Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Biabreakable

Dynasty Kareem Hunt Cleveland Browns

Recommended Posts

a short list of teams I think should entertain sign Hunt... teams that are set to win now and are picking near the bottom of round 2: 

SF- After seeing their salary cap I actually think this makes too much sense. They can cut McKinnon, save 4.5 mil and give it to Hunt... That's a major upgrade. 

HOU- They actually have cap space to sign Hunt then work out a long term deal. 

KC- Wouldnt happen but they do make sense

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Koya said:

Hunt is a unique talent. Could argue top 5 talent as demonstrated pre suspension, especially on a team that utilizes backs in the receiving game. 
 

For teams one RB away, especially those with closing windows (I’m looking at you, NE), so long as it’s a short term commitment of a year or two, Hunt brings a lot of value.  Been plenty of busts in the draft or just guys who did ok but not great. Will you get Saquan/Zeke, or will you get Blair Thomas/Ron Dayne?  
 

With Hunt, you KNOW you are getting a top tier NFL producer, not just a college talent that you project is at least close to that.

My sentiments, exactly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Yes, there is something to be said about Hunt proven he can play in the nfl vs a rookie whom has zero experience. 

This is a 1 year deal for a proven back vs a 4 year, cheaper deal for a rb who could hit... not many teams would take the 1 year deal 

All I'm saying is that Hunt being signed is not as much if a  "lock" as some in here would say... Its going to take a very specific scenario/team. IMO Lions, Bucs, Dolphins, Steelers, Jags shouldnt even be in the conversation 

Lions- 40 some mil in space, they need a 2nd more than a 1 year deal for a RB

Bucs- Maybe but their 2nd is 14... that's a pretty good player. are they a rb away from contending? I personally dont think so

Dolphins- This makes zero sense

Steelers- They dont have a 1st and wouldnt have a 2nd either. In a very good draft. They probably want a QB there more than going for a 1 year rb 

Jags- I see this making about as much sense as Detroit.  

A 2nd and 1 year 5 mil is an investment a very small number of teams should even entertain. 

You keep mentioning the 1 year deal thing.  I don't think that's the case.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the only 1 year restriction is on the Browns, as to what they tender him at.  Then a team could offer him any deal.  The Browns can then match or let him walk and get the pick back.

IE Browns tender Hunt with a 2nd round tender at $2.9mil.

Texans offer Hunt a 4 year, $15 million contract.

Browns have option to either match that deal and sign Hunt at 4 years, $15 million, or they can decline and take the 2nd round pick from the Texans.  The Texans would then get Hunt for 4 years, $15 million.

 

The 1 year, $2.9 mil only becomes a factor if no other team offers Hunt a contract after they place that tender on him.  Then the Browns get him for 1 year, $2.9mil.

 

If the Browns tender him at a 2nd/3rd round pick I think it's a toss-up.  If a team can get a top 10 RB for 4 years $15 million it may be worth the security to give up that pick for him, especially given that he is a known asset in the passing game whereas some of the rookies have real question marks there.  The real wildcard here is if the Browns decide they really want to keep Hunt for another year and tender him at a 1st.  It's unlikely but that would basically guarantee they get him at 1 year $4.1 million as no other team is going to make an offer on him if they'd have to give up a 1st.

Edited by FreeBaGeL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

You keep mentioning the 1 year deal thing.  I don't think that's the case.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the only 1 year restriction is on the Browns, as to what they tender him at.  Then a team could offer him any deal.  The Browns can then match, or let him walk and get the pick back.

IE Browns tender Hunt with a 2nd round tender at $2.9mil.

Texans offer Hunt a 4 year, $15 million contract.

Browns have option to either match that deal and sign Hunt at 4 years, $15 million, or they can decline and take the 2nd round pick from the Texans.

 

The 1 year, $2.9 mil only becomes a factor if no other team offers Hunt a contract after they place that tender on him.  Then the Browns get him for 1 year, $2.9mil.

