Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
cosjobs

***Official*** Houston Astros 2018 thread / repeat?

Recommended Posts

Previous thread has not been bumped this season, even with the stros leading all baseball in Wins.

The starting pitching staff has outperformed all expectations thus far and the relief corps are as good as any. I doubt the starters stay on this level, but would not be the least bit surprised to see a mid-season to deadline deal for a SP  stud or two, unless Devenski and/or Peacock can stretch out and keep their effectiveness. I think there is plenty of relief depth in the system, The ease with which Keuchel has returned to 2015 form makes me think he's for real. McCullers is just nasty. Musgrove is still a bit erratic (last outing gives up 4 runs in the first, then no-hits the next 18 batters). Fiers and Morton are serviceable with the relief corps and battery behind them.

The bats are making the lineup relentless to opposing pitchers. The only weak spots are Marwin Gonzalez (who doesn't play much) and Reddick and Aoki's ineptitude vs. LHP. But with the depth and breadth of the roster, they seldom play against a lefthander.

Edited by cosjobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantasy sleepers

With Marisnick crashing into the wall yesterday and Springer tweaking his hammy, They really don't want Beltran of Gattis spending much time out there and Aoki and Reddick cannot hit lefties, so I could see them calling up Teoscar Hernandez in the near future. TH has a .358 OBP with 4 HRs, 3 Triples and 3 SBs through 16 games in AAA after a slow start. Tony Kemp is also a possiblility, but while his defense is good, I'd rate a pretty good defensive advantage to Teoscar and defense is what will most be needed, should Marisnick or Springer go down for 10 days.

Edited by cosjobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

Gurriel got off to a slow start but has really turned it up the past couple of weeks. 

Best hair in baseball

 

At some point the internet will catch up with this. The above was the only pic on google with a hair shot.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2017 at 3:13 PM, cosjobs said:

Fantasy sleepers

With Marisnick crashing into the wall yesterday and Springer tweaking his hammy, They really don't want Beltran of Gattis spending much time out there and Aoki and Reddick cannot hit lefties, so I could see them calling up Teoscar Hernandez in the near future. TH has a .358 OBP with 4 HRs, 3 Triples and 3 SBs through 16 games in AAA after a slow start. Tony Kemp is also a possiblility, but while his defense is good, I'd rate a pretty good defensive advantage to Teoscar and defense is what will most be needed, should Marisnick or Springer go down for 10 days.

SO they call up Teo and he bashes his knee into Altuve's head. His knee looks to have taken the worst of it and he's likely headed to the DL.I'd like to see them call up Derek Fisher, but he's not on the 40 man roster, so I expect to see Preston Tucker instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think these guys may be up to something.

Off season pickups of Reddick, McCann, Beltran, Aoki and Morton looking shrewd. Really great veteran presence, seemingly satisfied starting 3-5x a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Encyclopedia Brown said:

He cooled off in the month of May, so hopefully tonight gets him going again. 

That's the thing tho, They're so freaking deep offensively that 3-4 guys can be in the doldrums at any time and they can still put up 5-6 runs a game.  Bregman has been sucky all season, but I'm pretty sure he'll come around. Yuli started the first few weeks for ####, but then started getting it together. He's a seasoned vet and I'm more worried about Bregman than him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best record in baseball! Nice!

 

Edited by NREC34

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And after a four game losing streak, still the best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 23, 2017 at 8:07 PM, cosjobs said:

And after a four game losing streak, still the best.

I think we need a thread title update. 

Best record in baseball...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting rotation has a 3.45 ERA, which is stellar in comparison to other AL teams. Is Peacock being considered to replace Morton?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, monessen said:

Starting rotation has a 3.45 ERA, which is stellar in comparison to other AL teams. Is Peacock being considered to replace Morton?

Fiers I hope. Morton on the DL, but I'm thinking/hoping on a 10 day stint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you do when you're down 8-2 in the 8th?

Score 11

I love this team

Edited by cosjobs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team record for runs in an inning is 12. 

Set vs. Philadelphia 5/31/75

Just looked it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far this season: three wins from five run deficit; one win from a six run deficit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:23 PM, Encyclopedia Brown said:

It's scary to think that this team could have had Kris Bryant standing alongside Carlos Correa. 

And J.D. Martinez too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Astros are on Fox tonight and I can get it.

Going to watch my first game probably since the 2005 World Series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#### it had to end sometime I guess.

Good job on 11 straight Stros 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome J.B. Bukauskas. 

Sounds like we snagged a pretty good RHP in the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few weeks ago I was thinking we weren't going to need to trade for pitching depth.. Oops

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting to watch my second game of the year. 

Red Sox and Astros are wearing blue uniforms. Very odd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the see my third game of the year on tv last night (well acrually this morning on dvr, was in no condition to be able to watch anything last night). 

I must be good luck. I'm 3-0. That game was looking like a loss though. Glad they pulled it out. 

Can't wait til they get all their pitchers back. Should be unstoppable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 2, 2017 at 1:22 PM, NREC34 said:

Got the see my third game of the year on tv last night (well acrually this morning on dvr, was in no condition to be able to watch anything last night). 

I must be good luck. I'm 3-0. That game was looking like a loss though. Glad they pulled it out. 

Can't wait til they get all their pitchers back. Should be unstoppable. 

X2

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2017 at 11:57 PM, NREC34 said:

Correa injured. Not good. 

It will be fine. Resting him up for the playoffs, just like Keuchel and McCullers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cosjobs said:

It will be fine. Resting him up for the playoffs, just like Keuchel and McCullers

Are they going to make a trade before the deadline?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Are they going to make a trade before the deadline?

The only two starters I am interested in are Gray and Darvish, but I am dubious about trading any of our prospects to play for divisional opponents.

We really need some LH bullpen help, but we should not need to give up any top 5-10 prospect talent for that

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

The only two starters I am interested in are Gray and Darvish, but I am dubious about trading any of our prospects to play for divisional opponents.

We really need some LH bullpen help, but we should not need to give up any top 5-10 prospect talent for that

Yeah I don't know baseball players anywhere near like I used to and have no clue who they are. 

I looked up Darvish to see who he was. Don't see the Rangers doing anything that would help the Astros. Those 2 teams don't have a lot of love for each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Yeah I don't know baseball players anywhere near like I used to and have no clue who they are. 

I looked up Darvish to see who he was. Don't see the Rangers doing anything that would help the Astros. Those 2 teams don't have a lot of love for each other. 

The big deal on our side is we get darvish for two months and they'd want at last two studs from us, who could haunt us for a decade

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NREC34 said:

We got Verlander!

Hope he's got some gas left in the tank for the playoffs. 

He's been great lately. And one of the great things about JV is that he's a horse. 120 pitches every outing. 

You're going to love him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, whoknew said:

He's been great lately. And one of the great things about JV is that he's a horse. 120 pitches every outing. 

You're going to love him. 

Downside is I think of JonMX every time I think of him ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear OP -

Please update thread title to 2nd best record in the AL.

Sincerely,

Cleveland.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cosjobs said:

I want the Yankees at home, but I'll take what we get

We might actually get a prime time game too if it's the Yankees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NREC34 said:

We might actually get a prime time game too if it's the Yankees. 

I'll be at the game Friday night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.