What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D'Onta Foreman, CLE (4 Viewers)

Biabreakable

Footballguy
OVERVIEW

D'Onta and his twin brother, Armanti, were co-Most Valuable Players of District 24-4A while playing at Texas City High School. Both signed with Texas, with Armanti being the more prized recruit. D'Onta was the one exploding as a junior, however, leading the FBS with 184.4 rushing yards per game (2,028 total on 323 carries) and scoring 15 times. His six fumbles (all lost) were a bit worrisome, but they didn't prevent him from winning consensus All-American honors and the Doak Walker Award as the nation's best back. Freeman worked up to his starter status, playing seven games as a reserve in 2014 (15-73 rushing) and then 10 as a sophomore, rushing for 681 yards and five touchdowns before missing the final two games with a wrist injury.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Outstanding athleticism for a big runner. Smooth lateral movement. Has feet and agility for slide and go cuts from one gap to the next without a noticeable gear down. Finesses run lanes with subtle shifts and turns. Measured stride length optimizes balance. Swivels hips to swerve away from second level linebackers. Can hurdle open field tacklers who try and go low. Play speed is adequate. Has size and balance to pinball from one tackler to the next if he's not wrapped up. Jars linebackers and safeties at impact with his size alone. North-south runner. Rarely caught taking a loss due to ill-advised "bounce" outside. Proved he could shoulder heavy workload while cranking out consistent production week after week. Had tremendous conversion rate when short yardage was needed.

WEAKNESSES

Usually opts for finesse over power despite his size. Needs to become more decisive and aggressive between the tackles. Inconsistent acceleration into contact. Waits to churn feet until after blow has landed. One pace runner. Forced into 30 or more carries in six of his last seven games. Needs to press the line a little longer on inside zone carries. Impatient keeping runs play-side and looks to break back inside prematurely. Almost overly committed to original running track rather than being flexible with his reads. Burst is average through the line allowing defenders to get hands on him. Alarming ball security issues this season with seven fumbles and six lost. Poor mechanics in pass protection. Doesn't square assignments defaulting to lazy shoulder blocks.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 2-3

SOURCES TELL US

"I think he would have benefitted by staying in school another year. He's awful in pass protection. Our coaches won't put him out there if they think he'll get the quarterback killed. He has ability as a runner but I think it's going to take awhile for him to become a factor." - NFC Scouting Director

NFL COMPARISON

Jonathan Stewart

BOTTOM LINE

Former three-star recruit who turned that a chip on his shoulder into a 2,000-yard junior season. Foreman has outstanding foot quickness and wiggle for a back his size, but will need to run behind his pads and with more aggression on the next level. Teams could be split on his draft value as some may covet his size and athleticism while others will be concerned about a lack of third down value. Ultimately he has the talent to be a good NFL starter, but he's still a work in progress.

-Lance Zierlein
College Stats

*2014 Texas Big 12 FR RB 6gm 14ra 74 yards 5.3 ypc 0 TD 1 rec 7 yards
2015 Texas Big 12 SO RB 10gm 94ra 672 yards 7.1 ypc 5 TD 5 rec 64 yards
2016 Texas Big 12 JR RB 11gm 323ra 2028 yards 6.3 ypc 15 YD 7 rec 75 yards

Not used much as a receiver and shared time with other RB prior to 2017.

Pro day

Foreman ran a 4.45 40 yard dash at 237 lbs according to Gil Brandt this is the fastest time recorded for a RB at 232 or more pounds.

Draft Brakdown games

11 games

Highlight vines of plays

From what I have watched of Foreman he bends pretty well at the waist and can change direction pretty well for the size he played at. He gives defenders bad angles often with subtle moves and change of direction that you won't notice as much watching him full speed.

There isn't much to evaluate from him as a receiver. He has ball security issues and he only had one really good season in college would be some of the main negatives about him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said it before, but I think he could end up being the best RB in the draft.  The Texas system didn't allow him to show his power as much and although he is more of a finesse type of player, the power is there too.  I don't think people give him enough credit for missed tackles, if someone has numbers for that I'd be interested in seeing it.  But he's quick in the hole and quick out of it.  

I've said it before, but I think he could end up being the best RB in the draft.  The Texas system didn't allow him to show his power as much and although he is more of a finesse type of player, the power is there too.  I don't think people give him enough credit for missed tackles, if someone has numbers for that I'd be interested in seeing it.  But he's quick in the hole and quick out of it.  
I'm also a big fan. He's probably never gonna be a 3 down back, but on the right team I think he can be very successful.

Meh, he's ok. 2 down back with better than expected speed for his size, who plays like a much smaller back.  I heard one person compare him to Bettis, but that's way off.  I'll be avoiding him in rookie drafts, for me he's a boom or bust guy with more chance of busting.

Huge Longhorn fan here, and Foreman is the real deal.  UT had a crappy line.  They were young, hurt and often miscast.  They had irregular production out of the passing game.  Freeman was it.  If they had the kind of OL that UT typically has had over the years, Freeman's numbers would be better.  

That all said, he needs to improve his pass blocking.  But because they had so much inconsistent QB play, I'm not sure he had ample opportunity to find consistency with any QB.  Technique does need work though.  

