What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fluxuating Dynasty Market Value During the Draft (1 Viewer)

Brisco54

Footballguy
All:

During the draft it seems like most of us are focused on our favorite NFL teams (front page of the forum was all team pages).  I thought we could use a thread to still talk fantasy on a collective basis.

In a few days we will start seeing the fantasy experts writing articles about which players were helped or hurt the most by the draft. Also the initial rookie ranking will start talking about the best and worst landing slots.

Why wait?

Round one is over.  What vets had the biggest change in market value based on the results?  Which rookies were helped or hurt the most by their landing spots?

I am gonna go way out on a limb and say Trubiskie (sp) got the biggest bump up in my eyes. He was expected to go top five overall by many draftniks, but the ransom the Bears paid may hurt the team but help the player for fantasy purposes.  He is going to start in 2017 and he is going to be playing from way behind most of the year... I see a possible king of garbage time points.

Plus, he is going to have a ton of opportunity to build rapport with a core of young players.

As far as vets hurt by the draft... All the JAX rbs just became handcuffs at best and while Rivers is loving life, there are only do many balls to go around... The rest of the Chargers passing attack goes down a little bit in my eyes.

Brisco54

Last edited by a moderator:
Eli Manning is all of a sudden surrounded by an embarrassment of riches when it comes to receiving options and there is no real goal line option at RB.

Coming into the draft, Fournette and McCaffrey seemed to be fairly unanimously selected as one and two.  I think Corey Davis may have jumped into the conversation, especially in PPR leagues.

All:

During the draft it seems like most of us are focused on our favorite NFL teams (front page of the forum was all team pages).  I thought we could use a thread to still talk fantasy on a collective basis.

In a few days we will start seeing the fantasy experts writing articles about which players were helped or hurt the most by the draft. Also the initial rookie ranking will start talking about the best and worst landing slots.

Why wait?

Round one is over.  What vets had the biggest change in market value based on the results?  Which rookies were helped or hurt the most by their landing spots?

I am gonna go way out on a limb and say Trubiskie (sp) got the biggest bump up in my eyes. He was expected to go top five overall by many draftniks, but the ransom the Bears paid may hurt the team but help the player for fantasy purposes.  He is going to start in 2017 and he is going to be playing from way behind most of the year... I see a possible king of garbage time points.

Plus, he is going to have a ton of opportunity to build rapport with a core of young players.

As far as vets hurt by the draft... All the JAX rbs just became handcuffs at best and while Rivers is loving life, there are only do many balls to go around... The rest of the Chargers passing attack goes down a little bit in my eyes.

Brisco54
Why do you think this? I don't agree at all and most analysts I've read don't think so either. The guy only has 13 starts right?

Or did you mean to type 2018? 

Eli Manning is all of a sudden surrounded by an embarrassment of riches when it comes to receiving options and there is no real goal line option at RB.
LeGarrette Blount was rumored there pre-draft. As a Blount owner in one dyno I'm rooting strongly for that outcome.

Top 5 is going to be a roller coaster.  There are 5 guys that could legit make a case, and that's without taking into account scoring rules.  Fournette, Davis, and CMc are all already in the conversation once you consider league scoring, and we haven't even seen where Mixon and Cook end up.  And what if GB takes Kamara at 33?  Over Mixon and Cook, how many people will be wondering what they know that we don't?  And with that opportunity in front of him, he'd be in the conversation too.

Evan Engram is the one I'm baffled by.  One the one hand, there are a ton of mouths to feed there and their QB is no spring chicken with no obvious successor lined up.  On the other hand, they drafted him awful early and they didn't do so as a blocker, so you gotta believe there's going to be a commitment there.  Marshall doesn't have a lot of time left, so if you plan a year for Engram to learn = a year Marshall can plug that hole, maybe this fits well. 

I'm convinced Howard becomes a much better NFL player than fantasy.

And all of a sudden Deshaun Watson is intriguing again.  He could have gone to the Jets in the 2nd and done me the favor of letting me scratch him off my list.  Instead he goes to a very good team with excellent weapons available and a spot he should be able to earn playing time organically.   No other QB interests me.

Why do you think this? I don't agree at all and most analysts I've read don't think so either. The guy only has 13 starts right?

Or did you mean to type 2018? 
I am operating with the idea that he will start at some point in 2017 because he is a 1st round draft pick and they spent a lot to trade up to get him.

The last 1st round QB to not start a game his rookie year?  Brady Quinn and that was ten drafts ago in 2007.  In the last ten drafts there have been 26 QBs selected in the first round.  All but Quinn started at least one game, and of the remaining 25, only Lynch, Manziel, Locker, and Tebow were not the "starter" (rather than backup who is starting) for their team before the end of their rookie year.  

Jake Locker is the only QB of the last ten drafts to be selected in the top 20 picks overall and not be named the team's 'starter' at some point during their rookie year.

I think history says its pretty safe to believe he will be a starter in 2017.

I am operating with the idea that he will start at some point in 2017 because he is a 1st round draft pick and they spent a lot to trade up to get him.

The last 1st round QB to not start a game his rookie year?  Brady Quinn and that was ten drafts ago in 2007.  In the last ten drafts there have been 26 QBs selected in the first round.  All but Quinn started at least one game, and of the remaining 25, only Lynch, Manziel, Locker, and Tebow were not the "starter" (rather than backup who is starting) for their team before the end of their rookie year.  

Jake Locker is the only QB of the last ten drafts to be selected in the top 20 picks overall and not be named the team's 'starter' at some point during their rookie year.

I think history says its pretty safe to believe he will be a starter in 2017.
Ok. Guess I misunderstood. That's a very likely scenario. I thought you were saying he was an immediate starter, "day one". 

Users who are viewing this thread