 

If the Browns tender him at a 2nd/3rd round pick I think it's a toss-up.  If a team can get a top 10 RB for 4 years $15 million it may be worth the security to give up that pick for him, especially given that he is a known asset in the passing game whereas some of the rookies have real question marks there.  The real wildcard here is if the Browns decide they really want to keep Hunt for another year and tender him at a 1st.  It's unlikely but that would basically guarantee they get him at 1 year $4.1 million as no other team is going to make an offer on him if they'd have to give up a 1st.

I must be incorrect here becuae this makes a lot of sense 

 

I still stand by my list above that there arent many teams that pick in the upper half of the 2nd for which signing Hunt would make sense. 

I think I would move TB into the yes category with understanding the situation accurately 

Jacksonville if Fournette is not resigned would make sense too 

Edited by Dr. Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

 Josh Jacobs wasn't a round 1 type either, but a stupid team drafted him there.

He might win rookie of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

I think it's far more likely that zero RBs go in round 1.  I don't expect any RBs this year to be round 1 types.  None of them are that good, frankly, but I guess a team might still take one of them in the late first.  Josh Jacobs wasn't a round 1 type either, but a stupid team drafted him there. 

I think we see 4 or 5 first round WRs and 4 or 5 second round RBs mixed in with another 4 or 5 2nd round WRs. It's going to be a crazy offseason. 

 

 

I think the top end of this rb class is better than you do. I don't factor in at all what teams are picking where right now. Just because they are there now does not mean they will be there in April. Each NFL team grades differently than another, but generally speaking it starts elite-round 1-round 2. Most years teams do not have 32 players graded round 1 or higher. I think some of these guys will and those that don't will be graded round 2. Math says those guys may be drafted round 1, like Jacobs last year. And those that don't will go early round 2.

So for most teams I dont think you're evaluating Hunt vs the top 4 or so. You're assessing him vs the next group. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

  The real wildcard here is if the Browns decide they really want to keep Hunt for another year and tender him at a 1st.  It's unlikely but that would basically guarantee they get him at 1 year $4.1 million as no other team is going to make an offer on him if they'd have to give up a 1st.

I don't think that is unlikely.  $4.1M on a one year deal for Hunt is good business.  My guess is they would put a first round tender on him before say they put a third round tender on him. 

I'm invested in Hunt, want him to exit but I'm less sure of it then others seem to be. Saying all that I'm not ruling out that it's possible Hunt had a verbal agreement with the Browns when he chose to sign with them that they would not tender him this year but in absence of that I would expect a first or second round tender.  Difficult for me to see a lot of teams want to sign Hunt to a long term deal AND give up a first or second.

Again in the absence of a verbal agreement between Hunt and the Browns about not tendering him I don't think he exits Cleveland this off-season unless it's by trade.  Hope I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Dan said:

not even behavioral?

Yes I was saying that sarcastically. I would not pay him and lose a 2nd round pick if I were a team in the rb market. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IHEARTFF said:

Yes I was saying that sarcastically. I would not pay him and lose a 2nd round pick if I were a team in the rb market. 

I think Menobrown is correct, he ends up back in Cleveland next year. And why not? They have a very good team on paper. A good coach away from being pretty darn good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I think the top end of this rb class is better than you do. I don't factor in at all what teams are picking where right now. Just because they are there now does not mean they will be there in April. Each NFL team grades differently than another, but generally speaking it starts elite-round 1-round 2. Most years teams do not have 32 players graded round 1 or higher. I think some of these guys will and those that don't will be graded round 2. Math says those guys may be drafted round 1, like Jacobs last year. And those that don't will go early round 2.

So for most teams I dont think you're evaluating Hunt vs the top 4 or so. You're assessing him vs the next group. 

Hmm, good point there with the relative strength of RB compared to other positions.  I still think there will be at most 1 first round RB, but that opinion could change quickly as the offseason progresses and we get more information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

a short list of teams I think should entertain sign Hunt... teams that are set to win now and are picking near the bottom of round 2: 

SF- After seeing their salary cap I actually think this makes too much sense. They can cut McKinnon, save 4.5 mil and give it to Hunt... That's a major upgrade. 

HOU- They actually have cap space to sign Hunt then work out a long term deal. 