Please note I am *not* making a direct comp here, but there are some qualities to his game that remind me of Le'Veon Bell.  They are bigger (6' or over, both around 230 lbs.) that have more straight line speed than you'd expect.  Bell did not project to be a dual-threat coming out of college.  He was comp'ed to LeGarrette Blount.  He was a bigger back, but was light on his feet (like Foreman).  Again, not making a direct comp, but I think Foreman can be a RB that, if he works at his craft, can surprise people at the next level, only because of his rare size/speed combo and the fact that he's more athletic than folks give him credit for.

He'll need to work on his patience and pass protection but I think in the right system and given the right tutelage he's going to be an effective NFL RB.

His 64 missed tackles forced as a runner were fourth-most in the draft class in 2016.
According to PFF. He makes defenders miss pretty regularly. He is good at picking his feet up and not going down easy that way. He could improve his pad level. Once he breaks away he does have a upright running style. I see him lowering the shoulder and gaining yards after contact at times, just not as consistently as I would like. He does do it at times though. I think this is an area that can be improved with coaching and Foreman looks capable of getting better in this area.

Since the team neglected to throw him the ball, how do we know he isn't great at catching it? I mean, Alabama totally misused their TE. For the most part, when he caught it he did big things with it.

There isn't much to evaluate on him as a receiver.

2016 9 targets 7 receptions (77%) 75 yards 8.3 ypt

2015 9 targets 5 receptions (55%) 64 yards 7.1 ypt

He has 11.6 yards per reception, which isn't bad. The catch rate in 2015 was below average.

Jordan Howard only had 11 receptions for Indiana, so a pretty small sample of receptions too, but he was involved as a receiver slightly more than Foreman was. Still pretty hard to evaluate one way or another when the sample size is so small.

Howard turned out to be a decent receiver.  :shrug:

He has 11.6 yards per reception, which isn't bad. The catch rate in 2015 was below average.

Jordan Howard only had 11 receptions for Indiana, so a pretty small sample of receptions too, but he was involved as a receiver slightly more than Foreman was. Still pretty hard to evaluate one way or another when the sample size is so small.

Howard turned out to be a decent receiver:shrug:
Exactly. If he gets drafted by a team that has a clue, they will throw to him. If he gets drafted by some clowns, they will fail to use him properly & make him a 2 down back only. An example is the stupidity of Jim Harbug/OC G. Roman, who are clueless as far as a RB catching passes. Frank Gore was a stud 2 way RB until those clowns arrived in SF. Only after he left for Indy did he get back to catching 40+ passes.

Howard turned out to be a decent receiver.  :shrug:
Yeah UT's QB situation has been absolutely terrible.  They finally got some decent production - out of a true freshman no less - last year, but honestly UT's offense just didn't really have an element of using the tailback in that fashion.  Heck, even Jamal Charles only had 49 catches in 3 years at UT.  Of course that was 10 years ago and different OC, but still.

Texans selected Texas RB D'Onta Foreman with the No. 89 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Foreman (6’0/233) turned pro after earning the 2016 Doak Walker award as college football’s top running back, wrapping his three-year career with a 431-2,774-20 (6.44 YPC) rushing line but only 13 receptions. While Foreman ran 4.45 at the Texas Pro Day and displays exceptional foot quickness for his size on tape, he lost six fumbles his final year in Austin and is suspect at best in the passing game with minimal receiving production and no experience in pro-style pass protection. A finesse runner in a power back’s body, Foreman frustrates with a repeated failure to beat first contact. Foreman looks like a boom-bust prospect who could conceivably become an NFL sensation, or fail to outlast his rookie deal.

2017 NFL Draft Live Analysis: Fantasy Football Values

Excerpt:

Houston Texans: D’Onta Foreman, RB – Foreman is a power running back, plain and simple. He doesn’t go down easy and blasts through arm tackles with a great low center of gravity. Foreman also has the vision to let blocks develop and make cuts, and he’ll wear down defenses as his touches increase. Foreman needs to keep his weight and check, isn’t very elusive and won’t contribute in the passing game. Don’t dismiss him as a pure backup, as Lamar Miller hasn’t turned into the top-end player the Texans thought they might get. Foreman could end up carving out a shared load as the power option with Miller. Draft Foreman late and stash for his potential, especially if Miller ever missed time.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Texans do not believe third-round RB D'Onta Foreman (foot) needs surgery.
Foreman did not run at the Combine because of a stress fracture in his foot, but he was able to post a 4.45 forty at his Pro Day. Rapoport reports the Texans "found no progressions in the injury" during medical rechecks and the running back "doesn’t feel it." The 2016 Doak Walker award winner will spell Lamar Miller this season.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Coach Bill O'Brien hopes third-round RB D'Onta Freeman will "spell Lamar (Miller) at times when Lamar needs that."

O'Brien described 6-foot, 233-pound Foreman as a "productive tackle-to-tackle first- and second-down runner," essentially hinting the Texans envision Foreman as an upgrade on Alfred Blue. "All running backs need a little rest every now and then," said O'Brien, referring to Miller. "Hopefully, (Foreman) will be able to do that." O'Brien did not in any way indicate Miller's starting job is in danger, instead discussing Foreman as a change-of-pace/breather back.

Related: Lamar Miller

Source: houstontexans.com 
May 1 - 4:31 PM

Houston Chronicle expects D'Onta Foreman to cut into Lamar Miller's workload.
The Texans want to reduce Miller's carries after injuries faded his stretch run last year. Foreman doesn't project for standalone value, but should be an upgrade on Alfred Blue as Houston’s No. 2 back.

Source: Houston Chronicle 
May 6 - 8:07 PM

Houston has a pretty good out on Miller after this season, right?  I wouldn't say it's likely but if I'm looking at it right they can cut him after this year for only a $2 million cap hit, otherwise they are stuck paying him $14 million in 2018-2019.  Not sure if I'm interpreting that right but that's what it looks like.

Houston has a pretty good out on Miller after this season, right?  I wouldn't say it's likely but if I'm looking at it right they can cut him after this year for only a $2 million cap hit, otherwise they are stuck paying him $14 million in 2018-2019.  Not sure if I'm interpreting that right but that's what it looks like.
They aren't "stuck" paying him those salaries, neither is guaranteed until the first day of their respective regular seasons.  So yes, they can cut him after this season for only $2M hit, or they can play it year-by-year.

Houston Chronicle expects D'Onta Foreman to cut into Lamar Miller's workload.
The Texans want to reduce Miller's carries after injuries faded his stretch run last year. Foreman doesn't project for standalone value, but should be an upgrade on Alfred Blue as Houston’s No. 2 back.

May 6 - 8:07 PM
So it wasn't just Miami's coaching staff being bad that caused then to use Miller in a more limited fashion. It is about Miller, not the coaches.

It's tough to do any running with the worst QB in the league. Part is on Miller for looking for a place to fall down, part is on the FO & coaches for not realizing their QB was garbage and then not addressing it in the offseason.

Foreman. imo, is a better RB though.

Shows up at rookie camp out of shape, not good.
Saw rotoworlds blurb and looked to see what the hell happened and what O'Brien said and I couldn't find anything specifically calling out Foreman as the blurb indicated.  What he did say was "all these guys (rookies) need to get in better shape.  The guys that have been in the offseason program for 4-5 weeks are in way better shape than these guys."

Unless I missed Foreman being called out, this may be a whole lot made out of nothing by Rotoworld.  

Here is the rotoworld blurb with the linked article:

Coach Bill O'Brien named D'Onta Foreman as a rookie who reported to the team out of shape, and Foreman rode an exercise bike during the Texans' rookie minicamp practice on Saturday.

This is actually quite common for rookies, who spent the last several months flying around the country to meet with teams, then celebrating for two weeks after they were drafted. Still, it's notable that Foreman is out of shape enough that he isn't even allowed to practice yet. Foreman weighed 233 pounds at the Combine, but was listed at 249 at the University of Texas. Weight management is something he'll have to take seriously in the NFL.

May 14 - 8:23 PM

This guy was a big target for me in my dynasty rookie draft.  I couldn't trade into the 2nd and he didn't fall to me.  I am now glad I didn't obtain him

This guy was a big target for me in my dynasty rookie draft.  I couldn't trade into the 2nd and he didn't fall to me.  I am now glad I didn't obtain him
Liked him a lot too, but ended up being too rich for me as drafts moved along. And to be honest, I am a little more WR centric and found myself drafting Samuel and Godwin in the mid 2nd over Foreman. Glad I did. 

He was one of the players I targeted in the 2nd round, but didn't end up with him in any league. He fell in my drafts pretty much 2.03 - 2.07 range (although at 1.10 in one :eek: ) and was either taken before I picked or I went with a player I liked better (usually Joe Williams).

Same here, I was hoping to get him in the mid 2nd but thankfully I saw the reports before I was on the clock.  

The attorney for D'Onta Foreman released a statement regarding Foreman's arrest on Sunday afternoon disputing charges of an unlawful firearm and stating Foreman did not possess marijuana.

The attorney, Chip Lewis, claims Foreman broke no laws. "This legal handgun was recently purchased by D'Onta and registered in his name," Lewis' statement reads. "The handgun was properly secured inside his vehicle as required by Texas law. A passenger in D'Onta's vehicle was in possession of marijuana. D'Onta did not use or possess the marijuana." Lewis also said Foreman will take a urine test to prove that he wasn't smoking weed.

Ok,, this sounds like he's innocent, but he still has to pass the drug test.  What are the odds he's hanging around "his friends" and not partaking in some smoke?  If his test comes back clean that speaks well for his character, in that it shows his head appears to be screwed on straighter than this report leads you to believe.

JohnnyU said:
I agree.  It's a lot less harmful on your body and the rest of society than alcohol. 
Or much more importantly, the prescription pain killers that athletes are supposed to use to manage pain. 

Tool said:
Legalize it. Don't criticize it.

I agree with your position on legalization.  Until that day, and it is an approved substance for use in the CBA, players need to show a modicum of brain activity and stay away from it.  Pretty simple given what's on the line, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread