What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dunkirk - Chris Nolan's latest film (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
7/21/17

* First since Interstellar in '14.

Wiki bio claims he has sixth highest combined box office ever (not sure about historically cost adjusted dollars?) - $4.2. billion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great.  One of the few movies out this summer I actually want to see. 
Seemed to need a thread, when I searched, only movie-related mention I saw was yours in a general thread (and Tim,referenced the actual battle in a military thread).

Seemed to need a thread, when I searched, only movie-related mention I saw was yours in a general thread (and Tim,referenced the actual battle in a military thread).
For sure.  I haven't really liked Nolan's last couple movies, but I still respect the hell out of the way he makes his movies.  Pushes the IMAX, fairly adverse to CGI, etc.  He is still one director I am glad to throw some $$ at when his movies come out.  

The one thing that does make me a little nervous is that it's PG-13.  It is hard to make a great war movie with that rating, IMO. 

probably one of those you have to see in theaters if you're going to get full enjoyment out of it. gotta have that immersive sound and percussive bass from the explosions, etc.

The Brits consider it one of their defining moments. Not the soldiers. But the civilians who rescued them. The Dunkirk Spirit.
just read Churchill's memoirs and one thing that stuck out to me was the amount of civilian participation and loss in aspects of the war. Dunkirk was an amazing part of it that I dint know before. I'll def be checking this movie out.

crazy story, really.   Hard to imagine what all out war would be like in this millenia
I'm reading this book right now that is interviews of German solders who were in various roles at Normandy. It's ####### nuts. No communication, they have no idea what's happening, the guys manning those bunkers on the beach just describing the morning seeing the entire horizon filled with ships all of a sudden. Crazy ### incendiary bombs.

One thing I never understood is how Saving Private Ryan got the scale of the invasion so wrong. There were vastly more ships near the beach than what was shown. 

Dunkirk could have ended the war in the west if Hitler wouldn't have a) lost his nerve,  b) put so much stock in believing he could negotiate peace with England, and c) been snowballed so much by Hermann Goerring.

I'm reading this book right now that is interviews of German solders who were in various roles at Normandy. It's ####### nuts. No communication, they have no idea what's happening, the guys manning those bunkers on the beach just describing the morning seeing the entire horizon filled with ships all of a sudden. Crazy ### incendiary bombs.
D-Day Through German Eyes? 

Really good book. Its interesting to hear the other side's account for a change. 

One thing I never understood is how Saving Private Ryan got the scale of the invasion so wrong. There were vastly more ships near the beach than what was shown. 

Dunkirk could have ended the war in the west if Hitler wouldn't have a) lost his nerve,  b) put so much stock in believing he could negotiate peace with England, and c) been snowballed so much by Hermann Goerring.
Even if the British Expeditionary Force had been destroyed at Dunkirk, a cross-channel invasion would have been very difficult.  The Germans didn't have the resources for Operation Sea Lion in 1940.  The Royal Navy and RAF were strong enough to prevent a beachhead and disrupt the German supply lines.   A negotiated stalemate with Britain was Hitler's best short-term option following the fall of France.

In. Don't know much about the back story, but I plan to read up before the movie (and then be that guy who complains about all that they missed) 

Even if the British Expeditionary Force had been destroyed at Dunkirk, a cross-channel invasion would have been very difficult.  The Germans didn't have the resources for Operation Sea Lion in 1940.  The Royal Navy and RAF were strong enough to prevent a beachhead and disrupt the German supply lines.   A negotiated stalemate with Britain was Hitler's best short-term option following the fall of France.
That's what he was hoping for all along. Had the BEF been destroyed at Dunkirk there likely would have been that stalemate. He didn't want to expend resources in Britain, wanting to use them against the Soviets instead.

For sure.  I haven't really liked Nolan's last couple movies, but I still respect the hell out of the way he makes his movies.  Pushes the IMAX, fairly adverse to CGI, etc.  He is still one director I am glad to throw some $$ at when his movies come out.  

probably one of those you have to see in theaters if you're going to get full enjoyment out of it. gotta have that immersive sound and percussive bass from the explosions, etc.
I don't know much about the story, so I'll read up on it before watching the movie cuz it sounds crazy.
Nolan doesn't just encourage his movies be displayed in IMAX, he actually shoots his films with the special IMAX cameras so that the aspect ratio and visuals are optimized for the giant screen. I think I'm going to seek out a screening of Dunkirk in a laser projected IMAX theater.

The one thing that does make me a little nervous is that it's PG-13.  It is hard to make a great war movie with that rating, IMO. 
Interesting point.

Without breaking down by rating advisory, a list of SOME (15) of my favorite war films:

Thin Red Line by Malick has become my favorite war genre film, otherwise in no particular order.

Apocalypse Now

Full Metal Jacket and Paths of Glory (Anti-War genre?) by Kubrick

Black Hawk Down and Gladiator by Ridley Scott

Fall of the Roman Empire

Deer Hunter

Lawrence of Arabia

Patton

Guns of Navarone (###### ######!)

Where Eagles Dare

Dirty Dozen

Big Red One

Zulu

What book?

I read "the Snow Goose" by Paul Galico in my mom's 7th grade English class many many years ago. She loved the story and used it in her curriculum every year as far as I know. Although the Dunkirk rescue is not the focus of the story, it was my first introduction to this remarkable event and I've always carried a picture in my head of the hunchback Philip sailing out to rescue hundreds of English soldiers. When my mom moved into a memory care facility a few years ago I took one of her several copies from her personal belongings - an illustrated version. After seeing a preview to this movie, I brought a copy with me when I visited her a couple weeks ago and would like to think she was following along a bit as I read a couple sections to her, although that seems unlikely. Its a great short story - perhaps a bit overboard on the sentimentality, but certainly a worthwhile short story if rather tangential look at the Dunkirk rescue.

I read "the Snow Goose" by Paul Galico in my mom's 7th grade English class many many years ago. She loved the story and used it in her curriculum every year as far as I know. Although the Dunkirk rescue is not the focus of the story, it was my first introduction to this remarkable event and I've always carried a picture in my head of the hunchback Philip sailing out to rescue hundreds of English soldiers. When my mom moved into a memory care facility a few years ago I took one of her several copies from her personal belongings - an illustrated version. After seeing a preview to this movie, I brought a copy with me when I visited her a couple weeks ago and would like to think she was following along a bit as I read a couple sections to her, although that seems unlikely. Its a great short story - perhaps a bit overboard on the sentimentality, but certainly a worthwhile short story if rather tangential look at the Dunkirk rescue.
nice job helping out your mother.  big kudos!

Mines in a alteimers(sp?) nursing home also.  very tough to visit for me, but I do.

Users who are viewing this thread