What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on used Audi (1 Viewer)

pmedina

Footballguy
We test drove a 2013 Audi Q5 that had 48,000 miles.  The car seems to handle and drive well, but I'm worried about long-term reliability.  It was on an Audi lot and they said they could add a new warranty (5/60) that is backed by Audi (not 3rd party).  Price $27,000, thoughts?  Anything to look for?

Alternatives include the new CRV, Rav-4, or Forrester that would all be about the same price  

I'm not sure on the price but the finish and styling of the Audi will be nicer than the other options. I have a 2009 and it has been a good car with few problems outside of general maintenance. 

Same concerns as you have. Love the brand but you can spend five figures on repairs without getting a new tranny or engine. 12000 miles  is nice but you'll probably burn through that in less than a year. But it's such a huge upgrade, I'd look for a certified used that had 20_30k left on a bumper to bumper and pay the extra bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess the 2017-2018 models of the other cars you are interested in would have more tech/safety/utility than a 2013 Audi.  Plus there are the repair costs. 

Hyundai Santa Fe. New. About the same price, 10 year / 100k warranty, roomier than the Audi.

I just bought a 2016 Santa Fe last month. Happy with it so far.

Since you mentioned the Subaru Forester, I'll also recommend looking for  a Forester XT. basically the same turbo engine as the WRX. Tons of fun to drive.

Had an Audi.   Loved it when it ran.   It died a horrible death and was a sinkhole of money.    Would never own another one, unless it was under warranty.   

They haven't made these for a while, have they?    I may be very wrong. 
:shrug: Honestly I'm not sure. I've been driving a 2002 WRX for 13 years and until it died last month i haven't paid attention to what's out there. 

ETA: Just checked Subaru website. Forester XT is still available new. It has a 2.0 liter turbo. WRX has 2.5 liter, so it's not quite the same engine.

:shrug: Honestly I'm not sure. I've been driving a 2002 WRX for 13 years and until it died last month i haven't paid attention to what's out there. 
The XT I'm thinking of was Boxy and had the hood scoop.   Looks like 06 or 07 was the last year for those.  They still sell an XT but it's no different bodywise from the "normal" Forester and it's a CVT   :X

I would lean towards the CRV or Rav4.  Yeah, they are a little more boring but a lot more reliable and lower maintenance.

The XT I'm thinking of was Boxy and had the hood scoop.   Looks like 06 or 07 was the last year for those.  They still sell an XT but it's no different bodywise from the "normal" Forester and it's a CVT   :X
No different other than the lovely turbocharged Subaru boxer engine. That makes a hell of a difference. 

ETA : Having driven a WRX for years,I'm biased.

Had an Audi.   Loved it when it ran.   It died a horrible death and was a sinkhole of money.    Would never own another one, unless it was under warranty.   
I would be adding a 4 year/50.000 mile warranty. They said they can certifity, but hat only adds a bit over 2 years (7 years from original in service date). 

Same concerns as you have. Love the brand but you can spend five figures on repairs without getting a new tranny or engine. 12000 miles  is nice but you'll probably burn through that in less than a year. But it's such a huge upgrade, I'd look for a certified used that had 20_30k left on a bumper to bumper and pay the extra bucks.
This is about as much as I want to spend. To get a certified model it would likely be a 2015 with a price if close to 33 or more. 

Full disclosure, this car is for my daughter. I'd like to get her something that will get her through college without too many worries. The added warranty will get her 5 years, but I don't want it in the shop the whole time. 

Full disclosure, this car is for my daughter. I'd like to get her something that will get her through college without too many worries. The added warranty will get her 5 years, but I don't want it in the shop the whole time. 
Then I think the Rav4 is a much wiser choice.

Honda is my choice. Audi just seemed like a good price with a ton of options for the same price as CRV.

CRV should get her though college and Med/Grad school with little problem.  

Thanks all!

Im confused, sorry. So the car has 48,000 miles already. Does the warranty run out at 60,000 miles or are they adding an additional 60,000 miles so it runs out at 108,000 miles?
They are adding the 60,000 miles to equal the 107,000 total. It's basically a new warranty from Audi in a used car. I looked online it appears this is possible with Audi. Cost is about $3,000. They way I look at it you are basically getting the extended warranty as you would've if you bought the car new and added at that time. 

I drive a 2 year old A6 - never a problem but I don't drive much.  

The one warning I'd pass along is that the services that are "required" to keep the warranty in tact get very expensive starting at 25K miles and beyond.  Make sure you get a clear breakdown of those that are required. 

Love my Audi though but I'd keep an eye out for the services.

As far as used luxury cars, certified Lexus are hard to beat. I got 2 years unlimited miles from purchase and the next three services are free.

Bought my 2012 A6 3.0t about a year ago with 40k on it.  I drive a ton for work and just passed 70k.  Car has been rock solid.  Love it so far.  

No different other than the lovely turbocharged Subaru boxer engine. That makes a hell of a difference. 

ETA : Having driven a WRX for years,I'm biased.
Yes, I meant no difference visually/exterior --  the absence of the hood scoop which  made the prev-gen XT stand out. 

And yes, that is an awesome engine. 

Honda is my choice. Audi just seemed like a good price with a ton of options for the same price as CRV.

CRV should get her though college and Med/Grad school with little problem.  

Thanks all!
Wise decision imo. If treated right, it will last her through grad school and well beyond.

I was looking at one of these a while back - a 2007 with 107k, manual transmission, exactly what I wanted. But the guy is asking almost 2X kbb valuation.  I just checked and its still on Craigslist at the same price with the comment, "Don't waste your time or mine with a stupid offer. I know what this is and how rare it is."

Users who are viewing this thread