What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Conner, ARZ (1 Viewer)

The patient is allowed to return to sports when there is full and painless range of motion, no more tenderness when the AC joint is touched, and manual traction does not cause pain. This usually takes about 2 weeks for a grade I injury, 6 weeks for a grade II injury, and up to 12 weeks for a grade III injury.

Guess we will have to wait on the severity 

To be fair, he plays through a lot, but he sure does seem to get dinged quite a bit.  Hoping this one is of the missing 1 week variety.

Hoping this one is of the missing 1 week variety.
Steelers Depot  🎃 🧙‍♀️ 🧛‍♂️‏ @Steelersdepot

James Conner stated this evening on @937theFan that he might be a game-time decision against the Colts due to his shoulder injury. #Steelers

2:23 PM - 29 Oct 2019

-------------------------------------

:thumbup:

He seems to suffer these injuries that look real bad at first glance, then turn out to be not as bad. Either that or he’s just a tough dude who plays through injuries others may not.

As of right now looks like maybe a one week absence.

James Conner (shoulder) was sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Conner would be limited to begin the week, so this news isn't a surprise. His availability in Friday's practice is worth monitoring even though he reportedly doesn't need a full week of work to suit up for Week 9. Jaylen Samuels remains fantasy's most important waiver pickup no matter Conner's final status.

SOURCE: Ray Fittipaldo on Twitter

Oct 30, 2019, 3:33 PM ET

RushHour said:
He seems to suffer these injuries that look real bad at first glance, then turn out to be not as bad. Either that or he’s just a tough dude who plays through injuries others may not.

As of right now looks like maybe a one week absence.
I kinda hope he sits out a week, give everything a week to heal up. I don't know why they kept feeding him late in the Miami game. Conner was banged up going into the bye, they could have been using Edmunds to run out the clock. Miami wasn't about to come back. They could stop giving up sacks and turnovers in the second half.

If Conner is out, I'd bet on Samuels being a top-10 RB this week, good matchup, and he's been rested. From a Steelers standpoint, they should work him in more than they were before he got injured regardless of Conner's health. Like 65-35.

If Conner plays, I think it could be closer to a 50-50 backfield this week.

James Conner (shoulder) remained sidelined at Thursday's practice.

Benny Snell (knee) was also a spectator Thursday. Neither are trending in the right direction for Week 9, though Friday's final injury report should provide us more clarity. Jaylen Samuels, who is due back from a month-long knee injury, would be in line for a near every-down role if Conner misses Sunday's home matchup with Indianapolis.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Oct 31, 2019, 3:28 PM ET

Ed Bouchette, Steeler beat writer said on the local news cast that he thinks Connor is very likely out this weekend. 

Ed Bouchette, Steeler beat writer said on the local news cast that he thinks Connor is very likely out this weekend. 
I wouldn't be surprised if he were out beyond just this week. He's been dealing with several injuries before this one.  

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports James Conner (shoulder) is not expected to play in Week 9 against the Colts.

He's also "in jeopardy" of missing Pittsburgh's Week 10 contest against the Rams. With Benny Snell (knee) additionally sidelined for the next few weeks following a meniscus trim, Jaylen Samuels projects to handle nearly every touch ahead of Trey Edmunds and Tony Brooks-James in the Steelers' next two games. Fire Samuels up with complete confidence as a low-end RB1 against Indy.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 3, 2019, 12:10 AM ET

This injury could easily turn into a 4-6 week injury or could even end up being season ending.  The Steelers have a lot of incentive to lie about the injury since preparing for Conner is far different than preparing for Samuels.  With the Steelers being 3-4, they will do anything that gives them even a slight edge.  If I owned Conner, I would be shopping him hard while the prognosis is still 1-2 weeks.

Don Hutson said:
This injury could easily turn into a 4-6 week injury or could even end up being season ending.  The Steelers have a lot of incentive to lie about the injury since preparing for Conner is far different than preparing for Samuels.  With the Steelers being 3-4, they will do anything that gives them even a slight edge.  If I owned Conner, I would be shopping him hard while the prognosis is still 1-2 weeks.
It's an AC separation right? Don't think that's a season ender. 

It's an AC separation right? Don't think that's a season ender. 
An AC separation can be a 2 to 3 month injury when it is serious.  The training staff looked concerned when they were checking him out on the sideline.   And he was holding his arm like it was a serious injury.  Some people claim that one of the training staff mouthed "clavicle".  I watched the replay and couldn't tell what he said.

If he was going to be out for 2 or 3 months why wouldn't they just IR him?  Odds are way better hes back next week rather than out for rest of season

An AC separation can be a 2 to 3 month injury when it is serious.  The training staff looked concerned when they were checking him out on the sideline.   And he was holding his arm like it was a serious injury.  Some people claim that one of the training staff mouthed "clavicle".  I watched the replay and couldn't tell what he said.
AC joint sprains are acromioclavicular. He may very well have been mouthing "clavicle," as that is the bone that ruptures up through the joint

If he was going to be out for 2 or 3 months why wouldn't they just IR him?  Odds are way better hes back next week rather than out for rest of season
They might not know how long he'll be out.  He is important enough that a roster spot is a small price to pay if there is any chance of him coming back sooner.  And it's not infrequent that a player will be put on IR several weeks after they are injured.  Injuries are not an exact science.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said James Conner (shoulder) will again be limited to begin the week.

