What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gareon Conley Accused of Rape (1 Viewer)

That didn't take long. DNA test will be the key.

Last edited:
Hope they can prove the allegations one way or another as soon as possible.  If he did it, he deserves jail time.  

The story is pretty weird though.  He asked her to be in a foursome, and she said no, but she'll watch. And goes back to a stranger's hotel room that she met at 3AM?

:shrug: he DENIES the allegations. 

Seriously.  WTF?  In all caps? 

Hate to say it but he's sunk even if innocent.  Maybe he gets drafted but sure not in the first now. 

And frankly, most people will presume guilt.  With fair reason unless you're into conspiracy theories.  And really what would she, or anyone, gain here? 

So at 3 am she goes to a dude's room, agree's to watch other people have sex ..... I think she lost her dignity WAY before anything might or might not have happened.

Witnesses says he's innocent - that's not good for her. 

Lessons to be learned - don't go to football players rooms at 3 am, don't agree to watch others have sex, don't wait until the dude's getting in on wicha to say stop it hurts ...... there are holes holes holes in this story IMO from what we're reading

According to the report, the accuser says she met Conley in a hotel elevator around 3AM and brought her back to his hotel room. She claims Conley asked her to have a foursome with another friend of his and a woman. The accuser says she declined and offered to watch the other couple have sex in the hotel room bathroom instead.

A short time later, the woman says Conley unbuttoned her pants and began to have sex with her. She claims she said, "No, stop, it hurts!" but he kept going until he finished. She says Conley then kicked her out of the hotel room.

The woman called 911 and described her assailant as a "black male who wouldn't take his sunglasses off and had an Ohio State tattoo on his left forearm."

The woman says she went to a local hospital where a rape kit was administered.

An officer tried to speak with the accuser at the hospital but she refused to do an interview. Instead, she told the cop she wanted to go home and "that her dignity was stripped from her in a matter of minutes." She refused to speak to cops after that.

As for Conley, two of his friends who were in the hotel room were interviewed by police and told cops Conley never hooked up with the woman and that she was just mad that she got kicked out of the room.

But according to a police report filed in Cleveland, and obtained by TMZ Sports, a 23-year-old white female told police Conley violated her in a hotel suite bathroom at a Westin hotel on April 9.

According to the report, the accuser says she met Conley in a hotel elevator around 3AM and brought her back to his hotel room. She claims Conley asked her to have a foursome with another friend of his and a woman. The accuser says she declined and offered to watch the other couple have sex in the hotel room bathroom instead.

A short time later, the woman says Conley unbuttoned her pants and began to have sex with her. She claims she said, "No, stop, it hurts!" but he kept going until he finished. She says Conley then kicked her out of the hotel room.

The woman called 911 and described her assailant as a "black male who wouldn't take his sunglasses off and had an Ohio State tattoo on his left forearm."

The woman says she went to a local hospital where a rape kit was administered.
If that bolded isnt from the cry rape handbook. Color me skeptical. What about the people who were around? She is fine with watching others have sex with a guy she just met? He raped her then kicked her out with other around? She just met him and will watch sex huh? I'm against sexual assault in any way, but I am skeptical if any sexual assault took place and that this isnt just a money grab. Her story from the report doesnt pass the smell test.  I look at each story on a case by case basis, this one stinks. 

:shrug: he DENIES the allegations. 

Seriously.  WTF?  In all caps? 

Hate to say it but he's sunk even if innocent.  Maybe he gets drafted but sure not in the first now. 

And frankly, most people will presume guilt.  With fair reason unless you're into conspiracy theories.  And really what would she, or anyone, gain here
Seriously?  The thought that she's looking for a fist full of money isn't in play at all?

Seriously?  The thought that she's looking for a fist full of money isn't in play at all?
By accusing the guy before the draft?  She would have been better off waiting until after he signs the contract. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If that bolded isnt from the cry rape handbook. Color me skeptical. What about the people who were around? She is fine with watching others have sex with a guy she just met? He raped her then kicked her out with other around? She just met him and will watch sex huh? I'm against sexual assault in any way, but I am skeptical if any sexual assault took place and that this isnt just a money grab. Her story from the report doesnt pass the smell test.  I look at each story on a case by case basis, this one stinks. 
She's not very smart if that's the case, either. He said/she said works a whole lot better when there wasn't a room full of witnesses who will claim you're lying.

