What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kasey Kasem's American Top 40: This week in 1975 (1 Viewer)

Uruk-Hai

Footballguy
Haven't had time to do one of these in a while. I may have to post in bunches, as I'm cooking a bunch of food.

Let's kick it off with the mighty Temptations

40. "Shaky Ground"

39. "Love Won't Let Me Wait" - Major Harris

I remember this song coming on and my mother changing the channel because of the lady's moaning. That may have been the most embarrassed I've ever seen her.

38. "Harry Truman" - Chicago

I don't recall this song at all. Which is probably for the best, since it's awful. And I liked Chicago back then.

37. "Shaving Cream" - Benny Bell

Kasey says this is the slowest a song ever took to first hit the Top 40. It was released in 1946. I have no idea why it woke up in 1975.

37. "Shaving Cream" - Benny Bell

Kasey says this is the slowest a song ever took to first hit the Top 40. It was released in 1946. I have no idea why it woke up in 1975.
as per wiki:

After the song began to be played on the Dr. Demento radio show in the 1970s, Vanguard Records reissued the song in 1975, and it became a hit, peaking at #30 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Early copies of the 1975 Vanguard single credited Bell as the performer.[2]However, after controversy ensued, the same recording was re-released with revised labels crediting Paul Wynn as performer.

36. "My Eyes Adored You" - Frankie Valli.

When this came out I was 13 and in Junior High (Middle School for you young 'uns), so this worked perfectly for every drama-filled one-day, the-world-is-ending relationship.

as per wiki:

After the song began to be played on the Dr. Demento radio show in the 1970s, Vanguard Records reissued the song in 1975, and it became a hit, peaking at #30 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Early copies of the 1975 Vanguard single credited Bell as the performer.[2]However, after controversy ensued, the same recording was re-released with revised labels crediting Paul Wynn as performer.
Wow. Didn't know that, but it makes sense. Thanks!

35. "Bad Time" - Grand Funk

As I'm sure many of you know from my music posts here, I was a huge Grand Funk fanboy. This one, at the time, seemed a little wimpy to me. But in hindsight it wasn't any wimpier than their "harder" stuff. In other words, a perfect GFR record.  :wub:

34. "Young Americans" - David Bowie

This is probably my favorite Bowie single ("Changes" comes really close). 

32. "You Are So Beautiful" - Joe Cocker

Joe, as usual, sounds like someone is slowly ripping his toenails off with a paper clip and a cigarette lighter. I love many of Joe's songs, but this one goes on way too long.

31. "Have You Never Been Mellow" - Olivia Newton John

The title always pissed me off - it feels like someone was trying to be literary and failing (like, you know, Paul Simon). Good God, though, her "kick your shoes off" was like a jolt of electricity through 13 year-old me  :wub:

30. "Amie" - Pure Prairie League

Eagles if Eagles hadn't gotten full of themselves and wanted to be IMPORTANT

29. "Autobahn" - Kraftwerk

Took decades for it to set in, but this was probably the most influential record of that year. I certainly had never heard anything like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
27. "Shoeshine Boy" - Eddie Kendricks

Best falsetto singer in rock history, but this isn't a very good record.

29. "Autobahn" - Kraftwerk

Took decades for it to set in, but this was probably the most influential record of that year. I certainly had never heard anything like this.
first heard this on WNEW FM up here, and, yeah - it was all WOW!/WHAT?  of course, even on an AOR station like that we only were exposed to the 'condensed' version - and while Bowie was sowing his plastic soul oats, the seed for his Berlin trilogy was planted ...

26. "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" - John Denver

The 7th-inning stretch song in Baltimore at Orioles' games for decades. I stood up and clapped more times than I can count at Memorial Stadium when this came on. It's awful, though.

first heard this on WNEW FM up here, and, yeah - it was all WOW!/WHAT?  of course, even on an AOR station like that we only were exposed to the 'condensed' version - and while Bowie was sowing his plastic soul oats, the seed for his Berlin trilogy was planted ...
I was big-time into reading sci-fi back then and remember thinking that this provided a better soundtrack than most of the prog that was out.

25. "Poetry Man" - Phoebe Snow

This was a song I knew was over my head (a heavy admission from me back then) when I was 13. 

22. "Killer Queen" - Queen

This record freaked me out in 1975, but not for the reasons you might think. It was the phasing (or whatever they call it), plus I didn't understand anything he was singing about ("Moet Chandon", "baroness", and the rest....).

21. "It's A Miracle" - Barry Manilow

I like some of his songs. This one....not so much.
"Mandy" was a perfect recording - tough to top that, and i don't think he ever did ...

"Miracle" was abysmal, but the dude was selling platters on par with Elton John. 

20. "Bertha Butt Boogie" - Jimmy Castor Bunch

I saw Jimmy Castor open for KC and/or the Trammps sometime back in the 70s in DC. That dude put on a show.

Castor also was a stand-in for Frankie Lymon back in the 50s/60s when Lymon got sick.

"Mandy" was a perfect recording - tough to top that, and i don't think he ever did ...

"Miracle" was abysmal, but the dude was selling platters on par with Elton John. 
Agreed. His ballads, by and large, were better than the faster songs.

19. "Express" - BT Express

This is a great groove song. The long version is too much of a good thing, but the radio cut is a Jag humming on all cylinders.

23. "How Long" - Ace

Perfect '70s trash and I mean that in the best possible way. 
My buddy's bad plays this every damn time they play.

The average age of the people that go to their "shows" is about 45.  This always happens:

"Oh I love this song!"

"Me too!"

"Oh who does this song?  America? No.  Wait, is it Grand Funk Whatever?"

"No, it's not them.  Dang.  Is it the Doobies? No. Little River Band?"

If I feel like it I'll say "It's Ace. The band is called Ace."

I usually get back "Who?"

Boooooo!

Although. you are right because........

18. "I Don't Like To Sleep Alone" - Paul Anka

See? This is the kind of song that older Baby Boomers latched onto when they started smoking dope and having late babies they ignored. #### you, Paul Anka.

Users who are viewing this thread