Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
squistion

Colin Kaepernick Thread - Kaep and NFL reach grievance settlement resolution.

And James Harrison:

Speak For Yourself‏Verified account @SFY 3h3 hours ago

"I don't see how you can tell another grown man exactly what it is he should do... This whole era of everyone believing they're bigger than what they are is ridiculous." @Jharrison9292 on Colin Kaepernick calling out Travis Scott and Big Boi (Part 2)

• Like 3

And Marcellus Wiley (who is very much on the same side in spirit with what the protest originally was):

"Kaepernick has now turned into a comedy of errors...To tell Big Boi from Outkast that he's a sellout, that cuts deep." @MarcellusWiley takes off on Colin Kaepernick and his team for calling out Travis Scott and Big Boi for performing at Super Bowl.

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 3

On 1/15/2019 at 12:38 PM, tonydead said:

Trolling?  You posted this tripe to "blatant falsehoods":

There is no point what so ever to post "Don't try and confuse him with facts" other than to troll.  Especially when your account of the facts were dead wrong.  You both look incredibly stupid here.  

:goodposting:

12 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Whitlock gets it: 

Speak For Yourself‏Verified account @SFY 4h4 hours ago

Whitlock: Colin Kaepernick is not a serious activist fighting for racial equality, he just wants to be famous.

Um, Kaepernick was famous before the protests.

And Jason Whitlock has made a cottage industry out of attacking Kaep for his own publicity purposes to advance his own career.

43 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

And Marcellus Wiley (who is very much on the same side in spirit with what the protest originally was):

"Kaepernick has now turned into a comedy of errors...To tell Big Boi from Outkast that he's a sellout, that cuts deep." @MarcellusWiley takes off on Colin Kaepernick and his team for calling out Travis Scott and Big Boi for performing at Super Bowl.

How did he miss these?  Squid never misses Kappy tweets.

Edited by Da Guru
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, squistion said:

And Jason Whitlock has made a cottage industry out of attacking Kaep for his own publicity purposes to advance his own career.

Um..just like Kappy has made a little cottage industry out of being a martyr ….:yes: you have to at least admit that..

I think Kappy should be in the league in some fashion but he has turned into a sideshow.

Edited by Da Guru

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

Big Boi deserves respect. Kaep is a foolish man, and a horrible football player, and bad movement leader and other bad things probably. Most importantly he was a bad football player which is something that should never be forgotten.

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

Whitlock gets it: 

Whitlock: Colin Kaepernick is not a serious activist fighting for racial equality, he just wants to be famous.

Whitlock is a con man and felon so how can you take him...... oh yeah, right. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dedfin said:

Big Boi deserves respect. Kaep is a foolish man, and a horrible football player, and bad movement leader and other bad things probably. Most importantly he was a bad football player which is something that should never be forgotten.

I have always been a Kaepernick supporter but now I feel he is out of touch and making this more about him that the issues we need to deal with in society.   We are so far away from where this started and now we have brother vs brother arguing. Let the men play football and earn a great living, let the singers sing and ear a great living.  Don`t bring people down.

11 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

I dont know how else to describe it at this point. He did a nike promo for crying out loud. Hey colin, see that little swoosh thingy on all the NFL jerseys. 

12 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Whitlock gets it: 

I agree that Kaepernick is wrong on this one, although it's hard for me to know how much of that is just my pro-Outkast bias.

But Whitlock doesn't "get" anything. He's a fraud and a clown. It's fairly well-documented. And this is a really stupid statement. You can take issue with some of Kaep's actions, but he clearly does care about the issues. And he was already famous- he was a starting QB in the NFL for four straight years and went to a Super Bowl, for chrissakes. That's American royalty. He didn't know he'd be martyred when he started kneeling for the anthem- in fact he didn't even say anything about it and it took a couple games until the media noticed.

• Like 5

I have no special problem with NFL teams not signing Kaepernick, but it's ludicrous to say that he's not serious about racial equality.  The guy gave up a lucrative career over this issue.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

I agree that Kaepernick is wrong on this one, although it's hard for me to know how much of that is just my pro-Outkast bias.

