What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Great Songs Released By A Band After 5 Years Of No New / Original Music Released (1 Viewer)

Limp Ditka

Footballguy
Thinking about bands taking a break and what they're capable of after a long breakup/hiatus. More often than not, the post-hiatus product leaves something to be desired when compared to their previous works, but there are always exceptions....

Example:

New Order released Republic in 1993 and broke up. They got back together in 1998, but no new material was released until 2001's Get Ready

First single off of that album was a song that I think stands up to anything they ever released. Great song and upon a couple of listens, no doubt that it stayed true to what New Order was before the breakup.

Crystal

John Fogerty has done it a few times.

1974 Self Titled album
1985 Centerfield
1997 Blue Moon Swamp
2004 Deja Vu All Over Again

The Stones routinely do this.

George Harrison and John Lennon both had lengthy breaks between LPs.  Harrison's Cloud Nine and Lennon's Double Fantasy were both considered pretty big comebacks.

The great Flash Flood wrote some grrrreat rockabilly tunes well after he left the Sandbags:

Let Me Sniff It

Huckleberry Smile

Do the Squirrel

Nurse Helga & the Haldol Kid

Red Fox Boogie

Smash & Grab

now that i think of it, this mighta been one of my flashbacks..........

I'm not a big fan of the post-Waters Floyd, but "High Hopes" is a top-notch tune that came out 7 years after A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Metallica released ReLoad in '97.  The next album of new stuff was St. Anger in '03 (6 years), which had a few good songs on it.  And then nothing until Death Magnetic in '08 (5 years), which had a few more good songs on it.  And then last year came Hardwired... To Self-Destruct (8 years), and I like at least Moth Into Flame from off that one.

I really like Van Halen's 2012 album with David Lee Roth ("A Different Kind Of Truth"). Most of the songs are remakes of old demos, but even the new stuff is very strong.

The Flatlanders

1972 - Jimmie Dale and The Flatlanders

1990 - More a Legend than a Band

2002 - Now Again

2004 - Wheels of Fortune

2009 - Hills and Valleys

Metallica released ReLoad in '97.  The next album of new stuff was St. Anger in '03 (6 years), which had a few good songs on it.  And then nothing until Death Magnetic in '08 (5 years), which had a few more good songs on it.  And then last year came Hardwired... To Self-Destruct (8 years), and I like at least Moth Into Flame from off that one.
I think half of Death Magnetic and 2/3 of Hardwired rock.  Great example IMO.

Does Walk This Way count for Aerosmith?

Not a band, but Lucinda Williams' Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, released in 1998 after a 6 year hiatus, was a pretty big deal; and one of the greatest albums ever.

Echo & The Bunnymen disbanded for seven years in the 90s (ten years if you don't count the Ian McCullochless Reverberation album) before getting back together in 1997.  The records they've released since reforming are more uneven than their 80s prime but the band is still capable of putting out great singles like Stormy Weather and Lovers on the Run that stand with their best work.

Echo & The Bunnymen disbanded for seven years in the 90s (ten years if you don't count the Ian McCullochless Reverberation album) before getting back together in 1997.  The records they've released since reforming are more uneven than their 80s prime but the band is still capable of putting out great singles like Stormy Weather and Lovers on the Run that stand with their best work.
I'm so dismissive of most 80's music, but nobody cannot not not like Stormy Weather. Sweet tune.

1997 - Camp Lo - Luchini 

2002 - Camp Lo - Carnival 4 Sha, Black Connect II

Okay, it's a stretch to call Carnival 4 Sha great, but Camp Lo went a while between albums and both had some darn good songs on them.  

Many songs on the Lateralus album by Tool could technically fit these parameters as that album came out 7-8 years after Undertow.  Schism, Parable+parabola, lateralus,  the grudge, ticks and leeches--would all be solid candidates. 

Users who are viewing this thread