What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pardon Me. Can We Talk Minneapolis Music Scene? (1 Viewer)

Limp Ditka

Footballguy
Pardon Me

Some cities have been the epicenter for some great music scenes over the years, but my favorite is probably 1980's Minneapolis 

And while Prince's name on the marque of 1st Avenue may be the first image that pops into people's mind when it comes to great music from 1980s Minneapolis, the bands that shook the walls around the corner, in 7th Street Entry, are the ones that have won my heart over the last 30 something years.

The Replacements, Hüsker Dü / Bob Mould, Soul Aslyum each got major label deals and made an impact nationally. Other bands like The Magnolias, Suicide Machines and Trip Shakespeare were parts of its foundation and helped make it a special time and place.

Back to Prince, one could argue that he's the greatest artist this country has ever produced. Brilliant songwriter, a born musician and a fearless performer. He could pick up and play any instrument and as far as I know did so for the majority of his recordings. 

My personal favorite songwriter ever, not just from Minneapolis, is Westerburg. No one has ever been able to tap into each and every one of my emotions like he has. He can make me laugh and cry, ponder life one minute and make me think 'who ####### cares' the next.

In this thread share your stories, your love of the bands, both big and small, from this city. Doesn't have to be just that great run of the 80s, that just happens to be what I know and love.

Both Husker Du and Replacements played frequently in Madison WI when I was an undergrad there in the mid 80s, and I saw both bands many times. The Replacements' drunken punk rocker schtick got old after a while and I eventually gave up on them as a live act. The final straw was a show at Turner Hall. One of the guitarists was playing flat on his back by the second song, pissing everyone off. Another dude started rolling large inner tubes from back onto the stage, eventually taking out the drum kit. It got ugly, show ended. Mould and co were always very professional. 

Bob Dylans home town of Duluth Minnesota produced two of my favorite current folk acts - Trampled by Turtles (bluegrass) and Charlie Parr. Charlie is touring now - worth checking out for fans of the singer/songwriter folk stuff. 

This was definitely a holy trinity of bands for me too. Soul Asylum was pretty well overlooked for a long time before they finally achieved mainstream notoriety with Grave Dancers Union. By then, I thought they had become pretty formulaic and the album was not nearly as good as their earlier records. Got to see all of these bands live. Soul Asylum was awesome.I still listen to these bands all these years later. I also really liked some of Grant Hart's solo stuff and some stuff he did with Nova Mob, but that was pretty hit or miss. You can get the Husker Du biography book from Barnes & Noble for $3.50. link

Never saw The Replacements live, but did catch a great solo Westerberg show at the State 1994-ish.  Mix of solo and Mats material.  

During Skyway, the crowd clapping the beat got ahead of the music.  Paul quipped, "it's like playing with Chris" and shrugged it off.

Last song of encore was I.O.U.  Finished his last solo, broke his guitar against an amp, walked off the stage, and called it a night.

This was definitely a holy trinity of bands for me too. Soul Asylum was pretty well overlooked for a long time before they finally achieved mainstream notoriety with Grave Dancers Union. By then, I thought they had become pretty formulaic and the album was not nearly as good as their earlier records. Got to see all of these bands live. Soul Asylum was awesome.I still listen to these bands all these years later. I also really liked some of Grant Hart's solo stuff and some stuff he did with Nova Mob, but that was pretty hit or miss. You can get the Husker Du biography book from Barnes & Noble for $3.50. link
I was fascinated by watching Soul Asylum's rise, peak, and fall as a national act.  Moved to town just as they became major-label artists, graduating from playing record stores in Minneapolis to get people to come to their shows.  

Loved how much of their back catalog they played when they did MTV Unplugged.  Would have been easy to play 6-7 songs from GDU and a cover, but they fought to play old stuff the masses hadn't heard yet like Never Really Been.

