What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is ebonics acceptable in academic and professional life? (1 Viewer)

I'm usually fairly "woke" on these topics, but what is "white-passing"?

“I want to center the voices of the people who need to be centered,” said Gallagher. “As a Writing Fellow, as a white-passing person, I have a lot of power and privilege that should be shared.”

Implying that black people aren't capable of learning proper English seems a little racisty.  But hey, if someone wants to actually establish this as a language with generally accepted rules, structure and definitions, why not?  I don't think ebonics as it exists could actually be considered a language.

That might explain how the "garbage pail kids" on The Walking Dead forgot how to speak basic English in a short time...

He somehow feels accepted by white people I assume.

I imagine it would be pretty funny to interview someone who majored in ebonics at UW.  

Forget race - caring about how people feel about what/how they are learning is not teaching. The act of setting aside personality to develop/increase knowledge is as growthful as any knowledge itself will prove to be. 

Implying that black people aren't capable of learning proper English seems a little racisty.  But hey, if someone wants to actually establish this as a language with generally accepted rules, structure and definitions, why not?  I don't think ebonics as it exists could actually be considered a language.
Have a double language major..ebonics and pig latin.

I love these articles/threads.

Some lower-tier  "professor" somewhere comes up with a goofy idea and people get all worked up over it.
And the website who got all worked up over it is not exactly unbiased or objective:

Yes, you read that correctly: her research is based wholly on interviews with three college students who, like many special snowflakes, would feel oppressed if you looked at them the wrong way.

Is this related to standardized testing being culturally biased?

If so how is standardized testing biased towards minorities?

The world we are living in has a finite number of jobs, and that number is very likely going to decrease substantially over the next decade or two. This means competition for those jobs will be increasingly tough.... If you're not actively improving yourself, you're going to be left behind. 

I love these articles/threads.

Some lower-tier  "professor" somewhere comes up with a goofy idea and people get all worked up over it.
And it will be the main story on Hannity in a few days, and make the rounds on all the conservative talk shows...

Good thing O' Reilly's no longer on the air or we'd have endure the "War on English". 

The world we are living in has a finite number of jobs, and that number is very likely going to decrease substantially over the next decade or two. This means competition for those jobs will be increasingly tough.... If you're not actively improving yourself, you're going to be left behind. 
:goodposting:

I went out and added an accounting degree to pad the resume.  There's a lot of us that could be tossed on the street tomorrow, and there's a lot of dogs fighting over the same pork chop out there.

Of course it is. In fact, the linguistic rules of ebonics are actually more complicated than Standard American English, which is already one of the most complicated languages on the planet.
Not to mention if Ebonics is ever formally accepted in some capacity, it will immediately become "uncool" and it's fan base will adapt to something else. 

language is constantly evolving and getting dumbed down.  Seems like a logical step
In other words, devolving. :lol:

Seriously, I think everyone 25 and younger honestly doesn't care if they misuse "you're / your" and the like.  

Basically it's hip to look dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread