What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kareem Hunt, CLE (5 Viewers)

This is not beneficial to Hunt. The best way for him to get more money would have been to finish out his Rookie contract and then get a bigger deal after proving his play on the field and not attracted negative attention off the field, the way Gurley and David Johnson did recently.

Hunt was scheduled to make $656k (with bonuses) next year and $781k (with bonuses) the year after.  I’m guessing he’ll end up making more than that the next two years, and if he can  show he’s contrite and made himself a better person (and is just as productive) he’ll sign a contract just as large as if it hadn’t happened.

Some team is going to benefit greatly from this mistake by KC.  If his agent has even a modicum of alpha waves going, they are going to focus on her behavior and how overtly and belligerently racist the girl was.  Have him own the situation by explain in great detail the mitigating circumstances while having him go through some sensitivity/anger management training.  

Hunt is going to benefit in the long run too, I’m guessing.  He’s now out of his rookie contract and can sign a much more favorable deal financially, even if he has to start with a 1 year incentive laden prove-it deal.
Considering how he lied to the team I have a hard time believing that he is now going to own the situation and at the same time blame the victim for her behavior to  justify his anger. Plus with reports that there is a separate second incident being investigated with a man in June saying that it was a mistake by KC is a joke. Some team may benefit by adding him but I think it will be in the 2020 season at the earliest with two incidents on the table.

Some team is going to benefit greatly from this mistake by KC.  If his agent has even a modicum of alpha waves going, they are going to focus on her behavior and how overtly and belligerently racist the girl was.  Have him own the situation by explain in great detail the mitigating circumstances while having him go through some sensitivity/anger management training.  

Hunt is going to benefit in the long run too, I’m guessing.  He’s now out of his rookie contract and can sign a much more favorable deal financially, even if he has to start with a 1 year incentive laden prove-it deal.
I agree he is going to make out a lot better financially from this. He was going to make $1.4M over the next two years under that rookie contract. He will make that much next year even with the suspension. 

Sense he will know about the suspension before he signs with the team is there a way to structure a contract so he loses less from the suspension. Ex, a 6 game deal paying him the league minimum and after that is done a real deal. 

I'm saying if this was a 19 year old guy we'd be saying the guy didn't get enough from Hunt for acting like a punk. But because it was a female it's off limits. We want equal rights for all right? Not saying hitting either person is right but if hitting the girl wasn't right neither is it to hit the guy. Doesn't excuse Hunt. The girl acted like an idiot too. Both parties could've handled it better. 
Again, this is a very warped and disturbed way to think about equal rights. Seek help. 

Intent, are you serious? Results are all that matter.
If I had ebola and and intended to kill someone by sneezing on them, but failed. Do I get charged for murder?
If I drive drunk and kill a family of 5, but it wasn't my intent. Do I get a pass?
Yes the sneeze could be “attempted murder” and the driving drunk example would be mansluaghter which doesn’t require intent because it’s negligence that’s the prerequisite there. Murder requires intent.

Again, this is a very warped and disturbed way to think about equal rights. Seek help. 

So in your opinion, a woman can instigate and escalate a situation ad infinitum and she bears no responsibility or consequences from her actions?   As I’ve stated in other places, I hold Hunt responsible for his actions, but to simply excuse and dismiss her behavior on the grounds that she is a female  - and what, she doesn’t know any better or can’t control her actions? - is less rational than what DJax10 is putting forth.

Hunt was scheduled to make $656k (with bonuses) next year and $781k (with bonuses) the year after.  I’m guessing he’ll end up making more than that the next two years, and if he can  show he’s contrite and made himself a better person (and is just as productive) he’ll sign a contract just as large as if it hadn’t happened.
Not if he’s claimed on waivers. Then his contract follows him - which is why he likely will get claimed despite the potential backlash.

Wow. So, in addition to this incident, Hunt also allegedly had another incident at a resort in June? Yeah, this guy isn't going to be playing football for a while. Anyone who thinks all of this is going to be financially beneficial to Hunt is way off. This is going to cost him tens of millions of dollars and maybe his career. Hopefully he learns from this and gets some help in controlling his anger before he seriously injures someone else, or worse. 

I thought being released outright terminated his contract.  Are you sure about that,
I believe you are correct.  If waived he can be claimed.  The Chiefs are releasing all rights to him.  I'm pretty sure a team will claim him (probably Eagles or Ravens).

I'm still waiting to find out if their were other Chief's players at the event.  If so one would imagine the Chiefs would have interviewed those players to ascertain what happened as anything less would be less than responsible investigation, and the team is posturing as having investigated.  If there were other players there do they too need to be disciplined for not being forthcoming?

who ere those other guys in the video?

reggio1 said:
Should a man hit a man ever?
Only if his life was in danger.  If she's coming at me with Negan's Lucille, then I expect you can protect yourself the best you can.

ETA:  I though you said, "Should a man hit a women ever?".  

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Octopus said:
Not if he’s claimed on waivers. Then his contract follows him - which is why he likely will get claimed despite the potential backlash.
Tried to find info on this but wasn't able to. This would seem to logically make sense otherwise players could try and game the system.  Although maybe a team could sign him for less...

