What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alvin Kamara, NO (2 Viewers)

Expect big things From Alvin this year.  I don;t think Murray is the same threat that Ingram was in the passing game and, as a result, Kamara will play more snaps this year.  Still not enough touches to be RB1, but a lock for top 5 production barring injury.

people were worried last year (myself included) about not being able to replicate historic production rates on limited touches.... now with 2 years excellent production to stand on people are confident he's easily a top 5 RB this year and have zero concern...!

Expect big things From Alvin this year.  I don;t think Murray is the same threat that Ingram was in the passing game and, as a result, Kamara will play more snaps this year.  Still not enough touches to be RB1, but a lock for top 5 production barring injury.
I disagree.  They have the same catch % for their careers, at 79.  I would go so far as to say Murray is the better receiver, since he has had far worse QB's throwing to him.

I disagree.  They have the same catch % for their careers, at 79.  I would go so far as to say Murray is the better receiver, since he has had far worse QB's throwing to him.
Ingram is a better all around running back than murray imo (regardless of catch %).   If I had Kamara I would rather have Murray sitting behind him anyways. Sometimes Ingram would get an entire series or quarter for that matter.   Don't see that with murray myself

Last edited by a moderator:
Put me down in the camp that Murray is every bit as good as Ingram. They are different, Ingram has a little more wiggle to his game and Murray is more about straight line speed. Both have good power. 

Fair point on catch % but Kamara has far exceeded Murray in usage in that area and his elusiveness and creativity lend themselves to the Saints offense.

I'm sure Murray can get his if Brees trusts him and has shown good hands and doesn't have many drops, but Kamara is tailor-made for the majority of receiving back duties in this offense in addition to the rushing he'll provide.

Have to see how it plays out until we know what we know.

Fair point on catch % but Kamara has far exceeded Murray in usage in that area and his elusiveness and creativity lend themselves to the Saints offense.

I'm sure Murray can get his if Brees trusts him and has shown good hands and doesn't have many drops, but Kamara is tailor-made for the majority of receiving back duties in this offense in addition to the rushing he'll provide.

Have to see how it plays out until we know what we know.
I think you misunderstood me.  I was comparing Murray to Ingram, not Kamara.  Kamara's role will be the same, whether it's Murray or Ingram behind him.

Saints coach Sean Payton expects a "similar" role for Alvin Kamara this season.

With Mark Ingram gone, fantasy players have hoped Kamara would be New Orleans' workhorse, as he was during Ingram's suspension in 2018, but it does not appear as if that is the plan. "We’ve been pleased with the balance we’ve had with him," Payton said. "We think it’s been a good count." Kamara was still one of the top fantasy backs in the league when Ingram was in the fold last season, and there is always a chance the Saints are forced to expand his role if Latavius Murray cannot adequately replace Ingram. Still, this is a bit of a concern for a consensus top-four pick.

SOURCE: ESPN

Aug 8, 2019, 10:45 AM ET

The things that worry me about Kamara are unnecessary injury through:

(a) the highlight reel hurdles and getting drilled on the way down, or

(b) pulling up to quickly and being defenseless when he crosses the goal line

Otherwise nobody seems to get regular clean shots on him and if he produces like year 1 and year 2, then its all good.

The things that worry me about Kamara are unnecessary injury through:

(a) the highlight reel hurdles and getting drilled on the way down, or

(b) pulling up to quickly and being defenseless when he crosses the goal line

Otherwise nobody seems to get regular clean shots on him and if he produces like year 1 and year 2, then its all good.
This is exactly what worried me last year when faced with the draft choice of Kamara vs. David Johnson.

Needless to say I won't be making the same mistake again..

Jeff Duncan @JeffDuncan_

AK's workload will increase slightly from past years, primarily because of experience & the fact that Ingram is gone. Ingram was a Pro Bowler who needed touches to be effective. Plus, He's better than Murray. Kamara will get the call now in ALL key situations: red zone, 3rd down.

Jeff Duncan @JeffDuncan_

AK's workload will increase slightly from past years, primarily because of experience & the fact that Ingram is gone. Ingram was a Pro Bowler who needed touches to be effective. Plus, He's better than Murray. Kamara will get the call now in ALL key situations: red zone, 3rd down.
Omg omg omg my no salary cap dynasty RB just got more love? :wub:  

Penguin said:
Jeff Duncan @JeffDuncan_

Red Zone include Goal Line?

Jeff Duncan @JeffDuncan_

Red Zone include Goal Line?
Bump for more clarity on Goal Line carries. Ingram definitely was in the mix getting inside the 2 when activated. I'm sure we'll see Murray get his 6-7 TD's.

At a #1 pick in a 12 team I prefer watching Kamara and the Saints over the other big 3 RBs' teams.