She's not very smart if that's the case, either. He said/she said works a whole lot better when there wasn't a room full of witnesses who will claim you're lying.
They claim she just got mad when Conley kicked her out of the room. She might not have thought things through (if the story is false).

Sure. Especially when the witnesses are his friends. 

She's either stupid or a victim.  Or both. 

By accusing the guy before the draft?  She would have been better off waiting until after he signs the contract. 
Eli Apple signed a 4 year, $15,152,320 contract with the New York Giants, including a $9,219,869 signing bonus, $15,152,320 guaranteed as the #10 pick overall.

Kenyan Drake signed a 4 year, $3,381,260 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including a $821,260 signing bonus, $821,260 guaranteed as the #10 pick in the 3rd round.

Eli Apple signed a 4 year, $15,152,320 contract with the New York Giants, including a $9,219,869 signing bonus, $15,152,320 guaranteed as the #10 pick overall.

Kenyan Drake signed a 4 year, $3,381,260 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including a $821,260 signing bonus, $821,260 guaranteed as the #10 pick in the 3rd round.
I am completely missing your point.  What would she gain by falsely accusing Conley?

Because he has 12 million reasons to get her to get in front of a TV camera and recant.  You don't think his agent would have a check for $200k in 20 minutes if she agreed to read his script on air?

His clock is ticking and he has no time to negotiate.  in 48 hours he stats losing money by the million.  Laremy Tunsil lost $5M last year and that was getting drafted at 13.  If this if false he needs to get it put down now. 

Because he has 12 million reasons to get her to get in front of a TV camera and recant.  You don't think his agent would have a check for $200k in 20 minutes if she agreed to read his script on air?
ok, so your theory is she's falsely accusing him now with the intent of recanting on national TV for $200k.  Interesting.

ok, so your theory is she's falsely accusing him now with the intent of recanting on national TV for $200k.  Interesting.
No, that's not my theory, don't put words in my mouth.  That's a plausible response to your question " And really what would she, or anyone, gain here?  "

As a GM, it wouldn't matter to me at this point if he did it or not.

This close to the draft, knowing what's at stake, to even find himself in a situation where this is plausible would make me consider someone else. 

If I were a agent,  I'd put my clients in protective custody. Possibly solitary confinement. 

No, that's not my theory, don't put words in my mouth.  That's a plausible response to your question " And really what would she, or anyone, gain here?  "
ok. we'll have to disagree as to whether that's really plausible. If she were smart and wanted to extort money, we'd probably never hear about it and it sure wouldn't have happened now. 

I hate to say this but if she is lying it could be to put pressure on him to pay her off as soon as possible so it doesn't hurt his draft stock too much.  If it was after the draft he may feel the need to fight the accusations more since he already got paid.  It feels wrong thinking of it this way but this is the world we live in and someone is always trying to take advantage of someone else.

This also sounds bad but I almost hope the story is true because these fake accusations only hurt women who really have been raped or abused.  Some wonder why women don't come forward right away and it's because of situations like this could be.

She went to his room at 3am to "watch" a foursome?!?!

Yeah.  Riiiiigggghhhhtttt.  :rolleyes:

Reuben Foster AND Jabril Peppers are more likely to be telling the truth than her.

1. If this was a money grab, wouldn't she wait until after he's drafted rather than destroying his chances of getting rich? You know, if she's a calculating liar who just wants a payday.

2. A lot of the comments in here are exactly what people mean when they use the phrase "rape culture". Jesus, guys.

1. If this was a money grab, wouldn't she wait until after he's drafted rather than destroying his chances of getting rich? You know, if she's a calculating liar who just wants a payday.

2. A lot of the comments in here are exactly what people mean when they use the phrase "rape culture". Jesus, guys.
To answer your first point, if it's a money grab the reason for doing it now could be to put added pressure on him to pay her right away before the draft.  His stock would drop some but if he still went in the second round she could make a few hundred thousand very quick.

If she waited until after the draft then it wouldn't have affected his draft stock in which case he would feel pressured to pay her off and may actually try to prove his innocence.  Since he'd be on a team and getting paid the pressure wouldn't be as big.

Just some theories if it were a money grab scheme.

I have no dog in the fight, but if this is her story, it smells very, very fishy.

She went to his room at 3am to "watch" a foursome?!?!

