What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (6 Viewers)

. Smith essentially only came back on a 1-year deal. The mentally fragile Smith has responded this year with 8 YPA and a triple digit QB rating.
Yea while leading an offense that I think was 29th or 30th in net passing yards per game and barely cracking 200 yards a game. Smith is basically performing like he did last season. You know the season he had and entered FA and no one wanted him because he's a game manager.
?? Kaepernick threw for under 250 yards, too....

. Smith essentially only came back on a 1-year deal. The mentally fragile Smith has responded this year with 8 YPA and a triple digit QB rating.
Yea while leading an offense that I think was 29th or 30th in net passing yards per game and barely cracking 200 yards a game. Smith is basically performing like he did last season. You know the season he had and entered FA and no one wanted him because he's a game manager.
?? Kaepernick threw for under 250 yards, too....
He could have thrown for more, but Harbaugh reigned in the passing game after the big lead and game was decided. He did most of the damage in the first half. Key stat from the last game: Kaep was 7-12 passing on 3rd down. His abilty to stretch plays with his mobility and the field with his arm can only help them more on 3rd down in both the pass and run, which has been a poor stat for the 49er offense for around 4 years running or more now.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, CRAP. I guess I'm rolling with Rivers then, and Kaep will sit the bench, since I have no clue if he's playing. Thanks Harbaugh.

Personally, I'd start Smith because I think his body of work since the beginning of last year speaks for itself..but I can understand at least why the coach and fans would want Kaepernick. He just has a few things Smith doesn't. I find it crazy the kind of quarterbacks people are benching in favor of Kaep tho, but I can also understand it. I myself am considering benching Freeman for him. Besides the Saints defense being terrible, the offense should be able to score a solid amount, even vs the Saints.. obviously as a result Kaepernick should be throwing (and running due to the amount of times the ball will be in his hands) a lot. Playing in New Orleans for his 2nd career start is a fairly tough environment, but I do think the opponent and experience the players around him have will help him out.

I do have one interesting thought. All the tea leaves would strongly suggest Kaepernick will be the starting quarterback, the only thing with conflict with that is what Jim Harbaugh recently said about not wanting to reveal his qb. Maybe it is possible he wants the Saints to prepare for Kaepernick, someone they haven't faced and has a different skill-set than Alex, and then in th end start Smith. Food for thought.

Guys, I'm impressed with Kaep, but there were a couple of throws that I thought should have been picked. probably ill advised tosses, but it was in that tiny window that allowed it to be completed. I see a boom or bust prospect here.

either he is that good that he can fit the ball in the smallest of windows, and he will either be a superstar, or he got lucky for a game and made some completions that never should have been thrown in the first place. Honestly there are only a couple of QB's in the NFL who are good enough to do this at will, and I worry about this a bit.

I can think of two throws that if they were off target by 6 inches, they are picked or incomplete. one I actually thought was a pick, but it somehow made it through a couple of defenders into the hands of the receiver.

Not trying to blow you guy's hype train or anything, but this is something to be concerned about. Until I see a couple more games I am reserving judgement. Like I say, either he is truly something special, or he got lucky for a game. not sure which at this point.

Personally, I'd start Smith because I think his body of work since the beginning of last year speaks for itself..but I can understand at least why the coach and fans would want Kaepernick. He just has a few things Smith doesn't. I find it crazy the kind of quarterbacks people are benching in favor of Kaep tho, but I can also understand it. I myself am considering benching Freeman for him. Besides the Saints defense being terrible, the offense should be able to score a solid amount, even vs the Saints.. obviously as a result Kaepernick should be throwing (and running due to the amount of times the ball will be in his hands) a lot. Playing in New Orleans for his 2nd career start is a fairly tough environment, but I do think the opponent and experience the players around him have will help him out. I do have one interesting thought. All the tea leaves would strongly suggest Kaepernick will be the starting quarterback, the only thing with conflict with that is what Jim Harbaugh recently said about not wanting to reveal his qb. Maybe it is possible he wants the Saints to prepare for Kaepernick, someone they haven't faced and has a different skill-set than Alex, and then in th end start Smith. Food for thought.
Either way the 49ers will establish a heavy dose of the run: If Kaep starts it's due to he having his first start on the road, the other Smith due to protecting him from a further concussion. One thing to think who may start is crowd noise in a dome and where Smith is post concussion. No way will they let Smith scramble from the pocket.