#1 pick for me 2night... remember those first 4 games to start the season last year.... imagine that production for 16 games 

FWIW, speculation is that Sean Payton is hiding a Latavius Murray injury — Murray missed a practice last week and was scratched from the Jets game.

Probably nothing major, but with Payton you never know.

FWIW, speculation is that Sean Payton is hiding a Latavius Murray injury — Murray missed a practice last week and was scratched from the Jets game.

Probably nothing major, but with Payton you never know.
I’m not sure how they’re hiding anything or that it’s speculative. He has a red cross on CBS and it’s being reported as an “undisclosed injury” - which at this point in the season could easily be a veteran rest day. 

Your post is way too cryptic. There’s nothing nefarious I can see here - they’re reporting an injury, they just haven’t said what it was. 

I’m not sure how they’re hiding anything or that it’s speculative. He has a red cross on CBS and it’s being reported as an “undisclosed injury” - which at this point in the season could easily be a veteran rest day. 

Your post is way too cryptic. There’s nothing nefarious I can see here - they’re reporting an injury, they just haven’t said what it was. 
The fantasy sites have picked up on it, yes. But the severity is completely unknown right. Murray might play Week One ... or he might miss a month :shrug:  Payton’s not tipping his hand yet.

The fantasy sites have picked up on it, yes. But the severity is completely unknown right. Murray might play Week One ... or he might miss a month :shrug:  Payton’s not tipping his hand yet.
I find your language unnecessarily ominous.

its week 3 of the preseason. And a Monday, a day vets often have off. 

I would be none surprised at all to see him back at practice with little fanfare.

if there were an injury of note or significance, why would Payton hide it? That’s not really his MO.

I find your language unnecessarily ominous.

its week 3 of the preseason. And a Monday, a day vets often have off. 
I didn't mean that Murray missed practice yesterday ... I meant he missed last Thursday the 22nd:

August 26, 2019 04:20 PM
Saints' Latavius Murray: Sits out preseason tilt
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Murray (undisclosed) did not play in Saturday's preseason win over the Jets.

It remains to be seen what, if anything, is ailing Murray, but when healthy, he's in line to serve as a complementary option behind the Saints' top back, Alvin Kamara. It's a role that gives Murray modest fantasy utility out of the gate, but one that also puts him an injury away from relevance, given that Dwayne Washington and Jacquizz Rodgers aren't threats to his status as the team's No. 2 RB.

August 22, 2019 01:16 PM
Saints' Latavius Murray: Misses practice Thursday
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Murray (undisclosed) didn't practice Thursday, Herbie Teope of The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports.

Per the report, it's not clear why Murray was absent, but it's possible the running back is simply getting a veteran rest day. When healthy, Murray is in line to serve as a complementary option behind the Saints' top back, Alvin Kamara.
Admittedly, nothing concrete there.

It appears that Murray did practice yesterday in the sense that he did not appear on a "players that sat out" list. I don't know, though, if he was a full participant, or off to the side stretching/rehabbing, or what.

Upshot: Murray's situation bears monitoring since he did sit out preseason week 3. But I have to admit that right this second, there's no concrete, publicly-disclosed cause for concern with Murray.

Sean Payton absolutely has a rep for being cagey with injuries a la Bill Belichick. I spoke too strongly when saying "hiding" an injury, as though Payton was denying something -- he wasn't. Not sure he was ever asked anything point blank about Murray's availability vs. the Jets.

At the same time, Payton will not be especially forthcoming about injury specifics until weekly injury reports have to come out. During preseason, Payton likes to tell the assembled media things like "He has a leg" and "he has a shoulder" when describing preseason injuries. Those vague comments are local running jokes on sports radio.

It appears that Murray did practice yesterday in the sense that he did not appear on a "players that sat out" list. I don't know, though, if he was a full participant, or off to the side stretching/rehabbing, or what.

Upshot: Murray's situation bears monitoring since he did sit out preseason week 3. But I have to admit that right this second, there's no concrete, publicly-disclosed cause for concern with Murray.
OK ... Murray did participate fully in Saints practice yesterday. Yahoo, Rotowire, and CBS fantasy sites going overboard in declaring Murray "Questionable" for Week One. Why would those sites put that out there?

OK ... Murray did participate fully in Saints practice yesterday. Yahoo, Rotowire, and CBS fantasy sites going overboard in declaring Murray "Questionable" for Week One. Why would those sites put that out there?
I don’t get it. Are you a Kamara owner hoping for a Murray injury?

whole lot of reading between the lines here.

Murray practiced in full yesterday. 

/concern 

You’re being unnecessarily ominous here. And from what I recall, Payton releases injury reports when players are hurt. 

There are a ton of players sitting out - the season starts soon & the Lamar Miller injury seems to have woken up some coaches. 

