What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mexico City - Safe to wander around? (1 Viewer)

dgreen

Footballguy
I'll be in Mexico City for work in June. Much of my time will be working and going wherever those events are. But, if I have a little free time, is it a safe place to explore on my own or with one or two others? Obviously there are going to be places to avoid like most big cities, but in general is it ok for a gringo to take in some sites?

My only international travel has been the UK (when I was a child) and Canada a few times, including Ottawa last Summer. I'm not a well-traveled person, so no idea if it's an ignorant question to ask this about Mexico City.

It's possible the Mexican hosts will fill our schedule up with events and be our guides (I haven't seen the full agenda yet), but I hope to have some time to myself if it's a safe place to travel around. I like exploring new places.

I would recommend not wearing a US soccer shirt but other than that, you will be fine if you take the normal precautions you would in any city.

Great city! Check out Casa Azul & Chapultepec. If you get the time get on a tour bus or negotiate with a cab to drive you to Teotihuacan pyramids. Amazing place. 

Just walk faster than anyone else on the street. That way you can see if anyone is following you.

Was there two years ago. Ate all you can eat tacos at a fancy sports bar somewhere in a very nice part of the city. Not a good idea, don't do that.

it's highly neighborhood dependent but most of the central / old city is fine. check out coyoacan (sp?) and xocomilco (sp?) 

eta also seek out this restaurant also in a nice neighborhood http://m.lacasadetono.com.mx

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there last year for business. The Hyatt told me when going out not to wear any rings or jewelry, to take my phone out as little as possible and do not leave it on a table or bar when eating or drinking, not to flash cash, only carry 1 credit card if possible and try to stay in the main areas. I did and had no problems.

Was at this nice outdoor café and bar and the local women either sit on the their purse or it is tucked between their legs under the table. So they know the program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like my meeting will be right by the airport so I assume we will get a hotel near there. 

If you enjoy urine, go see a futbol game. They have it in easy-to-use bags, and it's free. Better still, you don't even have to flag down a vendor, just wear a USA kit and they'll toss them right to you. 

You'll be fine. Generally the Yucatan and southern Mexico is less touristy and less overtly criminal. There's also tons of police, everywhere. Just don't be dbag, keep your wallet in your front pocket and go to places where expats go or go to places they own. If you go to full on authentic Mexican places, make sure you have a Mexican local host with you.

My experience there was great, nobody messed with me and everyone was friendly. Never once felt scared or in danger. 

Have my hotel right next to the airport. Meetings will be done by about noon on a Friday and I'm not flying out until Saturday morning, so I'll have that afternoon/evening to see some things. Looking forward to it!

Have my hotel right next to the airport. Meetings will be done by about noon on a Friday and I'm not flying out until Saturday morning, so I'll have that afternoon/evening to see some things. Looking forward to it!
Unfortunately, I ended up flying out Friday evening but had the opportunity to go downtown to the main plaza area Wednesday night and then again for about an hour Friday afternoon. I'd really like to go back sometime to see more. 

I didn't drive myself, but riding in Ubers gave me a good sense of how...interesting...driving is there. I consider myself lucky that I didn't see a pedestrian get hit by a car. 

Security at the airport was a breeze. They don't post gates and allow you to go through security until an hour before boarding, which seems to help manage the flow through security. And I didn't have to take off my shoes! I could've reached my gate within 5 minutes of entering the front door. 

I've been twice over the last 10 years. Felt quite safe. Took marked taxis (pre Uber) and the metro to get around. Food is awesome, people friendly, great museums and cultural stuff all around, and the weather is usually pretty nice. Helps that I speak Spanish, but I think even if you don't you'd be fine I the downtown core.

I've been twice over the last 10 years. Felt quite safe. Took marked taxis (pre Uber) and the metro to get around. Food is awesome, people friendly, great museums and cultural stuff all around, and the weather is usually pretty nice. Helps that I speak Spanish, but I think even if you don't you'd be fine I the downtown core.
Yes, weather was awesome. Low 80s for the high and a low in the upper 50s each night. 

Big earthquake there today - 7.1. 

Hopefully not too many injuries or deaths.
scary stuff. that's a big one.

I read it's the anniversary of the big one in the 80s- and they had earthquake safety drills to "celebrate" this morning. crazy timing.

Those large buildings are designed to sway like that but its still freaky to watch.  That's basically seismic engineering doing its job.

dammit. this is one where the death toll is going to keep rising, given the damage I'm seeing. :(

just a bit ago, it was 4. now NYTimes saying "dozens".

scary stuff. that's a big one.

I read it's the anniversary of the big one in the 80s- and they had earthquake safety drills to "celebrate" this morning. crazy timing.
One person said that people initially didn't take the real sirens seriously.  

dammit. this is one where the death toll is going to keep rising, given the damage I'm seeing. :(

just a bit ago, it was 4. now NYTimes saying "dozens".
Yeah, with so many people and so many older buildings, I imagine the final number will be quite high. 

One of our best friends is Dir of Sales Latin America for a big tech company.  Had to bail on the Clapton concert last night to do a meeting in Mexico City.  Was there when the quake hit.  He's from So Cal and been involved in quakes, but said he's never been that scared in his life.

Use caution when getting an Uber. The cartels are using them now, in the border area mainly but still, I wouldn't be taking Uber or Cabify.

Users who are viewing this thread