Guys, I'm impressed with Kaep, but there were a couple of throws that I thought should have been picked. probably ill advised tosses, but it was in that tiny window that allowed it to be completed. I see a boom or bust prospect here.

either he is that good that he can fit the ball in the smallest of windows, and he will either be a superstar, or he got lucky for a game and made some completions that never should have been thrown in the first place. Honestly there are only a couple of QB's in the NFL who are good enough to do this at will, and I worry about this a bit.

I can think of two throws that if they were off target by 6 inches, they are picked or incomplete. one I actually thought was a pick, but it somehow made it through a couple of defenders into the hands of the receiver.

Not trying to blow you guy's hype train or anything, but this is something to be concerned about. Until I see a couple more games I am reserving judgement. Like I say, either he is truly something special, or he got lucky for a game. not sure which at this point.
At least he is throwing into tiny windows. Plus, the last game he threw more for over 20 yards than Smith had all season. It's not so much Kaep is the next superstar in the making; it's more so how he can stretch the field and make use of the weapons. Randy Moss can run deep patterns all game long, and Smith won't look his way. Kaep will. That could be more to Harbaugh trusting him to throw deep more than Smith. I see a problem in Smith in that he is too afraid to make a mistake. Kaep got Smith beat in a lot of area's of QB skill set. I think it's better to let Kaep make mistakes than have Smith just play it safe. There is no guarantee they can go to the Super Bowl with Smith or Kaep starting this season. But the passing offense needs to improve, and one indicator where it was lacking despite Smith's numbers was the lack of Vernon Davis.

well, CRAP. I guess I'm rolling with Rivers then, and Kaep will sit the bench, since I have no clue if he's playing. Thanks Harbaugh.
my exact situation. they both play in the late afternoon so i am hoping we hear something closer to gametime. do you think we know the starter an hour or so before the game?

my exact situation. they both play in the late afternoon so i am hoping we hear something closer to gametime. do you think we know the starter an hour or so before the game?
Are you hoping that SI might release a report saying who the starter is, or that a SF player might come out and just tell us who'll be starting? Because... um... Both of those things already happened. What more would you need in order to believe Kaep is the starter?

Are you hoping that SI might release a report saying who the starter is, or that a SF player might come out and just tell us who'll be starting? Because... um... Both of those things already happened. What more would you need in order to believe Kaep is the starter?
So Harbaugh is just screwing with us? The Head Coach said he hasn't named a starter.

So Harbaugh is just screwing with us? The Head Coach said he hasn't named a starter.
Look at it from his perspective. He has nothing to gain from naming the starter. Why would he? It's the same reason why coaches never announce who on the injury report will be playing and who will be out until an hour before kickoff, even if one guy has missed every practice and the other hasn't missed one. It's the same reason why he didn't name Kaep the starter until an hour before kickoff last week. Harbaugh isn't screwing with us- he doesn't even care about us. He's trying to force NO to prepare for two QBs.

Not screwing with us, but with New Orleans in terms of game planning. Not unlike what most coaches would do - I don't blame Harbaugh.

i guess just something official. at this point it would be shocking if Smith started but its still possible. how confident should one feel that kap is starting? maybe Smith is not cleared today and thats the end of it

i guess just something official. at this point it would be shocking if Smith started but its still possible. how confident should one feel that kap is starting? maybe Smith is not cleared today and thats the end of it
Pretty confident. Kaep is a top 10 option this week.

[Harbaugh's] trying to force NO to prepare for two QBs.
Nice try, Jim :lmao: The Saints are surely spending about a millisecond "preparing for Alex Smith".
Same amount of time they spent preapring for him last January? :lmao:
Well they do have a lot more film on Smith now than they do Kaep. They would have more run game formations to prepare for with Kaep back there instead of Smith who won't dare run with his dome fuzzy in a Dome. Plus they would have to cover deeper with Kaep's arm. I'd love to see Moss get a few catches with either QB.

Nice try, Jim :lmao: The Saints are surely spending about a millisecond "preparing for Alex Smith".
Well they do have a lot more film on Smith now than they do Kaep. They would have more run game formations to prepare for with Kaep back there instead of Smith who won't dare run with his dome fuzzy in a Dome. Plus they would have to cover deeper with Kaep's arm. I'd love to see Moss get a few catches with either QB.
I was wondering if Kaep starting would resurrect Moss's role. I almost added him as an FA.

Calling it now...at some point Goodell will recommend Kaepernick wearing sleeves to cover up his tattoos or risk a fine or some sort.

