What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (8 Viewers)

this seems pretty stupid after one good game. time will tell.
Not really. Nothing makes this move permanent- if Kaepernick sucks, Smith is still on the roster ready to resume his duties. Don't try to tell me that this will rattle his confidence, because that ship has long sailed- 49er fans have been calling for his head for years, every major football analyst was labeling him one of the biggest busts ever and comparing him to David Carr, and he played with something crazy like 7 offensive coordinators in his first 7 years. Last year, he finally had a great season and led his team to the NFCCG, and Harbaugh rewarded him by going hard after Peyton Manning and letting Smith test the free agency waters. And Smith responded to that vote of absolutely no confidence by coming back and having another extremely solid season. At this point, being benched so the coaching staff can evaluate his backup is nothing Alex Smith isn't used to. And if the coaching staff, after giving Kaepernick an extended audition, decide that their best chance to win lies with Alex Smith... well, Alex Smith will be right there to step back in and provide the Niners with their best chance to win. Evaluating Kaepernick is a no-risk, no-downside move. While it doesn't provide a downside, it provides plenty of upside. I think we all agree that the Niners offense is potentially more explosive with Kaep taking snaps. Moreover, Kaep was drafted high to be the quarterback of the future (#36 overall), so at some point the coaching staff has to see what they have in him. Smith's deal is essentially a 1-year contract, so if they don't evaluate Kaep in live action, the Niners are essentially flying blind this offseason- do they let Smith go and roll with Kaep, or do they need to keep Smith around for another couple of seasons? At some point, the decision needs to be made. This is the perfect point- they've built up enough of a lead that they aren't risking a playoff spot (although they are risking seeding), Kaep already has a lot of goodwill from the fan base after last week's performance, Smith is still nominally recovering from an injury, Kaep can take some live bullets from playoff-caliber teams so Harbaugh can decide which way to go in the actual playoffs. Plus, it gives his opponents one more thing they have to prepare for. High upside move, little to no downside (Kaep can be replaced at any time, and at the very worst all you're risking is seeding), it seems to me like this is the only smart play available.
Let's just agree to disagree. Sure, Harbaugh can go back to Smith. I never said he couldn't. But what type of message does this send to a team? And not just any team. Arguably the best team in the NFL? This is a business but people have feelings too and this will affect Smith and the rest of the team in a largely negative manner. Sure Vernon Davis caught a few balls and he's happy. Great. This is a fantastic football team handing over the reigns to a project QB that had one good game against a Bears Defense that was caught without a solid defensive game plan against a kid they no virtually nothing about. This move reeks of desperation. And it's classless considering how well the Niners are playing with Smith.

Kaepernick or Locker versus the Jags (Big Ben owner)...right now I'm leaning Kaep, although both are juicy matchups
Should I drop Big Ben for Kaep? This is the last week I can pick someone up off waivers before the playoffs start and Big Ben is injured. Btw, I also have Carson Palmer...
I was in a similar situation, we have a 2 QB roster MAX and are only allowed 2 waiver adds per week. Waivers run Thursday and Saturday evenings. Ben and Flacco are my QB's. Theoretically if Flacco were to be injured in Pregame warm ups or became sick, I would have no way to pick up another QB if Ben is on the bench hurt. Ben being hurt is a huge roster liability which is compounded by the fact we are so close to the playoffs. I can't afford to take a goose egg at the QB position.Futhermore if Flacco were to get hurt in game, the waiver wire at the QB position is very thin.Question is how long is Ben out, and what is his value in points?Even if Ben plays next week, I'm not starting him, he has yet to pick up a football for crying out loud, and he's on the road against Baltimore. No way I play him in those circumstances. I don't think he will play anyway, he will be a scratch.Week 14 is the last week of the fantasy season, Flacco has the better matchup vs the Skins over Ben vs san diego. Personally I believe this will be the earliest we will see Ben.There is no question that Kaepernick will score more points than Ben through the end of the fantasy regular season. In the playoffs Flacco and Ben would spit starts on my team.When Ben got hurt last year, he still started but his production fell. I expect the same should he make it back.My team is in the playoff hunt, my Waivers position is 10-12 on a weekly basis. Ben on my roster is a liability and should Flacco get hurt, nearly a dozen teams will get a shot at Kaepernick before I get a chance.I was proactive and picked up Kaepernick and dropped Ben last night in the Saturday waivers.
Thanks for your insight as well. I guess I'm stuck now with my choice (sort of) to keep Ben! I tried to drop him at the last minute for Kaep, but was too late.

Thoughts on chances Colin gets pulled early if ineffective?

Really want to play him over Rivers but wonder how short the leash is.

It's been a long time since I've been this excited to watch a QB whom I have no vested interest in. I'm not a 49ers fan. He's not on my fantasy team and I'm not playing against him. I'm just anxious to see his wheels on a fast track in the Superdome, as well as finding out just how poised he is in a difficult environment.

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

49ers inactives: Tolzien, Jenkins, James, Looney, Tukuafu, Robinson, I.Williams are inactive. Brandon Jacobs is active.

Cam Inman ‏@CamInman

#49ers announce inactives & "no lineup changes." Alex Smith is listed as the starter on depth-chart gamecard. But Kaep was in last lineup

Cam Inman ‏@CamInman

We're trying to get clarification from #49ers on what "no lineup changes" defines regarding QB situation. Developing ...

I really give this about a 60/40 chance of Kap actually starting. Which is enough for me to have him active in all leagues.. so far. :P

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

49ers inactives: Tolzien, Jenkins, James, Looney, Tukuafu, Robinson, I.Williams are inactive. Brandon Jacobs is active.

Cam Inman ‏@CamInman

#49ers announce inactives & "no lineup changes." Alex Smith is listed as the starter on depth-chart gamecard. But Kaep was in last lineup

Cam Inman ‏@CamInman

We're trying to get clarification from #49ers on what "no lineup changes" defines regarding QB situation. Developing ...

I really give this about a 60/40 chance of Kap actually starting. Which is enough for me to have him active in all leagues.. so far. :P
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN49ers inactives, and 49ers officially say, "Kaepernick is expected to start."

The most interesting part is that Tolzien is inactive. Niners obviously confident about Alex's health and preparation.

16/25 for 231 yards. 1 touchdown, 1 interception. 6 rushes, 27 yards and 1 rushing touchdown.
Solid, team was ahead by 10 most of the 4th, he has the job going forward unless he really screws up. The SF defense won this game though IMO, Kaep did not hurt anything, in fact he made some big plays but the SF defense was the big difference today.

Fantasy wise, his floor is about 20 pts but his ceiling isn't much higher due to the 49ers run game and defense. Nfl wise, he looked very good today, escaped getting sacked numerous times, threw the ball downfield, better than Alex smith most of the time. H's the qb the rest of the year IMO and the team is a legit Super Bowl contendor with him.

the team is a legit Super Bowl contendor with him.
They were a legit contender with Alex Smith. They may be a favorite now.
I'm a 49ers fan and i honestly don't think they were a legit contendor with smith. They never showed they can come back from a 10pt deficit with smith at the helm. Just look at the game vs the giants this year. They can move the ball with kapernick and not only that but hes a weapon by the goalline which means less fg attempts

. Smith essentially only came back on a 1-year deal. The mentally fragile Smith has responded this year with 8 YPA and a triple digit QB rating.
Yea while leading an offense that I think was 29th or 30th in net passing yards per game and barely cracking 200 yards a game. Smith is basically performing like he did last season. You know the season he had and entered FA and no one wanted him because he's a game manager.
?? Kaepernick threw for under 250 yards, too....
He could have thrown for more, but Harbaugh reigned in the passing game after the big lead and game was decided. He did most of the damage in the first half. Key stat from the last game: Kaep was 7-12 passing on 3rd down. His abilty to stretch plays with his mobility and the field with his arm can only help them more on 3rd down in both the pass and run, which has been a poor stat for the 49er offense for around 4 years running or more now.
And again, under 250 yards....

. Smith essentially only came back on a 1-year deal. The mentally fragile Smith has responded this year with 8 YPA and a triple digit QB rating.
Yea while leading an offense that I think was 29th or 30th in net passing yards per game and barely cracking 200 yards a game. Smith is basically performing like he did last season. You know the season he had and entered FA and no one wanted him because he's a game manager.
He could have thrown for more, but Harbaugh reigned in the passing game after the big lead and game was decided. He did most of the damage in the first half. Key stat from the last game: Kaep was 7-12 passing on 3rd down. His abilty to stretch plays with his mobility and the field with his arm can only help them more on 3rd down in both the pass and run, which has been a poor stat for the 49er offense for around 4 years running or more now.
250+ total yards in both starts though. A yard is a yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brees was under 250 until the last pass to Sproles.

I have both Kaepernick & Brees and I am thinking about trading Brees because I have Forte / MJD / RUNDMC and need RB help.

Kaepernick did well especially going into NO.

Brees was under 250 until the last pass to Sproles.I have both Kaepernick & Brees and I am thinking about trading Brees because I have Forte / MJD / RUNDMC and need RB help.Kaepernick did well especially going into NO.
What do you mean, "especially going into NO"? New Orleans' defense is Charmin soft. 31st in passing yards allowed, 32nd in passing TDs allowed, 32nd in net yards per attempt allowed. Drew Brees has been awesome, but New Orleans' defense has made every QB who faces them look like Drew Brees.