Yeah.  Riiiiigggghhhhtttt.  :rolleyes:

Reuben Foster AND Jabril Peppers are more likely to be telling the truth than her.
:lol:

I'm not exactly sure what to believe here. Her story sounds real odd. Campus wide rape/sexual assault allegations are kind of out of control. Some of the times girl is drunk, cheats on boyfriend, does something she's ashamed of, or guy blows her off... so she declares rape as payback or to restore some shred of dignity. It's not something we should be teaching our daughters. 
1. If you can help it, don't get in those situations to begin with; don't go to a room at 3 AM to watch a foursome. Walk home with friends. Never put your drink down. Etc.
2. Ruining someone's life because you have an ax to grind or are ashamed... that's a no-no. Actions have consequences and if you choose to do something you must live with it.

Now with regard to this situation...,. her story is weird. Witnesses support Conley. So close to the draft it just screams looking for money. Have to believe he's guilty here unless there's some kind of evidence or witnesses that would support otherwise. So quickly people tend to side with the woman in these cases. And yes I do sympathize deeply with any woman who is a victim of sexual assault, but given the number of false allegations that go around (my wife see's plenty in her line of work), and the timing, it's hard to completely trust her at her word

Rolling Stone rape story didn't sound/feel right the second it came out.....this doesn't sound/feel right. 
Honestly, I've heard way too many of these stories after being a prosecutor and supervising prosectors for much of the past decade.  Most of these stories don't make sense to people who usually act rationally. 

The only thing I'd say with any real confidence is two (arguably 4) people made some really bad decisions. 

:lol:

I'm not exactly sure what to believe here. Her story sounds real odd. Campus wide rape/sexual assault allegations are kind of out of control. Some of the times girl is drunk, cheats on boyfriend, does something she's ashamed of, or guy blows her off... so she declares rape as payback or to restore some shred of dignity. It's not something we should be teaching our daughters. 
1. If you can help it, don't get in those situations to begin with; don't go to a room at 3 AM to watch a foursome. Walk home with friends. Never put your drink down. Etc.
2. Ruining someone's life because you have an ax to grind or are ashamed... that's a no-no. Actions have consequences and if you choose to do something you must live with it.

Now with regard to this situation...,. her story is weird. Witnesses support Conley. So close to the draft it just screams looking for money. Have to believe he's innocent here unless there's some kind of evidence or witnesses that would support otherwise. So quickly people tend to side with the woman in these cases. And yes I do sympathize deeply with any woman who is a victim of sexual assault, but given the number of false allegations that go around (my wife see's plenty in her line of work), and the timing, it's hard to completely trust her at her word
Considering the only witnesses so far are his friends, I'm not believing any of them.  The rape kit is (obviously) key.  At least from what I've seen, most women don't get that done unless there's been sex. 

That he and his friends deny any sex could be a big mistake for him. 

ok. we'll have to disagree as to whether that's really plausible. If she were smart and wanted to extort money, we'd probably never hear about it and it sure wouldn't have happened now. 
 Are you arguing just to argue or something? 

motive - opportunity knocks

having sex with a potential high draft pick = big bucks by simply threatening a sexual assault case .......... stupid players haven't figured that out yet baffles me

Considering the only witnesses so far are his friends, I'm not believing any of them.  The rape kit is (obviously) key.  At least from what I've seen, most women don't get that done unless there's been sex. 

:goodposting:

Denying sex and there being a rape kit makes this pretty much cut and dry. 

• His DNA is found... she suddenly seems VERY believable and he's in deep ####. 
• His DNA is not found... she suddenly seems like a liar and her story goes down in flames.

The fact that he's canceling appearances is not a good sign, IMO. Pure speculation, though. 

Legitimate points. Yes, the rape kit is key

Denying sex and there being a rape kit makes this pretty much cut and dry. 

• His DNA is found... she suddenly seems VERY believable and he's in deep ####. 
• His DNA is not found... she suddenly seems like a liar and her story goes down in flames.

The fact that he's canceling appearances is not a good sign, IMO. Pure speculation, though. 
Yep. If he denies even having sex with her, and it's clear he did, then he is a liar and what can you believe otherwise? If he did have sex with her and it was consensual, then the rape kit would be worthless because it doesn't prove anything.

If there's only spermicide, like from the presence of a condom, it'd be hard to prove that it was Conley who was wearing the condom unless other DNA was present in that area, which from what I understand is tested for in a rape kit

Crazy that the rape kit isn't in at this point. I guess I will hold my judgements until then because, yes that tells all. Interestingly from SI.com: 

According to the report, police attempted to interview the woman at the hospital, where a rape kit was administered, but she declined and “just kept saying she wanted to go home and that her dignity was stripped from her in a matter of minutes.”
Kind of seems odd IMO. I get it, if this happened she was in a heavy "shock" state, but you'd think she'd really want to nail this guy, no pun intended. Again, I'm a little skeptical because some jersey chasers will go to extreme lengths to get attention.

Her story doesn't sound all that ludicrous to me. 
Not fighting back, just letting him unzip her pants? No report of him holding her down or restraining her. Just sitting there, oh you're unzipping my pants ok I'll just lay here and say no and do nothing else? Just seems odd. 

Interestingly, we may never know the results of the rape kit. Depends on multiple factors

Are all SAKs tested?

No. While there are a few cities and states that automatically test all sexual assault kits, in general, SAKs are not tested unless specifically requested by a law enforcement agency for a criminal investigation. There are a variety of reasons that a kit might not be tested including:

• A decision by law enforcement due to a variety of reasons—such as not prioritizing sexual assault cases or a perceived lack of victim credibility or cooperation—not to further investigate the case.

• A decision by law enforcement that the results of the kit would not be significant to the investigation. This occurs most often when the suspect does not deny physical contact, but instead claims the contact was consensual.

• Backlogged crime labs. Due to resource issues, some crime labs may take up to a year or longer to test a SAK.

• Lack of funding for DNA analysis. Some law enforcement jurisdictions, including crime laboratories, are underfunded and may be unable to test every SAK.

How long does it take to test a SAK once it is at the crime lab?

The amount of time needed to process a SAK varies widely by jurisdiction. Processing a SAK is a multi-step process that includes screening for biological material, extracting DNA from stains or swabs, analyzing the DNA, producing a written report, and reviewing the entire process for errors. Each step is conducted systematically in an effort to avoid mistakes. It is possible for a very high-priority case (e.g., a current serial rapist or sexual homicide case) to be processed in as little as 2-5 days, however, 3-6 months is a more typical testing time. Unfortunately, some crime labs may take up to a year or longer to test a SAK. This delay or “backlog” can often be a result of funding constraints, which limit a lab’s ability to maintain adequate staffing, purchase updated or more modern equipment, and keep pace with testing requests. Labs may triage cases and at times are asked to prioritize high profile or urgent cases, or cases with court dates, which pushes some SAKs further down the line for testing

You'd think it'd be done quickly, but if she is not cooperating or not credible they may just say forget it. It's been 2 weeks since the alleged attack, and he is a high profile athlete standing to make a big pay day a few weeks after this alleged event. You'd think they'd be pushing it up. If true... man these kids are just stupid. If false... these women chasing these kids are just stupid.

Moral of the story, nothing good happens after 2 AM. ESPECIALLY in the athletes' dorm/hotel room

Are you commenting just to comment or something? 

Lol. To be honest I had more in my post but edited the rudeness out after I realized you changed your avatar and the poster was you. 

I just can't figure out why you can't wrap your head around the idea that a woman would falsely accuse somebody of a crime with the intention to blackmail them for money. 

Lol. To be honest I had more in my post but edited the rudeness out after I realized you changed your avatar and the poster was you. 

I just can't figure out why you can't wrap your head around the idea that a woman would falsely accuse somebody of a crime with the intention to blackmail them for money. 
Because that's not the case.  The timing is off for this to be just a woman trying to make money, assuming she's at all intelligent.  

Because that's not the case.  The timing is off for this to be just a woman trying to make money, assuming she's at all intelligent.  
Yeah, this is true. She went right to police apparently. It's not like this came out today and it happened 3 months ago. The complaint has credibility. 

Yes, there are a lot of women who would do something like what Steadmobbin is suggesting. That's why I initially have skepticism, but this could very well be a case of rape just as much as it is likely nothing happened. Rape kit is key

Now is the best time.  You made a better point earlier when you suggested she might be smarter to do it quietly, but now she's in the driver's seat.  She is the only one that can fix this in time for it to matter to any degree.  If she comes out today and says "I regret that I let my emotions take over blah blah blah" that is all some GM's will need to hear to plug him right back in their draft board.   Heck it doesn't even have to be a lie.  Maybe he did assault her, or she at least has a believable case - in that case he's got even more reason to get her to "recant" via a settlement offer.

Although I do wonder how many women (or dudes) try to get paid off before "reporting" rape or assault, and we never hear about them. 

Not fighting back, just letting him unzip her pants? No report of him holding her down or restraining her. Just sitting there, oh you're unzipping my pants ok I'll just lay here and say no and do nothing else? Just seems odd. 
This happens all the time and doesn't change whether it's rape or not. There's a reason consent is considered a verbal positive, not the absence of a verbal negative (although she says she gave that) or any type of fighting back. 

People go into shock, they don't known what to do, they feel physically threatened and just lay there, they "allow" it to happen because they fear it might be worse for them if they fight, and many, many other reasons. 

The absence of physical resistance has absolutely nothing to do with whether it was rape or not and that's part of the education our society's young men need to be receiving. This type of talk is also part of what people call "rape culture". Just a general misunderstanding of what rape is or can be, and how people "should" respond in a situation you can't place yourself in. Also projecting what you think you'd do as a victim, which probably doesn't apply to an actual victim's mindset in the moment.

Rape is not always violent, it's just not consensual. Different people (usually women in this context) deal with what's happening in the moment in their own way and there isn't always a "fight".

Now is the best time.  You made a better point earlier when you suggested she might be smarter to do it quietly, but now she's in the driver's seat.  She is the only one that can fix this in time for it to matter to any degree.  If she comes out today and says "I regret that I let my emotions take over blah blah blah" that is all some GM's will need to hear to plug him right back in their draft board.   Heck it doesn't even have to be a lie.  Maybe he did assault her, or she at least has a believable case - in that case he's got even more reason to get her to "recant" via a settlement offer.
Time will tell I guess but I'm not buying that logic here. 

She claimed she met Conley in an elevator around 3 a.m., that they went to his hotel room and that he propositioned her for group sex with his friend and another woman, which she declined. She accused Conley of forcibly having sex with her shortly after watching the other couple have sex.

The alleged victim called police at 3:50 a.m., according to the police report.

If that bolded isnt from the cry rape handbook. 
It's also straight out of the actual rape handbook. 

Lots of ignorance in this thread.

Note: I'm not saying she is not lying, or saying I definitively believe one side of the story or the other.

But lots of the comments in this thread are coming from dudes perpetuating rape culture and just overall being super ignorant about what rape is or isn't, how it happens, how people react to it, etc. 

That in itself is harmful because it illustrates that we still have entire generations of dudes in the dark about this, which means they aren't doing their duties as parents to raise the next generation of dudes to understand. People are still just as worried about what situations people put themselves in, as if it has any bearing whatsoever on their right to consent. Yes, people can make decisions that put themselves in danger. Yes, you should teach your daughters not to do that. No, it has no bearing on whether something is considered sexual assault or not. But people use it as a qualifier like it does. The old "yeah but did you see what she was wearing, and what neighborhood she was in? She was asking for it" bull####. Did you see what situation she put herself in? She MUST have wanted to consent to having sex if she was in the room where that was happening. It's faulty logic and its dangerous thinking. Educate yourselves and educate your sons. 

There's a strong chance there was the use of drugs/alcohol which influenced her decision to "go watch" so I don't think we should be so quick to just judge this as a money grab or whatever else it could be characterized as. We don't know what happened and at this point, it's bad either way.

My personal opinion which could be wrong, is that like many things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  I kind of doubt she would get a kit if there was no intercourse at all.  I also don't think she went up to the room knowing who he was, with the intent of making this a money grab and calling rape.  They likely were all drunk, she was into it at the time, probably was okay with him starting things with her, and THEN the undisclosed happened.  This could be anything from a lightbulb going off in her head that she could get money, to her changing her mind and saying 'no it hurts' really quietly right before he's finished and then saying she was raped, or maybe she was actually hurting and wanted him to stop in which case she has that right and he needs to stop ASAP which it sounds like he didn't. 

Details are pretty fuzzy here and I hope for his case it wasn't anything but I feel like him lying about there being no sex at all is probably a very very bad thing for him if anything had happened. 

When will the proof of sex/no sex come out?  I take it not before the draft?

Users who are viewing this thread