Murray sounds to be healthy and ready for week one. Do not be surprised if he sits out the rest of the preseason contests for the Saints. Murray is currently ranked the 28th best running back according to FantasyPros' Expert Consensus Rankings.

The only one being cagey about any of this seems to be you. :lol:  

I don’t get it. Are you a Kamara owner hoping for a Murray injury?

whole lot of reading between the lines here.

Murray practiced in full yesterday. 

/concern 
Reading this OP on another board started my line of posts here. Yahoo Fantasy Sports sent the guy a notification that Murray was Questionable for Week One vs. Houston.

I assumed Yahoo was on the money before looking into it all that deeply. That's all. And since if that report were accurate it would affect Kamara's value, I thought it was worth posting in this thread. I jumped the gun ... didn't think the major fantasy sites whiffed that bad on injury news. Now I know.

Reading this OP on another board started my line of posts here. Yahoo Fantasy Sports sent the guy a notification that Murray was Questionable for Week One vs. Houston.

I assumed Yahoo was on the money before looking into it all that deeply. That's all. And since if that report were accurate it would affect Kamara's value, I thought it was worth posting in this thread. I jumped the gun ... didn't think the major fantasy sites whiffed that bad on injury news. Now I know.
Week 3 of the preseason, every single year. 

And remember - there’s no probable now. There’s only “questionable” or “doubtful” (or “out”)

so any missed time with any injury, disclosed or otherwise, will just be listed as “questionable” until a more specific update comes out. 

Always good to be on top of the news, but sometimes you can’t assume too much from a veteran player missing a preseason game or holding out of practice. 

Alvin Kamara rushed 13 times for 97 yards and caught 7-of-8 targets for 72 yards in the Saints' Week 1 win over the Texans Monday night.

The only thing missing was a touchdown. Kamara dominated backfield work pretty significantly, but Latavius Murray still had his role as a breather back while getting sprinkled in in the red zone. Murray capitalized with a 30-yard touchdown run, turning his eight touches into 47 yards. Kamara was dangerously close to breaking several of his big gains into even bigger ones and potential touchdowns. The elite RB1 gets a juicy date with the Rams in L.A. next week.

Sep 9, 2019, 10:51 PM ET

Alvin Kamara rushed 13 times for 45 yards and caught 1-of-3 targets for 15 yards in the Saints' Week 2 loss to the Rams.

Kamara was the victim of Drew Brees' early exit. When Teddy Bridgewater came in, the Saints were in comeback mode, and for whatever reason, that didn't result in easy dump-offs to Kamara. If Brees misses time, Kamara's floor and ceiling take a decent hit, but he is at least running well ahead of Latavius Murray, who only had six touches in Week 2. A road matchup against the Seahawks is up next and Kamara will be more of a low-end RB1 than an elite one if Brees is out.

Sep 15, 2019, 8:33 PM ET

Alvin Kamara rumbled to 69 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries while also supplying nine catches for 92 yards and a touchdown on 10 targets Sunday in the Saints’ Week 3 win over the Seahawks.

ProFootballFocus credited him with 12 missed tackles, a truly absurd number, even for a player of Kamara's elite caliber. A handful of those dodged tackles came on a weaving, 29-yard touchdown catch off a screen from Teddy Bridgewater. Kamara showed impeccable balance on the play, somehow staying inbounds on his way to the pylon. That marked Bridgewater's longest completion of the afternoon. It also spelled the end of Kamara's career-long five-game touchdown drought. Kamara later punched in a goal-line touchdown, which came one play after the third-year ball-carrier drew a pass interference call against Seattle linebacker K.J. Wright. Second among running backs in receiving yards (only Austin Ekeler has more), Kamara remains a fantasy Goliath, even with Bridgewater under center. His next assignment will come when the Saints host Dallas on Sunday Night Football in Week 4.

Sep 22, 2019, 7:53 PM ET

It's crazy.  It's like he always knows just exactly where he needs to be and just how to get there in order to make something happen.
I still marvel at his awareness of space and stop and start ability.

This is a weird example, but that receiving TD reminded me of it again when he slowed down and stopped immediately when he got in the EZ.  Like he knew from the moment that he caught that ball, exactly what spot he was going to need to be and the precise angle he needed to not get tackled and exactly how fast he needed to go to get there, without wasting an ounce of energy.  His body control and physical efficiency is seriously remarkable.

Alvin Kamara rushed 17 times for 69 yards and caught three passes for 20 yards in Week 4 against the Cowboys.

Kamara didn’t have any chunk plays, but he ran hard and kept the chains moving for a Saints offense that didn't score any touchdowns. He’s taken a step back with Teddy Bridgewater the last two weeks, getting held under 70 rushing yards in both games, but Kamara's pass game role has kept his floor high. Kamara is on pace for 1,437 total yards and six touchdowns through the first month of the season. He should see his red-zone chances increase down the stretch.

Sep 29, 2019, 11:34 PM ET

Let me preface by saying that other than maybe Wentz (I’m an Eagles fan) and Mahomes, there is no other player I enjoy watching more. Amazing skill set! But if I could go back in time, I’d never have drafted him over the other “Big 4” running backs. I’ve never seen a coach routinely take his best player off the field in critical situations and replace him with a stiff or stupid trick play. Earlier games this season Kamara would be split out while Murray was in the backfield. Last night there were numerous times he was on the sideline. I can’t stand Peyton. With the talent Brees has and the players the organization has had the last years, they should have had more success but Peyton constantly has to prove he’s smarter than anyone else. 17 carries was decent but it seems he should be way more involved in the passing game. The other backs in the top tier are unquestioned and get so much more total volume. Frustrating.

Let me preface by saying that other than maybe Wentz (I’m an Eagles fan) and Mahomes, there is no other player I enjoy watching more. Amazing skill set! But if I could go back in time, I’d never have drafted him over the other “Big 4” running backs. I’ve never seen a coach routinely take his best player off the field in critical situations and replace him with a stiff or stupid trick play. Earlier games this season Kamara would be split out while Murray was in the backfield. Last night there were numerous times he was on the sideline. I can’t stand Peyton. With the talent Brees has and the players the organization has had the last years, they should have had more success but Peyton constantly has to prove he’s smarter than anyone else. 17 carries was decent but it seems he should be way more involved in the passing game. The other backs in the top tier are unquestioned and get so much more total volume. Frustrating.
agree totally.

peyton is a great offensive mind but he overthinks things constantly.  Kamara touches the ball more last night and they have a much easier game.  its that simple.  instead he has to prove teddy bridgewater can chuck in around on SNF.  he almost got killed like 6 times.  but hey hes winning games i guess

I think the problem is Teddy can't read the defense properly.  Where Drew would hit Alvin in the flat, Teddy is locked downfield waiting too long for plays to develop.  You could see Kamara get frustrated several times last night.

Kamara is as elite a talent as there is in the league offensively.  Unfortunately, that will not help us this year in fantasy until Brees comes back (and can actually play).

He's an RB2 with Bridgewater at QB.

I think the problem is Teddy can't read the defense properly.  Where Drew would hit Alvin in the flat, Teddy is locked downfield waiting too long for plays to develop.  You could see Kamara get frustrated several times last night.

Kamara is as elite a talent as there is in the league offensively.  Unfortunately, that will not help us this year in fantasy until Brees comes back (and can actually play).

He's an RB2 with Bridgewater at QB.
But even with Brees under center, if I could go back in time I’d move Kamara to 4th overall. I actually got the first pick twice in redraft and took him once because I just love his ceiling and I took Barkley the other time. Hands down I’d take CMC and Elliot over him. I also have him in a one keep keeper league and will really have to ponder keeping Chubb over him next year. It’s also non-PPR so that hurts Kamara even more. It just seems that several times a year Peyton just gets away from him in ways the other elite backs never have that happen to them. Wether it’s idiotic plays like that fumble by the punt returner last year in that game they blew against Carolina or the use of Hill, Kamara routinely gets short changed. 

agree totally.

peyton is a great offensive mind but he overthinks things constantly.  Kamara touches the ball more last night and they have a much easier game.  its that simple.  instead he has to prove teddy bridgewater can chuck in around on SNF.  he almost got killed like 6 times.  but hey hes winning games i guess
I agree...sort of.

The frequency of trick plays needs to be modulated downward based on limitations of Murray and Hill.  If this were Cohen and Vick then the level of trickeration we see would be justified but clearly these two are being over-used / there should be a higher priority on feeding Alvin (see CMC) and stretching the field (trading for better receivers if needed).

Alvin Kamara rushed 16 times for 62 yards in the Saints' Week 5 win over the Bucs, adding six receptions for 42 additional yards.

It was a quiet day for Kamara as Teddy Brigewater finally got the Saints' down-field passing game working. Kamara had a missed connection that resulted in a Bridgewater pick. The quarterback targeted his running back in too tight of quarters, and the ball popped up into the air for an INT. As Christian McCaffrey showed on Sunday, the Jaguars won't be a stay-away matchup for superstar-back Kamara in Week 6.

Injuries in practice are almost always bad. I'll be sweating for the next 24 hours until the report comes out tomorrow. Scoop Murray? 
I'd say yes especially with a pretty good rushing matchup this week. 

Speaking of, is there a weekly thread of some kind with major updates? The weekly injury thread sometimes only seems to be active on game day. But is there a central thread for each week with updates on Kamara, Gurley, DJ, etc., so we can stay on top of it and contribute?

Users who are viewing this thread