But Whitlock doesn't "get" anything. He's a fraud and a clown. It's fairly well-documented. And this is a really stupid statement. You can take issue with some of Kaep's actions, but he clearly does care about the issues. And he was already famous- he was a starting QB in the NFL for four straight years and went to a Super Bowl, for chrissakes. That's American royalty. He didn't know he'd be martyred when he started kneeling for the anthem- in fact he didn't even say anything about it and it took a couple games until the media noticed.

I agree he did not know he would be martyred and was ill prepared when it caught fire. I think he got some bad advice after that.

56 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

That alone makes you famous?  I have never thought of Joe Flacco as being famous, but he was a starting QB for like a decade and he won that Super Bowl against Kaepernick, so he must be really famous, right? 

21 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

I agree he did not know he would be martyred and was ill prepared when it caught fire. I think he got some bad advice after that.

I definitely agree with this.  The media blew the story up like crazy and someone got in Kaepernick's ear and gave him some really bad advice. 

Just now, Ghost Rider said:

That alone makes you famous?  I have never thought of Joe Flacco as being famous, but he was a starting QB for like a decade and he won that Super Bowl against Kaepernick, so he must be really famous, right? 

I definitely agree with this.  The media blew the story up like crazy and someone got in Kaepernick's ear and gave him some really bad advice. 

Joe Flacco is unbelievably boring and is still definitely famous. He makes local and national commercials, including Super Bowl commercials. He's the subject of one of the great internet memes in sports. If the Ravens announced 5 years from now that they're putting a statue of him outside M&T Bank Stadium nobody would bat an eye. He's not quite as famous as Kaep, but the idea that Kaep made a strategic decision three years ago to get marginally more famous than he already was by becoming an activist for causes he didn't believe in is total nonsense.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I have no special problem with NFL teams not signing Kaepernick, but it's ludicrous to say that he's not serious about racial equality.  The guy gave up a lucrative career over this issue.

Kappy did not want to give it up as much as he was ousted for being bad for teams business. Kappy has been working out everyday trying to get back in ever since he opted out of his contract with the 49ers. I remember when he first opted out he thought he would be a hot commodity and was looking for huge money.  Now he would take the vet minimum to get back in.

Going back around 200 pages the bottom line is Kappy is good enough to be in the league on some team, but not good enough for the baggage and circus he brings with him.

1 minute ago, Da Guru said:

Kappy did not want to give it up as much as he was ousted for being bad for teams business. Kappy has been working out everyday trying to get back in ever since he opted out of his contract with the 49ers. I remember when he first opted out he thought he would be a hot commodity and was looking for huge money.  Now he would take the vet minimum to get back in.

Going back around 200 pages the bottom line is Kappy is good enough to be in the league on some team, but not good enough for the baggage and circus he brings with him.

I agree with the bolded part 100%.  I'm just saying that the guy took a big risk and wound up giving up a lot, so it seems pretty obvious that he's sincere about his beliefs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TobiasFunke said:

Joe Flacco is unbelievably boring and is still definitely famous. He makes local and national commercials, including Super Bowl commercials. He's the subject of one of the great internet memes in sports. If the Ravens announced 5 years from now that they're putting a statue of him outside M&T Bank Stadium nobody would bat an eye. He's not quite as famous as Kaep, but the idea that Kaep made a strategic decision three years ago to get marginally more famous than he already was by becoming an activist for causes he didn't believe in is total nonsense.

Agreed. I am not sure who said it in this thread, but it wasn't me.  I think Kaepernick was an opportunist, taking advantage of the media blowing this story up, and is now content being a martyr, and considering Nike probably paid him nicely, he is doing just fine. God Bless America! 

That is ultimately the bottom line, but some will simply not admit that. 

7 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Agreed

4 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I agree with the bolded part 100%.  I'm just saying that the guy took a big risk and wound up giving up a lot, so it seems pretty obvious that he's sincere about his beliefs.

Agreed

8 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

...the bottom line is Kappy is good enough to be in the league on some team, but not good enough for the baggage and circus he brings with him.

That is ultimately the bottom line, but some will simply not admit that. 

I disagree, and I think this is where there's a disconnect.  Most everyone agrees with the statement- those who take issue with his treatment (like me) think the problem is that his activism shouldn't create that much baggage and a circus. There are dozens if not hundreds of athletes who have done things that any reasonable person would conclude should be more controversial and carry more baggage, from bigotry against the LGBTQ community to driving drunk to abusing women to cheating at sports and on and on and on. What does it say about us as sports fans and as a country that those things create less "baggage and circus" than kneeling during a song to protest racial injustice in law enforcement?

16 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

I disagree, and I think this is where there's a disconnect.  Most everyone agrees with the statement- those who take issue with his treatment (like me) think the problem is that his activism shouldn't create that much baggage and a circus. There are dozens if not hundreds of athletes who have done things that any reasonable person would conclude should be more controversial and carry more baggage, from bigotry against the LGBTQ community to driving drunk to abusing women to cheating at sports and on and on and on. What does it say about us as sports fans and as a country that those things create less "baggage and circus" than kneeling during a song to protest racial injustice in law enforcement?

I think it says more about the media, who blew this story up into what it is because they rub themselves raw at night just thinking about any story with a race angle.  Had they not, it likely becomes one of those 149 new stories a week that blows over and is forgotten by the weekend, and Kaepernick likely ends up as a backup somewhere or maybe even a chance to battle it out for a starting job.  But it became a huge national story and then President Doofus chimed in and made it worse. 

Edited by Ghost Rider

14 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Toby..you have to blame the media for that. If it was reported after the first game and let go he would still be in the league.  The media made him a circus clown. Every week the story got bigger.   Sad thing is now it is old news and nobody cares or reports it anymore and Kappy is out of a job.

1 minute ago, Ghost Rider said:

I think it says more about the media, who blew this story up into what it is because they rub themselves raw at night just thinking about any story with a race angle.  Had they not, it likely becomes one of those 149 new stories a week that blows over and is forgotten by the weekend, and Kaepernick likely ends up as a backup somewhere or maybe even a chance to battle it out for a starting job.  But it became a huge national story and then President Doofus chimed in and made it worse. 

Toby..you have to blame the media for that. If it was reported after the first game and let go he would still be in the league.  The media made him a circus clown. Every week the story got bigger.   Sad thing is now it is old news and nobody cares or reports it anymore and Kappy is out of a job.

I agree with you guys to some extent on this. But the media is also a reflection of their readers/viewers and their priorities.  Either way I don't think it undermines my point- the primary problem many people had with how it went down wasn't necessarily the owners reacting to the cost/benefit of rostering him, it was why the cost/benefit was that way in the first place considering all the other stuff other athletes do that we're willing to wave off.  What the media and the president did to influence that is certainly part of that problem.

2 minutes ago, ridicule said:

All of this has been said before, and will be said again...

True but now Kaep is going after Big Boi. So now we have the undeniable greatness of Outkast as a unifying force.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

:lmao: He was benched for Blaine Gabbert.  His career was over long before that.

• Like 1

He was benched for Blaine Gabbert.  

:coffee:

Colin Kaepernick Retweeted

Melissa Jacobs‏ @thefootballgirl 30 Dec 2018

No No No, Al Michaels. Blaine Gabbert did not beat Colin Kaepernick for the starting job. Kap entered that season injured. Can't believe we're still doing this narrative.

https://twitter.com/thefootballgirl/status/1079560754963963904

likefinewine1967‏ @BrothaDMA 9h9 hours ago

He was not replaced as a starter by Gabbert. Get your facts straight. Kap was injured at the beginning of the 2016 season. Gabbert started in his place. Kap took over in Week 6 and started the remainder of the season. He was benched in the second half of a game in Chicago.

The only game Kap was "benched" in favor of Gabbert was the Week 12 game at Chicago. He was pulled at halftime and Gabbert finished the game. Kap started the very next week at home vs the NY Jets. Get your facts right! Kaepernick NEVER lost his starting job to Gabbert!!!

https://twitter.com/BrothaDMA/status/1085933396793020416

19 minutes ago, squistion said:

The only game Kap was "benched" in favor of Gabbert was the Week 12 game at Chicago. He was pulled at halftime and Gabbert finished the game. 

Thanks for confirming my post.  

Edited by tjnc09

I love the "I claim to have you on ignore, but I don't really, so I'm going to quote you without quoting you" response to prove my point.

23 minutes ago, squistion said:

:coffee:

Colin Kaepernick Retweeted

Melissa Jacobs‏ @thefootballgirl 30 Dec 2018

No No No, Al Michaels. Blaine Gabbert did not beat Colin Kaepernick for the starting job. Kap entered that season injured. Can't believe we're still doing this narrative.

https://twitter.com/thefootballgirl/status/1079560754963963904

likefinewine1967‏ @BrothaDMA 9h9 hours ago

He was not replaced as a starter by Gabbert. Get your facts straight. Kap was injured at the beginning of the 2016 season. Gabbert started in his place. Kap took over in Week 6 and started the remainder of the season. He was benched in the second half of a game in Chicago.

The only game Kap was "benched" in favor of Gabbert was the Week 12 game at Chicago. He was pulled at halftime and Gabbert finished the game. Kap started the very next week at home vs the NY Jets. Get your facts right! Kaepernick NEVER lost his starting job to Gabbert!!!

https://twitter.com/BrothaDMA/status/1085933396793020416

You knew the attendance facts were wrong.

Now you want the facts to be correct?

• Laughing 1

15 hours ago, squistion said:

Kaep was a mediocre 3rd string QB that nobody really cared about. A flash in the pan that had already faded.

Now he's a 'revolutionary' and huge name. It's silly to argue that he was anywhere close to as famous before manufacturing this outrage.

Edited by Warrior

2 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

If the Ravens announced 5 years from now that they're putting a statue of him outside M&T Bank Stadium nobody would bat an eye.

lol...wut

The 49ers have informed Kaepernick that former Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert will start versus the Atlanta Falcons this week, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports, via a source informed of the situation.

Kaepernick faced a locker-room split, per Rapoport. The organization's decision makers stayed with the 2012 breakout star as long as they could, but dysfunction on offense could no longer be ignored.

So this never happened in 2015?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Warrior said:

Kaep was a mediocre 3rd string QB that nobody really cared about. A flash in the pan that had already faded.

Now he's a 'revolutionary' and huge name. It's silly to argue that he was anywhere close to as famous before manufacturing this outrage.

Whitlock suggested he wasn't famous at all, which was not true. There are degrees of fame, which is name recognition and how many people know who you are and by taking his team to two conference championship games and one Super Bowl, Kaep did have a certain amount of fame. The kneeling protest brought him considerably more fame, but as has been noted, that was probably not his intent and he may have naively believed that it would be ignored like it was the first few games in preseason.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, squistion said:

Whitlock suggested he wasn't famous at all, which was not true. There are degrees of fame, which is name recognition and how many people know who you are and by taking his team to two conference championship games and one Super Bowl, Kaep did have a certain amount of fame. The kneeling protest brought him considerably more fame, but as has been noted, that was probably not his intent and he may have naively believed that it would be ignored like it was the first few games in preseason.  

Took 282 pages but finally...a rational post.  I will give you a like on that one.

Edited by Da Guru
  • Like 1

The funny thing is if someone gave him a backup job in the nfl you would actually see less of him. Right now he has all the time in the world to do ads and interviews.

2 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

The funny thing is if someone gave him a backup job in the nfl you would actually see less of him. Right now he has all the time in the world to do ads and interviews.

He hasn't done any interviews since 2016 IIRC. His only public comments have been through social media, from his agent, or when he has accepted some sort of award. For someone who is supposedly doing this for fame, one would think he would have a much higher profile.

14 minutes ago, squistion said:

He hasn't done any interviews since 2016 IIRC. His only public comments have been through social media, from his agent, or when he has accepted some sort of award. For someone who is supposedly doing this for fame, one would think he would have a much higher profile.

You forgot his Nike commercial

• Laughing 1

18 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Whitlock gets it: 

I’m not so sure that this particular incident was Kaepernick trying to increase his fame, the timeline as I understand it

1.       Someone reports that Scott consulted with Kaepernick

2.       Kaepernick says there was no consultation

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Wait, you think he gave up being an NFL QB on purpose?

31 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Wait, you think he gave up being an NFL QB on purpose?

Never wanted out....now Kaps been begging to get back in for two years.

• Like 1

Squis has to slap a like on this one. Courageous lady willing unite and lead. Nike in Gladys future?

Glady Knight wants to give the National Anthem back its voice.

I understand that Mr. Kaepernick is protesting two things, and they are police violence and injustice,” she wrote. “It is unfortunate that our National Anthem has been dragged into this debate when the distinctive senses of the National Anthem and fighting for justice should each stand alone.

“I am here today and on Sunday, Feb. 3 to give the Anthem back its voice, to stand for that historic choice of words, the way it unites us when we hear it and to free it from the same prejudices and struggles I have fought long and hard for all my life, from walking back hallways, from marching with our social leaders, from using my voice for good — I have been in the forefront of this battle longer than most of those voicing their opinions to win the right to sing our country’s Anthem on a stage as large as the Super Bowl LIII.

“No matter who chooses to deflect with this narrative and continue to mix these two in the same message, it is not so and cannot be made so by anyone speaking it.  I pray that this National Anthem will bring us all together in a way never before witnessed and we can move forward and untangle these truths which mean so much to all of us.”

Edited by Da Guru
  • Like 3

On 1/13/2019 at 1:50 PM, timschochet said:

I really hate the Patriots. 

Just needed to post that here somewhere. Carry on. 

I just want to reiterate this.

6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I just want to reiterate this.

Tom Brady is on The Midnight Train to Georgia!

20 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Squis has to slap a like on this one. Courageous lady willing unite and lead. Nike in Gladys future?

Glady Knight wants to give the National Anthem back its voice.

I understand that Mr. Kaepernick is protesting two things, and they are police violence and injustice,” she wrote. “It is unfortunate that our National Anthem has been dragged into this debate when the distinctive senses of the National Anthem and fighting for justice should each stand alone.

“I am here today and on Sunday, Feb. 3 to give the Anthem back its voice, to stand for that historic choice of words, the way it unites us when we hear it and to free it from the same prejudices and struggles I have fought long and hard for all my life, from walking back hallways, from marching with our social leaders, from using my voice for good — I have been in the forefront of this battle longer than most of those voicing their opinions to win the right to sing our country’s Anthem on a stage as large as the Super Bowl LIII.

“No matter who chooses to deflect with this narrative and continue to mix these two in the same message, it is not so and cannot be made so by anyone speaking it.  I pray that this National Anthem will bring us all together in a way never before witnessed and we can move forward and untangle these truths which mean so much to all of us.”

:thumbup: to Gladys Knight

• Like 1

10 hours ago, squistion said:

This will make you feel better.

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 5m5 minutes ago

Congratulations to Bob Kraft, Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and the entire New England Patriots team on a great game and season. Will be a fantastic Super Bowl!

No Gladys Knight love? In these times an entertainer trying to unite and include everyone is very rare. I thought you would love this one.

Edited by Da Guru

20 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

No Gladys Knight love? In these times an entertainer trying to unite and include everyone is very rare. I thought you would love this one.

Of course not, she was critical of all those who have protested racial injustice by silently kneeling. She can go and jump on the midnight train to Georgia as far as I'm concerned.