Bronco Billy said:
I thought being released outright terminated his contract.  Are you sure about that,
He’s not a vested veteran so I’m pretty sure he goes to waivers - it’s possible that’s not correct.

/mancrush 

:(

what an epic disappointment. How hard is it to *not* beat up women? 

Seems pretty easy/reasonable. To simply not do that. 

And i’m not currently making millions as a professional athlete. If I were it would seem like an even easier decision to not beat up women. 

Well, for me it’s not even a decision. It’s juat something you don’t do. 

Terrible. And the Chiefs knew about this? C’mon Chiefs. 

Dr. Octopus said:
He isn’t going to get claimed. He most likely won’t be able to play until 2020. 

I’m not sure about that. His rookie contract would toll for those years, making him a bargain. I can see him not being claimed thought due to the climate and bad publicity.
What aren’t you sure about?? He will be on exempt list for the rest of this year. Then he is looking at 6-10 games for this incident and 6 games for the other incident. He won’t play next year. 

What aren’t you sure about?? He will be on exempt list for the rest of this year. Then he is looking at 6-10 games for this incident and 6 games for the other incident. He won’t play next year. 
I believe I would have worded that in such a way as to not sound like I knew for certain anything about his suspension.   I would have used words like "might" and "could happen".

I’m not sure he isn’t going to get claimed.
He may not get claimed, but I think there is a good chance he plays late 2019 and for sure in 2020 after his suspension.  He's only 23.  The big question is whether the SJW's will have their way in convincing NFL owners to blackball him.

He may not get claimed, but I think there is a good chance he plays late 2019 and for sure in 2020 after his suspension.  He's only 23.  The big question is whether the SJW's will have their way in convincing NFL owners to blackball him.
Seriously.  All he did was beat a woman.  It's not like he took a knee in to raise awareness of racial injustice.

He plays again.

Therapy, a few meetings with Ray Rice(throw in some prayer), get married, get her pregnant and do an interview with the pregnant wife should get him back in.

Bronco Billy said:
There's no such thing as "released outright".  All players are placed on waivers.  Vested Veterans are not subject to the waiver system if released prior to the trade deadline, but players with fewer than 4 accrued seasons and Vested Veterans released after the trade deadline are.

ARTICLE 29 WAIVERS
Section 1. Release:
(a) Whenever a player who has finished the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers between February 1 and the trading deadline, his contract will be considered terminated and the player will be completely free at any time thereafter to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, <snip>

(b) Whenever a player who has finished less than the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers, the player’s Player Contract will be subject to the waiver system and may be awarded to a claiming Club.

I’m not sure about that. His rookie contract would toll for those years, making him a bargain. I can see him not being claimed thought due to the climate and bad publicity.
There's no tolling if he's not claimed.  Tolling happens when a contract isn't fulfilled by the player.  If he's not claimed, he won't be under contract.  Now if he's claimed and gets suspended the entire year then yes, it would toll.  But if he is on active pay status for a single game then the contract year is fulfilled and it advances along.

So in your opinion, a woman can instigate and escalate a situation ad infinitum and she bears no responsibility or consequences from her actions?   As I’ve stated in other places, I hold Hunt responsible for his actions, but to simply excuse and dismiss her behavior on the grounds that she is a female  - and what, she doesn’t know any better or can’t control her actions? - is less rational than what DJax10 is putting forth.
She could be charged for the initial assault, and her employer, upon seeing the video, could decide to let her go.

say he gets claimed today... is there any path to him seeing the field this year? Is the commissioner's exempt list something you cannot appeal?

There's no tolling if he's not claimed.  Tolling happens when a contract isn't fulfilled by the player.  If he's not claimed, he won't be under contract.  Now if he's claimed and gets suspended the entire year then yes, it would toll.  But if he is on active pay status for a single game then the contract year is fulfilled and it advances along.
Yes, that's why I was saying I think he may get claimed - which was the context of the discussion. The guy I responded to said "no one will claim him because he will miss all of next year".

The second statement was juts giving in a little to that guy. I think he will get claimed because of his contract and even if he's suspended it doesn't hurt that team much.

My personal view is I think nobody claims Hunt and I'm not sure we will ever see him again. It's a public relations nightmare to claim this guy with the video tape showing what happened which just makes it a nightmare when the public has viewed the incident. Ray Rice was every bit as good as Hunt and never played again. I think there is a good chance Hunt never plays again. That is just my opinion.

There's no such thing as "released outright".  All players are placed on waivers.  Vested Veterans are not subject to the waiver system if released prior to the trade deadline, but players with fewer than 4 accrued seasons and Vested Veterans released after the trade deadline are.

ARTICLE 29 WAIVERS
Section 1. Release:
(a) Whenever a player who has finished the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers between February 1 and the trading deadline, his contract will be considered terminated and the player will be completely free at any time thereafter to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, <snip>

(b) Whenever a player who has finished less than the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers, the player’s Player Contract will be subject to the waiver system and may be awarded to a claiming Club.