Week 12 NFL Preview Podcast with Greg Cosell

Excerpt:

On why Colin Kaepernick fits San Francisco's offense so well: "I watched that [49ers-Bears] tape very carefully, and I thought it was an unbelievable marriage of offensive orchestration and design, and the quarterback making outstanding throws. They dictated matchups by their use of personnel and formation. And when teams do that, it's not done on a whim. It's not a fluke -- 'Hey, we got Vernon Davis matched up on Major Wright,' or you get Davis matched on Lance Briggs. Based on shifts and motions and formations, the 49ers did a phenomenal job og dictating matchups -- knowing they'd get man-to-man, and feeling very good about those. Kaepernick didn't do a lot of reading in this game, and that's not a knock on him -- that's good coaching.

They set him up, and Davis became the focus of this offense for the first time in a number of weeks. Now, you've got to make the throws, and I'm not taking anything away from Kaepernick, because he clearly made a couple of throws I'm not sure Alex Smith could make. He had five throws of 20-plus yards in that game, and they all came against man coverage."

Look at it from his perspective. He has nothing to gain from naming the starter. Why would he? It's the same reason why coaches never announce who on the injury report will be playing and who will be out until an hour before kickoff, even if one guy has missed every practice and the other hasn't missed one. It's the same reason why he didn't name Kaep the starter until an hour before kickoff last week. Harbaugh isn't screwing with us- he doesn't even care about us. He's trying to force NO to prepare for two QBs.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6530/colin-kaepernickHarbaugh admits that the only reason he hasn't officially named a starter is because it provides him no competitive advantage to do so.

Week 12 NFL Preview Podcast with Greg Cosell

Excerpt:

On why Colin Kaepernick fits San Francisco's offense so well: "I watched that [49ers-Bears] tape very carefully, and I thought it was an unbelievable marriage of offensive orchestration and design, and the quarterback making outstanding throws. They dictated matchups by their use of personnel and formation. And when teams do that, it's not done on a whim. It's not a fluke -- 'Hey, we got Vernon Davis matched up on Major Wright,' or you get Davis matched on Lance Briggs. Based on shifts and motions and formations, the 49ers did a phenomenal job og dictating matchups -- knowing they'd get man-to-man, and feeling very good about those. Kaepernick didn't do a lot of reading in this game, and that's not a knock on him -- that's good coaching.

They set him up, and Davis became the focus of this offense for the first time in a number of weeks. Now, you've got to make the throws, and I'm not taking anything away from Kaepernick, because he clearly made a couple of throws I'm not sure Alex Smith could make. He had five throws of 20-plus yards in that game, and they all came against man coverage."
:thumbup:

At least he is throwing into tiny windows. Plus, the last game he threw more for over 20 yards than Smith had all season. It's not so much Kaep is the next superstar in the making; it's more so how he can stretch the field and make use of the weapons. Randy Moss can run deep patterns all game long, and Smith won't look his way. Kaep will. That could be more to Harbaugh trusting him to throw deep more than Smith. I see a problem in Smith in that he is too afraid to make a mistake. Kaep got Smith beat in a lot of area's of QB skill set. I think it's better to let Kaep make mistakes than have Smith just play it safe. There is no guarantee they can go to the Super Bowl with Smith or Kaep starting this season. But the passing offense needs to improve, and one indicator where it was lacking despite Smith's numbers was the lack of Vernon Davis.
Hey man, I get it.And if He can fit it into the tiny windows all the time, he will be a superstar. I honestly havnt seen enough of the kid to say if this is the norm or not. obviously if he's not normally that accurate then he will become an interception machine. If he is, then you have yourself a Damn good player.

I was wondering if Kaep starting would resurrect Moss's role. I almost added him as an FA.
When are you guys going to get that Moss is done. Look at his body of work the past three years.

When are you guys going to get that Moss is done. Look at his body of work the past three years.
Moss is not done. He's not the player he was in his prime, but if you watch the games you'll see he can - and does - still get open regularly. He's not getting a lot of snaps (various reasonable excuses/explanations why), and he doesn't get a lot of passes thrown his way. But he's definitely not done. He's still got lots of talent. We'll see if results in a lot of production.

Moss is not done. He's not the player he was in his prime, but if you watch the games you'll see he can - and does - still get open regularly. He's not getting a lot of snaps (various reasonable excuses/explanations why), and he doesn't get a lot of passes thrown his way. But he's definitely not done. He's still got lots of talent. We'll see if results in a lot of production.
He shouldn't be in anyone's fantasy lineup ........period! That's exactly what he's shown the past few years.