KC- Wouldnt happen but they do make sense

 

Does Houston have a second or a third? They traded away a ton of picks this past offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, menobrown said:

I don't think that is unlikely.  $4.1M on a one year deal for Hunt is good business.  My guess is they would put a first round tender on him before say they put a third round tender on him.

Half the starting RB’s in the league make less than 4.1M a year, paying that to a backup/3rd down guy (even one as good as Hunt) and virtually guaranteeing no one tries to sign or trade for him doesn’t seem like very good business IMO. But who knows, lots of teams have done things that seemed much crazier to me than that.

Edited by Buckna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Does Houston have a second or a third? They traded away a ton of picks this past offseason.

They have a 2020 2nd, no 1st or 3rd although they will likely get a 3rd comp pick for Honeybadger. Seems highly unlikely they trade for yet another RB but with BOB running the show who knows?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So the other factor here- would Hunt sign a 4 year 20 million dollar deal? 3 year 15 mil? 

I find that a little hard to believe. If we are saying Hunt has top talent,  surely his agent also is, and will be looking for top talent pay.

He could sign a 1 or 2 year prove it deal and then look to cash in after that, but then again we are back to return on investment for anyone giving up a 1st or 2nd for him. 

The best business decision for Hunt may be to play another season in Cleveland and try to cash in for 2021 with a tepid draft class and a lot of top RBs set to be FAs- there may be a good FA market 

Edited by Dr. Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Half the starting RB’s in the league make less than 4.1M a year, paying that to a backup/3rd down guy (even one as good as Hunt) and virtually guaranteeing no one tries to sign or trade for him doesn’t seem like very good business IMO. But who knows, lots of teams have done things that seemed much crazier to me than that.

Seems like faulty logical process to me that you are following that fails to take into account other teams don't not have a starting RB making just $1.1M, which fails to take into consideration they could simply roster Hunt and Chubb for a grand total of just over $5.2M while also failing to factor in that Hunt is better then half the starting RB's in this league. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Half the starting RB’s in the league make less than 4.1M a year, paying that to a backup/3rd down guy (even one as good as Hunt) and virtually guaranteeing no one tries to sign or trade for him doesn’t seem like very good business IMO. But who knows, lots of teams have done things that seemed much crazier to me than that.

That's because half of the starting RBs in the league are on their 1st contract. What is the average salary for starting RBs on their second contract? 

Do you think CMC, Kamara, Cook, Mixon, Fournette are going to sign for less than 4 mil a season after 2020? 

Edited by Dr. Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

So the other factor here- would Hunt sign a 4 year 20 million dollar deal? 3 year 15 mil? 

I find that a little hard to believe. If we are saying Hunt has top talent,  surely his agent also is, and will be looking for top talent pay.

He could sign a 1 or 2 year prove it deal and then look to cash in after that, but then again we are back to return on investment for anyone giving up a 1st or 2nd for him. 

The best business decision for Hunt may be to play another season in Cleveland and try to cash in for 2021 with a tepid draft class and a lot of top RBs set to be FAs- there may be a good FA market 

Wasting another year as a part time player would not be a good decision for Hunt if he can help it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tool said:

Wasting another year as a part time player would not be a good decision for Hunt if he can help it.

I disagree, but I understand where you are coming from 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I disagree, but I understand where you are coming from 

His career is so short as is, he already missed half of last season, and was a part time player for very little money this season. You really think he wants to spend another season doing the same thing? I don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tool said:

His career is so short as is, he already missed half of last season, and was a part time player for very little money this season. You really think he wants to spend another season doing the same thing? I don't.

I would have said the same about a lot of guys. I'm not exactly sure what Hunt wants to do or not. Some guys are content being part timers, some are not. 

IMO unless a team is willing to pay him 10 million a season, he is better off waiting 1 more year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

That's because half of the starting RBs in the league are on their 1st contract. What is the average salary for starting RBs on their second contract? 

Do you think CMC, Kamara, Cook, Mixon, Fournette are going to sign for less than 4 mil a season after 2020? 