Thanks

I doubt he gets claimed, IMO teams will want to wait to get clarity around the extent of his suspension since the commissioners office is so inconsistent. Assuming he does not have another incident and goes through counseling, charity work, whatever they mandate for him to show rehabilitation and contrition some team will take a chance on him with a probably a one or two year prove it deal. We probably won't know if that will be the latter half of 2019 or until 2020 until a suspension is finally handed out.

This is the same league that re-employs convicted felon's once they've served their time, assuming he keeps his nose clean from this point on Hunt will get another chance.

My personal view is I think nobody claims Hunt and I'm not sure we will ever see him again. It's a public relations nightmare to claim this guy with the video tape showing what happened which just makes it a nightmare when the public has viewed the incident. Ray Rice was every bit as good as Hunt and never played again. I think there is a good chance Hunt never plays again. That is just my opinion.
I don't know.

KC cut him sending shock waves through the NFL as tape described as 'brutal attack' surfaces and people scramble to get a glimpse expecting far worse than Ray Rice punch knockout and hair drag but Hunt never struck a blow with his hands and the kick glanced off her thigh.  Horrible but not as bad as the click bait hype so you have to think that KC reacted due to being mislead by Hunt on the heels of Reuben Foster backlash.

Hunt comes out with his mea culpa and the teams looking at him have not been lied to and get to weigh the backlash of taking a flyer knowing he will be kept out of sight and get suspended VS what he bring to the table next year.  

The issue I have is with the 'other' incident where he 'allegedly' assaulted a male which means the assault at the 9 isn't an isolated incident.  It means he has a real issue to contend with so I'd dig into that incident to find out if this kid is a nutcase because I wasn't impressed with his mea culpa.

Basically I'm saying it is possible that some team takes a flyer.  Not what I would do but it is possible that some team will take a gamble.

isnt there incentive to claim him? he's got 2 years left on a cheap rookie deal... if he goes unclaimed is he a free agent? he's going to command more than $600k despite the incident?

isnt there incentive to claim him? he's got 2 years left on a cheap rookie deal... if he goes unclaimed is he a free agent? he's going to command more than $600k despite the incident?
Yep little to risk and a lot to gain.  If they change their mind or catch too much hell they can just release him whenever they want.  Once he's suspended they won't have to pay him either.  There's no future guaranteed money. 

But the payoff could be significant.  A young quality RB on a rookie deal for free is a huge pop.  If the 2017 draft had a do-over last week he's likely a top 5 pick.  To get that off waivers is priceless.

Yep little to risk and a lot to gain.  If they change their mind or catch too much hell they can just release him whenever they want.  Once he's suspended they won't have to pay him either.  There's no future guaranteed money. 

But the payoff could be significant.  A young quality RB on a rookie deal for free is a huge pop.  If the 2017 draft had a do-over last week he's likely a top 5 pick.  To get that off waivers is priceless.
There has to be at least one team that will weigh the risk versus reward and be willing to face the temporary backlash to get a young stud back on a third round rookie contract. It just makes too much economic sense to grab him now. My guess is that Philly or Oakland claim him. Philly has enough goodwill from the Super Bowl win to survive any backlash and Oakland has nothing to lose with the way Gruden has already shipped off their best assets and created a dumpster fire this season.

There's enough incentive that it would raise some interesting questions if it didn't happen.

There has to be at least one team that will weigh the risk versus reward and be willing to face the temporary backlash to get a young stud back on a third round rookie contract. It just makes too much economic sense to grab him now. My guess is that Philly or Oakland claim him. Philly has enough goodwill from the Super Bowl win to survive any backlash and Oakland has nothing to lose with the way Gruden has already shipped off their best assets and created a dumpster fire this season.
I agree that someone will take a gamble but I think the kid has a real problem because he's not just getting into fights and dancing with willing partners he's assaulting people as in plural/more than one.

I don't buy the apology.   

I think he has a real problem or some sort.

Teams have more to go over than backlash VS cheap contract with an easy out.

Warhogs said:
I am not sure about him getting claimed since it is so soon after the video even with the cheap contract, but never again seems somewhat unlikely to me when Mixon was drafted relatively early 4 months after a much much worse video of him was played 1000x times to the public.

Ray Rice was entering his age 28 season and coming off a year with 660 yards rushing at 3.1ypc.  Not to mention his video was likewise much much worse.

He sits out next year, goes through anger management counseling, constant public mea culpa, and maybe... he gets a second chance somewhere.

Hankmoody said:

top 5?  No way.  mccaffery and kamara would still be drafted in front of him just at the running back position, and a whole bunch of other guys would too.  He was a good running back in a great situation.  He would move up but let’s not go overboard.  

When I look at the spectrum of predictions here I'm reminded of a tweet I saw recently. I don't remember who it was but it was essentially a reminder that the NFL is not some coherent "top down" organization. It's really not much more than 32 loosely connected "city states", each with their own operating handbook. As a result they are in this limbo of business and ethics. How long after the funeral do you wait to read the will? Do you open grandma's presents or send them back? When can Hunt play again? The answer is blowin' in the wind...

Users who are viewing this thread