So I was only casually watching tonight due to family being in town for the weekend. Can someone tell me that Keap played better than his statline shows? Besides the rushing TD, it basically looked like any given Alex Smith statline and I was hoping for more vs. the Saints D. I noticed a few dropped balls, but also noticed an ugly looking fade that could have been a pick 6. Also, why so many delay of game penalties?

This seems like the kind of game that had Alex started, the Alex haters would have said "the D won it".

I'm gonna guess you didn't watch either of these games and are just looking at the numbers, huh?

So I was only casually watching tonight due to family being in town for the weekend. Can someone tell me that Keap played better than his statline shows? Besides the rushing TD, it basically looked like any given Alex Smith statline and I was hoping for more vs. the Saints D. I noticed a few dropped balls, but also noticed an ugly looking fade that could have been a pick 6. Also, why so many delay of game penalties?This seems like the kind of game that had Alex started, the Alex haters would have said "the D won it".
Looked much better on 3rd downs. I think it was 3rd and 2 in a huge series and Kaep found Delanie DOWN FIELD for a massive gain.Kaep's feet bought him time in a few series where Alex would have definitely taken a sack.All in all, I would say that he def played way better than his stat line shows. Like you said, a couple of dropped balls and one suspect penalty on a Crabtree catch that would have kept a drive alive.Kaep still made some mistakes (delay of game, that fade route, etc), but he played pretty solid.

So I was only casually watching tonight due to family being in town for the weekend. Can someone tell me that Keap played better than his statline shows? Besides the rushing TD, it basically looked like any given Alex Smith statline and I was hoping for more vs. the Saints D. I noticed a few dropped balls, but also noticed an ugly looking fade that could have been a pick 6. Also, why so many delay of game penalties?This seems like the kind of game that had Alex started, the Alex haters would have said "the D won it".
To be fair, the end stat line isn't the sexiest of results. And not only that, but the Saints are a godawful defense. And you're right, if Alex put up that line there would be critics.That said, the 3rd down plays made me real happy. Our boy was chucking the ball on 3rd down for big chunks of yardage. Soooo wonderful to see 3rd and 5 and think there's actually a chance they won't punt or barely snag those 5 yards, but instead gamble and hit on some bombs. And while Alex has shown himself to be elusive in the pocket to a certain extent, Kaepernick was much more nimble. I'm curious to see how he fares when they need to pass more. The Niners handled New Orleans for most of this game and there wasn't a need to chuck the ball 50+ times (yes, I'm aware that also fits Alex).I'm not ready to put Colin in the HoF or cut Alex from the roster, but Kaepernick should imo definitely be given another start. We'll see how it shakes. :shrug:

Drew Brees threw two pick-sixes. For some of the third and all of the 4th quarter, the Niners protected a 10 pt lead by running the ball, milking clock, and settling for punts and field goals.

Well, looking like I am going to drop Cutler and make a bid, hopefully I can get him. Not like he could be worse than Cutler anyway.

Sounds like the QB merry go round continues at least for another week. According to Mike and Mike, Harbaugh said Smith didn't start because of the concussion symptoms, and that he had hoped to work him in slowly......sorry no link

Thought he looked goodMade some real nice throws :thumbup:
he looked really good for a guy in his 2nd start. he played within himself and really only forced things on time. i was expecting him to get a case of the yips in the second half after that INT but he played with tremendous poise with that 90+ yard drive that killed my Saints. great coaching by harbaugh here.

Fantasy wise, his floor is about 20 pts but his ceiling isn't much higher due to the 49ers run game and defense.
I'm going to have to disagree with this. In my league (which has mostly standard scoring, but rewards for TDs over 40 yards and such), he just got 20 points playing the last placed defense in the league (and by a good margin, they give up over 40 yards per game more than the 31st ranked defense). If we compare Kaepernick's 20 fantasy points, and 212 passing yards to the other QBs who have faced the Saints this year (in reverse order, and I took out Cassel as I doubt he's rostered in the average league)....Palmer 23 points (312 passing yards)Matt Ryan 40 points (411 passing yards)Mike Vick (yes, that Mike Vick) 23 points (272 passing yards)P Manning 35 points (305 passing yards)Freeman 41 points (420 passing yards)Rivers 29 points (354 passing yards)Rodgers 41 points (319 passing yards)Newton 27 points (253 passing yards)RG3 34 points (320 passing yards in first game in NFL)Kaepernick had the lowest point total, and the lowest passing yardage total, and was 39% and 36% below the average for both. Now I'm not saying he's bad, far from it. I just don't see him as a fantasy starter this season.

Sounds like the QB merry go round continues at least for another week. According to Mike and Mike, Harbaugh said Smith didn't start because of the concussion symptoms, and that he had hoped to work him in slowly......sorry no link
If I missed it, I apologize in advance but this is something (if true) Harbaugh should have said much sooner. It looks a lot more like Smith's replacement played well and he's not getting his job back.

Fantasy wise, his floor is about 20 pts but his ceiling isn't much higher due to the 49ers run game and defense.
I'm going to have to disagree with this. In my league (which has mostly standard scoring, but rewards for TDs over 40 yards and such), he just got 20 points playing the last placed defense in the league (and by a good margin, they give up over 40 yards per game more than the 31st ranked defense). If we compare Kaepernick's 20 fantasy points, and 212 passing yards to the other QBs who have faced the Saints this year (in reverse order, and I took out Cassel as I doubt he's rostered in the average league)....Palmer 23 points (312 passing yards)Matt Ryan 40 points (411 passing yards)Mike Vick (yes, that Mike Vick) 23 points (272 passing yards)P Manning 35 points (305 passing yards)Freeman 41 points (420 passing yards)Rivers 29 points (354 passing yards)Rodgers 41 points (319 passing yards)Newton 27 points (253 passing yards)RG3 34 points (320 passing yards in first game in NFL)Kaepernick had the lowest point total, and the lowest passing yardage total, and was 39% and 36% below the average for both. Now I'm not saying he's bad, far from it. I just don't see him as a fantasy starter this season.
so you dont get points for rushing yards?

Agreed - rushing yards are obviously highly important for Kaep's fantasy potential. Otherwise, he's a game manager with limited passing upside in the form of Joe Flacco.

Unless Harbaugh takes the reins off or the defense falters, neither of which is likely to happen this year, the rushing yards are key.

No, we do, and his 20 points above already have the rushing points included. He scored 20 points against the worst defense in the league (by a wide margin), which is less than every other QB has scored against them this year aside from Cassel. Even if you include his 27 rushing yards, he still had fewer yards against the Saints than any other QB did. He was a fine game manager, which unfortunately is all he'll be for quite some time with that defense and running game.

I have Rivers, Fitzpatrick and Kaepernick and I won because I played Kaepernick, in my league Rivers got 10.6 pts, Fitz got 9.2 and Kaep got 17 pts so I'm pretty happy with his game. I do believe if the game was closer, Kaep would have scored more points. So for somebody desperate for a half-way decent QB, I think he'll be ok.

No, we do, and his 20 points above already have the rushing points included. He scored 20 points against the worst defense in the league (by a wide margin), which is less than every other QB has scored against them this year aside from Cassel. Even if you include his 27 rushing yards, he still had fewer yards against the Saints than any other QB did. He was a fine game manager, which unfortunately is all he'll be for quite some time with that defense and running game.
The reason I said his floor was 20 pts and why many are saying he will be a QB1 is due to the fact he can run the ball. Even in games when hes not putting up 300 yds passing (with their defense probably rare) he'll still put up 20-40 yds rushing which in some leagues is equivalent to 100 yds passing.

He might have scored more if not for both of the pick 6's (i.e the defenders were tackled instead of taking them to the house)... Of course he might have turned it over too, but aside from the boneheaded int, he looked pretty good.

I agree with all of this, BUT... hard to ignore how the Niners offense looked tonight. To me it seems like they've gone stagnant on offense with Alex Smith. And welcome back to "catching passes" Vernon Davis.I for one was shocked to see the full playbook on display. No holding back at all for the 49er play-callers tonight.
Following Sunday's catch-less Week 12 game, Vernon Davis told reporters that he believes Alex Smith should be the 49ers' starting quarterback.Although Jim Harbaugh made the correct on-field decision to bench Smith for Colin Kaepernick, one of the risks he ran was creating a locker-room divide. "It's difficult, but I think Alex is still the man," said Davis. "In my heart I strongly believe that and you'll know next week. ... I'm sure Alex is still our guy." Kaepernick is still expected to start in Week 13 at St. Louis

very pedestrian (real life) performance against the worst pass defense in football.
Yep 9.24 YPA is horrible
All I'm saying is you can't make the claim that 20 points is his floor when he just scored that amount against by far the worst defense in the league.
You have to account for game situation. The defense scored 2 TDs. He didn't need to do much. I think even the top shelf QBs (excluding Brady and their love of running up the score) would have had a similar stat line in that situation.

Users who are viewing this thread