What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Streak You've Never Heard Of (1 Viewer)

whoknew

Footballguy
Or maybe you have. But I hadn't. I guess that's a very Trumpian title.

But more importantly, congratulations Kalamazoo College.

Kalamazoo tennis goes streaking — 79 years and counting

It’s arguably the most dominant college athletics program in the country.

And, unless you’re from Kalamazoo, and maybe even if you are, you could guess and guess and guess — let’s say, oh, for the next 79 years — and come up completely empty.

With a 9-0 victory over Adrian on Wednesday, the Kalamazoo College men’s tennis team clinched at least a share of its 79th consecutive conference championship.

You read that right. Seventy-nine.

The last time Kalamazoo didn’t win the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association title in men’s tennis — outside of 1944-46, when nobody played due to World War II — it was 1935, Franklin D. Roosevelt was in his first term as president (he would serve into a fourth), the “Wizard of Oz” hadn’t even been shot yet, Bobby Riggs hadn’t yet won Wimbledon, and the average person’s salary was $1,500.

Today, one year of classes at Kalamazoo College today will cost you about $55,000.

“When people hear about ‘The Streak,’ ” said coach Mark Riley, “they think they’re hearing things. Because it is kind of crazy.”

On the campus of Kalamazoo College, a private, Division III university, they talk about “The Streak” as a proper noun. And with good reason.

There’s never been anything like it in the history of college athletics.

And with a win Saturday over visiting Albion, Kalamazoo will have clinched the outright championship, which is the ultimate goal every year — certainly not a share. That’s why after winning Wednesday, the celebration was subdued. Riley doused his seniors with water from a Gatorade bottle, and the team went to dinner at the Crow’s Nest in Kalamazoo.

“It was pretty low-key,” Riley said.

Storied history

In 1931, Dr. Allen B. Stowe, a chemistry professor and the chairman of the college’s chemistry department, started the tennis program at Kalamazoo.

And boy, did he find the right formula for success.

Kalamazoo won MIAA titles in 1931, 1932 and 1933, came up short the next two years, and haven’t come up short since — for the rest of his 27-year tenure, George Acker’s 35-year tenure, Timon Corwin’s 14-year tenure, and Riley’s 10 years as the fourth coach in the program’s storied history.

In all but three of those years, Kalamazoo won the conference outright. It shared with Hope in 1962 and 2003, and with Hope and Calvin in 2013.

“ ‘The Streak’ is a big part of the culture,’” said Eric De Witt, a senior from the Lansing area. “And there’s always pressure, no matter who’s on the other side of the net.

“Clinching No. 79, I think we all feel that weight lifted.

“It’s something that all the players and all the teammates take great pride in holding up.”

Aside from the 79-year title streak, there are other ridiculous numbers. For instance, Kalamazoo College has lost just three conference dual matches since 1935. It also has participated in every Division III NCAA Tournament, which started in 1976.

The Hornets have won seven national championships (most recently in 1993), finished runner-up three times, and finished third nine times.

I just got home and undressed to shower

Saw the biggest streak you never heard of.

Last edited by a moderator:
RedmondLonghorn said:
I read this as "Greatest Steak You've Never Heard of".

That one is definitely an Argentine Vacío cut.
That's how I read it too. I was excited to read about this steak so thanks for the pro tip. 

FSU baseball has made the NCAA tournament every single year since 1975. 

More impressively, they've never won it. 

When my daughters graduated from HS they both made a vow to me and me to them that we would talk everyday in some form be it text or by phone. They are now both out of college and that vow has never been broken. After about a year or two it became what we called the streak of being in touch and nobody wanted to break it.  One night my daughter called me from Cancun at 11:55pm after we had not been in touch all day and said..."I had to keep the streak alive"  Now they usually get it out of the way early in the day with a quick "Hi daddy" text

It will six years this May.

Last edited by a moderator:
RedmondLonghorn said:

I read the exact same thing. The answer is a spinalis steak over the Argentine flank. But that's just me

I have heard those are good, but have never had one. El vacio es muy bueno.
Spinalis dorsi is the little muscle that runs around the top of the rib eye. It's also called the rib eye cap or cap muscle. It's the tastiest part of the cow. Some places (Costco for example in their prime beef section) will remove the spinalis from the primal rib eye cut and roll up the flat muscle, tie with butchers twine, and slice into round steaks similar to filets in size. For most, this steak ruins all other steaks for them. It's insane. 

On a side note, don't buy the prime rib eyes from costco. None of them have the cap muscle attached. 

Grizzlies point guard Mike Conley entered the postseason having played 756 games over 10 seasons. His career has included 24,854 minutes without a technical foul.

Grizzlies point guard Mike Conley entered the postseason having played 756 games over 10 seasons. His career has included 24,854 minutes without a technical foul.
He has been given a technical. But the league overturned it upon appeal from Conley.

And while it is an impressive streak relative to his peers, it seems to me that not getting technical fouls should be expected of players. 

And while it is an impressive streak relative to his peers, it seems to me that not getting technical fouls should be expected of players. 
So it's prevalent, then? 
Who's second place? 

I mean, baseball players should go to work every day so Ripken's streak isn't a big deal either. 

Tony Cingrani beginning his Major League career with 22 straight starts without giving up more than five hits in a game.

When my daughters graduated from HS they both made a vow to me that we would talk everyday in some form. They are now both out of college and that vow has never been broken.  One night my daughter called me from Cancun at 11:55pm and said..."I had to keep the streak alive"
This is the best streak in the thread.

:hifive:

The Dayton Dragons have 1,177 consecutive sellouts through last season.
Bunch of great franchises in the 16-team Midwestern League. There's an MLB award called the John H. Johnson President's Award which is given to the most complete, best run minor league team. Midwest League franchises have won it four times in the last nine seasons.

• Dayton - 2012 President's Award 
  • Fort Wayne - 2016 President's Award
  • South Bend - 2015 President's Award
  • West Michigan consistently sells out games, 6 league titles since 1996
  • Burlington (IA) has been in the same ballpark for 70 seasons
  • Cedar Rapids (IA) - 2008 President's Award
  • Clinton (IA) - in league since 1956 and one of several cities in the league with franchises that date back to the 19th Century
  • Kane County - perennial league leader in attendance, first Class A team to draw 10M lifetime 
  • Quad Cities has been in the league since 1960 (6 titles)
  • Wisconsin (Appleton) is community owned and has 9 league titles.

RedmondLonghorn said:

i read it as the greatest rake you have never heard of and that my friends is the stevens power rake with its oak leaf destroying powers take that to the bank brorakos 

Users who are viewing this thread