The summer they were on Lollapalooza, they skipped the MSP date, chose to headline a radio station festival over in Somerset, WI instead.  Awesome show.  Band that went on before them was the Gin Blossoms.  (Gee, I wonder if this was early 90s?)  Last song of the encore was 99%.  Dave and Dan battled to see to who could create the most feedback, dropped their guitars, left the stage, and called it a night.  

Then there was the triple-bill at Midway Stadium where Matthew Sweet, The Jayhawks, and Soul Aslyum put up sets worthy of heading an outdoor night of music.  This was Let Your Dim Light Shine and the Victoria Williams tribute album, probably as flat-out famous as Soul Asylum got.  Winona Ryder was dating Pirner at the time; she was on the side of the stage all night taking it all in.  Pirner snuck out during the Jayhawks set to sing Nature's Way with Louris.  

Then many years later they played the second stage at the Basillica Block Party.  Didn't have as many kids swooning over them, but still put on a great show.  Crowd loved the cover of Rhinestone Cowboy.

Doesn't the Hold Steady have Minneapolis roots?
Official birthplace of the band is NYC, but Craig Finn grew up in the Minneapolis suburbs.  That's why a lot of their songs take place in Minnesota.  

ETA; looking over Finn's Wikipedia page, he's a Breck '89.  Three instant conclusions:

1.  He grew up with some money; Breck is an expensive private school in an area where the public schools are excellent

2.  Pickles probably partied with him at some point in high school

3.  The local music scene when Finn was in high school was Replacements and Husker Du,  

Last edited by a moderator:
The Suburbs were the first new wave band to break out of Minneapolis.  Like so many local artists, their first records were released on the Twin/Tone label but eventually were signed by Mercury. They were more eclectic than the early punks with their noisy, jittery dance songs that definitely dates their music. 

Their magnum opus is 1981's Credit in Heaven LP, a double album that throws in everything but the kitchen sink.  After signing with a major label, their music became a bit more straightforward.  They were pretty popular in the Midwest and I saw them headline a show in SF with R.E.M. as the openers.

Cows

Cigarette in Backwards

Credit in Heaven album (audio only)

I've seen Soul Asylum 5 times over the years.

Most memorable was July 21st, 1991.

Soul Asylum and Jayhawks at Metro in Chicago. One other band was on the bill that night. 

Pearl Jam

Release date of Ten was August 21.
Wow.

Right before Pearl Jam and Soul Asylum exploded.  What a night that must have been - all three were ready for greater fame, still out in front of them.

The only time I've seen Pearl Jam was Lollapalooza 92 at Alpine Valley: Pearl Jam and Soundgarden played early in the afternoon, Chili Peppers were the headliners.  

Like so many local artists, their first records were released on the Twin/Tone label 
Twin/Tone's legacy as a launch pad from that era is really strong.  IIRC, The Suburbs was the first act they signed, recorded, released.  

Between Jesperson's work at Twin/Tone in the city launching new wave and punk acts, Jimmy Jam & Terry creating R&B supersellers at Flyte Tyme in Edina, and of course Prince and crew out at Paisley Park in Chanhassen, a ton of amazing music either born or created there.  

The Suburbs were the first new wave band to break out of Minneapolis.  Like so many local artists, their first records were released on the Twin/Tone label but eventually were signed by Mercury. They were more eclectic than the early punks with their noisy, jittery dance songs that definitely dates their music. 

Their magnum opus is 1981's Credit in Heaven LP, a double album that throws in everything but the kitchen sink.  After signing with a major label, their music became a bit more straightforward.  They were pretty popular in the Midwest and I saw them headline a show in SF with R.E.M. as the openers.

Cows

Cigarette in Backwards

Credit in Heaven album (audio only)
I'd forgotten about the Suburbs. I still have my vinyl copy of Love is the Law. Might have to pull that out later to annoy my kids. 

Curtiss A was another seminal figure in the Minneapolis rock scene.  He was a few years older when punk and new wave happened and always maintained one foot squarely in the garage.  It was a big deal in 1980 when Rolling Stone gave his debut album Courtesy a five star rating.  One of his early bands Spooks included future Mats guitarist Slim Dunlap.