Tomlin said he expects Conner to "perk up" as the week progresses and remained "optimistic" he'll suit up for Week 10 against the Rams. Even so, Tomlin added he would "make no bold predictions" on Conner's game day status. The oft-injured back will begin the week limited with an eye on Friday's practice to determine his official designation for Sunday. Jaylen Samuels needs to be rostered everywhere even if/when Conner's cleared.

SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter

Nov 5, 2019, 12:11 PM ET

Samuels was coming off a knee procedure & had over 20 touches. I'm sure they were limiting him somewhat.

I suspect Samuels will be the feature back if Conner is out.
I doubt that.  I'd pick up Edmunds for sure.

I'd rather have Samuels of course, but after last games usage I would not expect that he be featured if Conner is out.  

Samuels was coming off a knee procedure & had over 20 touches. I'm sure they were limiting him somewhat.

I suspect Samuels will be the feature back if Conner is out.
The concern would be that Tomlin has never shown any real interest in pushing Samuels as a lead back, except out of absolute necessity (and even then not really). He was very keen to split the role  with Edmunds it seemed and that first long run from Edmunds gave him a great opportunity to do so. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The concern would be that Tomlin has never shown any real interest in pushing Samuels as a lead back, except out of absolute necessity (and even then not really). He was very keen to split the role  with Edmunds it seemed and that first long run from Edmunds gave him a great opportunity to do so. 
Last year in the 3 games Conner missed, Samuels got 54 touches (18 per game). The backup (Ridley) received 11 touches total.

Edmunds, much like Snell, is just a guy. PIT was surely monitoring Samuels' touches last week after the knee procedure, but he still had 21. Edmunds got the long run to pad his stats, but the hole was huge.

Under normal circumstances, Conner is the feature back & Samuels is the clear handcuff.

Is Trey Edwards worth a pickup. 
Edmunds seemed to be the short yardage back last week which was troubling to me since I have Samuels.  Edmunds should have scored from the one yard line but missed the hole... should have bounced it to the left for a walk in TD.  Tomlin even called out the play in his presser (although not Edmunds by name) to answer why the running game isn't producing more.

Is he worth a pickup?  Depends on your roster but is currently 2nd on the depth chart (or possibly 1B) due to injuries.  When all are healthy this is the pecking order:  Conner, Samuels, Snell, Edmunds.  Not sure when Conner and Snell are expected back so picking him up seems to be a better short term play than long term.  When Conner and Snell return he's sliding back down the depth chart.

Trey Edmunds also sidelined at practice due to a rib injury suffered in the Sunday game. Next up is tiny speedy Oregon Duck Tony Brook-James, UDFA cut by the Falcons. Per Rotoworld.
Brook-James will have more rushes book it. 

Brook-James will have more rushes book it. 
I wouldn't start him, but if he does well he could be a waiver wire darling, so a preemptive pickup would be in order. But Conners could return next week. There is high uncertainity.

At this point, those Le'Veon Bell trade rumors are starting to look more believable. With Pittsburgh playing Cleveland Thursday night next week, I wouldn't take it for granted that Conner is ready for that game either.
Maybe but the Steelers have no cap space to sign Bell even if the Jets were giving him away

Maybe but the Steelers have no cap space to sign Bell even if the Jets were giving him away
Bell only would have cost 1 Million dollars, they could have easily found room. Its in 2020 when the big money would have hit.

Either way, it didn't happen, but it is making me think the Steelers were acutely aware that Conner was never playing last week, and may miss several weeks in total. 

Bell only would have cost 1 Million dollars, they could have easily found room. Its in 2020 when the big money would have hit.

Either way, it didn't happen, but it is making me think the Steelers were acutely aware that Conner was never playing last week, and may miss several weeks in total. 
The Steelers are only $6.1 million under the 2020 salary cap so the trade would have immediately put them about $7 million over the cap.  Roethlisberger is due $21 million in cash so his contract can be restructured to create cap room.  My guess is that the Steelers wanted the Jets to take a player in return that is overpaid this year.

I don't believe the trade rumors.  Bell was well within his rights to hold out for the season last year but he didn't do it the right way IMO.  He constantly changed his story about when he was going to show and then ultimately decided to sit the whole year.  His "drama" was no where near the drama caused by AB but I still think the Steelers wouldn't want any part of Bell for the way he left the organization.  To be clear, I'm not saying his behavior was egregious but it caused just enough turmoil that they wouldn't want to bring him back.

James Harrison said he doesn't think the rumors are true. Bell also said Green Bay tried to trade for him.

I'm not a big believer in Aaron Jones as a long-term feature back, but I doubt that one is true, either.

According to Tomlin Conner did not practice today making it the second straight day he hasn’t practiced per Omar Ruiz 

James Conner (shoulder) has been ruled out for the Steelers' Week 10 matchup against the Rams.

Jaylen Samuels posted a strong 63% snap rate with eight carries and 13 (!!!) targets with Conner sidelined last week. Trey Edmunds (ribs) is also banged up, so Samuels could see an even larger role on the ground this time around. Treat him as a borderline RB1 as a near every-down workhorse with plenty of receiving upside. The Rams defense has been much better against the run (No. 4 in DVOA) than the pass (No. 15) this season.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter.

Nov 8, 2019, 3:02 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread