What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top Rookie RB? (Dynasty) (1 Viewer)

Who's the Top Rookie RB

• Leonard Fournette

Votes: 93 62.8%
  • Christian McCaffrey

Votes: 30 20.3%
  • Dalvin Cook

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Joe Mixson

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Alvin Kamara

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
Don't forget about Foreman.  He could end up in a good situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Cook has the best opportunity to be great with the Vikes.  I don't trust the Jags yet.
Not a great spot for Cook because of the putrid OL, but at least he should stay out of trouble during the long winters here in Minnesota. Not a lot to do here unless he likes ice fishing, snowmobiles, or cross country skiing.  I guess he will have to wait until summer to get into trouble back in Dade county.

Not a great spot for Cook because of the putrid OL, but at least he should stay out of trouble during the long winters here in Minnesota. Not a lot to do here unless he likes ice fishing, snowmobiles, or cross country skiing.
The Vikings offensive line will likely have three new starters. At least two.

Your ranking had Cook #1.  I have him 4th and almost put Foreman ahead of him.
I needed a night to sleep on it... I thought Cook's spot was initially better than I'm realizing it was. Right now Fournette is my top RB by far.  I went through his tape again this morning.  I have never seen a guy consistently run over guys so much. And he is FAST. Once he gets to his top speed he might be the fastest person in the NFL with pads on

I needed a night to sleep on it... I thought Cook's spot was initially better than I'm realizing it was. Right now Fournette is my top RB by far.  I went through his tape again this morning.  I have never seen a guy consistently run over guys so much. And he is FAST. Once he gets to his top speed he might be the fastest person in the NFL with pads on
Running over guys in college is not the same as the NFL which I'm sure you already know. It also leads to a shorter career. I'll take the guy who makes people miss.

Tex

1.  Fournette

2.  Mixon

3.  McCaffrey

4.  Cook

5.  Foreman

6.  Hunt

7. Gallman

8.  Perine

9  Kamara

10. Mack
Updated for Gallman.  I actually like him and he went to a decent spot (Giants).  

I have it Fournette, Mixon, McCaffrey, Cook.

Big dropoff after that cluster, IMO.

Like Mixon more than Fournette from an eyeball test/skill set standpoint. However, being a top 4 pick as a RB is no joke and Fournette will carry huge trade value for a while even if his performance is mediocre based solely on draft pedigree/name/hype.

I have it Fournette, Mixon, McCaffrey, Cook.

Big dropoff after that cluster, IMO.

Like Mixon more than Fournette from an eyeball test/skill set standpoint. However, being a top 4 pick as a RB is no joke and Fournette will carry huge trade value for a while even if his performance is mediocre based solely on draft pedigree/name/hype.
What are your thoughts on Marlon Mack selected by the Colts at the end of the 4th round?  Gore is older than Methuselah.  I just watched some videos on him and he has some gettyup. 

What are your thoughts on Marlon Mack selected by the Colts at the end of the 4th round?  Gore is older than Methuselah.
Pretty average, IMO. A lot of these middle round guys can produce something if they get touches, but their long-term job security is nil.

Pretty average, IMO. A lot of these middle round guys can produce something if they get touches, but their long-term job security is nil.
Can't always say that about all middle rd guys.   Where was Terrell Davis selected?

If you think he's as good as Terrell Davis then by all means pick him in every league, but I don't see anything special about him.

If you think he's as good as Terrell Davis then by all means pick him in every league, but I don't see anything special about him.
Jordan Howard went in the 5th rd.  I'm sure you can find lots of examples of RBs selected in the 4th or 5th rd that have been very good NFL players. 

Mack

Mack (5’11/213) needed only three college seasons to set USF all-time records in rushing yards (3,609), all-purpose yards (4,107), and touchdowns (33), finishing his career with an explosive 6.16 YPC average and 65 receptions. Mack confirmed his plus athleticism in Indy, posting a top-five SPARQ score among running backs with 4.5-flat speed and a springy 10-foot-5 broad jump. On college tape, Mack showed a tendency to bounce runs outside in persistent attempts to turn nothing into something, which can be viewed positively or negatively. Either way, Mack’s playmaking ability and versatility are undeniable. He has some Tevin Coleman to his game as a multi-phase weapon who is dangerous in open space.

Jordan Howard went in the 5th rd.  I'm sure you can find lots of examples of RBs selected in the 4th or 5th rd that have been very good NFL players. 

