Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
pghrob

Dynasty Watch 2017 Rookie & Former Pitt RB James Conner

Recommended Posts

If this one is a minor injury/one he can play through, Conner owners who don't own Samuels/Snell dodged a bullet. This guy gets nicked up a lot. I'd bet he will miss some games before the end of the year.

Edited by Twenty-Four Eighty-Four
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, need2know said:

He was just starting to look really good too.  Does he get hurt every game or is it just me?

Yep was this way back in his Pitt days.   I don't know if it is his style of running or just plain bad luck but he gets hurt a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Godsbrother said:

Yep was this way back in his Pitt days.   I don't know if it is his style of running or just plain bad luck but he gets hurt a lot.

I really like the way he plays though.  You can tell he loves the game

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Yep was this way back in his Pitt days.   I don't know if it is his style of running or just plain bad luck but he gets hurt a lot.

OK but to be fair literally EVERY SINGLE Pittsburgh RB/FB is injured 🚑 or coming off an injury.

RB: James Conner (inj), Jaylen Samuels (3RB), Benny Snell Jr. (inj)
FB: Roosevelt Nix (inj)

Conner had to take every snap once Snell went down so his injury occurred on his 23rd carry.  Snell got dinged on his 5th.

Fair is fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The patient is allowed to return to sports when there is full and painless range of motion, no more tenderness when the AC joint is touched, and manual traction does not cause pain. This usually takes about 2 weeks for a grade I injury, 6 weeks for a grade II injury, and up to 12 weeks for a grade III injury.

 

 

Guess we will have to wait on the severity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conner and Snell are undergoing MRIs today.  Tomlin said that Samuels was actually cleared to play last week but didn't since he hadn't had enough practice.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, he plays through a lot, but he sure does seem to get dinged quite a bit.  Hoping this one is of the missing 1 week variety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, brewer said:

Hoping this one is of the missing 1 week variety.

Steelers Depot  🎃 🧙‍♀️ 🧛‍♂️‏ @Steelersdepot

James Conner stated this evening on @937theFan that he might be a game-time decision against the Colts due to his shoulder injury. #Steelers

2:23 PM - 29 Oct 2019

-------------------------------------

:thumbup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He seems to suffer these injuries that look real bad at first glance, then turn out to be not as bad. Either that or he’s just a tough dude who plays through injuries others may not.

As of right now looks like maybe a one week absence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

James Conner (shoulder) was sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Conner would be limited to begin the week, so this news isn't a surprise. His availability in Friday's practice is worth monitoring even though he reportedly doesn't need a full week of work to suit up for Week 9. Jaylen Samuels remains fantasy's most important waiver pickup no matter Conner's final status.

SOURCE: Ray Fittipaldo on Twitter

Oct 30, 2019, 3:33 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RushHour said:

He seems to suffer these injuries that look real bad at first glance, then turn out to be not as bad. Either that or he’s just a tough dude who plays through injuries others may not.

As of right now looks like maybe a one week absence.

I kinda hope he sits out a week, give everything a week to heal up. I don't know why they kept feeding him late in the Miami game. Conner was banged up going into the bye, they could have been using Edmunds to run out the clock. Miami wasn't about to come back. They could stop giving up sacks and turnovers in the second half.

If Conner is out, I'd bet on Samuels being a top-10 RB this week, good matchup, and he's been rested. From a Steelers standpoint, they should work him in more than they were before he got injured regardless of Conner's health. Like 65-35.

If Conner plays, I think it could be closer to a 50-50 backfield this week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

James Conner (shoulder) remained sidelined at Thursday's practice.

Benny Snell (knee) was also a spectator Thursday. Neither are trending in the right direction for Week 9, though Friday's final injury report should provide us more clarity. Jaylen Samuels, who is due back from a month-long knee injury, would be in line for a near every-down role if Conner misses Sunday's home matchup with Indianapolis.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Oct 31, 2019, 3:28 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ed Bouchette, Steeler beat writer said on the local news cast that he thinks Connor is very likely out this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Blick said:

Ed Bouchette, Steeler beat writer said on the local news cast that he thinks Connor is very likely out this weekend. 

Better for him and maybe for ff owners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Blick said:

Ed Bouchette, Steeler beat writer said on the local news cast that he thinks Connor is very likely out this weekend. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he were out beyond just this week. He's been dealing with several injuries before this one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, need2know said:

Hopefully just a one week thing

Wasn’t this injury a pain tolerance thing? If so, I would be shocked if he misses more games, but you never know nowadays...

Edited by Mario Wario

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports James Conner (shoulder) is not expected to play in Week 9 against the Colts.

He's also "in jeopardy" of missing Pittsburgh's Week 10 contest against the Rams. With Benny Snell (knee) additionally sidelined for the next few weeks following a meniscus trim, Jaylen Samuels projects to handle nearly every touch ahead of Trey Edmunds and Tony Brooks-James in the Steelers' next two games. Fire Samuels up with complete confidence as a low-end RB1 against Indy.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 3, 2019, 12:10 AM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This injury could easily turn into a 4-6 week injury or could even end up being season ending.  The Steelers have a lot of incentive to lie about the injury since preparing for Conner is far different than preparing for Samuels.  With the Steelers being 3-4, they will do anything that gives them even a slight edge.  If I owned Conner, I would be shopping him hard while the prognosis is still 1-2 weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

This injury could easily turn into a 4-6 week injury or could even end up being season ending.  The Steelers have a lot of incentive to lie about the injury since preparing for Conner is far different than preparing for Samuels.  With the Steelers being 3-4, they will do anything that gives them even a slight edge.  If I owned Conner, I would be shopping him hard while the prognosis is still 1-2 weeks.

It's an AC separation right? Don't think that's a season ender. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

It's an AC separation right? Don't think that's a season ender. 

An AC separation can be a 2 to 3 month injury when it is serious.  The training staff looked concerned when they were checking him out on the sideline.   And he was holding his arm like it was a serious injury.  Some people claim that one of the training staff mouthed "clavicle".  I watched the replay and couldn't tell what he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he was going to be out for 2 or 3 months why wouldn't they just IR him?  Odds are way better hes back next week rather than out for rest of season

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Don Hutson said:

An AC separation can be a 2 to 3 month injury when it is serious.  The training staff looked concerned when they were checking him out on the sideline.   And he was holding his arm like it was a serious injury.  Some people claim that one of the training staff mouthed "clavicle".  I watched the replay and couldn't tell what he said.

AC joint sprains are acromioclavicular. He may very well have been mouthing "clavicle," as that is the bone that ruptures up through the joint

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, need2know said:

If he was going to be out for 2 or 3 months why wouldn't they just IR him?  Odds are way better hes back next week rather than out for rest of season

They might not know how long he'll be out.  He is important enough that a roster spot is a small price to pay if there is any chance of him coming back sooner.  And it's not infrequent that a player will be put on IR several weeks after they are injured.  Injuries are not an exact science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rockaction said:

acromioclavicular

Dam. I can’t WAIT to get to use that word in a sentence!🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, G-King said:

Dam. I can’t WAIT to get to use that word in a sentence!🤔

Yep. It's a doozy. Also a joint that often gets injured weightlifting or through contact rather than rotation. I still need surgery from mine going awry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said James Conner (shoulder) will again be limited to begin the week.

Tomlin said he expects Conner to "perk up" as the week progresses and remained "optimistic" he'll suit up for Week 10 against the Rams. Even so, Tomlin added he would "make no bold predictions" on Conner's game day status. The oft-injured back will begin the week limited with an eye on Friday's practice to determine his official designation for Sunday. Jaylen Samuels needs to be rostered everywhere even if/when Conner's cleared.

SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter

Nov 5, 2019, 12:11 PM ET

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoBeDad said:

Is Trey Edwards worth a pickup. 

Only one game of data and this is elementary analysis, but feels like Trey is the runner and Samuels is the catcher.

Edited by VikingFrog
I can’t spell
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

Is Trey Edwards worth a pickup. 

Samuels was coming off a knee procedure & had over 20 touches. I'm sure they were limiting him somewhat.

I suspect Samuels will be the feature back if Conner is out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

Samuels was coming off a knee procedure & had over 20 touches. I'm sure they were limiting him somewhat.

