Rowan, who owns and operates the streaming service OSPN, said he is a diabetic and that his blood-sugar levels caused him to make the remarks.

"I will state that I suffer Type 1 Diabetes and during the game my sugar was spiking," Rowan said in a statement obtained by multiple media outlets. "While not excusing my remarks it is not unusual when my sugar spikes that I become disoriented and often say things that are not appropriate as well as hurtful. I do not believe that I would have made such horrible statements absent my sugar spiking."

The Oklahoma Secondary Schools Activities Association and NFHS Network each issued statements apologizing for the comments.

"While we are currently investigating the incident, this crew will not be doing any more games for the remainder of our championships," OSSAA director David Jackson said. "This kind of behavior will never be tolerated by anyone representing the NFHS or OSSAA."

The NFHS Networks said in a statement that it was "sickened" and "outraged" by the comments, apologized and "immediately cut ties with the third-party production crew that was involved.''

"We also deeply apologize to the students, their families, and the entire community for having such ignorant and hurtful comments expressed during the broadcast,'' the statement added.

Kneeling during the anthem during U.S. sporting events has become a familiar way for athletes to express themselves, often in protest of racial or social injustice. Norman High School Superintendent Nick Migliorino said the school district supports the students' right to freely express themselves.

"We condemn and will not tolerate the disgusting words and attitudes of these announcers," Migliorino said. "We will do everything in our power to support and uplift our team and everyone affected by this incident."

Migliorino said the announcers were hired by the OSSAA and that the district would use another livestream service for the remainder of the state tournament.

State public schools Superintendent Joy Hofmeister also released a statement, saying the comments cannot be tolerated.

"The remarks made were sickening and vile," Hofmeister said. "My heart aches for the young female athletes who were subjected to this hateful and disgusting tirade."
Matt Rowan Press Release statement

Ok. Sugar spike made me racist, that's a new one.

Jemele Hill @jemelehill Sep 27

With all due respect @DezBryant, this is uninformed. Colin Kaepernick has created a publishing company, a SPAC that’s raising $300M for social justice initiatives, a production company, etc. On top of founding the Know Your Rights Camp. I don’t get the point of dragging his name.

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1442557806830231557

Resist Programming @RzstProgramming Sep 27

While Dez Bryant was calling out Colin Kaepernick yesterday, Colin’s @yourrightscamp was literally partnering with Black Women Lead to pass out school supplies, masks, and hand sanitizer in Crenshaw.

https://twitter.com/RzstProgramming/status/1442595919548100613 (photos at link)

Yeah, cause a process that allows all players of all races a chance to become multi-millionaires is exactly like slavery. Meanwhile, he has no problem being the face of Nike, who uses actual slave labor to make it's products. Kaepernick is what you get when you let corporate media sell you a manufactured make shift activist.

KingPrawn said:
Yeah, cause a process that allows all players of all races a chance to become multi-millionaires is exactly like slavery. Meanwhile, he has no problem being the face of Nike, who uses actual slave labor to make it's products. Kaepernick is what you get when you let corporate media sell you a manufactured make shift activist.

Steven A. had CK pegged as a phoney years ago.

I was supportive of the kneeling.  And I thought he was unfairly blackballed at first.  His antics with the NFL tryout was BS though.  And I have no clue why he is getting a Netflix Documentary and why he thinks he is some type of Black Panther or expert on race.

The NFL combine in recent years has made me feel a little uneasy, as it does have some similarities to the slave-auction block.  Like, I can see that.  But the NFL draft is not akin to slavery.  Players get paid a lot and the draft is for balancing the league product.  Most athletes don't get it -- they are the product as well as an employee who is subject to a collective bargaining agreement that is negotiated by their elected peers.

I was supportive of the kneeling.  And I thought he was unfairly blackballed at first.  His antics with the NFL tryout was BS though.  And I have no clue why he is getting a Netflix Documentary and why he thinks he is some type of Black Panther or expert on race.

The NFL combine in recent years has made me feel a little uneasy, as it does have some similarities to the slave-auction block.  Like, I can see that.  But the NFL draft is not akin to slavery.  Players get paid a lot and the draft is for balancing the league product.  Most athletes don't get it -- they are the product as well as an employee who is subject to a collective bargaining agreement that is negotiated by their elected peers.

I do agree on this. 

Except we have to remember the athletes working out are there on their own free will basically interviewing to be in the NFL and landing a high paying job.

. The combine has landed many players a chance to play in the league that otherwise would be unknowns. Also there are both white and black players working out at the combine.

Its really sad IMHO how CK has taken such an important topic and buried it underneath his enormous LOOK AT ME ego.

Users who are viewing this thread