Mack

Mack (5’11/213) needed only three college seasons to set USF all-time records in rushing yards (3,609), all-purpose yards (4,107), and touchdowns (33), finishing his career with an explosive 6.16 YPC average and 65 receptions. Mack confirmed his plus athleticism in Indy, posting a top-five SPARQ score among running backs with 4.5-flat speed and a springy 10-foot-5 broad jump. On college tape, Mack showed a tendency to bounce runs outside in persistent attempts to turn nothing into something, which can be viewed positively or negatively. Either way, Mack’s playmaking ability and versatility are undeniable. He has some Tevin Coleman to his game as a multi-phase weapon who is dangerous in open space.
He said "a lot of these middle round guys..." so calling out a few outliers doesn't change what he said.

He said "a lot of these middle round guys..." so calling out a few outliers doesn't change what he said.
OK, but we could make that blanket statement every year.  While true, I would like to think about players who turn out like Howard. 

For the record I think Mack has nice speed and decent size and glides well. He can be explosive.  He carries the ball really weirdly so hopefully he doesn't get it stripped by better NFL defenders. Landing in Indy definitely makes him intriguing.

For the record I think Mack has nice speed and decent size and glides well. He can be explosive.  He carries the ball really weirdly so hopefully he doesn't get it stripped by better NFL defenders. Landing in Indy definitely makes him intriguing.
I really like the Colts' draft.  They picked some good defensive players.  Some good DBs, run stuffers on the line, a pass rusher, a needed OL right guard or tackle, and a decent RB prospect.  I also like the Hankins FA signing.  The Colts should be a decent run stopping team this year.  They do needs some more pass rushers however. 

What are your thoughts on Marlon Mack selected by the Colts at the end of the 4th round?  Gore is older than Methuselah.  I just watched some videos on him and he has some gettyup. 
Mack is one of those guys where you look at the team and say 'How can he not be the guy going forward?'. Then the next year Gore is gone & they really address the RB spot with a Saquon Barkley and you have nothing.

You can now say the same thing about Jeremy McNichols.

It has happened to me twice now in the last few years. Gio Bernard then they draft Hill. Freeman then they draft Coleman.

Mack is one of those guys where you look at the team and say 'How can he not be the guy going forward?'. Then the next year Gore is gone & they really address the RB spot with a Saquon Barkley and you have nothing.
I guess we could say that, but I tend to think about what the situation is now with this draft and not think too much who they will take next year.  If Mack turns out to be good, then that's great, if not, then it's not like they are greatly invested in him. 

The cost, however, should be low (from a FF perspective).  Mid-2nd?  It's not like he'll be a top-5 rookie pick.

If he does that in the NFL, that ball is going to look like a squirrel without a tree, teasing a pack of pitbulls.

ETA: Looks like a slightly slower version of Jerrious Norwood, with a little more swivel, which is not terrible at all.

The cost, however, should be low (from a FF perspective).  Mid-2nd?  It's not like he'll be a top-5 rookie pick.
Yes. It just sucks when you draft a guy that should be the guy and then the NFL team thinks they need another guy.

JohnnyU said:
glass half empty?
more like the NFL has been around for 51 years. why not look at drafts a little earlier than 2016 to see how mid round RB picks have turned out?

this is a dyno thread. jordan howard is hardly informative...

more like the NFL has been around for 51 years. why not look at drafts a little earlier than 2016 to see how mid round RB picks have turned out?

this is a dyno thread. jordan howard is hardly informative...
At what point do we feel good about a 4th rounder?  Never?

Five of the top ten backs in my Zealots PPR league were 4th rounders or higher.

Howard

Ajayi

Blount

Freeman

Miller

Two others were third rounders.

David Johnson

Demarco Murray

Five of the top ten backs in my Zealots PPR league were 4th rounders or higher.

Howard

Ajayi

Blount

Freeman

Miller

Two others were third rounders.

David Johnson

Demarco Murray
On the other hand...

9 out of 10 active rushing leaders in the NFL were top 100 draft picks. 5 of those were first round picks.

14 of 20 the top 20 were top 100 draft picks.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_active.htm

The only truly great back on that list who wasn't a high pick was Foster. The other "hits" are guys like Bradshaw, Blount, FJax, Ivory, and Morris who have been useful at times in FF, but were never really core players.

I think it's possible to find good backs in round 5-7+ and occasionally a great one, but the special backs are usually identified as such by the scouting process and tend not to fall much beyond the first 2-3 rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread