What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

$12,000-a-ticket luxury Fyre Festival in Bahamas descends into a Lord of the Flies dystopia (1 Viewer)

ren hoek

Footballguy
Gees, these people got ripped off hard.  

announcing Fyre Festival

http://boingboing.net/2017/04/28/12000-a-ticket-luxury-festiv.html

https://twitter.com/FyreFraud

Fyre Festival was advertised as a luxury music festival on a private island in the Bahamas. But promises of a private chartered flight to the island, gourmet meals, private glamping tents, yacht cruises, gourmet catering, and an all-star concert performance line-up "quickly turned into a terrifying B-movie, with flocks of Instagram models forced to seek shelter in an airport after arriving to discover a lack of food, violent locals, appalling accommodation and feral dogs roaming the grounds," reports The Telegraph.

Snip:

As a result, social media has exploded overnight with tales of Instagram-filtered terror and disappointment, with beautiful festival-goers arriving on the island to discover half-built tents, their luggage being thrown out of the back of a truck, muggers and thieves laying in wait to steal wallets from trust fund kids, unhelpful staff, and "gourmet cuisine" that turned out to be nothing but ham and cheese sandwiches.

From iBankCoin:

The “chartered flight from Miami” turned out to be severely delayed coach seats, and upon arrival shocked concert-goers were met with partially constructed USAID disaster relief tents.

First world problems.  Who pays $12K for a music festival ticket?

I'm on the fence on whether this is so awesome or not.  This is like one of those INSTANT JUSTICE videos on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well at least the  gourmet food part was right 

After forking over some good cash, they got a Styrofoam box with two slices of bread, lettuce, tomato, and two individually wrapped slices of Kraft American cheese 

Awesome!

Well there was a feral pig  :porked:  at 1:01 in that fantastically produced marketing video that makes you feel like a rock star. :headbang:  So they were genuine about that. 

"Does anyone know how to make weapons?"  :ninja:   :help:

The lockers.  :IBTL:

The concierge.  :tumbleweed:

The luggage. :clyde:

The tents.  :toilet:

The food.  :X

Gold, Jerry. Motherf'n gold. What an age to live in. Without dying cell phones this would only be a tall tale.  :own3d:   :tfp:   :doh:   :wall:   :eek:

:o   I just saw this documentary on Netflix.  I vaguely remember hearing about this a while back. Definitely remember the photo of the "meal" which made me tune in.  I had no idea what a total mess that event was.   That had the potential to get way worse than it got. 

:o   I just saw this documentary on Netflix.  I vaguely remember hearing about this a while back. Definitely remember the photo of the "meal" which made me tune in.  I had no idea what a total mess that event was.   That had the potential to get way worse than it got. 
I got this Q'd up to watch.  Looks interesting.  

I don't know anything about the guy who tried to set this all up and don't even really remember hearing about this when it happened, but before watching I am just going to guess the guy has bipolar disorder and totes the line on being manic most of the time.  Will be fun to see how close I am on that.

Sounds awesome.  Downloading it now.

The documentary is either hilarious or the reflection of a very sad state of affairs.  Maybe both.  

Sociopath bro-d0uche grifter cons and rips off  millennials who have the time, money and desire to spend $25k for a ticket to go see blink 182, because one of the Kardashians told them too. 

Nobody wins.  Except me and hatred of things. 

The documentary is either hilarious or the reflection of a very sad state of affairs.  Maybe both.  

Sociopath bro-d0uche grifter cons and rips off  millennials who have the time, money and desire to spend $25k for a ticket to go see blink 182, because one of the Kardashians told them too. 

The state of affairs have always been the same.

People have been getting schemed since the beginning of time. Nothing to do with today's youth, millennials or whatever.

Remeber,  we are only 40 years removed from a dude promising a better life convincing over 1000 people to fly to south america to start a utopian society only to have over 900 of them kill themselves, other members and their own children by ingesting cyanide. 

This was a bunch of people with disposable income looking for another good time and they got beat. Has probably happend several times again since this incident. 

Watched the Netflix one recently. Highly recommended. I knew almost nothing about this. Totally mesmerizing. 

The main guy is a complete sociopath.

The state of affairs have always been the same.

People have been getting schemed since the beginning of time. Nothing to do with today's youth, millennials or whatever.

Remeber,  we are only 40 years removed from a dude promising a better life convincing over 1000 people to fly to south america to start a utopian society only to have over 900 of them kill themselves, other members and their own children by ingesting cyanide. 

This was a bunch of people with disposable income looking for another good time and they got beat. Has probably happend several times again since this incident. 
Sure. 

However social media is a new wrinkle. Cheap, easy, unlimited reach. 

Wasn't there a thread on this last week?  Maybe buried in Netflix thread.  Had some other crazy links. 

Watched the Netflix one recently. Highly recommended. I knew almost nothing about this. Totally mesmerizing. 

The main guy is a complete sociopath.

I got this Q'd up to watch.  Looks interesting.  

I don't know anything about the guy who tried to set this all up and don't even really remember hearing about this when it happened, but before watching I am just going to guess the guy has bipolar disorder and totes the line on being manic most of the time.  Will be fun to see how close I am on that.

Don’t forget the Hulu doc too. Wish amazon prime would make one also. 

The Hulu doc directly ####ting on the Netflix one was superb.

wtf? Are these the documentaries that shall not be named?

Watched the Fyre Fraud documentary on Hulu yesterday.  Billy McFarland is a con man, plain and simple.  He was a con man before the Fyre Festival, he was most certainly a con man while trying to put on the festival, and he is still a con man now.  Lots of other people were at fault, but most of the blame lies squarely on him.

Thumbs up on the Hulu doc.  I'll probably watch the Netflix one too though.

Watched the Fyre Fraud documentary on Hulu yesterday.  Billy McFarland is a con man, plain and simple.  He was a con man before the Fyre Festival, he was most certainly a con man while trying to put on the festival, and he is still a con man now.  Lots of other people were at fault, but most of the blame lies squarely on him.

Thumbs up on the Hulu doc.  I'll probably watch the Netflix one too though.
The Netflix doc goes into more nuts-and-bolts of what happened (or didn't happen), IMO, plus they feature more of the locals who got screwed. I think it's worth watching both if the subject is of interest.

Millennials: We are extremely lazy and needed everything handed to us.

Cosjobs: Oh yeah?
:bag:

But its like when I'm listening to a baseball podcast and they're reviewing players, but I get distracted for a moment when they say his name. And then I listen to the next five minutes of analysis when I don't know wtf they are talking about. I could rewind and try and find the 2 seconds where they say his name, or they could repeat it now and then during the analysis. Is desiring more efficient communication a boomer thing?

They also need to do a documentary on that elite credit card scam and all the millennial idiots who signed up for it.  

Cos I don’t know the exact names and subtitles but just type ‘fyre’ into Netflix and Hulu. They’ll come up. 

:bag:

But its like when I'm listening to a baseball podcast and they're reviewing players, but I get distracted for a moment when they say his name. And then I listen to the next five minutes of analysis when I don't know wtf they are talking about. I could rewind and try and find the 2 seconds where they say his name, or they could repeat it now and then during the analysis. Is desiring more efficient communication a boomer thing?
this is EXACTLY what I go through on a DAILY REPEATED basis during football season.  

and the "10 seconds" backwards button usually sucks nads on most apps.  

My 5 yo is into this doofy Youtuber "Unspeakable" who has his own home and lambo, and is apparently worth about 10 milly. From making minecraft videos. WATTBA.

ETA: Biggest upside is that his gf is thicc.

Did Ja Rule get charged with anything? Was he just a paid marketer of the event?

IT'S MURDA!!!!!!!
Nothing criminal, I believe. You can scam away as long as you're part of a corporation and never really be held liable for anything. Billy's biggest ####-up was the ticket scam after the FF to try and dig himself out, at that point he should've just cut his losses, taken whatever he'd squirreled away, and moved into the woods.

The wildest part of all of this was that it was pretty evident that the thing was going to be a disaster, it was all over Reddit, Twitter, etc. And people still went anyway.
Tbf it was a two week festival and they moved like 20% of one weekends worth over to the island. A lot got stranded in Miami or cancelled.  It makes better internet drama to think they got 10000 millennials stranded when the number was really about 2x737s worth.  

Tbf it was a two week festival and they moved like 20% of one weekends worth over to the island. A lot got stranded in Miami or cancelled.  It makes better internet drama to think they got 10000 millennials stranded when the number was really about 2x737s worth.  
I'll rephrase: It appeared that as if a good percentage of the people who bought tickets still attempted to go on the first weekend. IIRC, there was a sense amongst some of the attendees that they weren't sure how the whole thing was going to go, even as they were literally in the airport. I forget which documentary that was.

Users who are viewing this thread