He shouldn't be in anyone's fantasy lineup ........period! That's exactly what he's shown the past few years.
Saying he shouldn't be in anyone's fantasy lineup is a different argument from saying he's done. I, too, thought he was done before signing with SF. I've been pleasantly surprised watching him in games albeit disappointed in the actual results.

Counting on CK to pull off huge wins in two leagues. This dude is a stud (I'm thinking...praying). Looking for an RG3 type week as that's who I have to catch up to. :scared:

In this offense he is at least worth more than 1-2 catches. He get's open a lot. Smith just doesn't look his way, or won't throw to him when he is wide open, or just checks down to another more familiar WR. They send Moss out on deep routes to open things up underneath, and it's rare that he get's a deep ball. Maybe now with Kaep they can hit Moss vertically instead of Smith just going small ball horizontially.

Counting on CK to pull off huge wins in two leagues. This dude is a stud (I'm thinking...praying). Looking for an RG3 type week as that's who I have to catch up to. :scared:
i am chasing Brady with him. thanks to that great def the jets played the other night i am in a big hole. but the rest of his team pretty much blows...i figure colin can get a couple scores. hoping for some rushing yards and no turnovers

I agree with pretty much all of this... especially the take on Moss. I've been to 3 home games this season and it was absolutely mind-boggling to see Moss singled up on a DB >6" shorter than him on a pass play and Smith would't even look his way. It happened what felt like half a dozen times during the BUF game.

I agree with pretty much all of this... especially the take on Moss. I've been to 3 home games this season and it was absolutely mind-boggling to see Moss singled up on a DB >6" shorter than him on a pass play and Smith would't even look his way. It happened what felt like half a dozen times during the BUF game.
You can also look at Moss being open or not double-teamed as a sign of what defenses now think of him - that he's not close to the weapon he used to be.

per rotoworld:

NFL Network's Albert Breer and CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora both confirm SI.com's Wednesday report that Colin Kaepernick is starting at New Orleans in Week 12.

It takes a hint of hubris to roll with the untested Kaepernick over the capable but limited veteran Alex Smith, but we like that confidence displayed by a sophisticated head coach. It's clear that the 49ers players believe in their coaching staff's intellect -- with good reason considering the ongoing display of creativity and imagination. Rotoworld Matchups guru Evan Silva believes Kaepernick has the potential to be "the single biggest stretch-run fantasy quarterback difference maker." He's a top-10 fantasy option against the league's softest defense

per rotoworld: NFL Network's Albert Breer and CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora both confirm SI.com's Wednesday report that Colin Kaepernick is starting at New Orleans in Week 12.It takes a hint of hubris to roll with the untested Kaepernick over the capable but limited veteran Alex Smith, but we like that confidence displayed by a sophisticated head coach. It's clear that the 49ers players believe in their coaching staff's intellect -- with good reason considering the ongoing display of creativity and imagination. Rotoworld Matchups guru Evan Silva believes Kaepernick has the potential to be "the single biggest stretch-run fantasy quarterback difference maker." He's a top-10 fantasy option against the league's softest defense
:excited: :thumbup:

Would it be dumb to start him over Luck? :confused: Sorry for not posting in the AF but I just but I wanted to :blackdot: and :excited: over the potential here.

Would it be dumb to start him over Luck? :confused: Sorry for not posting in the AF but I just but I wanted to :blackdot: and :excited: over the potential here.
I'm debating the same 2 guys...not sure what I'll end up doing.
The Bills have been easy pickens for a lot of teams. However the last 5 weeks they have been solid allowing 150, 193, 250, 230, 124...now a couple of those teams gashed them on the ground but still they are holding at an avg of less than 200 yds the last 5 weeks. The Saints the last 5 weeks have allowed 411, 305, 226, 408, 284...an avg of well over 300 yds a week.

Good luck to both of you, tough call both ways. And don't listen to the crazy man in the rocker.

I'm debating the same 2 guys...not sure what I'll end up doing.
The Bills have been easy pickens for a lot of teams. However the last 5 weeks they have been solid allowing 150, 193, 250, 230, 124...now a couple of those teams gashed them on the ground but still they are holding at an avg of less than 200 yds the last 5 weeks. The Saints the last 5 weeks have allowed 411, 305, 226, 408, 284...an avg of well over 300 yds a week.

Good luck to both of you, tough call both ways. And don't listen to the crazy man in the rocker.
Thanks for doing the legwork. appreciate the insight. :thumbup:

Kaepernick or Locker versus the Jags (Big Ben owner)...right now I'm leaning Kaep, although both are juicy matchups

Kaepernick or Locker versus the Jags (Big Ben owner)...right now I'm leaning Kaep, although both are juicy matchups
Should I drop Big Ben for Kaep? This is the last week I can pick someone up off waivers before the playoffs start and Big Ben is injured. Btw, I also have Carson Palmer...

Should I drop Big Ben for Kaep? This is the last week I can pick someone up off waivers before the playoffs start and Big Ben is injured. Btw, I also have Carson Palmer...
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Sunday Countdown that Ben Roethlisberger (ribs, shoulder) "just may" make it back for Week 13.The Week 13 game is especially important for Roethlisberger and the Steelers because they are facing the division-rival Ravens with ground to make up. Per Mort, Big Ben will resume soft tossing early this week and the Steelers will likely make a late-week decision on his Week 13 availability, based on "pain tolerance and range of motion" on his throwing side. Check to see if Roethlisberger was dropped in your fantasy league, and pick him up if he was. He was enjoying a career-best statistical season before going down.Nov 25 - 10:55 AMhttp://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisbergerKaep's schedule is:12 Nov 25 @NO13 Dec 2 @STL14 Dec 9 MIA15 Dec 16 @NEBut who knows IF Coach Harbaugh will stick with him after this week, or return to Alex Smith...Tough call, but IF you've stuck with Big Ben all along, why drop him now when it looks like he's coming back next week?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Sunday Countdown that Ben Roethlisberger (ribs, shoulder) "just may" make it back for Week 13.The Week 13 game is especially important for Roethlisberger and the Steelers because they are facing the division-rival Ravens with ground to make up. Per Mort, Big Ben will resume soft tossing early this week and the Steelers will likely make a late-week decision on his Week 13 availability, based on "pain tolerance and range of motion" on his throwing side. Check to see if Roethlisberger was dropped in your fantasy league, and pick him up if he was. He was enjoying a career-best statistical season before going down.Nov 25 - 10:55 AMhttp://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisbergerKaep's schedule is:12 Nov 25 @NO13 Dec 2 @STL14 Dec 9 MIA15 Dec 16 @NEBut who knows IF Coach Harbaugh will stick with him after this week, or return to Alex Smith...Tough call, but IF you've stuck with Big Ben all along, why drop him now when it looks like he's coming back next week?
Thanks for your last second insight! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it... I owe you one! :-)

I was in a similar situation, we have a 2 QB roster MAX and are only allowed 2 waiver adds per week. Waivers run Thursday and Saturday evenings. Ben and Flacco are my QB's. Theoretically if Flacco were to be injured in Pregame warm ups or became sick, I would have no way to pick up another QB if Ben is on the bench hurt. Ben being hurt is a huge roster liability which is compounded by the fact we are so close to the playoffs. I can't afford to take a goose egg at the QB position.Futhermore if Flacco were to get hurt in game, the waiver wire at the QB position is very thin.Question is how long is Ben out, and what is his value in points?Even if Ben plays next week, I'm not starting him, he has yet to pick up a football for crying out loud, and he's on the road against Baltimore. No way I play him in those circumstances. I don't think he will play anyway, he will be a scratch.Week 14 is the last week of the fantasy season, Flacco has the better matchup vs the Skins over Ben vs san diego. Personally I believe this will be the earliest we will see Ben.There is no question that Kaepernick will score more points than Ben through the end of the fantasy regular season. In the playoffs Flacco and Ben would spit starts on my team.When Ben got hurt last year, he still started but his production fell. I expect the same should he make it back.My team is in the playoff hunt, my Waivers position is 10-12 on a weekly basis. Ben on my roster is a liability and should Flacco get hurt, nearly a dozen teams will get a shot at Kaepernick before I get a chance.I was proactive and picked up Kaepernick and dropped Ben last night in the Saturday waivers.

I saw that report, I fully expected it too. I suspected the Steelers would float something like that the week prior to the Ravens game. The NFL schedule makers in their infinite wisdom put the 2 Ravens Steelers game 2 weeks apart from each other. There was concern in both cities that both games could be affected by the same injury. Turns out that's what has happened, at least for the Steelers. I suspect the report by Mort is nothing but gamesmanship before a huge game.In his own report Mort confirms that Ben hasn't picked up a football yet.It comes down to points, will Kaepernick score more or less points than Ben. I am confident he will in the regular season.Of course, I'm biased, I made my decision yesterday and I'm trying to defend it, but I'm also a huge Steelers fan.You're correct though, it is a tough call.

Users who are viewing this thread