What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 NFL Draft Thread *** Bears pay a steep price for their franchise QB (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
FBG,

The 2017 NFL Draft is now just a little over 32 hours away from getting underway and the excitement for this draft is building to a frenzy.  

Tomorrow promises to be full of intrigue and for many of us it is the second best day on the calendar after our own fantasy football drafts.

I am looking forward to the moments that will define this draft and learning where these promising players will be starting their newly minted NFL careers.

Please feel free to post any information leading up to the draft and the discussion as the picks unfold before us.

- Faust

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony Pauline:

Just one day left before the draft officially beings.  Here’s the latest on players dropping down boards and quarterback contingency plans for Cleveland.

While I’ve been very skeptical about Dalvin Cook falling to the second round of the draft you can now count me as a believer after numerous conversations.

Last night, prior to the announcement of a deal being reached for running back Marshawn Lynch,  a source from the Oakland Raiders told me they expect Cook to be available when they are called to the clock with the 24th pick of round one but have no interest in selecting him. At that point, they feel Joe Mixon is the wiser choice.

The point was not that the Raiders would draft Mixon, but rather that Cook’s injuries and multiple off-field issues are greater risks.

The Arizona Cardinals have been a busy team over the past week. I’m told they made a trip to visit Louisiana-Lafayette running back Elijah McGuire and also made a trip to see Florida safety Marcus Maye.

On Tuesday I posted that teams at the top of Round 2 were showing a lot of interest in Cal quarterback Davis Webb. Late Tuesday evening, a source close to the situation told me that if the Cleveland Browns do not secure Mitchell Trubisky in Round 1, Webb is likely to be the target with the 33rd selection.

The Pittsburgh Steelers made a trip to visit underrated pass rusher Jonathan Calvin of Mississippi State. We presently grade Calvin as a UDFA but would not be surprised if he hops into the last round.

We have just over 48 hours until the Cleveland Browns are officially on the clock. Here’s the latest with a few scenarios for the Baltimore Ravens and where Davis Webb may end up.

I’ve heard an opinion from more than a few people who believe Garett Bolles could slip out of the first round. It’s not an opinion I share, as Bolles still grades as the premier left tackle in this year’s draft on my board.  

The teams that I hear are highest on Bolles right now include the Denver Broncos (20th selection), New York Giants (No. 23), Oakland Raiders (No. 24) and Houston Texans (No. 25).

I was told two interesting nuggets on the Baltimore Ravens last night: 1) if they hold onto the 16th selection, offensive tackle Cam Robinson enters the conversation as the pick and 2) if they trade down, the target is likely Takkarist McKinley, a favorite of Ozzie Newsome over the past six months.

A source with ties to the team tells me he feels the Green Bay Packers are gearing up to select T.J. Watt in Round 1.

We expect Davis Webb to be off the board by the middle of round 2.  Teams showing the greatest interest to this point include the New York Jets, New Orleans Saints, Los Angeles Chargers and Arizona Cardinals.  

I’ve mocked Webb to the Buffalo Bills in Round 2 a couple of times now but have been told that while the team has shown interest in the signal caller, it has taken a backseat to the franchises mentioned above.

Fox Sports' Joel Klatt reports that Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey and Temple LB Haason Reddick are "rising fast."
This report jives with everything we've been hearing. Klatt says he's hearing that McCaffrey will go in the top-eight and Haason Reddick will go in the top-12. While many slot C-Mac to Carolina at No. 8, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah reported that he wouldn't be surprised if McCaffrey is gone by then. Rotoworld's Josh Norris believes that the Chargers at No. 7 are a possible surprise suitor for McCaffrey.

Source: Joel Klatt on Twitter 
Apr 26 - 3:58 PM

Maybe the Schefty bubble has burst and now people are using him to spread pre-draft smokescreens.  Mike and Mike asked him weeks ago if the info he was putting out could be a smokescreen, and he freaked out, and was like, "It's what people are telling me! My sources! It's no smokescreen! It's real!" Ok buddy, it's naive to think that all your information is true when every team is playing games.  Sashi has said only a couple people know the pick, it's entirely believable that Schefty's source isn't one of those people, and they're just speculating.

Jason Cole reports there is "growing chatter" linking the Jaguars and Clemson QB Deshaun Watson.

Tom Coughlin's influence on the pick cannot be undersold, and if he loves Watson then expect it to be the selection. The Jaguars have been linked to O.J. Howard and Leonard Fournette, but a quality starter at quarterback transcends the position. Watson should be on the board at No. 4, unless the Bears grab him at No. 3.

Source: Jason Cole on Twitter 
Apr 27 - 8:43 AM

Fox Sports' Joel Klatt reports that Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey and Temple LB Haason Reddick are "rising fast."

This report jives with everything we've been hearing. Klatt says he's hearing that McCaffrey will go in the top-eight and Haason Reddick will go in the top-12. While many slot C-Mac to Carolina at No. 8, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah reported that he wouldn't be surprised if McCaffrey is gone by then. Rotoworld's Josh Norris believes that the Chargers at No. 7 are a possible surprise suitor for McCaffrey.
McCaffrey?  To the Chargers?????

:no:

I'm listening to Dan Patrick radio he's talking to some NFL guy. There's belief that Mixon will go somewhere between the end of the 1st to Middle of the 2nd.

Tex

The Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports the Ravens have "considerable interest" in Western Michigan WR Corey Davis, and Davis is "one of their stronger options" at the No. 16 overall pick.

Wilson presently covers the Texans, but he wrote for the Carroll County Times and Baltimore Sun for many years on the Ravens' beat, so his reporting is noteworthy. The Ravens' wideout group is among the weakest in football with Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman returning atop the depth chart. Davis has the best game film of any receiver in this draft. He played in the MAC, however, and did not work out before the draft due to ankle surgery.

Related: Ravens

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter 
Apr 26 - 9:35 PM

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah brought up the possibility of five running backs being drafted in round one in his latest mock draft.

The five are: Leonard Fournette to the Jaguars at No. 4, Christian McCaffrey to the Chargers at No. 7, Dalvin Cook to the Redskins at No. 17, Alvin Kamara to the Chiefs at No. 27 and Joe Mixon to the Packers at No. 29. We've discussed how much the NFL likes Kamara, and teams could be picking from the running back group in the hopes of landing a playmaker.

Source: NFL.com 
Apr 27 - 10:38 AM

Both Bob McGinn and Todd McShay placed UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky as the No. 1 pick to the Browns in their final mock drafts.

"Owner Jimmy Haslam intercedes at the 11th hour, deciding that a future with Cody Kessler and Brock Osweiler is like none at all," McGinn writes. The Browns could absolutely try to move up from No. 12, even to No. 2, in order to land their top two prospects. But that would be incredibly difficult and lead the team to far fewer resources and darts.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 
Apr 27 - 8:48 AM

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reports Texas A&M pass rusher Myles Garrett "is still the likely pick for the Browns at No. 1."

Cabot says the Browns are still attempting "to trade up into the top eight," suggesting they will take Garrett at No. 1 and hope to land UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky later in the draft. ESPN's Jeff Darlington adds the 49ers, who pick behind Cleveland, are "skeptical about Trubisky going to the Browns." With the draft finally here, we will know for sure soon enough.

Related: Browns

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer 
Apr 27 - 10:47 AM

" Unconfimed nugget from Dave TE Thomas at Giants board: Saints are shopping RB Mark Ingram. " - Greg Richards via Twitter

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Broncos are "exploring" trading up on Thursday evening.
Desperate to improve the Broncos' offensive line, GM John Elway must believe his player might not be there at No. 20. In one of the weakest tackle classes in years, if not ever, Alabama's Cam Robinson is one of the top names available. Utah's Garett Bolles is another name to monitor.

Related: Broncos

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 
Apr 27 - 2:06 PM

Who are the guys on twitter that tip picks that I want to unfollow or block?  Jason LaCanfora does it.  Others?
Also any way to get mods to pin this and add a note about people not posting the twitter spoilers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhythmdoctor said:
McCaffrey to the Chargers?? Makes little sense and as a McCaffrey fan/fantasy owner, I would not like it. 
It makes sense if they think that Melvin Gordon isn't the answer. It's a new coach, he's not tied into any past players.  Also, Anthony Lynn usually has a formidable running game. If McCaffrey goes to the Chargers (which I highly doubt) I think he would do very well, probably at Gordon's expense.  He's be like Danny Woodhead: The Ultimate Edition.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Falcons are "plotting a potential move" up from No. 31.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported something similar last week. The move would almost certainly be for a specific player, and not a specific need. A pass rusher is one possibility. Tennessee's Derek Barnett and Missouri's Charles Harris are two players who could be available in the low '20s.

Related: Falcons

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 
Apr 27 - 3:18 PM

2017 NFL Draft: Titans reportedly have offers for No. 5 pick, mulling trade

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports the Broncos have had trade up talks with the Titans, who select at No. 5.
The scuttlebutt has the Broncos eyeing offensive linemen, but that kind of rocket move from No. 20 would likely be with something else in mind. The Titans also own the No. 18 overall pick, which would be a more reasonable move. The Broncos have been connected to Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey most of the offseason, but it's unlikely GM John Elway would mortgage the farm to move up 15 spots for a running back.

Related: BroncosTitans

Source: Jason Cole on Twitter 
Apr 27 - 3:31 PM

The Post-Standard reports Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes is expected to go in the top 10.
Per reporter Matthew Fairburn, the Chiefs are "known to love" Mahomes, and are considering a trade up. The top 10 isn't lacking for quarterback-needy teams, including the team Fairburn covers, the Bills, at No. 10. Although this is considered a relatively poor quarterback class, teams appear prepared to go as crazy as usual pursuing football's most important position.

Related: Chiefs

Source: Matthew Fairburn on Twitter 
Apr 27 - 5:18 PM

If the Browns take anyone other than Garrett at #1, the entire front office needs to be burned at the stake (I wonder if that is how the phrase getting fired started?)

@Faust - would you mind adding "SPOILER-FREE ZONE" or something equally unambiguous to the thread title? I turn off Twitter on Draft Day and couldn't stand all the leaks ITT last year.

Bonus: maybe with the board MVP hosting the official draft thread, we might get the mods to pin it before 9:00.  :excited:  

Users who are viewing this thread