Pointless, Hunt is still on his first contract too and is not their starter. I brought up the salary because he said it was good business to pay a guy they are using as CoP and receiving back 4.1M. I’d say that’s highly debatable. For instance, they could have just kept Duke Johnson for less money had they not pissed him off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Pointless, Hunt is still on his first contract too and is not their starter. I brought up the salary because he said it was good business to pay a guy they are using as CoP and receiving back 4.1M. I’d say that’s highly debatable. For instance, they could have just kept Duke Johnson for less money had they not pissed him off.

FWIW there are 6 teams paying a #2 or CoP RB $3.6mil or more right now.  4 of them are in the playoffs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

So the other factor here- would Hunt sign a 4 year 20 million dollar deal? 3 year 15 mil? 

I find that a little hard to believe. If we are saying Hunt has top talent,  surely his agent also is, and will be looking for top talent pay.

He could sign a 1 or 2 year prove it deal and then look to cash in after that, but then again we are back to return on investment for anyone giving up a 1st or 2nd for him. 

The best business decision for Hunt may be to play another season in Cleveland and try to cash in for 2021 with a tepid draft class and a lot of top RBs set to be FAs- there may be a good FA market 

Given that Hunt was so close to walking away from all of his talent with nothing I doubt he would want to risk it all again just for a chance to become really really really rich instead of just really really rich.

That's before we even account for the notion that if he were to take a 1 year prove it deal he would be about to turn 26 the next time he had a chance to sign a new deal, which is already an age where the NFL is starting to sour on investing in backs too heavily.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buckna said:

Pointless, Hunt is still on his first contract too and is not their starter. I brought up the salary because he said it was good business to pay a guy they are using as CoP and receiving back 4.1M. I’d say that’s highly debatable. For instance, they could have just kept Duke Johnson for less money had they not pissed him off.

Pointless? Hunt isnt on his first contract either. His contract is up; he is a RFA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Given that Hunt was so close to walking away from all of his talent with nothing I doubt he would want to risk it all again just for a chance to become really really really rich instead of just really really rich.

That's before we even account for the notion that if he were to take a 1 year prove it deal he would be about to turn 26 the next time he had a chance to sign a new deal, which is already an age where the NFL is starting to sour on investing in backs too heavily.

I think we make mistakes when we try to get in these guys heads.  We did it with Bell & Gordon & their contract disputes.  We did it (repeatedly) with Josh Gordon & his battles with drugs & alcohol.  We did it with AP after the child abuse allegations, we did/do it with NE, every time cheating allegations surface.  “No way he’ll turn down that much money;” “why doesn’t he just stop drinking/drugging until he gets paid, then do whatever he wants;” “just stop disciplining your kid like that (or at least don’t talk about it), till you’re done playing;” “they’re so good, why do they even bother trying to get these tiny advantages;” etc.  They don’t think the way we believe they should think.  Maybe it’s just a sub-set of the elites athletes, or maybe these type of individuals just think differently, or maybe there’s some other explanation, altogether.  But I’m not sure these kinds of assumptions have any more merit than mere speculation,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

He’s definitely talented. If we want to throw out a generic “top 10 talent” tag for him I guess I can buy that but, it’s relative. Off the top of my head I think the following backs are clearly better:

Barkley, McCaffrey, Kamara, Elliot, Cook, Chubb, Ingram, Gurley (injuries may drop him off), Mixon...

...then there would be a group that would be at best debatable including Henry, Bell, Gordon, Fournette, Drake...

...and while I get that we don’t know what an incoming rookie will do at the NFL level until they actually take the field I don’t think it’s outrageous to say that there 3-4 backs that may likely move ahead of Hunt.

So I get that he’s a very good all around RB but is he worth $4-5MM plus forfeiting a second round pick? I would not want my team making a move like that.

Just my $.02, but I'd place him with Cook & Chubb in your list -- very similar to Cook.  I'm sure people disagree.  Many think of him as a COP guy, but he's much stronger than that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, daveR said:

Just my $.02, but I'd place him with Cook & Chubb in your list -- very similar to Cook.  I'm sure people disagree.  Many think of him as a COP guy, but he's much stronger than that.  

He’s only the CoP guy in Cleveland because of Chubb but he did lead the league in rushing yards as a rookie so people shouldn’t think of him that way.

I can respect your placement, and I did say in another post I’d concede and wouldn’t argue with anyone that put him in the back half of the Top 10. I’m still not sure what his market will be if the Browns put a second round tender on him, but we’ll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think considering hunt being tagged as a forgone conclusion is putting the cart before the horse.

The Browns currently have no real plan.  The only leftover personnel come from the analytics offices from two scemes ago.

The next gm/coach may not want hunt at all, or the new front office might want to sign and trade him for a combination of players and picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wgoldsph said:

I think considering hunt being tagged as a forgone conclusion is putting the cart before the horse.

The Browns currently have no real plan.  The only leftover personnel come from the analytics offices from two scemes ago.

The next gm/coach may not want hunt at all, or the new front office might want to sign and trade him for a combination of players and picks.

More or less -- Eliot Wolf is still around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So with what we know, and maybe more importantly what we don't know, about Hunt right how - is he being viewed as a top 20 dynasty RB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, menobrown said:

I don't think that is unlikely.  $4.1M on a one year deal for Hunt is good business.  My guess is they would put a first round tender on him before say they put a third round tender on him. 

I'm invested in Hunt, want him to exit but I'm less sure of it then others seem to be. Saying all that I'm not ruling out that it's possible Hunt had a verbal agreement with the Browns when he chose to sign with them that they would not tender him this year but in absence of that I would expect a first or second round tender.  Difficult for me to see a lot of teams want to sign Hunt to a long term deal AND give up a first or second.

Again in the absence of a verbal agreement between Hunt and the Browns about not tendering him I don't think he exits Cleveland this off-season unless it's by trade.  Hope I'm wrong.

Not singling you out, just responding to one of the posts talking about tenders. Comments:

  1. The choices are:
    1. First round tender, estimated to be $4.667M in 2020
    2. Second round tender, estimated to be $3.278M in 2020
    3. Original round tender, estimated to be $2.144M in 2020 - Hunt was drafted in the third round, so this option equates to 3rd round for him
  2. It isn't a foregone conclusion that a team that wants Hunt has to give up a pick equivalent to the tender. Cleveland can trade Hunt's restricted rights. So, for example, if they place a 2nd round tender on him, they could ultimately decide to trade him for anything they feel is good enough, e.g., a 3rd round pick, a 4th and 6th, a conditional future pick, etc.

Aside from that stuff, as good as Hunt may have looked in his short stint in Cleveland, having him complicates their rushing offense. Chubb is a runner who excels with zone blocking, and that is what the team mostly uses when he is in as the primary RB. Hunt is better with gap blocking, and that is what the team mostly uses when he is in as the primary RB. Chubb has had better rushing success than Hunt, which seems to imply that the Browns OL is better at zone blocking than gap blocking. It would simplify things for the Browns if they replaced Hunt with another RB who is better with zone blocking.

IMO keeping Hunt mitigates the value of Chubb to the Browns. I think it makes more sense for them to trade him and draft another RB who better fits their scheme.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, matttyl said:

So with what we know, and maybe more importantly what we don't know, about Hunt right how - is he being viewed as a top 20 dynasty RB?

I thought about this as a while and honestly don't know.  As an owner I want to say yes.  He certainly has the upside to be top 5 if everything plays out right. But there's just too much uncertainty.

I'm holding in dynasty leagues.  If I can get him for a 3rd round pick I'm trading for him.  I'm not giving him up for anything less than a 1st though.  Don't know where that puts him value wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, matttyl said:

So with what we know, and maybe more importantly what we don't know, about Hunt right how - is he being viewed as a top 20 dynasty RB?

DynastyPros currently has him at #19 for PPR, but that does not reflect any rookie RBs, so he stands to be pushed out of their top 20 unless his situation changes in such a way as to boost him higher. I'm sure some people would argue a handful of guys they rank above him, but I think they have him in the right ballpark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wgoldsph said:

I thought about this as a while and honestly don't know.  As an owner I want to say yes.  He certainly has the upside to be top 5 if everything plays out right. But there's just too much uncertainty.

I'm holding in dynasty leagues.  If I can get him for a 3rd round pick I'm trading for him.  I'm not giving him up for anything less than a 1st though.  Don't know where that puts him value wise.

Hunt offered for Daniel Jones was declined in a 1 qb league I am in...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IROK said:

Hunt offered for Daniel Jones was declined in a 1 qb league I am in...

Awful move.  Any time you can pick up an rb with flex upside let alone top 20 upside for a backup in a 1 qb league you jump on it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wgoldsph said:

Awful move.  Any time you can pick up an rb with flex upside let alone top 20 upside for a backup in a 1 qb league you jump on it.

I was offered Jamal Adams (DB) and a 4th round pick for him in my 10 team IDP league, half point PPR.  We start 2 DBs, 1 RB (and 2 flex).  Hunt isn't a stater for me (Chubb, Fournette, M Gordon, Ekeler, Freeman).  Adams, before his injury, was by far the top DB in the game - so the move would improve my starting lineup, at the cost of RB depth (and Chubb's immediate backup).  I couldn't bring myself to accept.  I can't see anything that would hurt Hunt's value (only help it) this offseason, but Adams is quite the opposite with a potential trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, matttyl said:

I was offered Jamal Adams (DB) and a 4th round pick for him in my 10 team IDP league, half point PPR.  We start 2 DBs, 1 RB (and 2 flex).  Hunt isn't a stater for me (Chubb, Fournette, M Gordon, Ekeler, Freeman).  Adams, before his injury, was by far the top DB in the game - so the move would improve my starting lineup, at the cost of RB depth (and Chubb's immediate backup).  I couldn't bring myself to accept.  I can't see anything that would hurt Hunt's value (only help it) this offseason, but Adams is quite the opposite with a potential trade. 

That and DB's are a dime a dozen and you can always find top 10 guys on the waiver wire at that position.  It is worse than kicker when it comes to that because of the volatility.  Just look back the last few years where Collins was "by far the top DB in the game" and then it was Derwin James.  They both tumbled after their big seasons.  Adams is a stud but history shows he won't be the top DB next year.  Easy decline for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wgoldsph said:

Awful move.  Any time you can pick up an rb with flex upside let alone top 20 upside for a backup in a 1 qb league you jump on it.

I agree, but I find it interesting that people are overlooking what Jones did so much.

Jones 16 game pace (and we're only extrapolating from 12 here, not like we're pushing out 3 games to 16) was 4000 yards and 35 TDs with 374 yards rushing....as a rookie.

Other than the turnovers this was like Baker's rookie year on steroids and no one seems to have noticed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

I agree, but I find it interesting that people are overlooking what Jones did so much.

Jones 16 game pace (and we're only extrapolating from 12 here, not like we're pushing out 3 games to 16) was 4000 yards and 35 TDs with 374 yards rushing....as a rookie.

Other than the turnovers this was like Baker's rookie year on steroids and no one seems to have noticed.

Some of those are fixable.  He only had 12 int's which isn't terrible for a rookie compared to his 24 Td's.  However, another 11 lost fumbles is the big problem.  He needs to get stronger with the ball in the pocket with traffic around.  If he can get that number under control he has top 5 fantasy potential moving forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gally said:

Some of those are fixable.  He only had 12 int's which isn't terrible for a rookie compared to his 24 Td's.  However, another 11 lost fumbles is the big problem.  He needs to get stronger with the ball in the pocket with traffic around.  If he can get that number under control he has top 5 fantasy potential moving forward. 

Not to derail the thread but, how long of a time frame is that?  I don't see that offense improving enough next year.  Or Jones becoming top fifteen let alone top five next year.  Maybe his third year he's a low end starter in 1qb leagues?

Meanwhile two years of a ppr flex rb (which is what hunt is behind Chubb) with top 5 upside (he was as a rookie) is much more valuable to me.

2 hours ago, Gally said:

That and DB's are a dime a dozen and you can always find top 10 guys on the waiver wire at that position.  It is worse than kicker when it comes to that because of the volatility.  Just look back the last few years where Collins was "by far the top DB in the game" and then it was Derwin James.  They both tumbled after their big seasons.  Adams is a stud but history shows he won't be the top DB next year.  Easy decline for me. 

James was on ir most of the season, and Adams did well his first two seasons.  DB is a crapshoot though, mostly because as a db gets better qbs throw to them less.

 

3 hours ago, matttyl said:

I was offered Jamal Adams (DB) and a 4th round pick for him in my 10 team IDP league, half point PPR.  We start 2 DBs, 1 RB (and 2 flex).  Hunt isn't a stater for me (Chubb, Fournette, M Gordon, Ekeler, Freeman).  Adams, before his injury, was by far the top DB in the game - so the move would improve my starting lineup, at the cost of RB depth (and Chubb's immediate backup).  I couldn't bring myself to accept.  I can't see anything that would hurt Hunt's value (only help it) this offseason, but Adams is quite the opposite with a potential trade. 

See if you can get rid of Freeman.  If he's still starting for alt next season and they don't draft a rb to chase him I'll eat my hat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, wgoldsph said:

Not to derail the thread but, how long of a time frame is that?  I don't see that offense improving enough next year.  Or Jones becoming top fifteen let alone top five next year.  Maybe his third year he's a low end starter in 1qb leagues?

Why does the offense have to improve next year?  Jones' 16 game pace this year was 327 fantasy points, which would have been QB6.  As a rookie.  And that's in a league that counts -2 for turnovers, which he'll almost certainly have fewer of next year.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Why does the offense have to improve next year?  Jones' 16 game pace this year was 327 fantasy points, which would have been QB6.  As a rookie.  And that's in a league that counts -2 for turnovers, which he'll almost certainly have fewer of next year.

If you're counting average per game played then you have to bump him down for guys who missed time like brees, Strafford, tannehill, darnold...

Just looking at his numbers four of his games (against tb, det, nyj, and was) made up the majority of his yards and tds.  When playing quality or even middling competition he was a better mitch Trubisky.

 

This belongs in the Jones thread though.  I'm not sold on him at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon-Journal confirms Kareem Hunt was pulled over and cited for a traffic violation Tuesday in Rocky River, Ohio.

Police discovered three "small amounts" of marijuana in the vehicle, which Hunt claimed belonged to his brother. Hunt, who was driving a car registered under his mother's name, was cited for speeding (he was clocked at 77 mph when the posted speed limit was 60) but avoided marijuana charges. Hunt can't afford any more slip-ups after the off-field scandal that led to his departure from Kansas City in 2018, though it doesn't sound like anything will come of this particular incident. If he can walk the straight and narrow, the former rushing champ should land a starting job when he enters free agency this offseason.

SOURCE: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Jan 24, 2020, 11:58 AM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hunt doesn't seem to make very good decisions. Terrible timing on this. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Hunt doesn't seem to make very good decisions. Terrible timing on this. 

The fact that he avoided marijuana charges is HUGE, and to be honest, traveling 77 in a 60 isn’t that egregious. I hope new Browns management run scared and let another team sign him this off-season. For dynasty owners, this could be a blessing in disguise! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FGITLOTR said:

The fact that he avoided marijuana charges is HUGE, and to be honest, traveling 77 in a 60 isn’t that egregious. I hope new Browns management run scared and let another team sign him this off-season. For dynasty owners, this could be a blessing in disguise! 

Yeah, nothing I consider morally very wrong. I just mean that he's going to be given a lot less room for error than most other NFL players given the high profile incident. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FGITLOTR said:

The fact that he avoided marijuana charges is HUGE, and to be honest, traveling 77 in a 60 isn’t that egregious. I hope new Browns management run scared and let another team sign him this off-season. For dynasty owners, this could be a blessing in disguise! 

My thoughts exactly and one thing I'd add since he was with a family member in this latest incident is that hopefully both Hunt and the Browns come to mutual conclusion that Kareem would be better off playing somewhere not so close to home.

My negative takeaway is that this might make it harder for another team to trust him and going to need some trust to make him an offer the Browns don't want to match and/or compensate the Browns in a trade while at the same time making Hunt a good enough offer for him to sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.