What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (6 Viewers)

:shrug:

you asked a question that could be answered with a yes or a no. Clearly the idea of taking Hunt 1.01 after one awful defensive game by the Patriots is insane. Sorry but YES was all the answer needed. Don't overreact 
I get that he won't do this every week.  Just not quite sure how to value that week 1 output already in the bank before the draft.

Is drafting Hunt at 1.01 a completely insane idea?   I draft Sat night, and don't quite know what to do with this info

#seriousquestion
How much is 1/14 of your regular season worth? 

The year I played in the WCOFF, Charlie Batch stepped in for Big Ben & put up a monster game on Thurs night. 

He was taken in the 4th and people mocked the dude. He ended up winning the 1st week easily and went on to win our league. Not sure how he did in the finals.

but a 40-60 point game(depending on your scoring) is a 1st class ticket to a week 1 win.

that said I'd still take David Johnson.

How much is 1/14 of your regular season worth? 

The year I played in the WCOFF, Charlie Batch stepped in for Big Ben & put up a monster game on Thurs night. 

He was taken in the 4th and people mocked the dude. He ended up winning the 1st week easily and went on to win our league. Not sure how he did in the finals.

but a 40-60 point game(depending on your scoring) is a 1st class ticket to a week 1 win.

that said I'd still take David Johnson.
And not playing against him week one has to hold value

do you get to start him week 1?  if so, then it should probably at least be considered.
Yes

Priest Holmes > Larry Johnson > Jamaal Charles > Kareem Hunt

Pass that RB1 torch, baby. 
Remember Foster's breakout week 1 in 2010? 33/231/3. Likely wasn't game planned for, like Hunt tonight. He had a fantastic NFL run, so I would just call this an outlier or project a Foster type career trajectory out of one game either. You have to hold at this point if you own Hunt and see where it goes, could be an outlier or could be an indicator he's going to be on champ rosters.

Remember Foster's breakout week 1 in 2010? 33/231/3. Likely wasn't game planned for, like Hunt tonight. He had a fantastic NFL run, so I would just call this an outlier or project a Foster type career trajectory out of one game either. You have to hold at this point if you own Hunt and see where it goes, could be an outlier or could be an indicator he's going to be on champ rosters.
No way that was an outlier.  That line can block and that kid has ridic football instincts.  KC looks like they can flat out run the ball  

It won't be like tonight, obviously, but this kid will likely be a low end RB1 this year.  That's probably his floor, actually.  

No way that was an outlier.  That line can block and that kid has ridic football instincts.  KC looks like they can flat out run the ball  

It won't be like tonight, obviously, but this kid will likely be a low end RB1 this year.  That's probably his floor, actually.  
Good burst, great hands, vision & hops - he anticipates the defender and makes subtle moves that make them miss. The power and stuff-arm is nice too - surprisingly made a couple negative plays into positives and sqirted through a tiny gap for +1 instead of -1. 

Instincts is a good word - kid's a natural baller - fluid receiver too. 

Mancrush at 10 :wub:  

A lot of posts in this thread are as if they never seen Hunt play. 

If you cant spot the sucker at the poker table, you are the sucker.  

Definitely wish I had shares of this kid.  I actually contemplated taking him at 1.1 in my dynasty rookie draft sept. 1st.  But I chickened out and took CMC.  

The guy at #2 took Hunt and passed on cook, fournette, and mixon and RT now he looks like a mad genius.  

Was interested in him in 3rd rd of my non ppr redraft league.  Draft was last night.  He was taken in the early 2nd rd and I thought the dude who took him was way overpaying for him, especially since news came out of an rbbc in kc. 

How do NFL scouts get stuff like this so wrong?  I know that it was also a product of great offensive line play, but watch the tape.  Hunt is a baller.  Strong runner.  Good agility. Great receiver.   Great stiff arm.  Great power.  How was he not in the conversation as the #1 rookie pick all summer?  I think scouts missed the boat on this kid.  He could be special.   

Most importantly, the kid earned the trust of Smith and the team, really, tonight.  

He is the guy.  Will be a true feature back. And I love the kid.  Seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. 

IheartGuinness said:
After game one last year, Ware had approx. 200 total yards and two TDs. Hunt looks great, but let's not be too quick to anoint him. 
KC homer here - this is a really good point. I mentioned to a buddy during the game that Hunt reminded me of Ware, in that they are both absolute bowling balls - always bouncing off tacklers, good luck taking them down on the first try. The problem with Ware was that he couldn't sustain that for 16 games - at the end of the season he was very clearly worn down and not nearly as effective. We'll see how Hunt holds up.

But for now, this guy looked like he was still running against MAC defenders tonight. Hell yeah  :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
As noted by Bigboy, Billy Sims and Hunt only players since 1970 with 200+ yards and 3 TD in debut.

If you lower the yards from scrimmage threshold to 150+ (with 3 TDs in debut), it adds one player since 1970 - Marshall Faulk.

Good company.

I was impressed by Hunt. That being said, he doesn't look to me like his frame will hold up to this kind of usage and punishment all season.  He is very good but if you can swap him for a very good player and a future first round pick, I would do it.

KC homer here - this is a really good point. I mentioned to a buddy during the game that Hunt reminded me of Ware, in that they are both absolute bowling balls - always bouncing off tacklers, good luck taking them down on the first try. The problem with Ware was that he couldn't sustain that for 16 games - at the end of the season he was very clearly worn down and not nearly as effective. We'll see how Hunt holds up.

But for now, this guy looked like he was still running against MAC defenders tonight. Hell yeah  :headbang:
He seems shifter than Ware. Got a little Westbrook / Faulk to him. He wiggles just enough to make it more of a glancing blow. Not a lot of clean tackles on him tonight. He's slippery & shifty - anticipates the defenders moves.

amateur scouting to be sure, but to my eye that might keep him on the field longer in terms of injury. 

Gotta give props to the fantasy experts who said Hunt would be part of a committee and was just good not great at any one thing. His feet and balance are amazing. This will be the last time I take fantasy experts' advice. LOL

Going to pair him up with Ajayji and Doug Martin.....cannot freaking wait after tonight. 

Those of you saying to make a trade or somehow get rid of him....most owners in here got him in rounds 4 & 5 and realistically....the only other RB's I would trade for him at this point in time are DJ and Bell. He is in a GREAT situation in KC with Andy Reid.....

He seems shifter than Ware. Got a little Westbrook / Faulk to him. He wiggles just enough to make it more of a glancing blow. Not a lot of clean tackles on him tonight. He's slippery & shifty - anticipates the defenders moves.

amateur scouting to be sure, but to my eye that might keep him on the field longer in terms of injury. 
I'd agree on this, and I definitely hope so. I had some reservations about his ability to slip and bounce and wiggle around defenders in the NFL like he did in college, but no problems there tonight. Speaks volumes about his vision/balance/feet.

Something made me think that he was bigger than Ware and might be able to hold up better because of that, but google says Ware actually has 25 pounds on him. Oops.

I'd agree on this, and I definitely hope so. I had some reservations about his ability to slip and bounce and wiggle around defenders in the NFL like he did in college, but no problems there tonight. Speaks volumes about his vision/balance/feet.

Something made me think that he was bigger than Ware and might be able to hold up better because of that, but google says Ware actually has 25 pounds on him. Oops.
One early run (may have been a reception) he cut and saw a defender - did just RB slightest little hesitation move, and it was enough to slip by him by 3 yards and a glancing blow. Looked like he was dead to rights. Very instinctive runner. In the game topic at the time I mentioned Barry Sanders-like on that move. 

Not saying he's Sanders, but that little move reminded me of what sanders would do mid-run to make defenders take bad angles. 

Geez, it's one game folks.

Two words: Quentin Griffin
One game. One game when he set a record for yards from scrimage.

one game where his entire skill set was on display. 

One game where he showed more fluidity receiving the ball than anyone in the league not named Westbrook - not on the 78 yarder -that was a perfect pass. That showed speed. No, on the 1st TD where Smith threw a horrible pass that sailed high and outside and Hunt brought it in cleanly; then took a great angle to the end zone.

you can't come in here and tell me I didn't see what I saw. Hunt looks like the real deal, and that Chiefs OL can open holes for him. When they couldn't he made his own yards. 

Now, is he the next Marshall Faulk? Of course not - it's one game, as you suggest. 

But there's plenty to be excited about if you're a chiefs fan or a Hunt owner. :yes:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy passes the eye test, that's for sure.

It is a long season, and it'll be fun to watch how he deals with things throughout the year (film accumulation, nicks and bruises, teams game-planning for him, rookie wall at game 10, etc.).

its a great sign that he was able to put the early fumble behind him.  It displays a promising level of mental toughness and maturity. 

Users who are viewing this thread