I suspect Samuels will be the feature back if Conner is out.

I doubt that.  I'd pick up Edmunds for sure.

I'd rather have Samuels of course, but after last games usage I would not expect that he be featured if Conner is out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

Samuels was coming off a knee procedure & had over 20 touches. I'm sure they were limiting him somewhat.

I suspect Samuels will be the feature back if Conner is out.

The concern would be that Tomlin has never shown any real interest in pushing Samuels as a lead back, except out of absolute necessity (and even then not really). He was very keen to split the role  with Edmunds it seemed and that first long run from Edmunds gave him a great opportunity to do so. 

Edited by RushHour
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RushHour said:

The concern would be that Tomlin has never shown any real interest in pushing Samuels as a lead back, except out of absolute necessity (and even then not really). He was very keen to split the role  with Edmunds it seemed and that first long run from Edmunds gave him a great opportunity to do so. 

Last year in the 3 games Conner missed, Samuels got 54 touches (18 per game). The backup (Ridley) received 11 touches total.

Edmunds, much like Snell, is just a guy. PIT was surely monitoring Samuels' touches last week after the knee procedure, but he still had 21. Edmunds got the long run to pad his stats, but the hole was huge.

Under normal circumstances, Conner is the feature back & Samuels is the clear handcuff.

 

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

Is Trey Edwards worth a pickup. 

Edmunds seemed to be the short yardage back last week which was troubling to me since I have Samuels.  Edmunds should have scored from the one yard line but missed the hole... should have bounced it to the left for a walk in TD.  Tomlin even called out the play in his presser (although not Edmunds by name) to answer why the running game isn't producing more.

Is he worth a pickup?  Depends on your roster but is currently 2nd on the depth chart (or possibly 1B) due to injuries.  When all are healthy this is the pecking order:  Conner, Samuels, Snell, Edmunds.  Not sure when Conner and Snell are expected back so picking him up seems to be a better short term play than long term.  When Conner and Snell return he's sliding back down the depth chart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whole-show said:

Not expected to play Sunday per Gerry Dulac 

Trey Edmunds also sidelined at practice due to a rib injury suffered in the Sunday game. Next up is tiny speedy Oregon Duck Tony Brook-James, UDFA cut by the Falcons. Per Rotoworld.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

Trey Edmunds also sidelined at practice due to a rib injury suffered in the Sunday game. Next up is tiny speedy Oregon Duck Tony Brook-James, UDFA cut by the Falcons. Per Rotoworld.

Brook-James will have more rushes book it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, starks said:

Brook-James will have more rushes book it. 

I wouldn't start him, but if he does well he could be a waiver wire darling, so a preemptive pickup would be in order. But Conners could return next week. There is high uncertainity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, whole-show said:

Not expected to play Sunday per Gerry Dulac 

At this point, those Le'Veon Bell trade rumors are starting to look more believable. With Pittsburgh playing Cleveland Thursday night next week, I wouldn't take it for granted that Conner is ready for that game either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, travdogg said:

At this point, those Le'Veon Bell trade rumors are starting to look more believable. With Pittsburgh playing Cleveland Thursday night next week, I wouldn't take it for granted that Conner is ready for that game either.

Maybe but the Steelers have no cap space to sign Bell even if the Jets were giving him away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Maybe but the Steelers have no cap space to sign Bell even if the Jets were giving him away

Bell only would have cost 1 Million dollars, they could have easily found room. Its in 2020 when the big money would have hit.

Either way, it didn't happen, but it is making me think the Steelers were acutely aware that Conner was never playing last week, and may miss several weeks in total. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Bell only would have cost 1 Million dollars, they could have easily found room. Its in 2020 when the big money would have hit.

Either way, it didn't happen, but it is making me think the Steelers were acutely aware that Conner was never playing last week, and may miss several weeks in total. 

The Steelers are only $6.1 million under the 2020 salary cap so the trade would have immediately put them about $7 million over the cap.  Roethlisberger is due $21 million in cash so his contract can be restructured to create cap room.  My guess is that the Steelers wanted the Jets to take a player in return that is overpaid this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.