I Don't Wanna Be President

Thief in the Night

Just ordered some tickets for Mike Watt and checked out his webpage. It appears he has Grant Hart opening for him on a couple of shows he's doing with the Meat Puppets. Just a FYI for the few people here who were interested in this thread, and might want to catch it. Oh, and just noticed Greg Norton's band is also playing at some. Tour Dates

I was a little young for the Replacements when they were making music.  Even though I enjoyed his contributions to the Singles soundtrack, for some reason I never looked to get into his solo stuff.  Thanks to Spotify I am working through both of those discographies now.

Prince, to me, is one of the most overrated artists of all time.  Maybe it is because of the love fest that has been going on over him for the last year.  But to suggest he's the greatest artist this country has ever produced?  He's not even the best from Minnesota.

Just ordered some tickets for Mike Watt and checked out his webpage. It appears he has Grant Hart opening for him on a couple of shows he's doing with the Meat Puppets. Just a FYI for the few people here who were interested in this thread, and might want to catch it. Oh, and just noticed Greg Norton's band is also playing at some. Tour Dates
Looks like Grant wont be with them for the Chicago gig, but Greg Norton's band Porcupine will be. If I can get to it, that will mean I've finally seen all 3 member of Husker Du live in my lifetime. Now just need to figure out how to see them together on the same stage.

Looks like Grant wont be with them for the Chicago gig, but Greg Norton's band Porcupine will be. If I can get to it, that will mean I've finally seen all 3 member of Husker Du live in my lifetime. Now just need to figure out how to see them together on the same stage.
If that Husker Du reunion concert ever happens, don't be late to the show because they might break up during the first song.

Sounds like a steel cage death match might be the most likely way that happens "“You know… Grant and I have talked,” Mould said. “We’re fine. Will we work together? No. I like to run my own ship and I think he likes to run his own ship, and that’s great.” http://diffuser.fm/husker-dont-bob-mould-squashes-husker-du-reunion-rumors/

Saw Grant with Nova Mob :yawn: and solo opening up for Buffalo Tom. Both shows were at the aforementioned Metro in Chicago

Buffalo Tom's never been shy about being Huskers fans (I'm diggin' New Day Rising), so when they finished their set, they left the stage and came back out for an encore with Grant and blasted through 2-3 Husker Du songs. Know Girl Who Lives On Heaven Hill was one of them. Age is getting the better of me when it comes to what else they played.

Sounds like a steel cage death match might be the most likely way that happens "“You know… Grant and I have talked,” Mould said. “We’re fine. Will we work together? No. I like to run my own ship and I think he likes to run his own ship, and that’s great.” http://diffuser.fm/husker-dont-bob-mould-squashes-husker-du-reunion-rumors/

Love the wrestling reference as Bob spent a few years working with WCW. And, if you look closely, based on his shirt in this video, the wrestling love goes back a long ways....One Way In, No Way Out

The Suburbs have a new song "Je Suis Strange".

It doesn't sound much like the Suburbs of yore but it's alright.  One of the signature elements of their sound was always drummer Hugo Klaers' rolls.  He's one of the two original members left but the new song doesn't try to capture the way the drums sounded 35 years ago.

Arcwelder is one of my favorite Minneapolis bands.  These guys never made it mainstream but put several great albums on Touch & Go in the 90s.  They even still play the occasional show.

Pardon Me

Some cities have been the epicenter for some great music scenes over the years, but my favorite is probably 1980's Minneapolis 

And while Prince's name on the marque of 1st Avenue may be the first image that pops into people's mind when it comes to great music from 1980s Minneapolis, the bands that shook the walls around the corner, in 7th Street Entry, are the ones that have won my heart over the last 30 something years.

The Replacements, Hüsker Dü / Bob Mould, Soul Aslyum each got major label deals and made an impact nationally. Other bands like The Magnolias, Suicide Machines and Trip Shakespeare were parts of its foundation and helped make it a special time and place.

Back to Prince, one could argue that he's the greatest artist this country has ever produced. Brilliant songwriter, a born musician and a fearless performer. He could pick up and play any instrument and as far as I know did so for the majority of his recordings. 

My personal favorite songwriter ever, not just from Minneapolis, is Westerburg. No one has ever been able to tap into each and every one of my emotions like he has. He can make me laugh and cry, ponder life one minute and make me think 'who ####### cares' the next.

In this thread share your stories, your love of the bands, both big and small, from this city. Doesn't have to be just that great run of the 80s, that just happens to be what I know and love.
Were there 2 versions of this band? The Suicide Machines were a 90s Detroit band. 

All good mentions above (though I'd be shocked if the person suggesting Prince is overrated saw him in concert - that is what convinced me of his genius anyway). I was in college in the early 90s and loved a couple of bands that were right on the cusp of the big time - Tina and the B-Sides and the Gear Daddies. The Gear Daddies had a "Letterman moment" and the B-sides were once named the "best bar band in America" but neither one garnered the national attention they might have earned. But even today I still listen to both and love the tunes.

All good mentions above (though I'd be shocked if the person suggesting Prince is overrated saw him in concert - that is what convinced me of his genius anyway). I was in college in the early 90s and loved a couple of bands that were right on the cusp of the big time - Tina and the B-Sides and the Gear Daddies. The Gear Daddies had a "Letterman moment" and the B-sides were once named the "best bar band in America" but neither one garnered the national attention they might have earned. But even today I still listen to both and love the tunes.
Good calls here.  Really hoped The Gear Daddies would punch through - they were just good enough and funny enough to break out, and anything with Martin Zellar on stage was entertaining and just unpredictable enough to be a different show every time.  I hope they still collect enough residuals on "Zamboni" to pay their bills.  
Still listen to Can't Have Nothin' Nice every once in a while.  The mix of studio and live originals with covers and live skits captures the experience of their shows and being a fan so well.

So much for that Hüskers reunion

RIP Grant

:(

From Mould's Facebook page

It was the Fall of 1978. I was attending Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. One block from my dormitory was a tiny store called Cheapo Records. There was a PA system set up near the front door blaring punk rock. I went inside and ended up hanging out with the only person in the shop. His name was Grant Hart.

The next nine years of my life was spent side-by-side with Grant. We made amazing music together. We (almost) always agreed on how to present our collective work to the world. When we fought about the details, it was because we both cared. The band was our life. It was an amazing decade.

We stopped working together in January 1988. We went on to solo careers, fronting our own bands, finding different ways to tell our individual stories. We stayed in contact over the next 29 years — sometimes peaceful, sometimes difficult, sometimes through go-betweens. For better or worse, that’s how it was, and occasionally that’s what it is when two people care deeply about everything they built together.

The tragic news of Grant’s passing was not unexpected to me. My deepest condolences and thoughts to Grant’s family, friends, and fans around the world.

Grant Hart was a gifted visual artist, a wonderful story teller, and a frighteningly talented musician. Everyone touched by his spirit will always remember.

Godspeed, Grant. I miss you. Be with the angels.

That sucks. Definitely fought his share of demons. Now I feel bad for talking #### about him in the underrated bands thread. RIP.

Star Tribune's write up: Link

And from Minnesota Public Radio: Link 

So much for that Hüskers reunion

RIP Grant

:(

From Mould's Facebook page
RIP. His passing made me incidentally think of Dillinger Four because they've been so great, so unrecognized as Midwestern stalwarts. It's just sad. 

Star Tribune's write-up is so great. I would encourage anyone worthy of their writing salt to read it.  

so we walked across that grain belt bridge.
into bright new minneapolis
she said i think that all those things I did
were just momentum from the party pit.

I guess the heavy stuff ain't quite at its heaviest
By the time it gets out to suburban Minneapolis
We were living up at Nicollet and 66th
With three skaters and some hoodrat chick

Users who are viewing this thread